SmashT

November Round-up

The artistic work they've done gives Chernarus+ a completely different feeling. It doesn't feel like a military simulator anymore. The game looks way more immersive than the mod and I'd buy just for that.

I don't know... I actually like the milsim part of Dayz, and Arma series as a whole. But it's not a big deal for me really.

What disappoints me in that video is same old clunkiness of Arma 2 engine, it just doesn't look right. The environment and inventory and how the player model looks with all the interchangeable gear looks amazing, much better than the mod. But the zombies still act retarded and the movement, especially in 1st person, is awful. If they didn't change it throughout all this time then that probably means it won't really change. I don't blame the team, they're not a AAA gaming company.

I don't know... I actually like the milsim part of Dayz, and Arma series as a whole. But it's not a big deal for me really.

What disappoints me in that video is same old clunkiness of Arma 2 engine, it just doesn't look right. The environment and inventory and how the player model looks with all the interchangeable gear looks amazing, much better than the mod. But the zombies still act retarded and the movement, especially in 1st person, is awful. If they didn't change it throughout all this time then that probably means it won't really change. I don't blame the team, they're not a AAA gaming company.

I have to say, I think that's totally incorrect. Rocket said they were rewriting the zombies from the ground up. In the November update thread he said "the zombies are very much a work in progress." They will improve. This is pre-alpha. Once it works they will rewrite the zombies completely and update it. It's very simple.

Big thank you to the person who posted the video.  You (dev team and testers) are doing an amazing job and the fruits of your labour are fantastic, this Sim is going to be a massive success. Fantastic job.

What I find even better is the fact that you are involving some of the members here (Judging by the info on the video)  I have not known many companies involve the street level players at such an early stage of development.

Keep it up and cheers. :thumbsup:

It's clearly a work in progress and the video shows improvement over what was there before.  This isn't near release footage here where things are just done or aren't going to be changed or altered anymore, this isn't even out for the normal public to play in ALPHA status.  I know that's kind of the standard, almost joke tagline for DayZ..."DayZ: It's in Alpha", but it's also a very true statement.  Looking at the video, I see zombies that aren't nearly as bad as they use to be, poor sure, but not being freaked out crackheads is a step up from the mod.

I will agree on the movement being clunky, it is ARMA 2, I don't think too much can be changed in particular, that's just the downside of a clunky game.

This is the best "Alpha" I have ever seen it looks more polished than most full retail games . I don't really have a problem with the zombies at all ,indeed I am fine with the current state of the zombies in the mod as they are actually quite a threat these days if you don't have a silenced weapon . As for the occasional floating loot ......really who cares at this stage?

I say good job rocket and co you will have my money.

p.s  the game needs the marlin 1895g in .45-70 ,very popular these days.......

As to the video -

1) When I first saw the warning message and with it being on screen for so long I thought he just uploaded it as a joke with no actual footage and just that warning lol - anyone else think the same?

2) OH MY GOD THAT SUN! It's bloody beautiful!

3) Seeing your breath and hands under the compass just makes it way more immersive.

4) Although not perfected, melee looks a lot more useable now rather whereas before I would just run the hell away.

5) Zombie girls!!!

I'm really happy with the approach of zombies hit less but in higher numbers. It's going to make me want to actually fight small groups of zombies (before their pack gets too big) rather than just running away.

How many people in the mod just can't be bothered with the mod zombies anymore and just run everywhere and brush them off in the forest when your finished looting an area.

Edited by Andy Red

Things i notice in the video:

Pros:

• Item holding now looks pretty proper, nothing like we saw in gamescom or earlier devblog with the handcuffs and keyes
  • Mosin 9130, Simo Häyhä time anyone? (M/28 was basically the same gun but with different iron sights)
  • Melee looks way better than the mod
  • Blocking with Melee weapons (does not work yet though)
  • Zombie pathfinding is getting to it

Cons:

• in city FPS still seems to get a bit lower
  • Zombies pathfinding still a bit out of place, not much though
  • Still pretty few items, such as only one backpack we have seen the blue one. Work on it modelers o,o

Allround my verdict is, I would play this build, though would play it more once the Cons have been worked out.  Good job BI and keep up the good work, this could possibly, with a high chance, become the greatest game you have made so far :)

• Like 2

I will agree on the movement being clunky, it is ARMA 2, I don't think too much can be changed in particular, that's just the downside of a clunky game.

