SmashT

E3 Expo - June 2013 - Interviews and Gameplay

yeah i was watching those videos and all i was thinking was "arma 2 dayz mod"

and i get that its alpha and all that, but still, watching the zombies in those videos... they are even WORSE now than in the mod, since they are literally flying through the air all over the place. i understand that that can be fixed but still, the zombies have lost none of their bugginess and its painful to see no progress at all in that regard. i mean they straight up just dont work... at all.

for awhile now ive noticed that the bike helmets get the spotlight all the time. they are cool sure, but not as cool as zombies that arent utterly retarded and laughably buggy.

i appreciate that the structure has been changed to that of an MMO, and that is huge. but still just sooooooo buggy i feel as though its just a result of building it off of arma and it will be that way regardless of the effort the devs put into it.

a million new items and crafting recipes cant make me ignore the crippling buggyness and clumsiness, i wish it could.

not trying to be a downer, just being realistic. and f**k all the fanboys who cant take criticism. i REALLY hope it gets better! only time will tell.

Well, honestly, I think it can ONLY get better. Give them some more time. Developing a game is no easy task. I would be worried if Rocket said "well those zombies are the end product, deal with it", but he clearly stated that they would be a on going thing throughout the development of the alpha, which means at least 6 months/1 year of development.

Concerning the animations, I don't like them. I think it's an horrible idea to have get rid of the transitions between animations, because it was what gave the sense of "weight" and therefore a lot of the immersion came from this. Now everytime you look at your character moving, it feels terribly "gamey", it feels like there's no acceleration in the movements, it feels like an old game like quake or doom, not like a hyperrealistic game wher you have to carefully walk through the environment.

• Like 2

wow, people complainin about alpha not lookin like released product, nice

also there r many things you cant see like mmo structure etc- things like that consumed most of their time i think

Concerning the animations, I don't like them. I think it's an horrible idea to have get rid of the transitions between animations, because it was what gave the sense of "weight" and therefore a lot of the immersion came from this.
I feel precisely the opposite way.

With the handling of ArmA in DayZ, I've always felt disconnection from the character.

The "weight" you mention always felt sluggish, unresponsive and robotic. Not what I want from a high-tension experience.

When a "holy fuck" moment strikes, I want my character to feel flighty and jittery. To me that seems like more natural behaviour.

Giving us the ability to change our minds and react on the fly to instances of unexpected danger is really the way to go.

I'm ok with ArmA handling in ArmA, because it's a more measured, "military" way of doing things. Even then, there are some actions and "follow-through" animations that just bug the crap out of me.

• Like 1

Compared to State of Decay which has been relased already the pre alpha animations of DayZ look pretty awesome.

maybe i will formulate a question how they try to do the transitions between movements.

cool story. bye. dont come back.

EDIT. btw SA has more color than dayz mod. so i really dont know what your going on about.

Mate, he does have some points and this isnt how we talk to others here in these Forums.

• Like 1

rocket and matt if you watching i dont want a reply even just listen please

get someone at e3 who plays dayz and knows whats going off and how to play and is fun.

the video you showed of matt was boring and didnt spark any interest it actually put most people off even buying the standalone i spoken too .

looks like basically you getting less than the free mod and vehicles wont b on release and the stupid knock down animation thats been added is just no .

i love the game / the mod played it since you made it and love it and played alot more than the avg joe (everyday last year ) and if im honest it just doesnt look fun !

video games should be fun foremost. if it isnt fun people will play leave it then fo back to the mod. you may not mind this as you may of been paid i really dont know. please listen to people who have fun in the game and make it priority. so many devs are putting out half assed video games going for the must have this windows 8 box icon this or feel and forgetting the one basic thing fun !

so will be nice to see the next video at e3 but please try and stimulate me no im not gay but you get the drift :lol: .

just remove the zombie take down it doesnt work in te mod or the standalone it is repetitive and who wants to spend there time doing press ups ingame up down up down.

waits inevitable play better blah blah fanboy responses :P

• Like 1

Hello there

Once the SA is released, I do hope folk will realise that its going to be a damn early build and not fully representative of the final/full release and there are many things that will be added/removed/tweaked/balanced/nommed/thought of/forgotten etc etc.

