Jock McScottish

So does the way you play Dayz reflect your 'real life' personality?

Of course and again this goes into granularity. That hypothetical person is right there needing help in a real and visceral way. The starving children which are very real are also very ambiguous as I can neither see nor assure that anything I do has actively helped them in any way. Instant feedback from helping the guy with the broken leg as opposed to no feedback from sending money to help children I've never seen or met. 

It's not hypocritical. There is enough food on the planet to feed every man woman and child. Some of the countries that have starving children also export FOOD, India for example. There really isn't a practical measure I can take that will effect something like that in a measurable way. So I educate people and give money to charities that work to actively CHANGE that situation through political means and within the system. Short of becoming an Indian citizen and somehow working my way into a position of influence in the government and/or financial circles there is nothing I can do to help those starving children, but that guy over there with a broken leg? Yeah, him I can immediately do something for and know my effort wasn't wasted.

I could have written that post, before you even thought of it. I knew exactly what excuses you would find. "I don't see these starving children", "It's the fault of their goverment" and the best one ofcourse "My help wouldn't really help them".

Sorry, but you know that this is just bullsh*t (no offense). We humans are actually really good at it. You know it is wrong but there is a kind of self-preservation mechanism in us humans that prevents us from going nuts.

You ofcourse can immdiately help these children. Ofcourse you could spend money to organisations that will help these people. You are capable of saving a life with simple money. You know it, you just don't want to spend this money. You know there are starving children, you know that it is not their fault, you know that you could help them. But you don't. You will buy the SA and justify it with these thought up "facts" of yours. And I don't blame you, that is how we humans are.

You effort wasn't wasted? So if you donate money to helping organisations your effort is wasted? Better spend the money for a game? Sure...

And sure there is enough food in this world and you could do something about it. You could actually change someones life. But you won't, you will, like we all, spend the money for a game.

If a real zombie apocolypse happened, I'd run off alone, collect as many weapons as possible, and kill everyone I see.

Just like I do in game. There really is no other way to do it.

I could have written that post, before you even thought of it. I knew exactly what excuses you would find. "I don't see these starving children", "It's the fault of their goverment" and the best one ofcourse "My help wouldn't really help them".

Sorry, but you know that this is just bullsh*t (no offense). We humans are actually really good at it. You know it is wrong but there is a kind of self-preservation mechanism in us humans that prevents us from going nuts.

You ofcourse can immdiately help these children. Ofcourse you could spend money to organisations that will help these people. You are capable of saving a life with simple money. You know it, you just don't want to spend this money. You know there are starving children, you know that it is not their fault, you know that you could help them. But you don't. You will buy the SA and justify it with these thought up "facts" of yours. And I don't blame you, that is how we humans are.

You effort wasn't wasted? So if you donate money to helping organisations your effort is wasted? Better spend the money for a game? Sure...

And sure there is enough food in this world and you could do something about it. You could actually change someones life. But you won't, you will, like we all, spend the money for a game.

This is not total bullshit and the reason it isn't is because there actually isn't anything short of changing their government and farming industry which is leaving food to rot in storage rather than accept lower prices from starving people. My sending $20 to an organization that might give those children a few meals will not alter the system that is killing them in any single way. I will have done nothing. 

In Africa the food that was brought in by those charitable organizations was constantly seized by the warlords and often the people that were given the food were killed. It was to the point where they refused help because it just caused the various fighting factions to consider them targets. Until the governments changed and some order, such as it is, was established those donations did only a small amount of good. 

Through my work I give money to The Hunger Project because they are rated high by CharityWatch and they don't just give food to people they attempt to bring about the change I mentioned. I don't even notice it because it comes out a couple bucks from each paycheck.

There are also times when I don't get to see my own kids because I made a mistake in my budget and don't have the food and gas money to go pick them up and feed them over the weekend. That is on me, I messed up and I own it but what I am pointing out is that I live a comfortable life compared to many in the world but I don't have an excess of expendable wealth. In fact a bill collector once tried to tell me they would garnish my wages (I had worked out an arrangement with the original owner of the debt and was paying them back instead of the bill collector) and ran it through their "calculator" as to how much they would get a month that way instead of me paying a "reasonable" amount. Just for kicks I gave them the information and they shut up when it told them I had zero expendable income according to the law.

So yes, I have internet I pay for and I did spend about $15 dollars for the arma package when it was on sale on Steam. Yes I could have given that to a charity instead but the net result of me giving my little bit of entertainment money to charity would not be an improved sense of well being but likely me becoming so unsociable and morose that I would probably stop functioning at work, lose my job, not be able to pay my child support and my children would then suffer.

