SmashT

DayZ Developer Blog 7th September 2013

Also, you can not release DayZ without zombies in, whats the point? you would get more grief from purchasers than is worth the hassle. release as is bu twith lower jumping lunacy.

I agree 100 % Michael , but they are hiding around the fact the ALPHA could be released without Zombies, not the finished Game. Same in my boat sheer Lunacy, Zombie Survival Game Alpha released with NO Zombies

• Like 1

DayZ wouldn't be DayZ without zombies.That's the main purpose of the game, alpha or not. Surviving in the zombie apocalypse.

I say stick with the placeholder zombies as they are now and progress them with patches as they update the game. DayZ has landed their foot on the right ground as an alpha. It pleases the general audience, expands their testing on servers a lot more and issues could be reported much easier with more players.

• Like 2

Youll never win give up now lmao

Did realize this was a "win lose" situation. Just wanted an answer to a question and so far its went off topic.

Did realize this was a "win lose" situation. Just wanted an answer to a question and so far its went off topic.

Meaning I've tried before

RE: Zeds or No Zeds?

It brings to mind Rocket's eagerness to dull the hype surrounding launch (for the sake of server space etc.)

If the first Alpha shipped sans zombies, we'd certainly be looking at a less excited audience. Generally speaking.

Most of the dedicated folks would probably shrug it off, but many others might decide to opt-out based on that alone.

Yeah i never said that they should

Correct.  Good job for realizing that my post was mine and my words were mine also.  

It brings to mind Rocket's eagerness to dull the hype surrounding launch (for the sake of server space etc.)

If the first Alpha shipped sans zombies, we'd certainly be looking at a less excited audience. Generally speaking.

Most of the dedicated folks would probably shrug it off, but many others might decide to opt-out based on that alone.

I agree.  The game should go alpha with no zombies.  This would drive off all the people who don't want to test and leave the testers behind.  Ignorant people who just saw it pop up on steam would surely be driven away by a zombie game with no zombies.  

I disagree, Rocket has made many many mistakes handling this game, HIS words not mine. Don't let this be another . I can just see the Reviewers having a field day, IGN Headlines " DAY released ,Alpha Ships with NO Z "

I try to encourage all I meet to join this game in person and our Website, fucking hilarious they will say with no Zombies. Servers Imagine if every Game company thought I hope not too many people play the Alpha because there may not be enough Servers, Ohh dear

I want a pet rat in game so bad right now. You could store it in your jacket pocket or have it sit on your shoulder.

or eat it when you get bored and hungry...

But also, I think it would be a nice thing to have for players to spawn into a rat or other such creepy crawly while waiting for a server slot to play, or when they die... it'd be like being reincarnated into lowly vermin in their next life. If their humanity was good, they get to be a butterfly, bird or bat.

This would male a brilliant way to stalk players unknowingly. It'd be like: Dude.. this rat's been following my ass for the last 8 hours. What's that about?!

Edited by codestargod
  • Like 4

Im interested that can you wear the hoodie over the vest to hide it?

cool cool cool..really nice upload

total wipe when zombies are added

Edited by Bludy

i personally think releasing DayZ without the Z would be a highly riskful endeavour. don't know what to think about that :/

• Like 1

An alpha is for testing not for entertainment....I would prefer to see an extended closed alpha, followed by a beta providing all basic features and the complete map ( maybe without basebuilding and vehicles)....

but that's just me  :P

• Like 1

Ok I have one question. Shouldn't the item degradation be dumbed down a little bit? One shot and its already in bad shape. Its going to make it hard to get peoples things when you have to get headshots only to protect what your trying to get. And unless your the best sniper out there or you catch them while standing still, your gonna have to get up closer and I dont think they'll want to give you time to aim down. I mean I LOVE the idea but I think one shot is a little too much... can someone explain how this won't be a problem?

The damage values shown in the video haven't been configured yet, he was just showing us the basic concept of items getting destroyed from taking hits.

But besides that, It being hard to get gear by just shooting people is the whole point of the mechanic, people will have to be more creative, holding people up, trading, deception, track them to their camp.

Edited by Fluxley

Congo Rats on the release (when ever).

More rats= more chance for disease

I read 'la peste', can you imagine it, bubonic plague in Elektro :o

I posted this in the Other Forum, posting here just to get others opinions and how far this could go.

