SmashT

November Round-up

I wanna, "dick around and do a whole lot of nothing" just like hetstaine was.

:(

I will pay to pick through everything and try to offer helpful observations.

You will release the hounds.

• Like 1

That's fair, but at some point we and they are going to have to decide what is a placeholder and what is final. I'm just going off what I'm seeing.

That and perhaps I should've rephrased. Zombies should be a threat both as a group and as individuals, but it should obviously be proportional. However, I was more keying in on making them both a threat and threatening. Having them look like idiots takes away from how I view them, which is as I do in the mod, as a nuisance. If they look like they can actually hit me, then I'll be far more likely to treat them as a threat.

Now, from what I can tell, they still don't really have a sense of where the player is while they're attacking.

Maybe Rocket just had to choose between nice hordes vs nice individual zombies (considering performance limitations). 

If you ignore the problems with atack animations (probably fixable), i think it's not that bad. It's just like in "The Walking Dead", just one zombie it's kind of easy to kill. 

• Like 1

Maybe Rocket just had to choose between nice hordes vs nice individual zombies (considering performance limitations). 

If you ignore the problems with atack animations (probably fixable), i think it's not that bad. It's just like in "The Walking Dead", just one zombie it's kind of easy to kill. 

Right, and my original bit was just critiquing how they look while they're attacking. I think the solution is fairly simple, and could go a long way in making the zombies more convincing.

This pretty much answers my critique "Agro is a bit broken at the moment, as they can hear most damage. But it's very early days for zombie behavior" - rocket2guns. But it's been that way for quite some time, and that's all we have to go on.

That's been muddled with my own desire to have individual zombies be a threat (proportionally). Just like in "The Walking Dead" when one zombie totally screws them over.

For what it's worth, we haven't even seen the zombies running inside, even in a buggy state. Still would like to see that.

Edited by Katana67

That's been muddled with my own desire to have individual zombies be a threat (proportionally). Just like in "The Walking Dead" when one zombie totally screws them over.

I spent a year on and off trying to make the zombies work, experimenting with different scripts. In the end I came to the same conclusion you discuss here. In making individual zombies a threat, you actually make these very frustrating situations. The game becomes very black and white. But by making zombies "manageable", that means that generally with the zombies you are okay. But if you don't have a good plan - you get in deep trouble. That's what we are aiming for. -Rocket2guns

He also said somewhere (but I can't find it) if you know where a few zombies are, it's manageable, but when you lose sight of some they can sneak up on you and do some damage.

• Like 2

He's still answering questions at 4am czech time...

I bet he gets lots of sex from his wife/gf in compensation

"Mosin with scope and bayonet is probably one of the coolest items in game currently (there are two scopes for it in game now)" - rocket2guns

/fap

"I spent a year on and off trying to make the zombies work, experimenting with different scripts. In the end I came to the same conclusion you discuss here. In making individual zombies a threat, you actually make these very frustrating situations. The game becomes very black and white. But by making zombies "manageable", that means that generally with the zombies you are okay. But if you don't have a good plan - you get in deep trouble. That's what we are aiming for" - rocket2guns

This is a good approach, but that doesn't mean individual zombies should be child's play. They should aggro more zombies, or something, to make individual zombies less of a nuisance unto themselves.

Firefox or GTFO

Gentlemen gentlemen pls.

Aslong as you don't use Internet explorer or Safari you're a respectable citizen.

IMO Sounds way too demanding for the amount of objects.

I remember this one time on fallout 3 I dropped about 2000 guns into my megaton house.

It was about 0-1 FPS.

On Xbox aswell btw

Right, and my original bit was just critiquing how they look while they're attacking. I think the solution is fairly simple, and could go a long way in making the zombies more convincing.

This pretty much answers my critique "Agro is a bit broken at the moment, as they can hear most damage. But it's very early days for zombie behavior" - rocket2guns. But it's been that way for quite some time, and that's all we have to go on.

For what it's worth, we haven't even seen the zombies running inside, even in a buggy state. Still would like to see that.

I agree the atack animation needs attention. I wonder if "every damage" means any damage (like shoes having damage for walking around).

• Like 1

IMO Sounds way too demanding for the amount of objects.

They added Physx to Arma 3...Maybe they could do the same for DayZ. On my HD 5850 and i5 2500K I can run with CPU based PhysX on normal in games that use it.

Even with the zombies being a little janky, that jankiness is still MUCH better than the mod, that is the biggest thing I've been waiting to see worked on and it's great to see the zombies finally being altered for the better.  Now they don't look like they are running around with a speed hack lol

Edited by Maxgor
  • Like 2

I like how they now have a kind of close-range walking animation now, rather than always running at full sprint, yeah.

• Like 1

Even with the zombies being a little janky, that jankiness is still MUCH better than the mod, that is the biggest thing I've been waiting to see worked on and it's great to finally see  the zombies finally being altered for the better.  Now they don't look like they are running around with a speed hack lol

Werd. Anyone who doubts the look and performance enhancement, just hop into a mod server right now! It is kinda absurd how the zombies behave right now. What we saw wasn't perfect. But I trust it'll improve over time.

