Xianyu

[SA] Drastically increase vehicle number, make fuel currency

First, I understand the concept of putting fuel solely on the loot table. I also understand what bullshit a RNG can be. You ever spend all day looking for matches? You repeated some of my key points in your response so I think we are on a slightly similar standpoint. These are my more precise thoughts on vehicles as a whole.

I just don't like the idea of having fuel super rare. I think what you are doing is actually creating a penalty for people for not putting in enough time. I'm not a casual. odds are I probably will put in my entire weekend playing DAYZ SA. I have on multiple occasions (i'm sure we all have) walked a good 2, 3, 4 hours just getting across the map to our friends/camp. I'm also sure we have all done that multiple times in the same day. Restricting a persons gameplay to being forced to walk because they haven't had the "LUCK" of finding fuel seems fairly unhelpful.

Vehicles are basically the only non-renewable resource in the game. Everything else spawns in. But a single clan can effectively put a stranglehold on an entire server's vehicles, with no penalty. They don't have to worry about fuel for them, or any maintenance, really. Just hide them in the woods, use when needed. And everyone else in the server goes without.

Vehicles aren't renewable? Technically they are.... if a vehicle is destroyed. it will be respawned. resource renewed. isn't it? The solution seems rather simple, we come up with a way to destroy the car. That is why I would like to see vehicles have a life span. That way there is a penalty for driving it all over the damn map for weeks. You drive it to death. It dies, and it will respawn. The vehicle will lose value every time you repair a key component, run over fencing, hit a tree or wall etc... What we need to do with vehicles is the exact same loot spawning principles we are going to see with general items. Currently if you lose your GAZ in a firefight, and you obviously know where it is going to spawn you can easily check all the locations for it. You also have to consider the horrid abuse of admin tools to view EVERY vehicle on a server. watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA7uaPstcdI We need to avoid this in standalone.

Vehicles should be proportioned to the amount of players on a server. perhaps some server hosters with 50 player caps can shed some light on the traffic of unique ID's they get each week. 100? 200? 300? what percentage of those players should be able to obtain a vehicle? I kinda pulled that clunker idea out of thin air, but I think it is possibly a useful addition to the game. you said a newbie should have a chance of repairing a vehicle. It is a pretty big task to repair a vehicle on a new server. The countless hours I've spent looking for that one last wheel, or finding everything I could ever wish for.... EXCEPT a toolbox... Having 50 "almost dead" unrepairable vehicles scattered on the map might be a nice feature to both new and veteran players.

The players will ultimately determine how vehicles are viewed and treated. servers with strippable cars just end up with an overwhelming amount of cars completely raped for parts. servers that have high vehicle count normally end up with a player base with no respect for them, and happily will destroy a car to enjoy the corpse loot piñata that will be available from the fiery wreck. Who cares about what is in the trunk? most players wear their best gear so destroying the car doesn't matter. I can only assume with the new damage system dying in a car that explodes will destroy all your gear. This, hopefully making highway murder spree's not viable at all.

Players should be rewarded for their hardwork and time shouldn't they? Players also should not be allowed to maintain a monopoly on a server. The only way I can think of to break this monopoly is to have cars completely break down and have them respawn randomly on the map instead of the current static system. Having a life meter will not penalize someone who logs in daily and uses their car as an extension of their camp. They aren't hoarding it if they are legitimately using it. This will introduce a new life cycle compared to the mega clan with a dozen different car parts already on hand. Players that can fix their same cars over and over and over again. Hopefully when the car does respawn it can be for someone else to enjoy. I see vehicles having a myriad of problems. I've lost track of the current dev standpoint on what is making it into the alpha release, but I can imagine vehicles being a big task to get done correctly.

Ehhhh. Everything else seems to be easy to find, which is why vehicles are the holy grail lol. I want military equipment in the SA to be HARD to find, not easy like it is now. Adds no excitement to the game. Otherwise, I would agree with you.

I don't see anything wrong with people stashing vehicles on the map edges and stuff. Dosent take that long to search em even on foot and its better to find a nice fixed car with some loot than spend hours trying to repair a fresh spawn.

More cars would just mean that those clans would have the best of the best vehicles. but at least there would be some crap cars for everyone else. Rare fuel means that the big clans will stockpile fuel inside there cars (and/or any fuel containers). Now they are just painting a target on there backs for people to join and find there camp.

To me fuel is just too abundant, restricting it could make the big clans play a more defensive game. Instead of going out looking for someone to ambush they may wanna protect there epic fuel stockpile. Because all it would take is 1 guy to find there camp....put all the jerrys in one car....blow the rest to hell and drive off ;)

This is the most sensible suggestion I've read for a long time. Fuel is limited even before the apocalypse, I'm pretty sure when the apocalypse hit, fuel will be as, if not, more valuable than guns.

I have to agree with this argument, why would a car be dumped on the side of the road if it still had gas? Broken down? Unlikely that it would happen just like that.