"In all things, balance." I feel no guilt in enjoying my first world game. I am not some billionaire with more money than I can even feasibly spend who is simply hoarding wealth. I give small amounts to charities that affect real change instead of putting food in a person's mouth for a day and live my life as best I can on my very moderate budget. 

• Like 1

If a real zombie apocolypse happened, I'd run off alone, collect as many weapons as possible, and kill everyone I see.

So you are going to kill the person who is a doctor/medic/first responder just because? You are going to kill the guy who can fix a car, or a journeyman who can repair machines? You are going to kill the people who might actually have a useful skill just because you are afraid they might hurt you? This is true cowardice in action. 

Good luck with that whole survival thing when you get a parasitical infection and don't know what would help you clear it out or you need to try and fix a carburetor, or maybe a wind powered generator.  I think you need to start thinking longer term than you are. 

• Like 2

This is not total bullshit and the reason it isn't is because there actually isn't anything short of changing their government and farming industry which is leaving food to rot in storage rather than accept lower prices from starving people. My sending $20 to an organization that might give those children a few meals will not alter the system that is killing them in any single way. I will have done nothing. 

Sorry, I won't continue to read, because like I said this is the phenomen I was talking about. You will have done nothing? You will have saved a life! Nothing is the perfect word you chose, because this is how much these people are worth for you. Exactly, nothing.

Just because you are not able to change the world like a super hero means that you are not supposed to help at all? I mean, a child will die if you won't spent money. If you send them 20$, surely it will live a few more days. And if everyone would spend these 20$, then these children could live a whole life. And, even though you have just spent 20$, is saved a childs life, even if it is just for a short period of time. Is that really less worth than a videogame?

So you are going to kill the person who is a doctor/medic/first responder just because? You are going to kill the guy who can fix a car, or a journeyman who can repair machines? You are going to kill the people who might actually have a useful skill just because you are afraid they might hurt you? This is true cowardice in action. 

Good luck with that whole survival thing when you get a parasitical infection and don't know what would help you clear it out or you need to try and fix a carburetor, or maybe a wind powered generator.  I think you need to start thinking longer term than you are. 

No, he is honest. Just because you say you would act different, does not mean that you would. Actually that is a fundemental thing you should have learned while having ethics courses. People say things, but in 99% of the cases they will not hold upon their words. And I don't believe him, the same as I don't believe you. I don't think that he could be so cruel to kill children, women and everyone he sees, the same as I don't believe you that you would die for a stranger.

Edited by Wayze

Oh yeahhhh, I kill people IRL all the time, the fact that it happens to be halloween when my clothes are all bloody is just a very, very good coincidence.

Why kill them, when you can steal, cheat, or force what you want from them; then kill them?

If you want to rely on someone, it's going to catch up to you one day. That's a true weakness.

i'm not sure. most of my time is spent running around semi-deserted towns killing people with scavenged weapons, but when i'm in dayz i work shitty hours pretending not to hate most of the people i see and swearing under my breath.

Omg Ozelot ur so edjy plz have my babbies then kill them because they wont be 3edgy6enuf2you. Seriously guys just ignore him.

I do realize he has a good counter argument sometimes but the rest of the time its over the top edgy projection

I do act in DayZ very similar to how I really do though in general terms. I help people with the goal of expanding my circle of friends, allies, and contacts. Also I always do whatever I can to gain face for the organization I am representing.

• Like 1

You must be one hardcore hipster, and not at all talking the talk.

At OP. Why let your personality limit how you play a game? I play hero, bandit, and reclusive survivor. It all depends on what mood i'm in.

Sometimes i'm stressed from the people I constantly deal with at work, and I feel like going apeshit. In that case I usually get on arma ii and hop in a armory server behind the stick of an AV8 and blow stuff away. I try to refrain from killing without reason on a DayZ server, unless I have an active grudge with another group of players... in which case I only kill that group.

Omg Ozelot ur so edjy plz have my babbies then kill them because they wont be 3edgy6enuf2you. Seriously guys just ignore him.

I do realize he has a good counter argument sometimes but the rest of the time its over the top edgy projection

I do act in DayZ very similar to how I really do though in general terms. I help people with the goal of expanding my circle of friends, allies, and contacts. Also I always do whatever I can to gain face for the organization I am representing.

Whoa bro. Lighten up bro. Be cool. It's just a forum discussion.

Not everyone has to be like you. Some of us have a plan to kill everyone we meet, some of us... Sit around and sing songs and hug or something?

