ianaconda

Bicycle Suggestions/Discussion [Official]

I get that you are working on getting vehicles back into the game, but in the meantime, couldn't you put the old bikes back so that it isn't such a mind-numbing grind to get where you want to go on the map?

What do you mean with "put back in"? When were they taken out?

Also: it's not as easy as one would think. The hive needs to save their position, you will have to have a system in place for it. It needs to save, it needs to be monitored, it needs to respawn.

There's a lot more to it than just place 2-3 bikes on the map and done.

As in, the bikes that exist within the Arma 2 assets, that were in the mod that could be added into the SA...

Sure, why not just spawn a few less f**king crash helmets, baseball caps or countless other useless crap...It's not like anyone gives a s**t.

If it causes any additional bugs then I rather vote no. More important things are to be done. Vehicles don't affect gameplay all that much besides you will be able to move faster. This map isn't so big, running is fine and safer anyway.

• Like 1

Sure, why not just spawn a few less f**king crash helmets, baseball caps or countless other useless crap...It's not like anyone gives a s**t.

If you weren't ranting and instead giving useful input we could start a discussion, but as I mentioned prior - it's not that easy, considering it needs monitoring in the Database. And that for all servers out there. All of them.

• Like 1

As in, the bikes that exist within the Arma 2 assets, that were in the mod that could be added into the SA...

Bikes,along with other vechicles need to be done from scratch if we want to have a solid game.

We can't have the old bicycle models just because your ass is feeling sore and you are bored to walk.

That would cause a shit-storm of bugs,we are talking about a new game here,not a mod.Get your sh*t together.

hold you're fat finger on W and survive like everyone else. I rather not become a target on a bike with no defense. BOOT

• Like 3

If you weren't ranting and instead giving useful input we could start a discussion, but as I mentioned prior - it's not that easy, considering it needs monitoring in the Database. And that for all servers out there. All of them.

I am just sick of all the DayZ SA apologists. You are not helping the game get any better by blindly defending the devs and their continual excuse of "It's not our fault, the engine blah blah blah..." QQ

They keep adding in new stuff without fixing what is already broken like zombies clipping through walls and objects. A bug that has existed since the beginning of the mod.

Players don't clip through walls and objects, so why is it so hard to make zombies obey the same rule? Is the engine really that broken? Then the game is doomed.

Rocket himself said just after reaping all the money from the alpha launch that the game would never be as good as he envisioned...Then he announced that he would jump ship. This doesn't sound to me like he has much confidence in their ability to make a good game to me. Sounds like he has his money and can't wait to wash his hands of it.

Edited by soapmak3r

I am just sick of all the DayZ SA apologists. You are not helping the game get any better by blindly defending the devs and their continual excuse of "It's not our fault, the engine blah blah blah..." QQ

That is not what is going on, though. I don't think you're aware how much work it would mean to do these things. I tried pointing it out to you a couple of times, but you seemed to be ignoring that, which doesn't make me feel like you're trying to engage in a helpful / constructive discussion.

To put it in your words: You aren't helping the game by having a non-constructive discussion and making yourself look bad without even trying to bring in any valid arguments up but instead by ignoring other people's arguments.

They keep adding in new stuff without fixing what is already broken like zombies clipping through walls and objects. A bug that has existed since the beginning of the mod.

That should give you a hint of how big of a problem that is and that it's not fixed in a mere 3 months since release, while they're still working on other problems.

Adding in more clothing doesn't have anything to do with fixing bugs.

Graphics isn't the same department as coding.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

Players don't clip through walls and objects, so why is it so hard to make zombies obey the same rule? Is the engine really that broken? Then the game is doomed.

Rocket himself said just after reaping all the money from the alpha launch that the game would never be as good as he envisioned...Then he announced that he would jump ship. This doesn't sound to me like he has much confidence in their ability to make a good game to me. Sounds like he has his money and can't wait to wash his hands of it.

Well, neither does adding bicycles. So, I guess you are what you are sick of.

For everyone's sake, if you make a suggestion - think how drastically it would change the game-play and how difficult it would to do.

Still, nope.

I get that you are working on getting vehicles back into the game, but in the meantime, couldn't you put the old bikes back so that it isn't such a mind-numbing grind to get where you want to go on the map?

The uh... reason why they can't do this... is made apparent by the topic itself.

Let me rephrase it: 

Put [vehicles] [into] the game until you have the new vehicle system ready.

^^ that doesn't make a lot of sense

in addition i notice a lot of low end computer users complaining about low fps in cities, so crashing an entire server by flying your bike through cherno seems likely at this point.