That is precisely the reason why I think Dayz SA team should've used Arma 3's engine, which is a huge improvement. It is much more fluid and modern. 

• Like 2

Looks a lot better, I just hope we can turn all the stupid post processing/blur and HDR effects off as I hate all that shit.

• Like 2

my 2cents:

• atmosphere (apart from sound) already shockingly immersive (breath, lightning, shadows, god rays, sky...); i really felt cold watching the whole thing. which proves that the little things (breathing)  can quickly add up and do the most for immersion and atmosphere.
  • i hope with the sound overhaul also the random bird chirping in the background will vanish
  • zed's pace is now at (on a subjective note) decent state. i am anxious to see a bit diversity there and also more ferociousness from them ;)
    however it's pre-alpha and actually there is nothing i can complain about at this state.
  • the hatchet ACTUALLY STOPS when the zed gets hit. very subtle but sensational grade of detail there.
    i hope to really see and feel the impact on me when hitting as well as on the zeds when being hit to add some sort of weight to the dynamic and the severity of impact.
  • compass is a bit hard to read
  • it is the rise of the lefties
  • i wonder if there is or will ever be some sort of heuristic estimation theory working in the background for zeds and how it works?
  • the ui looks really spartan but seems to work really easy and intuitive. something i would expect considering irl i would just have look into my backpack or reach into my pockets and take out something i'd need.
  • player Hetstaine, SausageKingofChicago disconnects
  • cooking meals will be part of the game (i was quite sure, but now i have my proof)
  • loot table misses crimean sparkling wine

as Conan would say: from a 33 which means "it fails totally miserable" to a -1.2 which is "naaah ok" and a 110 which is a "jou extraordinaire" it is a solid 3.1415926

Edited by joe_mcentire

Wall attacks CONFIRMED!

On a serious note: For those of you who didn't join or were unable to watch the Hicks_206 live stream of Arma 3, be sure to subscribe to the official twitch channel @ www.twitch.tv/dayz as they will probably stream at launch.

Edited by Semantic

looks okay but far from ready for release.

sun is a bit dice for eg blinding ! dice seem in there games to make sure you know they added effects like sun blind you with over the top sunshine. so maybe a tweak of that.

the axe i still cant get why it was animated on the left hand and being held flat. you or majority would have it in right hand with the chopping head sharp side pointing down or forward.

are those women zombies just loaded for that section or for the videio and keeping others secret or not finished because i seen like 50 women with same clothes on. will zombies have individual clothing on? 1000 zombies wearing similar clothing will get tired very quickly. thanks for showing the video , you didnt have to ;) . carry on the good work.

He is in a field near a barn - there are plenty of zombies elsewhere.  And remember these are the girl ones as well. Just wait for the huge Bosses.

Kidding.

And why not going elsewhere and showing us the zombie hordes? Honestly, the compass is cool, but like 5 mins of the video were showing it. I saw it, it is ok, nothing special for arma, I don't need half the video to realise it. No offense, but I think he could have shown us some more important stuff. Actually I think he would have if it worked well.

The hitbox for him was disable right? Hm, will the zombies never be able to attack while running?

Edited by Wayze

Well of course, that shouldn't come as a surprise.

We are pretty far from release, that was never a secret. There's the whole 'open alpha' phase ahead of us for starters.

That will be a good time to address those concerns you mentioned.

• Like 4

And why not going elsewhere and showing us the zombie hordes? Honestly, the compass is cool, but like 5 mins of the video were showing it. I saw it, it is ok, nothing special for arma, I don't need half the video to realise it. No offense, but I think he could have shown us some more important stuff. Actually I think he would have if it worked well.

The hitbox for him was disable right? Hm, will the zombies never be able to attack while running?