Sorry, I won't continue to read, because like I said this is the phenomen I was talking about. You will have done nothing? You will have saved a life! Nothing is the perfect word you chose, because this is how much these people are worth for you. Exactly, nothing.

Just because you are not able to change the world like a super hero means that you are not supposed to help at all? I mean, a child will die if you won't spent money. If you send them 20$, surely it will live a few more days. And if everyone would spend these 20$, then these children could live a whole life. And, even though you have just spent 20$, is saved a childs life, even if it is just for a short period of time. Is that really less worth than a videogame?

No, he is honest. Just because you say you would act different, does not mean that you would. Actually that is a fundemental thing you should have learned while having ethics courses. People say things, but in 99% of the cases they will not hold upon their words. And I don't believe him, the same as I don't believe you. I don't think that he could be so cruel to kill children, women and everyone he sees, the same as I don't believe you that you would die for a stranger.

You needed to continue to read to the point where I stated I give a couple bucks out of every paycheck to an organization that doesn't "feed the children" but works to change the systems in place that are starving those children in the first place. 

No, I wouldn't die for a stranger... maybe a child... but I would help them as best I can without putting myself in significant danger. That is the key point, Significant Danger, which was also part of my training to become a First Responder was to identify when the risk to myself was to great to risk saving someone else because getting myself killed and disabled helps no one. 

• Like 1

Whoa bro. Lighten up bro. Be cool. It's just a forum discussion.

Not everyone has to be like you. Some of us have a plan to kill everyone we meet, some of us... Sit around and sing songs and hug or something?

Sit around and sing songs and hug or something?

A rash ignorant generalization only to start a fight after just saying not to get heated. From this and your other posts throughout the forum its like you've modeled yourself off of a middle school bully.

• Like 2

I think it's best to ignore Ozelot, he seems to post to get reactions. If he wants to be tuff guy IRL if shit hits the fan, let him. By day two he'll have changed his mind.

I bet whether you play based off of who you really are or not is heavily based off of personality types.

If there are any other ISTJs in here, say so. As a prominent ISTJ, it's hard for me not to be me, for better or worse. In all games, I often go by my own personal values, because that's fun to me. I'm also very aware there's another person behind a screen when in multiplayer games, and don't want to ruin their experience for my own pleasure, even if that's what most denizens of the internet seem to be here for.

• Like 1

I think it's best to ignore Ozelot, he seems to post to get reactions. If he wants to be tuff guy IRL if shit hits the fan, let him. By day two he'll have changed his mind.

I bet whether you play based off of who you really are or not is heavily based off of personality types.

If there are any other ISTJs in here, say so. As a prominent ISTJ, it's hard for me not to be me, for better or worse. In all games, I often go by my own personal values, because that's fun to me. I'm also very aware there's another person behind a screen when in multiplayer games, and don't want to ruin their experience for my own pleasure, even if that's what most denizens of the internet seem to be here for.

INTP here, the P being the only one not on the far extreme one side of the scale. 

You needed to continue to read to the point where I stated I give a couple bucks out of every paycheck to an organization that doesn't "feed the children" but works to change the systems in place that are starving those children in the first place. 

No, I wouldn't die for a stranger... maybe a child... but I would help them as best I can without putting myself in significant danger. That is the key point, Significant Danger, which was also part of my training to become a First Responder was to identify when the risk to myself was to great to risk saving someone else because getting myself killed and disabled helps no one. 

Works to change the system? You were talking about wasting money, I think that would perfectly fit in this discription. But I don't want to argue about international politics and how the world runs, this would be way to offtopic.

As a matter of act you will buy the SA, you will do it, there is no way around that. And as you do that, you decided to spent money, you could have spent for starving children, for a game. No matter how much you will spent to these organizations that "try to change the system" (which won't work I assure you that), as long as you have moeny left, and as long as you whether put it into a game then into saving the life of human beings, you will always prefer enjoyment infront of starving children.

Now, why would you do that? Is enjoyment more important then another humans life?

It kind of is, and there is no way you can talk yourself out of it. What I trying to tell you is that it's the same with all of us. I am, like you, not spending all my money to starving children, which would be infact the right thing to do. No, I will buy the SA, knowing that there are people dying out there in the world. It is a part of being a human, sadly. You don't even have to argue with me because, that how life rolls.

But, let's go back to the scenario. Well, I kind of think your apocalypse kind of differs from mine. I don't believe in all this butterfly "all humans will work together" bullcrap, because history just told us otherwise. Now, I see, you would help this guy, probably. If you are not in direct danger, why not? Well, you help him to get back on his feet. It would cost you very valuable food, medicaments and other stuff, but if you are alone, you can aswll go and kill yourself right?

