rocket

Security Vulnerabilities fixed by Patch #2 and Character wipe

Rocket my character seems to have been spared for some odd reason. Just FYI........dont kill him
Also the new update has the loot spawns and performance running lovely for me, looking better than mod already tbh!

I'm sorry this is by far the dumbest post I've read in the history of these forums and that is saying a lot. Look, I get it, you're not a programmer, you're the game designer. You come up with some solid ideas. But fucking hell man what on god's earth are you talking about?

i suppose you want to link us to the big game you've been working on for the past 2 years ? because you're so active and motivated and all with your super witty name.  

• Like 1

Right, so instead of implementing a "MMO framework" your plan was to "leave it as is" and slowly plug holes under the pretense/shield of "it's Alpha!". Yeah, nah. I loved the mod, I had great hopes for this game last year but I'm glad I didn't buy nor will I likely ever, especially if this "Alpha" is expected to last up to a year. Trial & error isn't how you write server software. Cheers.

You talk like you developed a game before

Great job closing the loop holes quickly this is encouraging, it was a hot topic in my group today.

I'm sorry this is by far the dumbest post I've read in the history of these forums and that is saying a lot. Look, I get it, you're not a programmer, you're the game designer. You come up with some solid ideas. But fucking hell man what on god's earth are you talking about?

What I really, really wanna know is why you're even playing the game or on the forums? You've been a member of the forum community (you know, where members of the real community are) since the SA has dropped. In the meanwhile, you've racked up an impressive pile of arrogant and self-righteous bullshit, whilst managing to piss off almost everyone you've spoken to (directly or indirectly). You clearly don't like the game in this state or the dev team... which is why I wanna know why the hell you're even here?

So far, you can be identified as a troll with above average intelligence. If you have some unwarranted personal vendetta against the dev team, this is not the place to express it. They owe you nor' any of us anything as of this moment.

Cute name btw. The man climbed Everest and you're a keyboard warrior that's probably stuffing his face with Lays or Cheetos. GG

• Like 13

Shall we refer to this wipe as the 2nd apocalypse :P

Back to the search for the holy grail of the DayZ alpha...the can opener! :)

All these beans, I'm so hungray

Edited by NO_FEAR
  • Like 1

Is this delayed for some as I've switched servers a few times and still have all my gear.

I think you should gtfo of any SA posts. If you didnt play SA and you dont have any acknowledge with SA (apart from streams) you shouldnt really comment and critique on any alpha stuff and stop being bitchy. I dont know what you're trying to proof... HATERS GONNA HATE!!!

Sometimes, when you build a new architecture, you can forget to remove a part of the old one :)

Wtf-did-i-just-read.jpg

Seriously? You forget? Listen I have my own code base and its got a lot of legacy stuff in it too but that legacy code from 2007 has functional use in 2013, otherwise it would have been outmoded and superceded by better functionality.

I don't usually communicate in memes but you're not really giving me alot of choice in the matter. That is single handedly the silliest thing I have ever read from a lead developer. Who forgot? And if they forgot...why? And exactly how do you forget something that is such a key component of how your server and client packages communicate that you just....forget to remove it. What? You can't even just comment out the code...I mean leave it there but just add a couple forward slashes so its not actually read by the process? Thats not that hard.

Good god almighty.

Edited by semipr0
  • Like 7

Sounds good. As someone who doesn't really trust developers this is good news. It's nice to know your addressing security at this stage of the game. It makes me feel like you guys are doing the right thing. I've been vocal and negative towards the dayz dev team but if you guys keep working like this then I will be more than happy to say I was wrong.

I'm disappointed by some of the community for it's impatient and improper demeanor; my reasons are that Rocket and the team done what everyone was asking for which was simply an alpha release this year. We all knew what was coming when the word alpha was labeled with the product and they listened to what the majority has wanted but it comes with a price like so: This is not final.

