SmashT

July Round-up: "I want the alpha" < "I want the alpha to be good"

Traditionally yes, when you have to write an entire engine from scratch and basically everything else in the game including the map.

they didn't write an engine from scratch. they rewrote the architecture for the multiplayer and re-did a lot of stuff on the map, but still used the original map.

• Like 1

I thought rocket said that the only thing keeping the game from launching was the frame work to be finished? Now they aren't even in a alpha state? What the hell are they doing reverse engineering the game from a copy they stole in the future?

• Like 6

DayZ is a desperation genre like Totalbiscuit said.

Many people are totally desperate and will rage about bugs and cause a fuss.

I am going to close my eyes to shield myself from the flames. I will open them after a few months have passed.

I will dig it up every time someone will try to make a point that there was never a release date set.

We all know about the December release date and why it was missed, it was explained at length in various interviews and the devblog. I think it's the misconception that they've missed multiple release dates that rustles people jimmies.

• Like 5

BRAVO! This is something I have been pushing for a while, and its just reinforcing what I said many times! The wait is well worth it for a game because the effort is being made.

We all know about the December release date and why it was missed, it was explained at length in various interviews and the devblog. I think it's the misconception that they've missed multiple release dates that rustles people jimmies.

• Like 1

So wait now, does that mean that the release is not coming soon? He told us mid august in worst case scenario.

What I really think, I could be wrong and I like Dean but I really think so, is that he just got the reactions from the E3. People said the animations look bad, the zombies are weird etc. Week after that he started to do motion capturing. Before that he told everyone that the alpha will be JUST something for real hardcore players. I think he changed his opinion and actually wants to release it for everyone even in the alpha. Maybe he is afraid of bad publicity. I don't know, I just hope he did not change the release date.

Don't get me wrong I want a good alpha too, but the problem is the more features he adds to the game. The more animation stuff he is doing the more will later be removed or replaced. I really don't think they are just working on the game to get it working, it more seems he is getting the game ready for the public. But we hardcore players just need a game which is playable. From that point we give feedback and Dean can add more features, new animations etc. We dont need the fancy stuff for the beginning, we just need a game that works. I really dont believe they are 100% working on that. And this is kind of sad (I dont know any other word for it sorry ^^).

Like I said, give us something that runs decent on our computers, we give you feedback and based on that you can add new features.

Edited by Wayze
  • Like 1

The more you think about something, the more its going to drive you crazy.

I'm not even thinking much about the standalone at the moment, I'm taking advantage of the sunny weather in the UK (It's far to bloody hot) and looking forward to the Steam summer sales so when the standalone does come out I'm nice and refreshed.

People need to understand no matter now many times people ask "When is the standalone coming out" its not going to speed up the whole process.

Rocket and the team can take as long as they need to release a stable alpha it doesn't bother me at all.

Keep up the good work forum mods :)

Edited by D3nty
  • Like 7

haven't seen anything in the SA videos that impress me yet... looks worse than the mod imho, who cares about a motorcycle helmet... fix broken mechanics... zombie animations still look retarded

• Like 4

So wait now, does that mean that the release is not coming soon? He told us mid august in worst case scenario.

What I really think, I could be wrong and I like Dean but I really think so, is that he just got the reactions from the E3. People said the animations look bad, the zombies are weird etc. Week after that he started to do motion capturing. Before that he told everyone that the alpha will be JUST something for real hardcore players. I think he changed his opinion and actually wants to release it for everyone even in the alpha. Maybe he is afraid of bad publicity. I don't know, I just hope he did not change the release date.

The release window still stands. This is the first time they've committed to a date since December (even if it's an internal date this time) so I'd expect they would have to be reasonably confident to do that, obviously they won't release if it's not ready though.

If all things go according to plan, then yes. But my point is regardless of anything else if the product hasn't crawled out of pre-alpha (in terms of what it actually is) then it will wait until it does.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1hy7rn/i_want_the_alpha_i_want_the_alpha_to_be_good/caz412z?context=3

The story is that if it took two years to make it right, and that meant drastically reduced sales. We would take two more years.