LoK

Nope. As we've already seen with our smallish community, people will not grasp this concept. I like how it's the usual suspects though. It makes reading the thread easier.

your first fanboi response ;):

rocket and matt if you watching i dont want a reply even just listen please

get someone at e3 who plays dayz and knows whats going off and how to play and is fun.

the video you showed of matt was boring and didnt spark any interest it actually put most people off even buying the standalone i spoken too .

looks like basically you getting less than the free mod and vehicles wont b on release and the stupid knock down animation thats been added is just no .

i love the game / the mod played it since you made it and love it and played alot more than the avg joe (everyday last year ) and if im honest it just doesnt look fun !

video games should be fun foremost. if it isnt fun people will play leave it then fo back to the mod. you may not mind this as you may of been paid i really dont know. please listen to people who have fun in the game and make it priority. so many devs are putting out half assed video games going for the must have this windows 8 box icon this or feel and forgetting the one basic thing fun !

so will be nice to see the next video at e3 but please try and stimulate me no im not gay but you get the drift :lol: .

just remove the zombie take down it doesnt work in te mod or the standalone it is repetitive and who wants to spend there time doing press ups ingame up down up down.

please check it out: http://dayzmod.com/f...80#entry1364701

it should give you some reasonable answers to your fears.

is just provocative, i admit only slightly but it is. it implies that your point is the only truth and every counterargument is invalid, because just the fanboiiiizzz goin' nutZZz

edit: ther is a major flaw in your argument regarding the "take down". it wasn't implemented by accident. The idea is to adapt your gameplay to the circumstances. if you cannot run through a horde of zeds now...maybe try better to avoid them. dean and the devs implemented this for a reason. everyone wanted dangerous zeds and they delivered.

Edited by joe_mcentire

As said in the vid that "takedown" animation was only added a few hours before they demo'd the gameplay. It hasn't even been tested, balanced or looked at in any great depth yet. I know I'm going to sound like a broken record but don't assume that what you see in that vid is written in stone. The issue with showing development builds is that many seem to be thinking that it's final when that couldn't be further from the truth. If we're playing in 6 months time and it looks like that I'll be pissed too, the fact is though that EVERYTHING you see in the vid is still being worked on daily.

• Like 3

So... is there a reason Matt was wearing a shirt, or..?

• Like 2

He's saving the REALLY impressive stuff for a private showing.

Deluxe member access only. So I hear.

Hahah, wouldn't even mind the seedy title appearing on my bank statement.

also... inb4 Rhinocrunch makes a video, spewing shite from his mouth.

Edited by mzltv
  • Like 2

I think people had too much high expectations. I really like the new zombie animations compared to both the mod and the early prealpha leaked footage. It's definitely an improvement.

My only worry is with the movement system that lacks all sort of "weight", compared to arma 2 in which you really felt like a person, not only a videogame avatar. I think movements need more acceleration and more transitions in the animations. I really hoped they would go even farther in the simulation aspect of things, but looks like they're going for a more "gamey" aspect, and it saddens me a bit. Running at that speed on crouch mode is totally silly. It's a slow paced game, not your typical "run and gun" type of game. Hope it will change!

Second point in the animation problems, the "civilian" aspect. I don't like how the guy holds the gun. It looks unnatural and forced. Once again, the skeleton is maybe better than Arma 2, but from a design point of view, it looks bad. Arma 2 animations contributed a lot to the immersion, and they should have built on that, improving it without changing the direction completely.

Edited by Bat
  • Like 2

I'm really looking forward to the standalone, i love the new buildings and the artwork.

The only thing i don't like at the moment is that huge crosshair please please please tell me we can change it to something smaller :D

He's saving the REALLY impressive stuff for a private showing.

Deluxe member access only. So I hear.

has anyone read his tweets so far ;)

I do think the character moves too fast. Could just be an illusion though. I'll have to wait to watch the rest of the videos.

