rocket

Security Vulnerabilities fixed by Patch #2 and Character wipe

If I may ask, do you have any info on what exactly was spawned in? If you can't reveal the information to me, I understand. I'm just curious is all.

It's so easy to get "Max Geared" Because of so little content currently in the game. So a wipe is no big deal. (Not complaining just observing)

there is a ban hammer associated to this? i hope those hackers got the hammer for good, so the only way for them to come back is to buy the game again, and this time play fair.

I'd love it if they did that to them.

I don't have to assume anything, Rocket's directly acknowledged it, this entire thread is an acknowledgement of what was not assumed but established as fact...the post itself is supposedly promising the solution to said facts.

Now if the solution works, great, but the credibility of the security should have never been in question, not after the mod and all the experience gained there and definitely not after spending a year and a half talking about how much more secure the stand alone would be because it would "have to be".

I was specifically talking about your implication that their architecture changes were a lie. That's the problem I have with your posts. You make a connection from Rocket saying there was security issue to architecture was a lie. If you can't back that up with a rational discussion, I'm done feeding the trolls.

I was specifically talking about your implication that their architecture changes were a lie. That's the problem I have with your posts. You make a connection from Rocket saying there was security issue to architecture was a lie. If you can't back that up with a rational discussion, I'm done feeding the trolls.

I have not stated they were a lie, what I stated was they were a major point of development conversation and the explanation from Dean is difficult to understand at best. The situation has gone from "we had security features turned off to help with initial launch stability" to "sometimes when you build a new architecture you sometimes forget to remove the old one".

I have not at any point said Dean Hall is a liar, I'm not joining that crowd of people. The thread speaks for itself.

• Like 2

You didn't explicitly say he lied. But, you questioned his honor. People who trust the developer don't write things like "if you've actually".

Edit: Also, putting the quotes around forget implies you think that might be a lie.

You know I totally get this, dirty/elegant hacks are a standard of the business when dealing with non-in house engines....but seriously. You can pull up an entire page of interviews with Dean from over the last year alone where server/client security was a major topic of discussion....the ability to just "forget" to remove superceded architecture if you've actually replaced it simply boggles the mind.

Also, the situation hasn't gone from "we had security features turned off to help with initial launch stability" to "sometimes when you build a new architecture you sometimes forget to remove the old one". Both of those statements are still true as far as I know.

Aim botting and stuff is due to no security detection. Injecting scripts is due to old code. How is that confusing to you? Or rather, how does that make Rocket look bad? My mind is boggling.

Edited by bad_mojo

A48NOWf.jpg

We're all saying the same to you, Sergey. You admitted yourself that you haven't played the Standalone so... Go away? lol. Why do you waste your time here? Nothing better to do what with WarZ being a smashing success and all?

• Like 1

My only problem with this approach (fixing security wholes without punishing hackers) is that it only encourages them to keep trying to find new wholes... becomes a cat/mouse game that the mouse will always be a step ahead. The only way to stop hacking is to punish hard the ones that are doing it.. that way they won't risk trying new ways to hack since they could eventually be caught and punished for it...

Bear in mind... the clients ability to dictate the server with a scripting language was specifically advertised to have been resolved.

I just guess that they've written a way so they don't need that code anymore but nobody just didn't delete the old part. Kind of "Ah it's finished now and working. I'll remove that unnecessary old part tomorrow..." but that somebody didn't remember to do that. They had found a way to stop the easy scripting but forgot to close the door behind but now it's finally closed. Got to hope that this door was the only one and now people really need to start hacking.

You didn't explicitly say he lied. But, you questioned his honor. People who trust the developer don't write things like "if you've actually".

Also, the situation hasn't gone from "we had security features turned off to help with initial launch stability" to "sometimes when you build a new architecture you sometimes forget to remove the old one". Both of those statements are still true as far as I know.

Aim botting and stuff is due to no security detection. Injecting scrips is due to old code. How is that confusing to you? Or rather, how does that make Rocket look bad? My mind is boggling.

First of all in this day and age its the duty of an intelligent consumer to not trust developers and its the developers, et all, that have given us every reason to be critical of them and the state of the industry at large in general, but thats a topic for another discussion entirely.

You ask how it makes Rocket "look bad" I'm not saying it makes Rocket look "bad" I'm saying it makes him look oblivious to the issues in of which the key tenants of the stand alone were built around. Which is, in fact, a direct impossibility given the amount of publicly available press that shows hes not just aware of it hes been more than willing to discuss it candidly and confidently state that their developmental work on the stand alone was built around understanding that increased security was a key point in the potential success of DayZ as a stand alone game as compared to a not for profit mod.

Alpha or not, the first things you want to establish is what you've done better.  In feature development I believe thats been readily demonstrated, in overall security, they dropped the ball and whether that was intentional or unintentional is completely irrelevant. The fact that the ball was dropped is what is patently ridiculous given how self aware and honestly critical Dean has been about the state of the game over the last year and a half of development.

• Like 1

all holes must be found to be able to patch them out.

there hasn't been a single loot based game that has had no item spawning exploits. they were all patched out eventually.

this is just the alpha, so stuff like this is TO BE EXPECTED.

LOL okay.