You pretty much can. Because, what people will most likely do in such a scenario is that they will trick people that act exactly like you. "I am hurt, help, pleaaaaase!", you are the hero, you go up to him. You hear a click behind you, dead. You don't even hear the sound of the gunshot, because the bullet will pretty much have destroyed your brain before you can even realise it. That's it. No respawn on the coast.

This is my apocalypse, people who pretend to be hurt just to lure others, to kill them. It is a great strategy right? If you don't want to starve you kind of have to be creative.

If you haven't died in the apocaylpse, you probably have learned that you cannot turst anyone. You probably have seen how children have killed others for fun. You have seen how women got raped. You have seen things that we cannot even imagine. And I think that these things, no matter how important morality to you is, will change you. Your personality. A life will not have the same value as it has today. You see someone dying, well, you are used to it. This is what happend to many people in WW2 and it happens in africa all the day. The world is so cruel that a life is simply worth nothing. If you are not cruel, you won't survive. Simple as that.

You may be an exception, you may be the hero. But like I said, you should always consider the possibility that you will not act how you think you act, in a situation alike to 911. And 911 is a walk in the park compared to what happens in africa every day. And what happens in africa everyday is like watching teletubbies compared to a zombie apocalypse.

Sure, in this moment I say "Hell yes I would help him", but I am pretty sure that life is not simple as it looks like. In war, cowards turned out to be heroes and heroes turned out to be cowards. How you act in this world and in the real world, may differ fundamentaly.

Well, I kind of think your apocalypse kind of differs from mine. I don't believe in all this butterfly "all humans will work together" bullcrap, because history just told us otherwise. 

...and here is what none of those who are under this assumption thinks about. History does have very brutal and horrible things that have happened during it and those tend to repeat and come back, but you know what the overwhelming theme of humanity is? Civilization... groups of people banding together and working together for common good and through that overcoming the brutal and savage. This isn't a fairy tale either because if it was in our nature to simply destroy and fight amongst each other, to brutalize each other, to kill maim and rape, then civilizations would not stand a chance they would not come about and wouldn't do so over and over and over again or last for thousands of years. 

If history has taught us that Rome will fall, it has also taught us that something else will take it's place and it will be a group of people working together for a common cause and pooling their resources. 

So you can think an apocalypse is going to be all "Me for Me" but that guy who is all alone is going to have to sleep sometime and without someone else to keep watch he is going to not wake up one day. Meanwhile the crew of people helping each other is going to have a couple of sentries watching for Zeds and bandits, someone to pull a piece of glass or nail out of your foot and bandage it up, someone to watch over you when you catch the flu. They are going to have a pool of skills that outweighs the single guy's knowledge. They are going to have multiple people to share the work load and thus be in better condition because while they might need additional food for each member, individual members will require less personally because they will not be expending all of their calories just surviving. "Me for Me" guy will be scavenging and won't be able to secure an area by his lonesome but the group will be able to do so and might be able to put some of their skills to work because while some are keeping watch the others can be building, farming, and fixing. 

This is why societies exist, because a group of humans has a better survival chance than a single human.

• Like 4

In real life I'm as selfish as the next guy, and hot-tempered.

In DayZ I'm a "perfect" guy.  Calm, selfless, and heroic.

I'll die to save any non-bandit, and risk my life to rid the world of vermin bandits.

Because if I'm killed I just respawn.  Don't care much about gear.  It's not real.

Nice.  I like being a hero.  Very simple choice to make.

I think I'm funny in game sometimes too.

Has got me shot I'm sure of it.

Absolutely.

Lawful Neutral. I'll help an obvious survivor in distress if I can but I won't stick around too long to see how long his gratitude lasts.

Mostly I play as a Lone Wolf who does not trust the mostly Chaotic general player populous.

Works to change the system? You were talking about wasting money, I think that would perfectly fit in this discription. But I don't want to argue about international politics and how the world runs, this would be way to offtopic.

As a matter of act you will buy the SA, you will do it, there is no way around that. And as you do that, you decided to spent money, you could have spent for starving children, for a game. No matter how much you will spent to these organizations that "try to change the system" (which won't work I assure you that), as long as you have moeny left, and as long as you whether put it into a game then into saving the life of human beings, you will always prefer enjoyment infront of starving children.

Now, why would you do that? Is enjoyment more important then another humans life?