Edited by SausageKingofChicago

joe it may seem provoctitive but it is also true you write down a honest comment on my op and you know within minutes someone who is pro dayz no matter right or wrong in thinking will bash what someone says regardless.

i as said was playing the new version of the mod with friends last night straight after it went live within 30 minutes everyone rolled back to earlier patch why ? it wasnt fun !

most gamers havent got 16 hrs to creep round cherno hoping a can of beans may spawn and that they can takea 13 mile round trip to dodge zomies. they want quick fast action without breaking there head on floor by being knocked down by zombies every two seconds.

now before the go play warz is responde :lol:

im not a new player i do very well and our group is the same we go on servers litterally dominate them till we leave. we are a bunch of competitive gamers and we arent new so we know how to paly dayz we just saying it just isnt fun ! so nobody needs to dive in saying go paly warz you noob you cant play dayz blah blah low skill whatever.

we talking about the fun time aspect which doesnt look like it will be fun.

fraggle i understand that the video doesnt show the whole game but thats the whole point as to why i said get someone who is decent fun to play it at the expo matt even says i am not very good at this it hardly enspires confidence in the game if one of the head devs cant even play it properly or oh that bug is erm still there at the biggest convo of the year just before release.

its easy to hate and harder to be positive i know but some simple things devs forget over players is yes it needs to work but look from the players side does that look loads of fun being smashed to floor ? constantly ?

no. making loot more rare more fun ? no.

im going to buy your game regardles but im just saying dont go full retard on trying to make things ultra realistic over fun.

also yes i realize its work in progress and why i mention it now so you can tweak things as saying after you launch and after people say man thats boring or whatever its too late.

dont take negitives as negitives for the sake of it take the criticism work with it.

Edited by dgeesio
  • Like 2

It was nice seeing some game footage. I really liked how simple the UI was, just convenient drag and drop, easy pick up, very nice. Zombie animations are better, but I hope things will be looked at for how the zombies actually attack and to make them not so stupidly fast lol Ease of movement seems alot better to with getting around. All the hours of slow hopping fences, to just get over them fast and realistically is great.

I would agree that player speed seemed abit high in running, but again...Alpha, everything is subject to change lol Nice to see how things are progressing.

• Like 1

now i watched matts footage again. they def. should add

some variety in these zed blows and the consequential tripping/tumbling. the quick'n'dirty "flying 3m back on your arse" is really not to look at. How about weaker impacts for example? i'm confident they will sort things out eventually.

they want quick fast action without breaking there head on floor by being knocked down by zombies every two seconds.

but that is exactly what dean was talking all along, to get that special feeling back.. straight from the very beginnings of the mod. i know you don't want to hear it, but maybe you would have more fun with wasteland from now on (that's why i've chosen the quote above). The changes that were made are not surprising at all, we were pretty much prepared for it by dean (and his blatancy). They wanted to get back "to the roots" and this is more or less what we can expect (besides the fine-tuning and balancing).

The quote above, is just the opposite to i guess everything dean wants in this game.

i cite: "anti-game"

that's why they also said: many will be disappointed!

i'm really sorry because of how many really care about this game and are (going to be) now completely fed up...

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Very Important

Matt forgot to explain the situation with zombie attacks:

Basically, we made a new system for the zombie animation attacks, but there is no event handler for that yet because it just went in this week. We need the event handler to synchronize the animation with its attack effects. Currently, as a placeholder, it simply plays the effect half a second after the animation is started.

The event handler is scheduled to be finished any day now, which will allow us to sequence the attack. It's a very trivial change but will obviously instantly improve the output.

It has nothing to do with hit detection, animations, or anything. It's how it is designed a placeholder.

Because we are rewriting many parts of the engine, problems like this (i.e. known bugs waiting for replacement of placeholder elements) are very common through the development as we wait for the sequence of development to occur.

tl;dr

The zombie attacks aren't sequenced for the animations because its a new system thats 50% coded and waiting for event handlers to allow synchronization, which is trivial to implement once made

Honestly I feel that the UI inventory system is so unbelievably better to play and that's certainly the feedback we got on the show floor. Perhaps it is something that you actually have to experience to get a feel for it. Or maybe it comes down to personal preference.

Zombie stuff I dealt with in a seperate post here, Matt forgot to explain why it is so but it's just waiting on a simple code change... attacks aren't sequenced with effect currently.

Sounds aren't even a consideration now because it is a trivial change and until we have completed changing the zombie behaviour.. required sounds could change a great deal. They won't be recorded until that is completed. All sounds are placeholder per normal development practice. In fact, many pre alpha's I have played didn't even have sound effects for most things.

They are fully clipping through walls (not just hitting through them, although they do that too) and you take damage a good 1-2 seconds before the jumping attack visually hits you.

I explained this was a known bug because we made an entirely new system for attack animations, but we hadn't finished creating the event handler system required. so there is ZERO sequencing between the attack damage and the animation. It plays the animation and then after half a second it does the damage.

