SmashT

December Round-up: ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE SA

To some, it's not about the ends. Given Rocket's qualms, it's less about getting some preliminary testing done and more about not wanting to play favorites. I think Rocket's stance is commendable. He didn't have to put it to the community either, so it's clearly a conflicted issue with the developers and is by no means cut and dry in terms of the debate.

I can definitley see where you're coming from, I just feel like he picked streamers because they're more known and possibly trusted than people out of the community such as the forums and reddit. Not saying they're better people or better players, just that maybe he feels he can trust them more.

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE-TRAIN !!! CHOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, WAIT, this is the First class VIP train, we'll have to wait for the next one...............

• Like 1

I can definitley see where you're coming from, I just feel like he picked streamers because they're more known and possibly trusted than people out of the community such as the forums and reddit. Not saying they're better people or better players, just that maybe he feels he can trust them more.

I think what needs to be established, that hasn't been (to my knowledge) is "Why did this need to happen?"

Moreover, is this necessary? Are they wanting to include streamers to bolster their ranks because they cannot accomplish an adequate pre-release test? Or are they wanting to give time to streamers to gather information before releasing it to the public post-release?

If it really needed to happen I think they'd've just gone ahead and done it. And if it's not necessary, I don't think it's worth having to navigate a potential minefield of favoritism from this point forward.

This is somewhat academic at this point, as it seems Rocket's made up his mind.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Hello there

Whilst there may be some *personalities* testing, they are not in the majority. Many are *unknowns* but are folk who have contributed to the game with interesting posts both here and on reddit etc and some who have a very neutral take on the SA.

Some of the main criteria required is folk who are considered trustworthy and reliable, its not just about the "cool" factor.

We're not all fanbois. I myself have been very vocal about perceived negatives in the past.

Remember not to macro analyse any particular process. There's usually method in our madness. Even if its not instantly seeable.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

its not like u guys were goin to test it anyway, dont be mad someone got that chance

hi orlok

Edited by Felthat
  • Like 1

I think what needs to be established, that hasn't been (to my knowledge) is "Why did this need to happen?"

Moreover, is this necessary? Are they wanting to include streamers to bolster their ranks because they cannot accomplish an adequate pre-release test? Or are they wanting to give time to streamers to gather information before releasing it to the public post-release?

All this information is here: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1s8od4/prerelease_testing_lend_me_your_ears/

And I quote:

"

• Front line content creators can get themselves familiar with the state of the title prior to launch day, removing any confusion or questions about how the game works versus the mod, etc

• Content creators have a much higher visibility than the bulk of the community, thus making the risk of a build leak or NDA violation much smaller as they are much easier to find

• Server stability testing can increase pace, and thus push the project towards the Early Access release on a quicker scale than utilizing just our existing player base

• Content creators/DayZ Media can increase the active feedback pool for the development process, thus getting feedback and triage on issues moving prior to the actual live date

• Pre-Release testers will get to see DayZ evolve during the development process, thus giving them a stronger understanding of the DayZ pipeline, and development.

In short, we feel that increasing our pre-release testing pool to encompass passionate DayZ Content Creators and Media members will increase our transparency, aid in expediting our internal ship date goals, and provide us with added security versus batch adding people from the community en masse and hoping for the best."

• Like 2

-snip-

I understand their reasoning for putting it up to the community and the pros and cons of it all. But none of it screams "necessity" to me. So the fact that it got voted up/down doesn't matter, which is what a lot of people are keying in on. Likewise, from my own personal point of view, I think that (regardless of the necessity) it's better to just keep the status-quo rather than deal with potential issues of favoritism, which is essentially Rocket's stance as I understand it. I'd rather them wait a bit longer than have to address ancillary things like favoritism, never mind my own personal feelings about the "principle" of the matter.

Edited by Katana67

I still wonder why Rocket prefers reddit lol

He posts here regularly, but Reddit has a system where its easy to guage the hive mind.

@Max Oh, you and your facts.

L

• Like 2

I wonder if we are going to see missing limbs, since now the team has direct access with the source code and what not for the pre-alpha. I mean, how awesome would that be? :D

DayZ community at its best worst

Redditors bitching about streamers, forum members bitching about redditors (and streamers)...

I hope Rocket will soon figure out that some decissions should not be left to the bitching comunity.

And there I was thinkin its habbenin

• Like 1

I wonder if we are going to see missing limbs, since now the team has direct access with the source code and what not for the pre-alpha. I mean, how awesome would that be? :D

One of those things I could live without, I've never really seen it done well to be honest. When it is done, it's more like a tube falling off of another tube rather than realistic carnage. Given the (relative) inflexibility of the skeletons I don't really see this happening. Perhaps for zombies, but even then, it'd require new animations for a combination of things (right-leg missing, left-leg missing, both legs missing, crawling with right arm, crawling with no arms, wriggling around just as a torso, etc.)

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

One of those things I could live without, I've never really seen it done well to be honest. When it is done, it's more like a tube falling off of another tube rather than realistic carnage. Given the (relative) inflexibility of the skeletons I don't really see this happening. Perhaps for zombies, but even then, it'd require new animations for a combination of things (right-leg missing, left-leg missing, both legs missing, crawling with right arm, crawling with no arms, wriggling around just as a torso, etc.)

*Has an image of a pipe like arm, just randomly falling off a zombie in cherno, the zombie looking down and screaming "OH GOD WHY?!" *

hahahaha xD

He posts here regularly, but Reddit has a system where its easy to guage the hive mind.

@Max Oh, you and your facts.

L

Yeah, I'm so anal retentive it hurts. I sort my M&M's according to colour before eating them...

By the way, you spelled 'gauge' wrong. Couldn't help it, sorry.

• Like 3

efmgzm.jpg

What a shitstorm. I guess this is what comes from having to make a game for a business. The mod has been in alpha since ever but the frequent bugs and complaints didn't stop it growing wildly. Now it's been invested in rocket has to try and protect the standalone from any negative press in case it fails to make money.

i hope someone is keeping all this pictures, gifs and videos of rocket with give SA  and such... that would make a good thread ! i could laugh until i die

Although I don't agree on this proposal of sending keys to some people I appreciate rocket and the team discuss this with us and give us the choice :).

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm so anal retentive it hurts. I sort my M&M's according to colour before eating them...

By the way, you spelled 'gauge' wrong. Couldn't help it, sorry.

By the way you spelled color wrong  ;)

Before you attack, I'm making a joke. I know we spell it differently than the brits. I just hope you say it the same as velour. 

• Like 1

Although I don't agree on this proposal of sending keys to some people I appreciate rocket and the team discuss this with us and give us the choice :).

totally rubbish imho. in all honesty, he shouldn't ask for such things. ppl simply have no idea and our community is pretty twisted. i think it was a legitimate idea and they should just do it. he makes life pretty difficult for himself.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 3

i hope someone is keeping all this pictures, gifs and videos of rocket with give SA  and such... that would make a good thread ! i could laugh until i die

ohhh you're new? i'll let you search for yourself...but there is a section where you can find all these memorabilia

Wasn't there supposed to be a test today?

Merry xmas.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/115604-just-saw-rocket-again/

I'm super anxious to put DayZ SA on my computer.

DayZ MOD already ranks in my top 10 gaming experiences.

This standalone monstrosity will fascinate and delight me for countless hours.

How come no one ever mentions the fun little game "Game Dev Tycoon"?

Since playing that game I always imagine Rocket and Co looking like the characters in that game with the little game attribute and stat bubbles popping up as they work....

99F9yGh.jpg

• Like 2

when do test pre-alpha, you release DayZ SA, no? I heard this before of Rocket or im not right.