Please sound a bit more unappreciative.  

He never had to show us anything, yet he did. Be glad you saw something. :)

• Like 2

Please sound a bit more unappreciative.  

He never had to show us anything, yet he did. Be glad you saw something. :)

Left the hypetrain, you should try that too.

sun is a bit dice for eg blinding ! dice seem in there games to make sure you know they added effects like sun blind you with over the top sunshine. so maybe a tweak of that.

the axe i still cant get why it was animated on the left hand and being held flat. you or majority would have it in right hand with the chopping head sharp side pointing down or forward.

are those women zombies just loaded for that section or for the videio and keeping others secret or not finished because i seen like 50 women with same clothes on. will zombies have individual clothing on? 1000 zombies wearing similar clothing will get tired very quickly. thanks for showing the video , you didnt have to ;) . carry on the good work.

I'm right handed and i would hold it like that, when i chop wood, i have my right hand lower and left hand higher.

• Like 1

Great looking game sofar, hopefully we get a bit more variety of loot so there ain't whole squads with blue bags.

Add the AK in, a CZ, A double barrel, a pump action.

Point I'm getting at is I want a bit more to explore loot wise, seems like two/ four good lives and I'll have picked up everything there is to.

In contrast to the mod I've still never even seen some of the guns.

I'm right handed and i would hold it like that, when i chop wood, i have my right hand lower and left hand higher.

I'm the same, I'd hold it on my left side but with my right hand higher, so my rotation is less impaired.

I also have my right hand further forwards because that's controlling the axe head and I have better co ordination with my right hand.

I think when you apply the idea you'll also be better at blocking with your right arm, so why have it at your side doing nothing as you hold the axe.

Why not have your best arm protecting you so you get a better chance at blocking a hit from a zombie.

When swinging through from the left to the right your right arm is also doing most of the work.

Left the hypetrain, you should try that too.

Whether on the hype train or not, one does not need to take the entire arm, if given a hand.

I'm the same, I'd hold it on my left side but with my right hand higher, so my rotation is less impaired.

I also have my right hand further forwards because that's controlling the axe head and I have better co ordination with my right hand.

I think when you apply the idea you'll also be better at blocking with your right arm, so why have it at your side doing nothing as you hold the axe.

Why not have your best arm protecting you so you get a better chance at blocking a hit from a zombie.

When swinging through from the left to the right your right arm is also doing most of the work.

Hmm, I'd always block with my "lesser" arm, my left arm. Whenever I chop wood, and I do that quite often, I have more control if I place the axe on the right side rather than the left. I have to admit, that I haven't tried placing my right hand on the lower part of the handle though.

I actually like the sun glare - it adds another factor.  With the sun at your back you are much harder to see and are at a definite advantage in a firefight.

Whether on the hype train or not, one does not need to take the entire arm, if given a hand.

So criticism is forbidden now? :huh:

That is precisely the reason why I think Dayz SA team should've used Arma 3's engine, which is a huge improvement. It is much more fluid and modern. 

I see the system is much like Arma 3's. Only some item or weapon changing could be bit faster. Though if I remember right DayZ has weapon changing in movement when in A3 you've to stop?

I like how people are complaining about HDR. One little fact from A3. With lower HDR the sun is even more blinding :D I think the blinding is about right now and feels better than Arma 3's that doesn't seem to blind you much and much better than A2's. Though I'm afraid that Dean used much bloom and that way the sun looked good. God rays need to be tuned down of course.

One thing Dean and his team need to remember. Don't clutter the action menu or if they want to do that there needs to be a different keys for using action menu and action. Actions like door opening, ladder climbing etc should be out of the action menu. A3 fucked this up like in A2 and Sakura_Chan is trying to fix the system. You make many people frusturated if you still keep the horrible old system. Now that we have huge amount of enterable buildings Sakrura's system would solve the frustrating door opening.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

So criticism is forbidden now? :huh:

If that's how you interpret my post, then sure, go ahead. But no, I'm just expressing my opinion like you yourself, but let's stop this and get back to topic now that we've expressed ourselves.