SmashT

DayZ Developer Blog 7th September 2013

If you are shot in the knee wearing jeans, will the items in your pockets be damaged, or only the jeans?

As the game register the exact location of the bullet impact It would be nice if you need to shot the pockets area for the items to become damaged.

I assume this is why the exact location is registered. Not just for the blood spatter.

Edited by PXXL

I’m the last to comment never played the game (will do when I get a new rig from my 2004 build I still use).

Adding all this damage models is all fine and well but I’d hate to think it was done at the expense of well the game just running well with less to go wrong. What I watch granted it’s the Mod, players just walk round Zombies like you would a cow. Very little threat at all. Zombie movement I know is getting worked on as it was shocking looking but did it job.

Basically all this damage to items could work well and play well but to me is worthless if the main thing being the Zombies are just annoyances like fly’s. Crack the zombies and then get the other stuff in.

• Like 1

I’m the last to comment never played the game (will do when I get a new rig from my 2004 build I still use).

Adding all this damage models is all fine and well but I’d hate to think it was done at the expense of well the game just running well with less to go wrong. What I watch granted it’s the Mod, players just walk round Zombies like you would a cow. Very little threat at all. Zombie movement I know is getting worked on as it was shocking looking but did it job.

Basically all this damage to items could work well and play well but to me is worthless if the main thing being the Zombies are just annoyances like fly’s. Crack the zombies and then get the other stuff in.

Graphic design ≠ core programmers

Dean has clarified that this was a bug post dev blog, and made sure to stress during the dev blog that the damage values were far from final.

From what I gather it's a conscious design decision rather than a technical limitation; with the chances of being shot in the pockets are quite low, thus negating the implementation of the mechanic as a deterrent to shoot on sight. In some situations, compromises have to be made with game design taking precedence over realism.

Please make up your mind, cause these two comments IMO are directly opposite to each other;

either all items inside clothing will take damage (as you put it "as a deterrent to shoot on sight") or they will take damage based on where you are shot... I really hope it is the latter.

The restraint system is simply another gameplay option, of which we can never have enough of imo. With the ability to struggle out of said restraints, how is it any different to "a clan of 12 year olds" holding a gun to your head at the moment, or knocking you out and detaining you in the dragging animation?

It's an extra dynamic when you consider things such as forced blood transfusions and the like...perhaps some buggery (if you're into that sort of thing).

So you are saying that each player will decide if they want to be able to be chained up or not? That's what a game play option is.

Your not struggling out of anything if one 12 year old is left guarding the flock of fresh spawns they have captured.

Use you head, they will let you play the game weather your a fan boy or not. lol

Please make up your mind, cause these two comments IMO are directly opposite to each other

I'm sorry what?  :huh:

The bug I referred to in the first quoted comment was that of every single item becoming damaged upon being shot. It had nothing to do with location whatsoever.

I discovered a bug where all damage is applied to all items inside a container. This isn't how it was designed to work. What is supposed to happen is that when damaged is applied to anything, that damage is taken off the damage value caused by the round.

Also, another note I thought I would add:

I think the animation transitions would look smoother if the upper body moved as well as the lower body, but the head stayed in its position. It looks as if it will work better.

Great dev blog.

Was very pleased to hear that the zombies are going to be completely re-done. All the other work being done for the SA is awesome but I think the z's have always been the biggest flaw. I just hope the engine is able to allow the right behaviour.

• Like 2

Great dev blog.

Was very pleased to hear that the zombies are going to be completely re-done. All the other work being done for the SA is awesome but I think the z's have always been the biggest flaw. I just hope the engine is able to allow the right behaviour.

Well they have the guy that actually created the engine working on the team so theoretically "skies the limit".

• Like 3

Can you run while cuffed? Bunny hopping and jerking around while runnung in cufs so harder to hit!

Can you run while cuffed? Bunny hopping and jerking around while runnung in cufs so harder to hit!

No you can't.

And I really hope the vaulting animation will only work when in proximity of an obstacle. "Bunny-hopping" is the epitome of arcade gameplay and completely ruins immersion.

• Like 2

Yes, obviously I was dead serious with that comment... But in all seriousnessssss you should be able to run/move, would be nice to get cuffed and left there to strugle out of them(how long it ever takes) while zeds come and bite your neck

I have realized that the dev team have been suspiciously silent on whether they will include ammo crafting in the alpha release.

Obviously, I take this to mean that it will definitely be included, and that they are secretly working on this functionality and will have something similar to the lee reloading kit in-game.

Good job Dev team, make us proud!! :thumbsup:

Edited by codestargod

So now, when some douche bag kills somebody for fun, that victim not only dies but has zero reason to try and make it back to their corpse in the hopes that the killer moved on? Most of the times I've died the person killing me took little from my corpse outside a weapon, ammo or backpack and many times nothing at all. Now every thing just gets destroyed. The only real risk to a guy killing every single player he sees is the brief time when he goes to loot his victim's corpse. Now they know to just kill and move on. Doesn't sound fun at all.

So now, when some douche bag kills somebody for fun, that victim not only dies but has zero reason to try and make it back to their corpse in the hopes that the killer moved on? Most of the times I've died the person killing me took little from my corpse outside a weapon, ammo or backpack and many times nothing at all. Now every thing just gets destroyed. The only real risk to a guy killing every single player he sees is the brief time when he goes to loot his victim's corpse. Now they know to just kill and move on. Doesn't sound fun at all.

Watch the video again and try to actually listen to the audio with the developer speaking. You will have storage in multiple items and damage will only go to where you are hit. So if you had gear in your pants and are shot in the chest that gear will be fine. If you get shot in the head all of your gear will be fine. Finally pay attention to the part where he says damage values are being tweaked still, so while in the devblog those shots destroyed everything in the vest (not the entire player inventory mind you) that is not the final system.

No you can't.

And I really hope the vaulting animation will only work when in proximity of an obstacle. "Bunny-hopping" is the epitome of arcade gameplay and completely ruins immersion.

Detecting if you are close to an object would be way more taxing on the game.   Rather, if  you bunnyhop, you should get tired quickly, and slow down a lot.  That way, if some moron thought he could hop away from danger, he would just get tired and start running real slow. 

Bunnyhopping doesn't exist in DayZ does it? (It doesn't allow you to move faster then running). Some sort of stamina system would easily avoid people jumping repeatedly though, possibly already in the game too.

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 1

By no means is item damage 'forcing' different types of player interaction. If properly implemented, which it seems to be, the game will better imitate life and become so much more interesting and fun. 

In reality, if you found yourself in a barren wasteland with an automatic weapon, intent on taking a backpacker's precious items by force, would you fire indiscriminately and risk damaging what meager, but potentially valuable, possessions he has? I'm not arguing that a robber wouldn't shoot him on sight, but perhaps he'd consider another approach (even if that approach is trying for a headshot), if available to him.

It also presents the opportunity for frustrating mistakes that aren't necessary lethal! What better than the frustration of bandits realizing they destroyed the very thing they needed when they killed someone. Them cursing each-other out, blame assigned left and right, until finally they turn on each-other like the feral dogs they are? 

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 2

Lookin' good so far guys! Keep it up! But I would just make it a percentage that you destroy items on the persons chest. Either an increased percentage per bullet taken or just random percentages in general (possibly the chance of only destroying some loot?)

And speaking of crickets, will there be crickets, frogs, dragonflies, mosquitoes bearing disease by the swamps and things?

And speaking of crickets, will there be crickets, frogs, dragonflies, mosquitoes bearing disease by the swamps and things?

I'd love to see fireflies around an open field while I navigate by looking at the stars :)