ianaconda

Bicycle Suggestions/Discussion [Official]

Here's my plan for making bikes not always the best option for transport, when they're implemented, when you find them, over the repair-intensive, fuel-intensive cars and helicopters.

• Bikes cannot be ridden while wearing any backpack with more than 25 items in it. [also, prevent player wearing backpacks while sitting in a car seat-they have to put it in the car inventory before getting in]. If the player tries to get on a bike wearing a 25+ item backpack, they overbalance.
  • Bikes need repair just like cars, getting flat tyres, wrecked gears and broken chains. They will rarely break chain or pop a tyre mid-ride, which can leave you stacked in the centre of a zombie horde.
  • Bikes use up Energy almost as much as sprinting- pedalling periods burn Energy per second.
  • Bikes have a finite "sprinting" [pedalling] period, 30 seconds of pedalling max [works on an unseen "overheat" gauge]. You can cruise on gained speed, but zombies will start to catch up.
  • Bikes have a chance of randomly crashing.
  • Make them a little rarer than Cars, maybe having 40 Bikes on the server all up, and increase their concentration inland.

Of course, we keep the huge advantages-- no fuel needed but Energy, fewer parts required, and still able to outpace a zombie or full sprint player while pedalling for less fuss.

I agree with most of this and the direction you're going, but a couple of my thoughts:  

• I don't like the idea of a special encumbrance-gate for riding a bicycle.  There will be a weight/stamina/encumbrance system implemented and that should be enough
  • They can consume energy/stamina at the same rate as being on foot as long as you cover significantly more distant during that time frame and there should be multiple paces for riding like there are for walking/jogging/sprinting
  • No random crashing, but tire blowouts and broken chains do happen occasionally.  
  • You should be able to ride with a flat tire, but only at slower speeds and it damages the actual rim if you do so
  • Have tires and rims separate items.  Tires can be patched or replaced, but rims once ruined must be replaced.
  • Bent or damaged rims result in slow paces and rough riding 
  • There should be character & item damage if you do crash your bike into something or ride if off something high or overly steep.  
  • Bikes should be more common than cars
  • You should be able to chain bikes to object to prevent thievery and they should be persistent objects
Edited by iBane

You don't ride much bikes do you?

There absolutely is no point in penalizing bikes. The main issues are present in any case: no cargo space (not much any way), no protection, slower speed, no passangers etc. You can be sure that once they bevome implemented they will require up-keep & repairing. That's given.

Sorry to say this, but your suggestion sucks.

Here's my plan for making bikes not always the best option for transport, when they're implemented, when you find them, over the repair-intensive, fuel-intensive cars and helicopters.

• Bikes cannot be ridden while wearing any backpack with more than 25 items in it. [also, prevent player wearing backpacks while sitting in a car seat-they have to put it in the car inventory before getting in]. If the player tries to get on a bike wearing a 25+ item backpack, they overbalance.
  • Bikes need repair just like cars, getting flat tyres, wrecked gears and broken chains. They will rarely break chain or pop a tyre mid-ride, which can leave you stacked in the centre of a zombie horde.
  • Bikes use up Energy almost as much as sprinting- pedalling periods burn Energy per second.
  • Bikes have a finite "sprinting" [pedalling] period, 30 seconds of pedalling max [works on an unseen "overheat" gauge]. You can cruise on gained speed, but zombies will start to catch up.
  • Make them a little rarer than Cars, maybe having 40 Bikes on the server all up, and increase their concentration inland.

Of course, we keep the huge advantages-- no fuel needed but Energy, fewer parts required, and still able to outpace a zombie or full sprint player while pedalling for less fuss.

You've never done any bike touring, have you? You can pack a bike up with a HUGE amount of gear and still be able to go up/down most terrain easily. Remember, cycling is mostly an aerobic exercise. Unless you're heading up long mountain ascents raw power is not an advantage.

As for being rarer than cars, That's not going to happen. and your number of '40'... LOL. How many cars dop you think there are going to be?

• Like 1

Like the idea. Dont like the overbalance thing.  Just make it drain stamina at a higher rate.

I know ive been biking with a HEAVY-ass packpack before, and it hurt my shoulders but I didn't ever eat shit because of it. Perhaps a SLIGHTLY larger chance of falling while turning?

• Like 1

I think  cars should be VERY rare but bicycles should be common.  Also, I road my bike to and from school everyday for a while WITH a heavy backpack on it.  I even went on a overnight outdoor trail on my bike once with a hiking backup on my back.  You can easily ride a bike with a pack on you.  

I think  cars should be VERY rare but bicycles should be common.  Also, I road my bike to and from school everyday for a while WITH a heavy backpack on it.  I even went on a overnight outdoor trail on my bike once with a hiking backup on my back.  You can easily ride a bike with a pack on you.  

