rocket

DayZ Developer Blog 3rd August 2013

I have a disease and I see a player. I can ask him for help, or I can shoot him and see if he has some antibiotics on him. What will be my motivation to pick the former option over the latter?

Like i said initially, the 90% chance that the cure is destroyed if you shoot and kill the guy... 

If we go by what Dean said: pop a bullet in the dude's head and there's no reason for the antibiotics to be destroyed. Unless he held the box under his cap.

Besides, if I was to ask him for help, who says he'll help me instead of killing me? I do have that sweet Lee Enfield on me while he only has a Makarov and he doesn't need my help right now anyway.

You know when he won't kill me, or I won't kill him? When there's the prospect of getting swarmed by zeds before the looting can commence. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a cunt in any way, I actively try to avoid shooting people in DayZ at all costs unless there's no other choice (i.e. getting shot at or they're acting very suspicious).. I'm just a realist with little faith in mankind.

Edited by Applejuice
  • Like 1

If we go by what Dean said: pop a bullet in the dude's head and there's no reason for the antibiotics to be destroyed. Unless he held the box under his cap.

Besides, if I was to ask him for help, who says he'll help me instead of killing me? I do have that sweet Lee Enfield on me while he only has a Makarov and he doesn't need my help right now anyway.

You know when he won't kill me, or I won't kill him? When there's the prospect of getting swarmed by zeds before the looting can commence. 

Disclaimer: I'm not a cunt in any way, I actively try to avoid shooting people in DayZ at all costs unless there's no other choice (i.e. getting shot at or they're acting very suspicious).. I'm just a realist with little faith in mankind.

Yeah the devs can stick to that and hope for the best if they want, I was just describing a game mechanic that could curb the impulse to shoot anything that moves.

The threat of zombies swarming you if you start shooting could work but the threat has to be balanced on both sides. By that i mean people shooting from the woods should attract just as many zombies as someone shooting in a city... But how do you do that? spawn zombies near gun shots?

We all like a bit of realism in our games but there comes a point where you have to focus on making a good game, and suggest joining the army to anyone that wants 100% realism. 

• Like 3

There are already zeds roaming the wilds in the mod. With the improved performance of the SA I'm sure they could increase the number of roaming zeds, so that if someone is shooting from the bushes on a hill overlooking a town, he'd still get unwanted zed-attention.

I really can only see one fix to prevent KoS, and that is to inflict danger on the one firing a gun. Put him in the same kind of danger as the one he's firing at. You can't rely on moral choices to minimize KoS, because behind the anonymity of the internet, everyone is a potential cunt.

• Like 2

You can't rely on moral choices to minimize KoS, because behind the anonymity of the internet, everyone is a potential cunt.

Obviously morality can't be the only reason not to shoot someone but it helps. I like playing as a hero and i try not to shoot survivors or other heroes but i'll shoot bandits on sight. That is a fun and meaning full game mechanic that tries to bring order to the chaos.

ps. I've yet to see a zombie in the deep woods.

Edited by Rek Seven

New DayZ Daily 

Today is fun day. Implementing player targeting and associated crafting systems, such as blood collection and basic melee! #DayZDaily

Anyone with medical knowledge? Item name: Transfusion Assembly or IV Starter kit?

and interesting comments about the context menu

Will this go anywhere towards fixing the action menu system Dyslecxi so eloquently ripped apart?

Let me put it this way, Dyslecxi is on my skype, and was the main actor in the testing we did last week. I bug him regularly. We're not going to fix everything straight away, but I think we've got some good stuff inbound.

Nobody said anything about REPLACING the action menu.

From my perspective - the issue isn't the menu itself, it's always been how it's implemented. And then just small bugs around it. Don't go get all crazy expecting everything to change.

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 5

There are already zeds roaming the wilds in the mod. With the improved performance of the SA I'm sure they could increase the number of roaming zeds, so that if someone is shooting from the bushes on a hill overlooking a town, he'd still get unwanted zed-attention.

I really can only see one fix to prevent KoS, and that is to inflict danger on the one firing a gun. Put him in the same kind of danger as the one he's firing at. You can't rely on moral choices to minimize KoS, because behind the anonymity of the internet, everyone is a potential cunt.

Obviously morality can't be the only reason not to shoot someone but it helps. I like playing as a hero and i try not to shoot survivors or other heroes but i'll shoot bandits on sight. That is a fun and meaning full game mechanic that tries to bring order to the chaos.

ps. I've yet to see a zombie in the deep woods.

As I continue to put more thought into the KoS mentality I've thought about something.  Now it is a video game but I think the concept applies to dayz too.  In "The Last of Us" Joel talks about how if you want to survive, you have to abandon your morality.  If you don't, you will die.  Obviously this is a video game and when we kill someone in it, we are only killing a virtual character, but is it possible that to a degree, all of us who KoS, have abandoned any form of morality we could have in DayZ?  Survival is our number one goal on this.  I'm not talking about those who KoS out of boredom, but those who KoS for gear, or feel threatened and such.

