ianaconda

Bicycle Suggestions/Discussion [Official]

I don't see a reason to exclude helicopters from the game, like cars they could form the endgame. Difference being that helicopters were far more common in the mod than they should be. Helicopters should be extremely rare, and also extremely hard to find parts for. It's an immersion breaker when you see them flying around on every server. It's seems plausible to see atleast one functioning helicopter in one of your many travels.

I don't see a reason to exclude helicopters from the game, like cars they could form the endgame. Difference being that helicopters were far more common in the mod than they should be. Helicopters should be extremely rare, and also extremely hard to find parts for. It's an immersion breaker when you see them flying around on every server. It's seems plausible to see atleast one functioning helicopter in one of your many travels.

Yeah but this is not a talk about helicopters its about bikes. Come on now stick to the subject! XD

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 1

Yeah but this is not a talk about helicopters its about bikes. Come on now stick to the subject! XD

You know what the problem with threads without a statement or question is?

There's nothing to discuss.

WW2 Motors with side cars, you know for dates.

War_On_Two.jpg

+1

also +1 for heli in dayz

I think they should use the take on helicopters system for helicopters.  Where there's a fairly complex start up procedure.

Helicopters did make the map a lot smaller in the mod, but so did any other vehicle and they offered a good "end game."  Finding a helicopter and repairing it could take some effort, and cool fights usually resulted from it.  They weren't all that powerful besides transport and were a huge target for anyone around the map.  It just offered a whole lot of fun scenarios.

I'd like to see some small planes make it in as well.  The biplanes were really cool in the mod, and a bit less practical than the helicopters.

Helicopters have been all but confirmed, but I'd bet they'll be more towards the end of alpha.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

Why when someone mentions "helicopters" instantly AH-64s come to mind and everyone is like "Let's add laser cannons! /sarcasm". I don't see why it you couldn't get a civilian biplane or helicopter when the game is released as long as it takes a lot of work and in the end is really useless and inefficient.

• Like 1

So back on topic i was thinking mountain bikes and civilian bikes. Than maybe less common bikes like the military bikes from Switzerland

800px-Molen_Tot_Voordeel_en_Genoegen_leg

Bmx Bicycles

X-up.jpg

Than maybe like a VERY VERY rare electric Bicycle you have to find a generator for to power it up.

800px-A_mountain_bike_styled_e-bike%2C_C

The list can go on and on. There are TONES of bike designs that they could add in.

• Like 1

It would be far easier than keeping a helicopter running.

Trains are old tech.

So are helicopters.  But a GE Evolution Series locomotive with it's computer controlled 4,000 hp engine has about as much in common with an old steam locomotive as a AH-64D Apache helicopter does with one of those old M.A.S.H. bubble copters.  Even if locomotive is simpler.  It's fuckin' BIG! 

I don't see what all the anti-helicopter hate is about.  Helicopters were an integral part of the Mod.  It's a big map and a couple of Hueys, Little Birds and HINDS are not going to turn the game into Apocalypse Now.

I mean not like any of this shit matters.  DayZ is still working on new colors of track pants while H1Z1 is developing dynamic weather and rain that only falls where clouds actually are.

So are helicopters.  But a GE Evolution Series locomotive with it's computer controlled 4,000 hp engine has about as much in common with an old steam locomotive as a AH-64D Apache helicopter does with one of those old M.A.S.H. bubble copters.  Even if locomotive is simpler.  It's fuckin' BIG! 

I don't see what all the anti-helicopter hate is about.  Helicopters were an integral part of the Mod.  It's a big map and a couple of Hueys, Little Birds and HINDS are not going to turn the game into Apocalypse Now.

I mean not like any of this shit matters.  DayZ is still working on new colors of track pants while H1Z1 is developing dynamic weather and rain that only falls where clouds actually are.

Offtopic: Lets take into consideration that we have bikes to go through before choppers are even in the game yet. And ppl are getting worried about something thats a long ways from being done yet. One thing is certain though. To many and making it to easy will ruin the game.

On Topic: So bikes, do you have any ides for them? Cause i could give a damn about helicopters or flying at the moment lol. I could see the a stamina system becoming important for these as well including not being able to ride well if sick or falling off the bike if to much blood is lost or injured.

Edited by Deathlove

I am assuming the helicopter hate stems from the desire from alot of the community to have a more authentic, low tech dayz.

More of a emphasis on civilian weapons, survival, and logical gameplay elements.

Less of an emphasis on military aspects such as helicopters, military weapons and high tech gear.

Everything in the game currently just screams post apocalyptic wasteland with gear that is low tech but works, the binoculars are of soviet design, the compass is old and of soviet design, the weapons are very basic and functional.

The hghest tech thing in the game probably the LRS scope looks like a simple duplex hunting optic nothing tactical .

Helicopters would not fit this, they would be jarring but not only that they present too many problems and the negatives far outweigh the positives when it comes to choppers.

Some of the helicopter hate I used to see was making the map too "small" and being too easy to spot tents.

Hopefully they figure out a better system to do tents because the tents in the mod sorta sucked any ways, in their implementation.  Base buildings gonna be a lot more elaborate and should be designed with helicopters in mind too.

Helicopters fit the setting, there's already crashed/burnt out helicopters around the map.  There's military zombies as well, and airfields.

Hell, there's helipads.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

K lol!.... nothing funny after every sentence..

EDIT: yo.

Edited by Solus
  • Like 1

WW2 Motors with side cars, you know for dates.