Edited by crimsonBZD

I'm with you soapmak3r. Its up to the community to voice their opinion. The devs have to listen to feedback from us. They have specifically stated they listen to our feedback. If some people feel that vehicles need to be added asap in order to facilitate a more enjoyable gaming session than thats your right to speak up. Vehicles were in the mod and didnt destabilize gameplay balance then and wont now. If you feel your voice is being oppressed by close minded fanboys who want to play semantical games and offer vile generic pavlovian response, you should tell them how you feel. You're sick of it. I'm sick of it. Deal with OUR opinions, cause we have to put up with yours.

• Like 3

I'm with you soapmak3r. Its up to the community to voice their opinion. The devs have to listen to feedback from us. They have specifically stated they listen to our feedback. If some people feel that vehicles need to be added asap in order to facilitate a more enjoyable gaming session than thats your right to speak up. Vehicles were in the mod and didnt destabilize gameplay balance then and wont now. If you feel your voice is being oppressed by close minded fanboys who want to play semantical games and offer vile generic pavlovian response, you should tell them how you feel. You're sick of it. I'm sick of it. Deal with OUR opinions, cause we have to put up with yours.

ArmA had working vehicle system. DayZ does not. What is there to not understand? I don't try to be rude - speak up but there is no point of making such suggestions. These can't be added if there is no working vehicle system and adding another half-assed thing into the game may make you happier because you can get faster to NW airfield to loot all the barracks but once you get killed by 300 bugs and glitches that it comes with, you think differently.

Also, "I want vehicles because running to [enter popular loot spawn] takes too long and I don't want to waste my time running" is not feedback.

Vehicles will be added when they are ready for it. Meanwhile, you could focus on giving real feedback like "loot can't be picked up in any way" or "walking upstairs throws you into space and kills you". That would be feedback aka something is wrong and should be fixed. The time it gets fixed is not what we can affect though unless you want to put yourself up for a job to dev team.

There is no hope for the game if the devs only hear their apologists that shout the loudest and attack anyone that makes a valid suggestion. I challenge these people to find me one single source that says they could not add the Arma 2 bikes into the game right now if they wanted to.

The devs keep adding in more and more complex gameplay mechanics, but they are completing ignoring what is fundamentally broken ie. the monotony of travelling through featureless countryside with nothing to do and zeds clipping through walls and other objects.

They need to fix these things first before worrying about diseases, blood tests, transfusions, etc. etc.

Increased realism in survival mechanics means absolutely nothing if zeds are running through walls like they don't exist, or you have to spend 45 minutes to an hour jogging across a map to rendezvous with your friends, just to have a more enjoyable, social experience with the game...

There is no hope for the game if the devs only hear their apologists that shout the loudest and attack anyone that makes a valid suggestion. I challenge these people to find me one single source that says they could not add the Arma 2 bikes into the game right now if they wanted to.

The devs keep adding in more and more complex gameplay mechanics, but they are completing ignoring what is fundamentally broken ie. the monotony of travelling through featureless countryside with nothing to do and zeds clipping through walls and other objects.

They need to fix these things first before worrying about diseases, blood tests, transfusions, etc. etc.

Increased realism in survival mechanics means absolutely nothing if zeds are running through walls like they don't exist, or you have to spend 45 minutes to an hour jogging across a map to rendezvous with your friends, just to have a more enjoyable, social experience with the game...

I don't see any attacking you or even being impolite besides you going frenzy over bicycles and zombies-objects collision

As you say yourself, they need to fix important things first, then think about adding bicycles and other stuff. Your posts contradict themselves. Give it some time and hope you didn't get robbed for your 30$ like everyone else.

• Like 1

Holy irrational anger, batman. Guys, I for one deeply apologize for being an opressive fanboy (lol). Whats that, the dev team has a schedule for concepts they will be implementing? RUBBISH!!! When I say give me bikes, I want them post haste! Whats that? The game is in alpha? RUBBISH!!! Bikes!! Now!!!!

Seriously though, just have patience. If the game was released in final form and didn't have bikes it would he one thing, but its an alpha and part of this early access thing is having patience and giving the devs useful feedback. They've heard your voice for bikes and I'm sure they'll get to them as soon as possible. They can't just drop what they're doing to give you what you want immediately. As far as the zombie clipping issue I'm fairly certain that has to do with saving the zombie's location on the server and being that these are just test servers they're still imperfect. As the alpha progresses they will add server stability and the problem will be resolved.

Why is running so hard for people?

We did it all the time in the mod.

Spawn on the coast, haul your ass around Cherno/Elektro. Haul your ass north thorugh Starry to NWAF. Haul your ass to Devil's. Haul your ass to NEAF.