The shoot on sight problem is a tricky one, I don't think it can ever be completely removed and honestly don't think it should be as I think it would happen some IRL. However what about a system where each time  you loot a dead body you have a high chance of catching a disease, say somewhere around 60%. Since we know antibiotics will be very rare then maybe this could help prevent killing instead of trading. You could even go so far as heroes have a much smaller chance of catching something and bandits have a much higher chance. This would allow you to grab your friends gear if your a hero and he dies and make doing the same if your a bandit a risky situation. 

Edited by birddog_61

The shoot on sight problem is a tricky one, I don't think it can ever be completely removed and honestly don't think it should be as I think it would happen some IRL. However what about a system where each time  you loot a dead body you have a high chance of catching a disease, say somewhere around 60%. Since we know antibiotics will be very rare then maybe this could help prevent killing instead of trading. You could even go so far as heroes have a much smaller chance of catching something and bandits have a much higher chance. This would allow you to grab your friends gear if your a hero and he dies and make doing the same if your a bandit a risky situation. 

The last thing you would want to do in DayZ is punish a certain play style and give advantages to another.

• Like 1

Yep we need to get rid of some things in the action menu. Dslyecxi pretty much nailed

what is wrong in the action menu.

Weapon changing and explosives need to be removed from Action Menu and they need to tweak some bugs or annoyance.

If DayZ fixes this before Arma 3 I can see a shit storm in Arma 3 side :D

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

The last thing you would want to do in DayZ is punish a certain play style and give advantages to another.

Thats why I said go as far as, if the devs or community don't think the heroes should have a smaller chance then I have no problem with that. I still think making looting a dead body a very risky situation could help lower the KoS situations. I might kill you and get some NVG's but I might also die because I cant find any antibiotics afterwards. 

This!^  If you conceive the KoS mentality as 'a' problem you are dead wrong in a sandbox game. If it annoys you it is "your" problem. Zombies coming out of nowhere to charge people who fire a gun at someone to punish them for fireing said gun? Bullshit, you might aswell do away with guns alltogether then. A guy with a gun that gets the drop on you will always have you at a severe disadvantage, unless he is a lousy shot.

Besides take the guns out and ppl will just swing axes at one another :P  To stay in zombie terms: nut up or shut up.

Edit: on the matter of needing other players. You won't be killed on sight less, you will get groups of friends who work together and kill anyone who they don't know on sight. Nothing new there.

Edited by HazZarD87
  • Like 4

its all ended. just get over it ppl. you are fucking dreaming of HL4, its what you doing here. rocket keeps feeding bullshit, you keep eating it like creme-caramel.. it wont be anything like you all dreaming of. its gonna port arma engine to consoles for kids to buy. its the only thing why there is a project called 'dayz sa'.. are you too fucking stupid or what? if it would have been a PC game, should have released in winter. fucking wake up ffs people..

Yep we need to get rid of some things in the action menu. Dslyecxi pretty much nailed in this video what is wrong in the action menu.

Weapon changing and explosives need to be removed from Action Menu and they need to tweak some bugs or annoyance.

If DayZ fixes this before Arma 3 I can see a shit storm in Arma 3 side :D

More

do we know how actions will work in standalone? like will we have to open doors with the scroll wheel again or can we simply press e

look at it and press space (or whatever you map it too)

its all ended. just get over it ppl. you are fucking dreaming of HL4, its what you doing here. rocket keeps feeding bullshit, you keep eating it like creme-caramel.. it wont be anything like you all dreaming of. its gonna port arma engine to consoles for kids to buy. its the only thing why there is a project called 'dayz sa'.. are you too fucking stupid or what? if it would have been a PC game, should have released in winter. fucking wake up ffs people..

Lolwut? Tinfoil hat much?  :lol:

Edited by CapricornOne
  • Like 2

Thats why I said go as far as, if the devs or community don't think the heroes should have a smaller chance then I have no problem with that. I still think making looting a dead body a very risky situation could help lower the KoS situations. I might kill you and get some NVG's but I might also die because I cant find any antibiotics afterwards. 

Or you might have died, ran back to your body to get your items and come off of it with cholera. 

Dat logic.

• Like 8

Some punishment could be added but I don't know does it really help the issue. Punishment doesn't mean you can't play that role, it just means it's harder to be 'that' player.

I like creme-caramel :/

• Like 1

Bayonet on a mortar?

You wot m8

http://7f707af5cce54c2d5f77-e3b87bed69e5e75268a1a04297bb727a.r98.cf2.rackcdn.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/0aa9d39765634cd6ff9e5b085da19619/o/n/on8006__16.jpg

Close enuf.

Obviously not bayos on LMG/HMG etc But the attachment system would be interesting if it affects heavy weapons as well.

Rgds

LoK

This whole "bandits have no punishment and it's too hard to be a hero" thing is just silly.  DayZ: SA is going for authenticity after all.  Being a hero has no reward, that's what makes you a hero. 

• Like 9