Cars on a parking may still have gas, or cars that where stuck in some traffic jam, but cars abandoned in the middle of nowhere? very unlikely.

And hey, once we have base-building... we could have fuel-production facilities.

Not anything super-refined like current fuel sources, but crude, 'it'll get you there eventually' types of fuel. Like alcohol and whatnot.

A facility that produces fuel in a post-apocalyptic world would be valuable as all fuck. And probably would last about twelve seconds before being blown up :D

I like the idea but only if fuel is rare and fuel pumps didnt have unlimited fuel, so you will need to check several gas stations to get it

Fuel should be... A limited amount per couple of days in a gas station backup tank or whatever.

Farmers fuel tanks should be the more common safer but have less chance of spawning with fuel in them.

Full jerrycans should be about five times rarer with similar loot tables, farms most common.

Empty jerrycans should be only slightly more common than full... But you should be able to use any liquid contain for a bit of fuel.

If you manage to find some fuel risk tipping the water from your drinkbottle incase you find a car.

Those are just my opinions on the matter of spawning and collecting.

You should have to push the car to a shed to get a hoist and have to work on your car their, it will make it a hot spot for bandits checking these sheds for someone's hard work on a car and you have this missing part and you fix it to only find no fuel, I totally agree fuel should be worth the price of gold it will be so rare and it will make players work together for a task because more hands the better you will go, most cars should have about 5tlrs I think just enough to loot from them but have the risk of water been in the fuel and it stuffs your car and your hard work. What a waste of 2 hrs of work for watered down fuel to stuff your car.

O and yes battery's should be dead to let's face it Howard cars what sit around wont turn over because the battery has died, and the tyres cracked and doors hard to open you may need a crow bar of it is dented from zombies trying to enter.

The problem with assuming that fuel should run out:

Bullets should run out. They would need to never respawn any additional ammo.

Canned/dry good should run out. No one is still producing these so they shouldn't respawn.

Boots... clothes.. backpacks... shovels... axes... crowbars... pistols... 

If fuel isn't replenished then neither is anything else. 

Sometimes you have to suspend reality for a the sake of a game. 

definately a good idea, plus thats much more cover for battles on the street too, no more running across open fields when in a battle.

..oh my..

The problem with assuming that fuel should run out:

Bullets should run out. They would need to never respawn any additional ammo.

Canned/dry good should run out. No one is still producing these so they shouldn't respawn.

Boots... clothes.. backpacks... shovels... axes... crowbars... pistols... 

If fuel isn't replenished then neither is anything else. 

Sometimes you have to suspend reality for a the sake of a game. 

I never said it should run out. I said it should be extremely rare.

Just like bullets are going to extremely rare in the standalone.

I never said it should run out. I said it should be extremely rare.

Just like bullets are going to extremely rare in the standalone.

I was addressing others in the thread he did say that the fuel should run out.

I think it should run out well at least extend the time between restarts to re spawn loot and ammo I hope is really rare and your really lucky to find a full clip with a gun, and fuel should run out as well, no workers making the food no farmers so oil tankers bring in supplies it won't last forever will at least re spawn items every month or week at least

I agree completly. At least half the zombies (previously chernarsuian citizens) would have previously owned a car, so a large amount of cars would be acceptable. Maybe not all of them would work though

I think it should run out well at least extend the time between restarts to re spawn loot and ammo I hope is really rare and your really lucky to find a full clip with a gun, and fuel should run out as well, no workers making the food no farmers so oil tankers bring in supplies it won't last forever will at least re spawn items every month or week at least

Run out? It should be so rare that you even won't be able to make it "run out".

I really like this Idea. Rather than 100 vehicles per server, I'd be more hopeful that It works along the lines of 4 cars per small town and maybe 6 per city, even spawning out in the open where you'd expect a vehicle would be abandoned.

I think the main problem we have currently is the unlimited fuel at fuel depos. We should have a limited amount of fuel in each and they should only refill under the same circumstances loot gets refreshed.

I really like this Idea. Rather than 100 vehicles per server, I'd be more hopeful that It works along the lines of 4 cars per small town and maybe 6 per city, even spawning out in the open where you'd expect a vehicle would be abandoned.

I think the main problem we have currently is the unlimited fuel at fuel depos. We should have a limited amount of fuel in each and they should only refill under the same circumstances loot gets refreshed.

You should need a manual pump or a hose and a blonde to get the fuel out of there or get some generator to run the pumps of the station itself, i'm sure anyone who can turn a car key has advanced electrical skills and a swiss knife to repair a nuclear power plant :rolleyes:

I absolutely love this idea, but of course this turns Dayz into a pvp war over fuel like oil wars. I'd say that fuel also becomes an attractant for zombies, got a gallon of fuel, zombies within 100 meters try to attack you for it.

Waaaaaaait.

Before you rage.

Hear me out.

Read the entire post or I'll just ignore your response.

I hate the hurr-durr 500 vehicle server start with DMR hatchet and rations bullshit as much as the next person. I'm very vocal about it. It's not DayZ.