Urban Clothing / Uniforms

The Urban Feel they are looking for is taking shape and going to be perfect . Wonder if you could randomly spawn with particular clothing  It's like shit went down you ran out of your apartment with what ever you had, hence some are dressed in gawdy civvy clothing some could be barely clothed, sometimes you may spawn in a police Uniform and even more random military uniforms. These Uniforms / Clothing become a comodity and will be highly sort after for protection from the elements in some cases as well as we see Vests for protection

I actually really like the idea of starting with random clothing.  I think many of the things should be off limits (tactical vests etc) but starting with just some random but basic clothing (or none at all) would be a nice touch.

• Like 1

But also, I think it would be a nice thing to have for players to spawn into a rat or other such creepy crawly while waiting for a server slot to play, or when they die... it'd be like being reincarnated into lowly vermin in their next life. If their humanity was good, they get to be a butterfly, bird or bat.

This would male a brilliant way to stalk players unknowingly. It'd be like: Dude.. this rat's been following my ass for the last 8 hours. What's that about?!

You'd have people that spawned as rats directing team mates towards unsuspecting players, really bad idea.

• Like 4

i personally think releasing DayZ without the Z would be a highly riskful endeavour. don't know what to think about that :/

you dont change horse mid race ;)

You'd have people that spawned as rats directing team mates towards unsuspecting players, really bad idea.

rats should be in no way connected to players ! a disease aspect could be good if worked apart from that scenary.

• Like 1

No zombies and you wil be reinforcing a KOS mentality from the off, I mean what else besides explore and craft will players do? So players may be without zombies for a short while but players gaming patterns stick very quickly, and the SA could do without a dedicated COD like posse jumping on board from day 2, when they find out no zeds but survivor only.

With the mod being worked on in tandem and inevitably becoming more like the SA, players are not going to leave or be dissuaded to buy the game, they will just jump until the game has the features they want and carry out like they do.

It is true without imagination players ignore the zombies after a while in game (Mod) I just hope the new zeds are alterable and adaptive enough to keep players occupied.  Lets be honest once you sneak past one zed there really is no challenge but from other players..

Now I would not say allow players to play as zombies, but if a (pointless, but nice animation non the less) rat can be simulated, then being a zombie player is very possible.  How about PVP, PVE on a player as a zombie level, your main threat (zombie) would take on a whole new measure with players directing them to EVERYWHERE. no place would be safe and no corner unchecked.  Many games now allow you to be the good and bad characters in game, I see DayZ's future success to allow players to be Zombies to give it that edge after the game becomes saturated.  Single player (ie lone wolf experience) gameplay does become stale after a while, but in group player style, your odds become 100% idiot proof to death. seriousy when was the last time you died by a zombie while playing in a group?

even if it is from release day until you create your super zombies in the background.........

rocket, Please allow players the choice to select to play as zombies (Not skinned survivors, not risen after bitten) this will (imo) bring your game into a realm of its own.  You will give Server side control to admins eventually so why not from the bat give players a choice which will allow them to play as they wish? save your time with new AI code, save your time with further developments, save your budget (it is understood you care less about this than most other issues)  there is no better enemy than a real life person who could control what you are trying to create. SA will offer endless options for players from all walks.

Mechanics?  give zed players better sound hearing, limited FOV or even secretion view mode, where they can only see certain things (blood, sweat, tears, piss and shit) to home in on Humans, think Predator heat signature but with a more realistic vision system. movement could be a the same as players only from fresh spawn (or infected?) speed and strength would be determined via last meal as it were, only regenerative by hunting and eating survivors (half a bar for animals? imagine trying to locate animals as a survivor then)  Zombies are infected after all with a brain like a horses pants puss, surely their digestive system would be unaffected bar the odd missing limb system. so what they will not have the scope of your dream to survive long (crafting, base building and yes no driving) but it would be an attractive alternative to career players who want everything in game and end up hoarding everything (server side spawning rate and availablity)

As a recently infected player, you could be a part of the story due to your demise, so many origins and could be a part of the textual, visual elements of the story.  A player could loot a house and be confronted by the original residents of the town, zed physical representation could be added to allow players to see who and where the zeds came from, a few pictures in houses and walls would give zed players more to relate to their evil character. Notes and diary entries would have more impact based on a limited emotional respose from players, heck make children zombies, slower but unbeatable, imagine that?

Negative? you WILL sell more copies than Shades of Grey and be imortalised with enough resources to buy all the DC and Lambos you need.  I was once told by a Mentor: Opportunities only come round once in a while, take them all!

