NagsterTheGangster

Mail by pidgeon?

I dunno, maybe instead of global chat you could catch mother-fuckin pidgeons know what im sayin? Like, pick a char in the world from a list and send your little messenger after them. Also a good tool for banditry to tell people to drop their shit, and if you see someones pidgeon coming to you with a threatening message you could somewhat pinpoint their location.

OH ya man Have pet pidgeons also new game mode pidgeon death match.

• Like 3

Is this a serious suggestion?

100%. The DayZ experience is about realism correct? Well Global chat is unrealistic in my opinion. There should obviously be other things implemented long before a little feature like this but why not carrier pidgeons? If you could catch a hawk maybe you could send a bloodbag (*edit, bandages, as you need a medic to give you the bloodbag and i dont think you can train a pidgeon for that shit lol) as a dedicated medic and recieve some kind of loot as a reward when the pidgeo returns also?

Edited by NagsterTheGangster

The DayZ experience is about realism correct?

I have a feeling you don't understand how carrier pigeons actually work.

From an article on carrier pigeons.

Historically, pigeons carried messages only one way, to their home. They had to be transported manually before another flight.

Edited by Rarabka233
  • Like 5

I have a feeling you don't understand how carrier pigeons actually work.

From an article on carrier pigeons.

Mang fuck you, u just got stoopid pidgeons, mine be smart n shit yo ;) lol But i guess my assumption was falsly claimed due to Assassins Creed 1 (your master uses that shit back n forth all the time.)  But on the reals, you're gunna bust me on that logic? Where in real life does text chat appear in front of me. Im just sayin it could add a little more realism and I personally think the idea is usable on a few different levels. never will I see it in game but hey, a guy can dream right

I think whilst the idea of carrier pigeons in this case may be somewhat ridiculous, the man has a point. However ridiculous it sounds, there definitely is grounds for a better comms system other than side chat. I'm sure that it has been dealt with in the SA though (I'm sure I read something about CB radios, walkie-talkie's or something along those lines).

• Like 1

They can't find players on the move.... carrier pigeons find specific locations, not specific people.

• Like 2

Also, where did everyone get these trained pigeons from? Are we pigeon trainers as well as soldiers, mechanics and medical doctors now?

• Like 1

First of all, you can't just grab a random pidgin and tie a letter to it's leg.  Takes quite a few years of training and even then they usually only go to 1 place (you carry the pidgin with you and let it go, it goes home) or 2 (pidgin travels between two 'coops', takes a FUCKING long time to get them up to that point).  There's no way you're gonna train a pidgin to not only know who the hell you want to send a message to, but also track them down wherever they are.

Second, assuming Rocket huffs paint and thinks this is a brilliant idea (where pidgins replace the global chat, not adding in messenger pidgins at all, which ridiculousness aside is kind of an okay idea) I can just picture it taking 3 hours to get a letter that just says 'lol' on it.

Third, I'm assuming you don't pay attention to the dev blogs, Global chat (for standalone at least) will be replaced with radios, which you will need to loot, and find the right frequencies.

• Like 1

Third, I'm assuming you don't pay attention to the dev blogs, Global chat (for standalone at least) will be replaced with radios, which you will need to loot, and find the right frequencies.

This.

You realise how useless this would be?

Oh look a person! Better write a message, stick it to this little winged creature's foot and throw it at him!

Where are we getting this pidgeons from anyway? We just keep a backpack full of pidgeons with us in case we want to rob someone?

• Like 1

I like idea of way for communicate in game with any player on any server :thumbsup:  :)

but pigeon need train :|

also pigeon for mail only fly home they don't fly to place you tell them, is where you release is different :P

so in reality this idea have potential but not for communicate any player any place, only player who is in place pigeon call home, is homing pigeon :huh:

• Like 2

It's shit like this, that makes people think Canadians are uneducated. Please stop.

Mang fuck you, u just got stoopid pidgeons, mine be smart n shit yo ;) lol But i guess my assumption was falsly claimed due to Assassins Creed 1 (your master uses that shit back n forth all the time.)  But on the reals, you're gunna bust me on that logic? Where in real life does text chat appear in front of me. Im just sayin it could add a little more realism and I personally think the idea is usable on a few different levels. never will I see it in game but hey, a guy can dream right

If you find it unrealistic, please don't use servers with side chat. There are many "unrealistic" things in DayZ, but the game is never going to be 100% real.

• Like 2

100%. The DayZ experience is about realism correct? Well Global chat is unrealistic in my opinion. There should obviously be other things implemented long before a little feature like this but why not carrier pidgeons? If you could catch a hawk maybe you could send a bloodbag (*edit, bandages, as you need a medic to give you the bloodbag and i dont think you can train a pidgeon for that shit lol) as a dedicated medic and recieve some kind of loot as a reward when the pidgeo returns also?

Firstly, DayZ is not about realism.

Secondly, what the hell? Do you think a freakin' pidgeo is realistic? You know how hard it is to even catch one? I don't even want to talk about training them to do something you want. But even if you spend years training a pidgeo, do you think he would be able to find anyone? You can train him to fly to a certain spot, but not to a certain person (or do they have some awesome supernatural powers?), especially if they don't even know that person.

No, that would be just unauthentic.

Edited by Wayze

It's shit like this, that makes people think Canadians are uneducated. Please stop.

If you find it unrealistic, please don't use servers with side chat. There are many "unrealistic" things in DayZ, but the game is never going to be 100% real.

Firstly, DayZ is not about realism.

Secondly, what the hell? Do you think a freakin' pidgeo is realistic? You know how hard it is to even catch one? I don't even want to talk about training them to do something you want. But even if you spend years training a pidgeo, do you think he would be able to find anyone? You can train him to fly to a certain spot, but not to a certain person (or do they have some awesome supernatural powers?), especially if they don't even know that person.

No, that would be just unauthentic.

Hooly kids, calm your nipples. "More" realistic was the term i used (i believe, im too lazy to backout pages and check but im pretty sure). But you dont think something that is at least existant in our world is less realistic than a magical blue text infront of my eyes? Maybe with some Google glasses.

Also, the basis of the game is the ARMA combat simulator, which is what sets this game apart in my opinion (among other things) and ive never played a game with this many small details before. if you wanna voice your opinion then thats cool, but dont just shittalk and repeat the comments above :/