SmashT

November Round-up

No, but most franchises lack the innovation to justify the next installment. Look at CoD, Battlefield 3/4, C&C, Etc.

That's not by virtue of it being a "franchise" though, that's mostly by virtue of a narrow development window.

Likewise, there has been marked innovation in CoD and Battlefield. It only seems like there hasn't been when one looks at relatively recent datapoints. Compare BF3 to BF2, or even BC2. Compare CoD4 to CoD2/3, or CoD BO to WaW. They are very different games.

DayZ's just starting out, it's at the BF1942 stage of its potential. Consider the evolutions we've seen from then to now.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Off topic ramblings...

@Shadowman - Please stop posting your specs on this thread, your current rig and your future build have nothing to do with the SA.

Next time = temp posting ban, you've already been told once.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

With seeing that compass... im hoping they dont have way points enabled, and its down to traditional navigation... it took me several months o playing before i clicked onto way points originally in the mod... It was kinda cool just marching on bearings. O course i didnt know the map at all then... now i know every tree and rock pretty much(absolutely no need for compass or map)... but still, it would make night nav interesting again.

It will be nice having nights back again also. Not with every person with a set o nvgs, but like originally, flares and chemlights. Used to be some o the most tense play in cities.

• Like 2

With seeing that compass... im hoping they dont have way points enabled, and its down to traditional navigation... it took me several months o playing before i clicked onto way points originally in the mod... It was kinda cool just marching on bearings. O course i didnt know the map at all then... now i know every tree and rock pretty much(absolutely no need for compass or map)... but still, it would make night nav interesting again.

It will be nice having nights back again also. Not with every person with a set o nvgs, but like originally, flares and chemlights. Used to be some o the most tense play in cities.

Like the idea, but noone would run around with flares or chemlights. Just implement some decent torches. Sure having chemlights and flares is good, but they shouldn't be the main light source and they should be rare in my opinion.

I never even used waypoints. It's curious, ARMA is such a "realistic" game with very unforgiving mechanics, but it also has these vague crutches and flaws that are in no way a reflection of reality. You don't even have to look at your map to see the waypoint!

With nights, I think they need work from the mod. I get that they want to have nights be very dark and unforgiving, I do too. But the nights in DayZ are rarely playable. Night just doesn't look like that, even in areas where there is little manmade light. Your eyes adjust to the darkness and you can see where you're going. Sure, you can't see for miles, nor can you make out detail with black/grey contrast, but it's not a black hole. Even with full moon, night is problematic in DayZ.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I never even used waypoints. It's curious, ARMA is such a "realistic" game with very unforgiving mechanics, but it also has these vague crutches and flaws that are in no way a reflection of reality. You don't even have to look at your map to see the waypoint!

With nights, I think they need work from the mod. I get that they want to have nights be very dark and unforgiving, I do too. But the nights in DayZ are rarely playable. Night just doesn't look like that, even in areas where there is little manmade light. Your eyes adjust to the darkness and you can see where you're going. Sure, you can't see for miles, nor can you make out detail with black/grey contrast, but it's not a black hole. Even with full moon, night is problematic in DayZ.

Arma 3 has much better night lighting, that would be fine... id disagree about in RL however, in bush/jungle even with a moon, night can be total darkness, same with heavy cloud... i dont live in a city, and i start work at 4-5am so experience it every day. But yea, lighting like in arma3 would be better for game play.

Oh yes, I remember the discussion. People will tell you "Were you ever camping in a real forest? No you little f*ck have no idea how a night looks like because you are like an id*ot who doesn't udnerstand that it is pitch black because it is and I know it!..."

@Shadowman - Please stop posting your specs on this thread, your current rig and your future build have nothing to do with the SA.

Next time = temp posting ban, you've already been told once.

FRAGGLE!!!!!! You're back. 

• Like 2

Arma 3 has much better night lighting, that would be fine... id disagree about in RL however, in bush/jungle even with a moon, night can be total darkness, same with heavy cloud... i dont live in a city, and i start work at 4-5am so experience it every day. But yea, lighting like in arma3 would be better for game play.

ARMA 3's lighting does look better, yes.

Let me put it this way, there have been times when I've played DayZ where I was unsure of whether my TV (I use a TV for my monitor) was on or off. It's that black, and is unplayable to me.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 4

XOdCCto.jpg

Sorry, I had to...

Actually, I'm happy to see more gestures added.

I hope they won't get misused excessively though. Also, I hope there won't be a t-bag animation, if you catch my drift...

Edited by Tempus
  • Like 3

On hand signals:

We currently have two:

• taunt: give the finger
  • friendly wave

More are planned. By default they are mapped to the function keys.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1qs6pv/some_thoughts_on_voip/cdge8tq?context=3

303h0ya.jpg

But... can you move while doing hand gestures? I don't want to wave at some stranger only to have him shoot me perfectly in the face because I'm frozen on the spot 'waving'.

• Like 1

If weapons can be switched while running, I'm sure there's no reason to worry about hand gestures. 

• Like 1

If weapons can be switched while running, I'm sure there's no reason to worry about hand gestures. 

Until Rocket confirms I am worried.

'Worry' confirmed in the stand alone!

I laughed.

I'm starting to think end of December, mid January for a release. Mayby even longer.

Why?

Because if it comes out soon then that it will surprise me and make me happy.

That and if does come around the time I said, then at least I won't get so caught up on hype trains untill it arrives.

I zo smart :3

• Like 1

I laughed.

I'm starting to think end of December, mid January for a release. Mayby even longer.

Why?

Because if it comes out soon then that it will surprise me and make me happy.

That and if does come around the time I said, then at least I won't get so caught up on hype trains untill it arrives.

I zo smart :3

You are like me:

I don't believe in god because it is totally unrealistic and stupid, but if he really exists I am going to be very positive surprise after death. And if he does not exists I won't be disappointed.

Win-Win situation. :)

• Like 2

'Worry' confirmed in the stand alone!

You are feeling worried

• Like 8

If there's one lesson I've learned in life then that is as follows: for every good event X that impacts my life positively, there's a proceeding bad event Y that impacts my life negatively.

In other words, if my wanting this game to release soon makes me happy, then the game won't release soon but sometime after my idea of soon, probably.

This is the secret to life and everything else.

I really don't want to get you all hyped up again, good ladies and gentlemen, but may I remind you:

d385ttv.jpg

He wouldn't lie to us, now would he?

Would he?

• Like 5