I explained this to everyone I demo'd, and the fact that we didn't do an E3 showcase - we just pulled the latest dev build with all its glory, and all it's bugs.

There is much, much polish needed.

But the main aim I had with E3 is to settle once and for all, we're dedicated and focused on fixing and changing what we felt the core fundamental issues were with the mod. That might displease a number of people, in which case they will be put off until such time as we deliver on those issues.

some of the most important statements

source: http://www.reddit.co...ooth_with_matt/

edit: keep Matt away from such events!!! :o :P

There are no socks in game
:o :o :o :facepalm: Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 10

And there we go. That makes me quite happy to hear. That stuff should get put into the OP so people can see it straight up while watching the video.

Edited by Maxgor
  • Like 1

Agreed as someone mentioned Matts Video is just frigging Childish, no offense to him, i'd do the same, bit of Fun. But the whole thing just smacks of amateurs, and deserves so much better.

In another post I asked these questions ( Sorry for those that already read them )

PREVIOUS POST A couple of questions from the Video. Doubt they will be answered by any Devs as its not Twitter or Reddit

- Are all Zombies going to Leap/jump at me now ( sorry im a traditionalist when it comes to Zombie genre, and prefer slow moving or at the very least not Leaping Zombies

- Whats the facination with Motorbike helmets, Matt almost wets himself when he sees one, looks damn stupid. Somebodies wonderful inclusion that has to be shown now on every Video, looks foolish

Watching this Machinima Video and BINGO answered question 2 Rocket loves the frigging stupid Motor Bike Helmets, thinks they are cool and functional. EVER got off your Motocross Bike and ran 150 meters in your Moto Helmet ???? You'd pick the thing off your head and Kick it that far away it wouldnt matter. Not to mention you cant HEAR in one of them. Common Sense one would think.

Most of the map hasn't actually changed at all or very little, that Building that was across from the Supermarket, is still there, man most we know off by heart, in any Town ( Yes agreed we can enter most buildings a BIG Plus ) Most of Chenarus is Identical from the latest build

Matt mentioned that Rocket added the Knock Down just that Day, which is the Build they are using on the Stand. I like it , and like the randomness it is going to have

Machinima Interviewer comments twice at separate times unquote " because we rely on all the Dev blogs you guys do " WELL hello , what ones is he receiving ? Give me a dollar for everyone complaining there isnt enough, after the announcement there was going to be weekly Dev blogs

Most Vehicles are burnt out . HUH and then they have loot in them. Watch any Zombie Movie . 90 % of Vehicles are intact, might not be operational but the whole landscape is not burnt out Vehicles. ONCE again this is more from the Mod ie Arma 2 where the environment is part of a War Zone. We are supposed to be particapaiting in a Zombie Apocalypse that just happened are we not ? If it happened years ago why are there loot laying around as it would have been all gone withing the first few months after the Apocalypse.

Now Rocket tells the Machinima Interviewer, sorry dont know his name, Standard Arma 2/ DayZ Mod Vehicles COULD be in the SA release. WTF ???? ROCKET " Will Space Travel to Mars be able in the SA Release " , " Not in the Initial Release, but something we are looking at "

What I am trying to highlight is how badly the whole process is actually handled. Is it much different to the Mod how things are done regarding communication, no not at all.

The release of DEV Blogs and Videos, NOPE just as badly handled. They were decided they would be Weekly, well that didnt happen, no announcment but they got a Monthly, then when ever. Have been a Total of what 5 ? Yeah sure they arent a right, but dont announce what you arent going to do.

Press releases and Interviews . NOPE all badly handled. Rocket has made a fantastic ( best MOD ) game I like to Play. Clearly in Rockets eyes he has decided Reddit and Twitter are his main forms of communication for the SA. Interesting that he did not show his Face on these Social Mediums when he missed HIS RELEASE DATE of the end of December 2012 for the SA. I'm Glad they didnt and like the direction they decided to take redoing the Engine etc, however he did not answer ONE person for over a Month.

NOW many that know me knows I am a big Supporter of DAYZed , before you Guys with 40 Posts fresh from Warz come a typing, But I am having real trouble from what is being released and how it's released Motivating many from our group and its followers to take up the SA.

The SA has so much potential but get it wrong and it quickly becomes a memory and I dont want that

Edited by YZ250
  • Like 3