Judging by what we saw, I'd speculate Jan 1st. I say take the time at this point, and Jan 1 has a nice symmetry to it, me feels.

But it really does make me happy seeing him show us honest footage and not trying to BS us like other companies seem to do all the time these days.

That's the one thing I really enjoy about this game, development and the people behind it, they are not bullshting us around about what is what and just being straightforward. It's really awesome.

It's really a breath of fresh air. I've gotten the chance to chat with him directly over the past weeks quite a bit and he sounds like a really nice guy who doesn't BS. I would love to get a chance to meet with him someday and talk about a common interest, Everest.

That's fair, but at some point we and they are going to have to decide what is a placeholder and what is final. I'm just going off what I'm seeing.

It's still in pre-alpha dude, plenty of time for that decision.

I do have a question about the floating loot though...

Do you think that no matter what they do or how marginalized the problem is, that this might be one of those problems that we'll always have to deal with?

No.

• Like 3

I find it unfair that it seems all the old forumers that were active on musty got a SA key

>.>

• Like 1

It's still in pre-alpha dude, plenty of time for that decision.

No.

Again, just going off the information available. Would much rather critique current circumstance and offer alternatives based upon that than just speculate about how it'll be.

That, and the only reason I bring up the idea of the "floating loot problem being something that we'll just have to deal with" is more just born out of my experience with the mod. There were a lot of seemingly small things wrong with the mod, that were either overlooked or not a priority (loot placement being one of them, along with a few others including fall damage, vehicle damage, and other misplaced world items) It wasn't so much that it was neglect, it's just that it was not deemed a priority because other things were being done.

Plus, I have no idea of how this problem would be solved. Is it a matter of tailoring the loot spawns themselves to match the location/surface where they're spawning? I would assume that this would have to be adjusted for each item.

Edited by Katana67

Zombies look greatly improved instead of dodging when you aim your firearm at them or zigzagging and not totally sprinting behind you.

For pre-alpha footage, it has amazed a lot of people and myself included. Might have some bumps along the road but I'm sure they'll be smoothed out over the course.

Edit: I noticed whenever your character is panting, you can't see the condensation from exhaling like you can in every couple of seconds. I wonder if this will be synced together if possible? :) And also, take a look at OP. It takes up 3/4 of the whole page.. Haven't seen it being THAT informative in ages.

Edited by TIC321
  • Like 2

I find it unfair that it seems all the old forumers that were active on musty got a SA key

>.>

NDA's went out months and months and months before Musty Gaming even existed.

Plus, I have no idea of how this problem would be solved. Is it a matter of tailoring the loot spawns themselves to match the location/surface where they're spawning? I would assume that this would have to be adjusted for each item.

This gets into NDA realm for me, but just know its done completely differently from the way the mods does loots.

• Like 2

I wish I could have contributed enough time to the mod and community to have "earned" a key but in my case I've been well occupied with enough real world stuff and haven't had enough time for or access to DayZ up until pretty recently. I'm not traveling anytime soon and my work schedule is no more than full time currently.

If the game drops soon I should have really nice chunks of time to play the SA. :)

Regarding the video:

Hiding and camouflage will be more difficult with long barrels and tool handles protruding so high above ones shoulders....

I wish I could have contributed enough time to the mod and community to have "earned" a key.

Meh, I'm sure they're all nice folks but, from what I can pick up, the majority of the people I've seen with keys never really posted much with regard to the enrichment of the community/mod. Not to say that they didn't ever or that they didn't/don't post a lot, but I can only really count on one hand how many I've actually held conversations with on the forum, but that's just me talkin'.

That and I never understood the whole worship of and preference given to streamers and Youtubers (this may be unrelated, as I'm pretty sure they haven't been given keys, at least widely. I could be way off). I've spoken about this before, so I won't go into a rant. But I feel that there are/were people who contributed/contribute a lot (specifically on the forums) who go unrecognized. I took a fairly long break from the forums and DayZ a while back, and came back to a largely dissimilar population so those people might not even be around anymore.

We'll all be playing SA sooner or later, so it doesn't really matter. We might actually be better off, not having to wade through the bullshit of pre-alpha.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

My point of view of the new video.

** I know its pre-alpha**

1. there is no colision on melee weapon to the zombie.  

2. Zombies are still aggroed from far away. (hoping sneaking will be viable)

3. Zombie Physics != E=Mc2

My point of view of the new video.

** I know its pre-alpha**

1. there is no colision on melee weapon to the zombie.  

2. Zombies are still aggroed from far away. (hoping sneaking will be viable)

3. Zombie Physics != E=Mc2

1. This is probably just a matter of animating, but I'm not sure they have this planned (i.e. a stagger animation, or anything reactionary)

2. Rocket wasn't exactly sneaking (he was running around like a clown) so I would take that into account with regard to aggro, plus he said the aggro was being worked on regardless

Edited by Katana67

The artistic work they've done gives Chernarus+ a completely different feeling. It doesn't feel like a military simulator anymore. The game looks way more immersive than the mod and I'd buy just for that.

• Like 4