I don't think they should be VERY rare, just require some work to repair and maintain. Group play is pivotal to this game, so once they make it impossible to run everywhere, they need an alternative to actually get to your friends and play.

They could always make different types of bikes... maybe even trikes. 

Road, mountain, cruiser...  

And you could have a rare chance of finding a bike with a rack on the back which would allow the attachment of a backpack, or even two as it can be done, giving it storage space.

This way when you leave it somewhere you are risking losing more than just your slightly better than walking transport.

Why weight restriction? I could understand it if you were carrying around 100 kg, but not with 25 items in your backpack.

You could have some weight restriction, but you could expand it with some racks and bags for the bicycle that you could found around to give more room for inventory in the bicycle 

Edited by lazypt

Yes, obviously everyone was riding bikes in the mod, we need to nerf it.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Geckofrog7

Have you been on a bike before?

Yes, but he forgot how to.

How many of you have actually built/repaired bikes?  I do it all the time, and I"ll tell you it can be a huge pain in the *** to try and steal parts from one to repair another.  Depending on the part it can take forever.  It would make more sense (at least to me) that some ride poorly and others better.  Found a bad one, use it if you have to and wait till you find a better one to swap bikes.

Yeah sure, in RL you cannot repair a broken bike with parts from another bike. But this is even worse for complex vehicles.

Try fitting an ATV engine into a Mi17 or URAL tires onto a enduro motorcycle :D

How many of you have actually built/repaired bikes?  I do it all the time, and I"ll tell you it can be a huge pain in the *** to try and steal parts from one to repair another.  Depending on the part it can take forever.  It would make more sense (at least to me) that some ride poorly and others better.  Found a bad one, use it if you have to and wait till you find a better one to swap bikes.

I've repaired bikes alot. There are many, many different standards, not to mention other simple incompatibilities. Still, with a little luck its not impossible to get a working one from mixed sources, if you know what you are doing and are willing to use some brute force solutions... it won't be perfect, sure, but working.

More to the point, DayZ should not be a bike repair simulator. Maybe we could just assume that the Chernarussian Standardization Agency was most efficient in implementing their universal CSA-threaded bottom brackets and what not. (Actually that would make sense, given that in a place like Chernarus - Soviet times and all - most bikes probably came from one factory ...)

A realistic maintainance just isn't a realistic thing to expect - simulating the whole thing just would be too complicated.

Also, bikes dont usually require that much constant care, part usually last for very long times etc. And think how many fully functional bikes there are around in real world in any case. Hence no undue complexties are needed.

Edited by janol

OP has never rode a bicycle in his life.

Have you been on a bike before?

You've never done any bike touring, have you?

You don't ride much bikes do you?

None of you come up with original posts much, do you?

I do ride bikes quite often, a mountain bike as a matter of fact, and I also have been hiking on about four occasions. I can tell you matter-of-factly that you have no chance at getting on a mountain bike and actually riding it normally with a large mountain backpack which is taller than your head on your back overbalancing you. This is why I suggested the weight gate on bicycles to ride them, to save the devs the work of having to put in the physics and animations for being retarded enough to get on a bike, thinking you aren't too heavy with a full combat vest, full pockets, full shirt pockets, a rifle, a fire axe and a full hiking backpack and then falling over like the fat heavy shit you would realistically be.

Bikes will be overpowered, because when all you really want is something to outrun zombies, bikes triple your current walking speed IRL. They need no fuel, and sure they need repairs, but not to the standard of cars. Bikes are much less hassle than cars, and the "less protection than cars" argument is silly when a car's driver is surrounded by glass windscreens and windows anyway.

Rarer than cars? 40 per server? There should be loads of bikes! They should be around every corner as they are in real life!

#Realism

Thank you for your very well thought out and not at all parochial comment, Korsbaek, "master of Random". I'm sure you realise this game is set in a poor post-Soviet country and not in your home country of Denmark, which Google lists as officially the first Bike City Of The World?

http://denmark.dk/en/green-living/bicycle-culture/

Bikesbikesbikesbikes.

Edited by bobotype3334

I would like it if you dont have a backpack on, you can carry a bike.

Maybe, considering im sure it would be carried over the shoulder.. You would have to drop the bike before being able to shoot and such.

Edited by cels

And not as in randomly crashes every 3 seconds, obviously. It's taking into account stones and shit popping a tire, causing damage to it, causing you to crash.

I get that you are working on getting vehicles back into the game, but in the meantime, couldn't you put the old bikes back so that it isn't such a mind-numbing grind to get where you want to go on the map?

• Like 4