I will post this in the Suggestion thread also to see wider community thoughts

• Like 4

No zombies and you wil be reinforcing a KOS mentality from the off, I mean what else besides explore and craft will players do? So players may be without zombies for a short while but players gaming patterns stick very quickly, and the SA could do without a dedicated COD like posse jumping on board from day 2, when they find out no zeds but survivor only.

With the mod being worked on in tandem and inevitably becoming more like the SA, players are not going to leave or be dissuaded to buy the game, they will just jump until the game has the features they want and carry out like they do.

It is true without imagination players ignore the zombies after a while in game (Mod) I just hope the new zeds are alterable and adaptive enough to keep players occupied.  Lets be honest once you sneak past one zed there really is no challenge but from other players..

Now I would not say allow players to play as zombies, but if a (pointless, but nice animation non the less) rat can be simulated, then being a zombie player is very possible.  How about PVP, PVE on a player as a zombie level, your main threat (zombie) would take on a whole new measure with players directing them to EVERYWHERE. no place would be safe and no corner unchecked.  Many games now allow you to be the good and bad characters in game, I see DayZ's future success to allow players to be Zombies to give it that edge after the game becomes saturated.  Single player (ie lone wolf experience) gameplay does become stale after a while, but in group player style, your odds become 100% idiot proof to death. seriousy when was the last time you died by a zombie while playing in a group?

even if it is from release day until you create your super zombies in the background.........

rocket, Please allow players the choice to select to play as zombies (Not skinned survivors, not risen after bitten) this will (imo) bring your game into a realm of its own.  You will give Server side control to admins eventually so why not from the bat give players a choice which will allow them to play as they wish? save your time with new AI code, save your time with further developments, save your budget (it is understood you care less about this than most other issues)  there is no better enemy than a real life person who could control what you are trying to create. SA will offer endless options for players from all walks.

Mechanics?  give zed players better sound hearing, limited FOV or even secretion view mode, where they can only see certain things (blood, sweat, tears, piss and shit) to home in on Humans, think Predator heat signature but with a more realistic vision system. movement could be a the same as players only from fresh spawn (or infected?) speed and strength would be determined via last meal as it were, only regenerative by hunting and eating survivors (half a bar for animals? imagine trying to locate animals as a survivor then)  Zombies are infected after all with a brain like a horses pants puss, surely their digestive system would be unaffected bar the odd missing limb system. so what they will not have the scope of your dream to survive long (crafting, base building and yes no driving) but it would be an attractive alternative to career players who want everything in game and end up hoarding everything (server side spawning rate and availablity)

As a recently infected player, you could be a part of the story due to your demise, so many origins and could be a part of the textual, visual elements of the story.  A player could loot a house and be confronted by the original residents of the town, zed physical representation could be added to allow players to see who and where the zeds came from, a few pictures in houses and walls would give zed players more to relate to their evil character. Notes and diary entries would have more impact based on a limited emotional respose from players, heck make children zombies, slower but unbeatable, imagine that?

Negative? you WILL sell more copies than Shades of Grey and be imortalised with enough resources to buy all the DC and Lambos you need.  I was once told by a Mentor: Opportunities only come round once in a while, take them all!

I will post this in the Suggestion thread also to see wider community thoughts

players playing as zombies has been done before it is good fun and always going to be better than any ai.

my friend made a zombie mod for cod 4 (NovemberDobby) and in his mod you could select to play as different types of zombies and even as a dog ! all the zombies and even the dog had different animations and it is still played alot now with servers packed 64man 24/7. so this has a player base but would it fit in with dayz.

one thing that was very good with the mod is how players who were zombies banded together to get the survivors and it becomes quite tactical getting someone out of a building . the person/s who are still alive of bottleneck themselves in so the zombies cant really force there way in but because zombies have different talents/powers you can use different tactics to get the survivors other than mass numbers.

while im not advovacating we make zombies into a cod styled mod some of the game mechanics behind NovemberDobbies mod are very clever and work ! i think refined idea on this system could work for dayz.

imagine 150 man server with 100 players as zombies instead of the ai :D  if you one of those last few left when a whole server has turned this would be fun and terrifying as everyone trys there hardest to get you.

this could even be a different mode to dayz so both sides of the coin are catered for and it can no longer be the Hardcore vs Cod brigade as labled.

if anyone wants to look at the mod and has cod4 this is ip 91.121.54.64:28930

Edited by dgeesio