For the standalone, though. I'm suggesting a drastic increase to the number of simple vehicles. Like 100 per server. Maybe even as much as 200. Hell, it'd be fine by me if they were clogging the streets like a traffic jam.

This is because of the realism aspect.

There were so many people living in Chernarus... but looking at the vehicle count, blown-up vehicles included, you'd think there were none. Empty vehicles could act as random loot containers. A collection of shit that people collected to take with them, and then abandoned when the infection got close or got to them. Weapons. Food. Medicine. Supplies. Because they're vehicles, they're random. They're not set in any pattern. They could show up on any road anywhere.

I'm not saying they should spawn in in mint condition. They should be orange at best, red at normal, destroyed at worst. Tires should be deflated. Fuel tanks should be rusted and empty. The engine should be rusted and no longer functional. The battery should be dead. Time should have taken its toll on these vehicles and rendered them useless.

And if any player that wants to, should spend enough time going from vehicle to vehicle and collecting all the orange parts, he should be able to cobble together a workable vehicle that can maybe reach 10 miles an hour if he's lucky.

Every player should have access to a vehicle. That's the first hinging point of this 'plan'.

Vehicles will no longer be the holy grail of DayZ. They will be an object. A tool.

But the balancing factor to this, and this is important: Make fuel as rare as night vision goggles.

Make fuel so scarce that finding a full jerry can is like coming across the holy fucking grail buried in the dirt.

No vehicle starts with fuel. No tanks are full. No stockpiles exist in the world except those created by players.

A DayZ world without fuel is a completely different world.

You can have five helicopters lined up in a row at a base. Can't go nowhere. Aint got no fuel.

You can have all the cars in the entire map stashed in the same spot. Aint got no fuel bro. Can't do shit.

The refineries are no longer active. Fuel is no longer being delivered. The gas stations and the fuel tanks have long, long since been emptied.

Fuel will become the new currency of DayZ. No longer will you measure the worth of an item against a gun, but rather, against a litre/gallon of fuel.

Helicopters won't be flown willy-nilly up and down the coast firing on new spawns. They will be kept in check for assaults and quick transport, and nothing else. There will be no 'joy rides'. Just as in a real apocalypse, a flight in a helicopter will be a measured, premeditated excursion. Especially as they burn fuel so hard already that each minute you're in the air is more precious currency being burned away.

When you see someone driving a vehicle, you won't want to kill him for his vehicle, but rather, you will want to kill him and siphon his fuel away.

And base building? What if you could put a 100 gallon fuel tank down somewhere and fill it with fuel? Can you imagine the fights over that kind of resource? A large clan could be raided and have all their fuel stolen and literally be unable to follow the theives. Or they could have their fuel supply blown up and cripple their entire operation.

So basically, the tl;dr is: increase vehicle count massively to devalue vehicles. But conversely make fuel super, super, super rare. Fuel will become the new currency, and the world will become a harsher, more realistic place.

The entire pivot point of the system is the rarity of fuel and the abundance of vehicles. Too few vehicles and it's not going to be worth it to try and get one running. Too abundant a supply of fuel and everyone and his uncle will have a vehicle. Which would suck.

P.S. I know the knee-jerk reaction against a vehicle increase is to scream 'NO NO NO NO NO'. But think. What would you do with a vehicle that has no fuel when fuel is as rare as NVGs? You loot that shit and move on, is what you do. Just like any loot point in the world.

I like it.  With the amount of f*cking cars we drive it would make a lot of sense they would still be easy to find.  Its fueling them and getting the engines to start that would be hard. 

Rocket said something about ripping a door off a car and putting it on another

How about cars are invincible (They don't explode) But virtually all the parts can be shot off. So your Door gets shot a couple times, and breaks off, leaving you exposed. Or the trunk could be shot open, and any bullets landing inside would destroy the gear, and stuff would fall out, and your hood being destroyed would destroy the engine. 

Cars would usaully start out with mostly original parts, and some would be destroyed/damaged. So, say you have a GAZ, and the Fuel tank is broken. You pull this tank off, and instead of destroying it, it adds the damaged tank to your inventory. (Maybe you could patch this tank up for a temporary fix?) And you put a new one on. This tank doesn't work aswell as the original, and wears out faster. It can even damage your car if you put, say, a Skoda tank on it.

So as for damaging your car.

Say a bandit ambushes you with an M240, kills you, and fucks your car up. Unlike the mod, the car doesn't explode, but everything is shot off, from doors and windows to Batteries and heads. So, you could fix it up, but your going to be putting unoriginal parts on it, and it will wear out faster and performance will be minimal. This would nerf being able to repair your vehicle over and over, and also nerf clans riding around, blowing up every car they don't want.

As for fuel, maybe every week it respawns at the stations, a d more will spawn at the remote stations (Like the polana/gorka one) and cans rarely spawn at farms. It  , as that makes vehicles useless, but rare enought to make it as valuble as FAL mags or even another car.

Edited by thedogfoodyayho