So it's your duty as a consumer to distrust Rocket and assume they didn't change the architecture. Gotcha.

Really dropping the ball there Rocket, he expected 100% hack free and patches that come out before they're needed.

semipr0, you crack me up. Nice trolling.

LOL okay.

So it's your duty as a consumer to distrust Rocket and assume they didn't change the architecture. Gotcha.

Really dropping the ball there Rocket, he expected 100% hack free and patches that come out before they're needed.

semipr0, you crack me up. Nice trolling.

Its my duty as a consumer to distrust anyone trying to sell me something especially if I go into the arrangement knowing the product isn't completed. I don't trust the Fun Pimps either, I don't trust Chucklefish, I don't trust Doublefine...I definitely don't trust EA or Activision or Ubisoft or any of their subsidiaries.

I've actually had a great amount of trust in Rocket over the last year and a half where I've watched most of my contemporaries fall into the camp of people that paint Dean as incompetent. Rocket's ability to be brutally honest about the state of his own game in public press during conventions alone has made me trust him.

So when someone you trust turns around and says stuff like "oh yeah that security thing, we kinda forgot to remove some old stuff....no worries mate"...it makes you go...wait a second this is what I was trusting you to do in the first place.

I'm a long time server admin for DayZ servers, I've been a fan of the mod since it was released and the hacks and security issues it had turned that into a severe love/hate relationship at best. But I trusted Rocket to have this subject in hand when the SA released and alpha or not, security has always been a key area of debate in regards to DayZ's future.

Feel free to try to laugh my concerns off and minmalize them as "trolling" if you feel that wins you the argument cause to be honest I'm tried of having to reiterate the same points to you over and over and have you continually defend Rocket in auto-Fanboy mode.

I trusted Rocket to deliver a game where the server can't be duped by the client into accepting data that isn't valid. Thats really all I wanted for my 30 dollars or the thousands I've spent over the last year and a half hosting servers. Hopefully this latest revision achieves that and I can finally feel like my "trust" in Dean Hall was valid.

• Like 3

You're basically debating with a brick wall, semipr0. It's kind of pointless at this point.

• Like 2

I'll be the first to say it, me and my friend didn't get wiped. We crashed (I'm assuming that was the wipe) but we both logged back in and we have all of our stuff still (and I just read this post and logged back in and still have my stuff) so.... I dunno

I get it semipr0, you and RhinoCRUN....err lazy2guns feel like you were deceived by Rocket and tricked into believing he had our best interests at heart. You trusted him to deliver a 100% hack free game, and he failed you. Now, you've gotta question everything he has ever said and ever will say.

I guess I'm just too naive and trusting because I believe him when he says it was old code, instead of assuming it's part of a year long scam to sell us the same old architecture and constantly lie about it in public interviews and on these forums in this thread. I'm a sheep, what can I say?

• Like 2

I'm sorry this is by far the dumbest post I've read in the history of these forums and that is saying a lot. Look, I get it, you're not a programmer, you're the game designer. You come up with some solid ideas. But fucking hell man what on god's earth are you talking about?

Just out of curiosity, what do you do for a living, when you're not trolling?  You have very strong opinions about software development, but these opinions seem to indicate very little actual experience with software development.

• Like 1

PEOPLE! STOP!
STOP BEING SO COOL ABOUT IT!

Im running out of beans for people with common sense and understanding of an alpha... damned!

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

Good job. Now just make that I dont have to eat and drink every 5 minutes. And make more zombies to spawn instead of having a few super fast super smart spec op zombies, who chase me untill I pass out :)

Good job. Now just make that I dont have to eat and drink every 5 minutes. And make more zombies to spawn instead of having a few super fast super smart spec op zombies, who chase me untill I pass out :)

I've found the best way to get away from zombies it to run around objects like fences or the corners of houses it slows them down and after a bit they lose you

I'm sorry this is by far the dumbest post I've read in the history of these forums and that is saying a lot. Look, I get it, you're not a programmer, you're the game designer. You come up with some solid ideas. But fucking hell man what on god's earth are you talking about?

Look at his avatar and its name. He doesnt like rocket. To much aggression.  Your mother should have swallowed you

Edited by liquidcactus
  • Like 1

Bunch of wasted time for a lot of people. Can't wait for the next update to see it erase everyones character they spent hours on gearing up. This is why you didn't make more money off this game. Broken promises, a bugged out alpha you should have released months ago if it was going to be just like the mod when it first came out. You learn how to fix bugs from people using your software, not lab testing a game with a certain group of people who couldn't figure out the basic fixes so this type of things wouldn't happen cause in the end it destroys your BRAND and makes you guys make less and less money. Much like when the mod had it's issues and it left a sour taste in many gamers mouths until things got fixed. Even though I'm pissed I lost my character, keep up the good work. 

Edited by dayzus

You're basically debating with a brick wall, semipr0. It's kind of pointless at this point.

You are quite the persistent one lol.

In more important matters, although all the stuff I've had was lost I don't mind about this character sweep at all. As a couple of people have said it will better improve upon the future of the game and that's what truly matters in the long run.  And Dean please, keep making those hackers pay ;) Keep up the hard work!! AND Thank you.