Luckily, progress is going extremely well. But the fact remains - we go alpha when we meet the requirements of it. Not simply as time passes.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1hy7rn/i_want_the_alpha_i_want_the_alpha_to_be_good/caz3w87?context=3

Edited by SmashT
  • Like 3

i don't get it. it's obvious that they encounter all sorts of bugs, minor to gamebreaking. So they will go alpha as soon as they think these have been dealt with properly. implementing and polishing of stuff can always cause severe bugs/malfunctions from one moment to the next eventually. So it doesn't make sense to pin dean down on a date. as he said, what is important is the state! And if severe, or security-relevant issues emerge from one day to the next they will have to delay, so what?

edit: and dean could have answered my helmet question btw. ...would have been far more important >:(

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

haven't seen anything in the SA videos that impress me yet... looks worse than the mod imho, who cares about a motorcycle helmet... fix broken mechanics... zombie animations still look retarded

More zombies, zombies run indoors, 95% enterable buildings, weapon attachments, customised clothing, massive enterable shipwreck.........

You are hard to impress. How about this?

9qk95h.jpg

• Like 11

You have a bunch of bored teenagers during the summer who would rather complain about not getting their game before school starts than actually going outside and enjoying the already half-over summer.

Time to wake up people, it doesn't get any easier as you get older, when you don't get mandatory 3 month breaks. Stop bitching, and go be doing something productive/entertaining while you wait.

/rant

Edited by UbiquitousBadGuy
  • Like 7

More zombies, zombies run indoors, 95% enterable buildings, weapon attachments, customised clothing, massive enterable shipwreck.........

That can be added into the mod and is totally irrelevant if zombies still hit you through walls and you break your leg through the floor of a building. The fundemental engine flaws that are present in the mod now better be fixed in the SA because or else I'm not buying it. Alpha or not.

You are hard to impress. How about this?

9qk95h.jpg

thank you dear sir...now i have to justify myself to my gf what and why i am looking at such pics...

• Like 3

That can be added into the mod and is totally irrelevant if zombies still hit you through walls and you break your leg through the floor of a building. The fundemental engine flaws that are present in the mod now better be fixed in the SA because or else I'm not buying it. Alpha or not.

That's the whole reason they're making an SA instead of perservering with the mod, to address the fundamental flaws, bugs and security issues. It can't be done with the mod because it's a mod.

Edited by Fraggle

It's great that the development isn't ran on the schedule of impatient people. It's completely understandable that their staff isn't as large as ArmA 3 is and the DayZ team is totally slammed up with work.

So let's just wait up on a great game that'd be a big improvement as a mod.

Lately; the Standalone version is suffering crashes due to mostly the new architecture is what they are fixing/fixed right now. I was impressed by the progress they have made at E3 for it to be considered a 'Pre-Alpha' .. If it takes another year or 2, I could care less just as long as they expand the mod exponentially.

Pro-Tip; Keep yourself busy. It's SUMMER

Edited by TIC321

i have been around for a long time and never say anything but the time has come.the only thing that is putting me off this game is not the time its taking (I hope they take as long as they need) it's

the shit poor community! Why do you think the Devs owe you anything. Most of you are ungrateful shit bags. Go develop your own game if your tied of waiting! Knobs

Edited by nifts
  • Like 4

Thats' the whole reason they;re making an SA instead of perservering with the mod, to address the fundamental flaws and bugs. It can't be done with the mod because it's a mod.

Except the latest videos make it look almost identical to the mod... Even with the zombie through wall thing.

• Like 1

tbh..why does dean even feel obliged to justify the current situation?

Except the latest videos make it look almost identical to the mod... Even with the zombie through wall thing.

And did you listen to the Q&A's too or the commentary? Most of the zombie stuff was out of synch or using place-holders. That's what happens with development builds and it's why most game companies don't allow the public to view them.

Most games at this stage look pretty shit, in fact most pre-alpha games look at lot worse than what we saw at Rezzed or E3.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 2

tbh..why does dean even feel obliged to justify the current situation?

Psst, it's called public relations. If you piss off your future customers then they won't buy your product.

And did you listen to the Q&A's too or the commentary? Most of the zombie stuff was out of synch or using place-holders. That's what happens with development builds and it's why most game companies don;t allow the public to view them.

Unfortunately it makes SA look like a mod, something that was the whole reason why the game did not come out last year. I have heard "its an arma engine bug cannot be fixed" on this forum so many times it's not healthy, so hopefully they can squash these problems before release without it stretching to December.

Edited by intensity