It kind of is, and there is no way you can talk yourself out of it. What I trying to tell you is that it's the same with all of us. I am, like you, not spending all my money to starving children, which would be infact the right thing to do. No, I will buy the SA, knowing that there are people dying out there in the world. It is a part of being a human, sadly. You don't even have to argue with me because, that how life rolls.

It's because you have no emotional connection. You don't see these children, you don't know them personal, so they kind of just "hypothetical" exist for you. But if it were your children, or maybe somewhat close, maybe in your neighbourhood, you may do sth about about it. Many would.

But, let's go back to the scenario. Well, I kind of think your apocalypse kind of differs from mine. I don't believe in all this butterfly "all humans will work together" bullcrap, because history just told us otherwise.

And I don't believe all the kill or be killed scenarios. Right, in history books they wrote all the outstanding things in, but this doesn't necessarily mean that everyone is the same. Civilisations can be cruel. They in fact are not only good. Civilisations also take away most of the freedom of men. Often they tend to be more like a "kind enslavement". The military for example is a great example for enslaving first and foremost free people. However, regardless of how cruel a civilisation might be, there are always people who actually do stand against hatred and all kinds of unfreedom. It's not human nature to be cruel. Most people come along without killing others with ease. This fact alone proofes, that killing each other is not "the human nature". Most of the time, those things are even cultural based. People in history basicaly were forced to kill each other because of their civilisations / cultures "demanded" it. The human mind seems to be open for all kind of strange and weird ideas. They do things they believe that are right. Including all the all-mighty spaghetti monsters that demand blood.

Now, I see, you would help this guy, probably. If you are not in direct danger, why not? Well, you help him to get back on his feet. It would cost you very valuable food, medicaments and other stuff, but if you are alone, you can aswll go and kill yourself right?

You pretty much can. Because, what people will most likely do in such a scenario is that they will trick people that act exactly like you. "I am hurt, help, pleaaaaase!", you are the hero, you go up to him. You hear a click behind you, dead.

Know what? This is something that may happen in certain situations, but frankly this is completely unrealistic.

First and foremost: almost no one trusts a stranger they just met. See, most people would keep an eye of the situation. Is he armed? Maybe just go out of the way. Is he alone and unarmed while you are 200 man geared with heravy weaponz? Why being in unreasonable fear? However, depends on the situation. Helping someone also doesn't mean to closely stick together.

Second, this is why small communities give survivors more freedom. It's saver to be many and if someone just fucks off other people, he will be outcasted sooner or later. In such an apocalypse, no group is forced to suffer a dick. Being expelled can be a death sentence if the environment is hostile. So it's in your own interest to play nice.

Last but not least, if you can't value a helping hand, you have never been in a cutting edge situation were you needed one.

If you haven't died in the apocaylpse, you probably have learned that you cannot turst anyone. You probably have seen how children have killed others for fun. You have seen how women got raped. You have seen things that we cannot even imagine. And I think that these things, no matter how important morality to you is, will change you.

If you think those things would be "right", then you'll do it as well. (As said, human mind basically is open to all kind of weirdness.) But if you personally think those things are wrong, why would you start being a dick? Personal beliefs, opinions and attitudes have more power than anything else. So yes, it might be concerning that many people seems to be convinced that the very first thing to do in an appocalypse is to rape and kill each other.

Sometimes people may have just watched Mad Max too often or few to understand that there are dipshits and ... the other.

However, seeing in what people use to believe the whole day can be conserning.

Thankfully this just is a game and we'll never find out what happens when a real zombie appocalypse is taking place.

Edited by Ken Bean
  • Like 2

In CS:GO I try not to kill the opposing team because it is immoral.

Mercules,

you are right but I would just like to say the majority of human existence has not been in civilisation but large scattered groups of people (say, tribes).

Edited by Noface

I've never killed anyone in cold blood just on the off chance they have drugs on them, but that may change in the future.

In CS:GO I try not to kill the opposing team because it is immoral.

Mercules,

you are right but I would just like to say the majority of human existence has not been in civilisation but large scattered groups of people (say, tribes).

That's not quite civilization if you're referring to the bands of nomads.

Anyway, keep in mind that once we got that whole civilization ball rolling, it's sped up. So I don't see your point. Human history is a history of cooperation with or without civilization.

As for your remark on CS, what? It's obviously a game with the goal of completing an objective. DayZ's beauty comes from the lack of objectives. It's all you. That's why it makes sense to wonder if people reflect who they are in how they play, or not. We're more involved in how we play here than in something like CS, CoD, or every other game with a set objective.

• Like 1