Do this ad nauseum or until you find tents and can setup a base camp. Then you haul your ass from tents to point of interest then back to tents until your eyes bleed.

Plus, even if they add vehicles its not going to be like the mod was with "99 GORRILION VEHICLES HELIS ON EVERY CORNER JETS ON ALL RUNWAYS" it's going to be like in the beginning where they were so damn rare it was easier to walk and even if you saw one fixing it was usually so much work it wasn't even worth it.

They have already stated that they are working on the vehicle system.  Physics was JUST added to the game.  That was step one.  They also stated that the bicycle would be the first vehicle added.  Look a little deeper and you would see that what you want is already in motion. 

Read patch notes. 
Watch dev blogs. 
Listen to the Alpha reminder.

Oh! I see a 8 year old boy screaming: "GIVE ME MY BIKEEEE NOOOOWWW!!!!"

seriusly, don't buy alpha games guys if you are in rush for evrything.. see you in 2015.. :D

Edited by JKS-Alex
  • Like 2

It's not like noone is listening to the community, infact the dev's listen to the community quite a lot and take all the feedback into account. This feedback needs to arrive in appropriate fashion, though. If someone is just ranting about vehicles not taking into account how much work it is to implement the vehicles then I don't consider that appropriate feedback. That's just my oppinion, though.

The vehicles are being worked on and rocket himself stated multiple times that the bikes are going to come sooner than anyone would expect them to be. But instead of doing a bit of research and calming down before posting soapmaker jumps on here ranting about bicycles and not realising noone is going against him, but ccalls us all fanboys.

There is no hope for the game if the devs only hear their apologists that shout the loudest and attack anyone that makes a valid suggestion. I challenge these people to find me one single source that says they could not add the Arma 2 bikes into the game right now if they wanted to....

I can give you a reliable source for that. My experience. What do you think is needed to bring the bicycles in the game?

• If they were to add the ARMA 2 bikes they would look like shit, because the textures are old and not designed for DayZ. Imagine the feedback of that. More people would just jump on here complaining about them, just because you wanted to have them ASAP without giving it any thought?

• How would it work with the Database? It takes a lot of time and work implementing them into the database, so they save their position, respawn if necessary (not used for a while for example). Not only is it necessary to implement a respawn-query, but a damagehandler, a check whether it's being used or not.

• If you say they needn't be implemented into the DB, what would happen with them? Would they just spawn in the same location, so people would effectively farm them / serverhop to get a bicycle to get up north ASAP? If they wouldn't save to the DB it would destroy the feeling, as it would just be a race to the bicycle, that's all.

• Who would find the locations? Someone would have to spend hours searching for places where bicycles could spawn.

I could go on forever, as you don't seem to be understanding how it works and that it takes longer than 5 minutes to implement bikes. You also don't seem to be understanding, that it's already being worked on, so go out there and acquire a bit of knowledge about the current situation before coming back.

TL;DR: Think before posting.

Edited by kichilron

When I become a game developer, I'm going to link the game to the forums and when someone posts something idiotic, they'll temporarily spawn back in as a chicken.

<p>It doesn't work. Changes in the skeleton and such mean that getting into Arma vehicles with the DayZ character turns you into a stretched monster with millions of arms and faces. Its not just "Add it back in"</p>

<p>And its not like they will be everywhere, anyway.</p>

They ARE fixing the basics, and adding stuff at the same time. I don't see why you think this is a problem.

The bikes could probably be kludged in, but why waste the time and money, when they already plan to implement at new vehicle system down the road? This is all just about you being too lazy to walk, isn't it?

*turns on computer to play DayZ* Oh DayZ has a new update, let me check the change log while it downloads. "Thanks to a genius idea from one of our many Alpha testers we have decided to add Arma 2 bikes into the Standalone until furhter notice" Sweet bikes! *spawns in DayZ, aquires a gun, food, ammo, backpack, then with a twist of luck finds a bike by the road* Oh cool i found one!! *gets on the bike and proceeds to fly 15 feet into the air and get stuck* Wait what?.. *tries to get off the bike but falls 15 feet then gets teleported back up and falls again in an endless loop* Fucking stupid bikes

This is an idea of what would happen if you got your bikes

Edited by Gregar700

You guys are all dicks. Seriously, after reading these posts I'm a little saddened at the complete lack of any respect or even just a normal conversation! The guy made a suggestion (a little bit of a bitchy one at that) and you all jump down his throat like Dean Hall's mother. Seriously, especially kichilron. If he's wrong, you don't have to fuckin insult the guy.

I mean shit, why are you guys even on the suggestion board? Just to tell people their ideas are stupid?

• Like 1