War_On_Two.jpg

You're looking for something you can fit Hetstaine into aren't you? photo.jpg

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/basic/

Requirement to become a basic helicopter mechanic.

This covers the ability to maintain a single type of airframe.

Yet somehow in game people are proposing that regular people with no experience in piloting or maintenance are able to not only repair but fly a wide assortment of helicopters ?

That makes little sense.

My guy was a helicopter mechanic and pilot before the apocalypse.  Problem solved.

That link has basically nothing to do with anything in terms of practicality either.  I'm honestly not sure why you even linked it.

Basing in game things around what the average person can or can not do is silly.  The whole point of a video game is to play out a fantasy.  Otherwise you may as well just put computers and video games, in the game itself, and let us sit on our asses in game as well.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

http://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/basic/

Requirement to become a basic helicopter mechanic.

This covers the ability to maintain a single type of airframe.

Yet somehow in game people are proposing that regular people with no experience in piloting or maintenance are able to not only repair but fly a wide assortment of helicopters ?

That makes little sense.

It makes little sense that they could not learn on their own if they chose to.. airports are also maintenance yards and therefore would have manuals, parts lists.. tools, etc. It would not be that hard for a smart individual to take the time to figure it out. And time they would have plenty of. Plenty. 

Do you really think that the common survivor would even mess with a helicopter if they did not know how to fly? This same thing goes for the common dayz survivor. They may or may not have ever flown a heli in arma. Its not easy. It takes time to learn.. especially if there is no 3rd person. They will crash.. surely. If they are an experienced pilot, than its plausible that they would know how to maintain the aircraft. So fixing it first is not far off.. 

This argument of yours has been brought up so many times by people complaining against helicopters over the past 2 years and it really comes down to 1 thing: its a game, not genuine real life. 

K lol!.... nothing funny after every sentence..

EDIT: yo.

Should have invested those perks into melee damage. Sniping is for chumps.

Edited by Deathlove

The take on helicopters thing is a nice middle ground because at least from videos I've seen you need to know the process involved to start the thing up.

Like Irish says, even in the mod people were crashing helicopters all the time (I crashed my first few before bothering to actually learn what I was doing) and that was even with auto hover as an option.

You can skip about halfway through.

I don't know the first thing about how to fly a helicopter and if I jumped in this thing in game I'd probably never get it going just doing random shit.  So you learn what's required and you get better at it.  They could even include in game manuals, though most people are just gonna watch videos/tutorials any ways, that's unavoidable.  Sure eventually most people will know exactly what to do, just like how in the mod most people eventually were able to fly, but there's a higher learning curve and it adds something to the game.  Having to flip switches and shit while being under fire would be amazing.

I'd also note that the engine is a modification of take on helicopters to begin with, so I may be totally off base here and maybe they gutted the thing since they gutted vehicles, but I'd like to hope it could be implemented with not too much difficulty.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

My guy was a helicopter mechanic and pilot before the apocalypse.  Problem solved.

That link has basically nothing to do with anything in terms of practicality either.  I'm honestly not sure why you even linked it.

Basing in game things around what the average person can or can not do is silly.  The whole point of a video game is to play out a fantasy.  Otherwise you may as well just put computers and video games, in the game itself, and let us sit on our asses in game as well.

NAW YOU DON'T NEED A HELICOPTER!

You can just ride one of these bad boys and be the coolest guy ever.

maxresdefault.jpg

Now i must warn you holding onto the ass is key to your survival as you will lifted over 100 feet off the ground and in mid air flight.

Offtopic: Lets take into consideration that we have bikes to go through before choppers are even in the game yet. And ppl are getting worried about something thats a long ways from being done yet. One thing is certain though. To many and making it to easy will ruin the game.

On Topic: So bikes, do you have any ides for them? Cause i could give a damn about helicopters or flying at the moment lol. I could see the a stamina system becoming important for these as well including not being able to ride well if sick or falling off the bike if to much blood is lost or injured.

I just remember from the Mod how hilariously dangerous they were.  It was easy to go cruising off a cliff and really mess your shit up.

I just remember from the Mod how hilariously dangerous they were.  It was easy to go cruising off a cliff and really mess your shit up.

Thats why you dont go full speed down hills..... XD

But seriously so much more quite than cars or planes.

I have yet to hear a coherent reason for dismissing helicopters. 

Never understood why people see fit to arbitrarily limit what can and cannot be in DayZ.

Helicopters are here to stay, I love them. They're great. I'm a solo player, so I am rarely able to actually use them effectively. Yet I love them because of the tension they add and never thought they were overly powerful innately.

Edited by Katana67

So back on topic i was thinking mountain bikes and civilian bikes. Than maybe less common bikes like the military bikes from Switzerland

800px-Molen_Tot_Voordeel_en_Genoegen_leg

Bmx Bicycles

X-up.jpg

Than maybe like a VERY VERY rare electric Bicycle you have to find a generator for to power it up.

800px-A_mountain_bike_styled_e-bike%2C_C

The list can go on and on. There are TONES of bike designs that they could add in.

You're really not having much luck on the Bike thing, are you :/

maybe they can enter in a dynamic that if the add helis you will die trying to fly them unless you find all the rare books to increase your knowlege on flying them.  right now they have books that have pretty much no reason for being there.   you must find all the books on how to fly to teach your in game character or you wont be able to fly them. 

You're really not having much luck on the Bike thing, are you :/

No because ppl are to worried if planes are going to be military or civi. Besides if there as rare as i think they are they wont be worth it most of the times.