For now this is a perfect opportunity to square away the issues by reporting them and I really appreciate the daily patches that have been rolling in since the release on Steam. (Thanks for that) :)

• Like 2

Seriously? You forget? Listen I have my own code base and its got a lot of legacy stuff in it too but that legacy code from 2007 has functional use in 2013, otherwise it would have been outmoded and superceded by better functionality.

I don't usually communicate in memes but you're not really giving me alot of choice in the matter. That is single handedly the silliest thing I have ever read from a lead developer. Who forgot? And if they forgot...why? And exactly how do you forget something that is such a key component of how your server and client packages communicate that you just....forget to remove it. What? You can't even just comment out the code...I mean leave it there but just add a couple forward slashes so its not actually read by the process? Thats not that hard.

You have to remember this started as a mod. It most likely, if not certainly, did not have project management.

Theres probably hacks everywhere in the original codebase just to get it working right with Arma 2 and I'd wager its been a nightmare to even get it this far.

Right, so instead of implementing a "MMO framework" your plan was to "leave it as is" and slowly plug holes under the pretense/shield of "it's Alpha!". Yeah, nah. I loved the mod, I had great hopes for this game last year but I'm glad I didn't buy nor will I likely ever, especially if this "Alpha" is expected to last up to a year. Trial & error isn't how you write server software. Cheers.

why on earth are there people giving this guy beans

what is the world coming to

Wtf-did-i-just-read.jpg

Good god almighty.

From the sounds of your post, Jackie Chan is likely more capable of understanding Rockets quoted post.

Why would you think that any company or game developer would put the person responsible for forgetting to remove something on public display for shaming?

Why would you both describing how to comment out SQF code to someone who has engine access and is an BI employee?

Forgot would imply that it was a mistake not a choice as you attempt to assert towards the end.

I'm guessing that the software you work on isn't surrounded by a whirlwind of press, open development, or public pressure. I'm also guessing that you have at some point in your career and life have made a mistake or two.

Good on Rocket for laying it out honestly like that, and you suck for trying to be a cocky dick about it.

Something tells me at the end of the day Rocket is a hair more talented and qualified than you, or most folks so eager to try to take the piss.

Back On Topic...

I've never been so happy that I died from playing on a server that wasn't updated yet last night and couldn't drink from a well... I almost cried, I had JUST found a 20 round mag, and a silencer and was imagining how long I could make those last... 

20 minutes was not the number I was hoping for.

• Like 1

You have to remember this started as a mod. It most likely, if not certainly, did not have project management.

Theres probably hacks everywhere in the original codebase just to get it working right with Arma 2 and I'd wager its been a nightmare to even get it this far.

You know I totally get this, dirty/elegant hacks are a standard of the business when dealing with non-in house engines....but seriously. You can pull up an entire page of interviews with Dean from over the last year alone where server/client security was a major topic of discussion....the ability to just "forget" to remove superceded architecture if you've actually replaced it simply boggles the mind.

• Like 3

Great work Rocket in finding the problems b4 they got out of hand,

1 Thing i dont understand why you would close of the -server on the exe file just stops the people who wanna setup private hives and push other areas 

the ability to just "forget" to remove superceded architecture if you've actually replaced it simply boggles the mind

Cheers.

• Like 2

Great job closing the loop holes quickly this is encouraging, it was a hot topic in my group today.

Love the sig..what sim ?

You know I totally get this, dirty/elegant hacks are a standard of the business when dealing with non-in house engines....but seriously. You can pull up an entire page of interviews with Dean from over the last year alone where server/client security was a major topic of discussion....the ability to just "forget" to remove superceded architecture if you've actually replaced it simply boggles the mind.

"if you've actually replaced it"

So... you're implying they lied to us and the architecture is still the same as Arma2? You got all this from hackers finding an open door in the code? Damn, your detective skills, they're mind boggling.

I have played many MMO alphas and i can't remeber a single one that didn't have a server rewind at some point in development, as its the FIRST update since the release a total nuke instead of a rewind seems sensible, i mean nobody had it before this update, so if you rewind it back to the start everyone would  have nothing no? or is that too obvious??!