rocket

No DevBlog this week but here is some screens

wait a little...

ok there was a complete, fleshed out idea on reddit even with pics but i can't find them at the moment...but here is a thread from August! 2012

http://dayzmod.com/f...to-the-terrain/

which describes the proper method.

Topic in Bohemia forums http://forums.bistud...l=1#post2183129

Transparency with higher quality mid-range textures should do the trick but Bohemia hasn't done anything to this yet :(

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 3

I think rocket already confirmed that there are no plans for Helicopters to be included in the SA. They don't even have vehicles ready for the Alpha release, which is a major disappointment, imho.

Does anyone have confirmation on this? If so, it would be an enourmous letdown.

There's a very good chance there wont be any vehicles at release as they are aiming to completely redo the whole vehicle system, however in an interview today Rocket did say they are considering releasing with the old arma2 vehicles and then changing them at a later date.

I haven't seen anything about whether or not heli's will be in the game.

But remember, the standalone will be released as an alpha, this means that many planned features Will be missing to start with, and those that are in may very well be broken.

• Like 5

There's a very good chance there wont be any vehicles at release as they are aiming to completely redo the whole vehicle system, however in an interview today Rocket did say they are considering releasing with the old arma2 vehicles and then changing them at a later date.

I haven't seen anything about whether or not heli's will be in the game.

But remember, the standalone will be released as an alpha, this means that many planned features Will be missing to start with, and those that are in may very well be broken.

agreed there going to redo driving system, add scavanging and maybe moddable cars?? then they add them possibly over a certain amount of time they will add a few every few weeks

A pleasing interface is the cornerstone for any software. We have to look at it and interact with it for a large portion of the game. I think it's sad to know that WarZ can muster something better over night. It doesn't matter how hard you shill for this game; I'm not the only person complaining on this forum and there are even more complaining on reddit.

It doesn't just look bad, it looks worse than something drawn in MSPaint.

QwUPYhW.jpg

Could it look more aesthetically pleasing? Of course, much more. Am I really concerned about it? Nope...

Then again, I am gonna assume that the reason they aren't focusing on how the UI looks is because they have been busy making sure it is functional...You know, like you would expect a logical development would progress...

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 1

maybe we should keep repeating that AND that everyone who buys alpha at a fairly cheap price, has to contribute to this game. in fact they are at most partly players and first of all testers! spread the word ya'll!

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

i'm no expert but it should be as simple as matching camo textures with land textures shouldnt it? arma 2 land textures seem overly bright in colour and low res, or something.

Also, I havent been keeping up with the devblogs, could someone tell me if there is any info regarding any of the following issues/ideas in SA?

• Weapon Resting - something BI have ignored since forever in the Arma series, much less complex games like RO2 have done this very well, both Arma and Dayz need this.
  • All or nothing Post Processing options - give me bloom please but not DOF and motion blur, currently its all or nothing in Arma.
  • 3rd person view - this needs to go, completely.
  • Proper ballistics - realistic windage/elevation calculation and adjustment for rifles.
  • Tracking - players leave sporadic footprints for a certain distance behind them, blood trails following wounded players.

Cheers.

i'm no expert but it should be as simple as matching camo textures with land textures shouldnt it? arma 2 land textures seem overly bright in colour and low res, or something.

Also, I havent been keeping up with the devblogs, could someone tell me if there is any info regarding any of the following issues/ideas in SA?

• Weapon Resting - something BI have ignored since forever in the Arma series, much less complex games like RO2 have done this very well, both Arma and Dayz need this. YES
  • All or nothing Post Processing options - give me bloom please but not DOF and motion blur, currently its all or nothing in Arma. no idea
  • 3rd person view - this needs to go, completely. nono
  • Proper ballistics - realistic windage/elevation calculation and adjustment for rifles. many good ideas, windage would be even "ready to go" for dayzmod, but no info about SA
  • Tracking - players leave sporadic footprints for a certain distance behind them, blood trails following wounded players. problem: lag, so rather no

Cheers.

• Like 1

Reason why third person mode exists is because it's the closest thing you can get of a 180 degree view. First person only gives you 90 degrees, it's not what we see in real life - which is about 160 degrees.

My only gripe with third person view is that you can peek around corners with it, unnoticed. In other words - your character could be facing the wall completely while you, the player, can see a bit around the edge. I think that's overpowered, especially in a survival mmo/fps.

So weapon resting has been mentioned or confirmed by the devs? excellent if so, always annoyed me that BI even bothered to model bipods that weren't functional.

Guess I'll just have to wait for the alpha to see about the other things... had hoped some of them would have been mentioned.

Reason why third person mode exists is because it's the closest thing you can get of a 180 degree view. First person only gives you 90 degrees, it's not what we see in real life - which is about 160 degrees.

My only gripe with third person view is that you can peek around corners with it, unnoticed. In other words - your character could be facing the wall completely while you, the player, can see a bit around the edge. I think that's overpowered, especially in a survival mmo/fps.

Yeah I realise the limitations of first person view, I just hate the fact you can lay behind a low wall for example completely out of view of anyone that walks by while tracking their every movement, that kinda shit outweighs any positive of having a realistic fov, really breaks PvP gameplay.

Edited by NevilleFknBartos
  • Like 1

I read about the leak... sorry to hear that. Did they find out who did it?

Yeah I realise the limitations of first person view, I just hate the fact you can lay behind a low wall for example completely out of view of anyone that walks by while tracking their every movement, that kinda shit outweighs any positive of having a realistic fov, really breaks PvP gameplay.

That's exactly my problem as well, makes it REALLY easy for experienced campers to get kills, and loot, as a result. Maybe third person view should zoom in closer to the character model when it's obvious that he couldn't possibly see anything from first person(i.e. staring at a wall or a bush).

I realize that would make third person useless in close quarters, but that's good, you shouldn't use third person anywhere but in the open field. First person in CQB all the way.

Edited by TiredMiner
  • Like 2

That's exactly my problem as well, makes it REALLY easy for experienced campers to get kills, and loot, as a result. Maybe third person view should zoom in closer to the character model when it's obvious that he couldn't possibly see anything from first person(i.e. staring at a wall or a bush).

I realize that would make third person useless in close quarters, but that's good, you shouldn't use third person anywhere but in the open field. First person in CQB all the way.

That would be a great solution!

Agreed. I think 3rd person does serve a purpose but the abuse of it such as looking around corners/over walls etc needs to be addressed. In all the posts I've read about it the best solution IMO is to change or restrict the view. There's a few games that do this really well.

I'm really dreading the release of the alpha in a way. So many disillusioned people will expect a final polished product :(

• Like 2

I'm really dreading the release of the alpha in a way. So many disillusioned people will expect a final polished product :(

Yeh, it's gonna be messy. I really hope the devs go out of their way to plaster the information wherever they can and make a clear statement that it is an alpha release, what to expect at first and what to expect in the future. TBH I think whatever they do they're going to get a lot of criticism initially. They've devoted a lot of resources to the server/client architecture to give themselves a solid base to work on but that doesn't add content and it's not something you can show via screenshots so people are already wondering what they've been doing with their time.

I think it'll only be further down the line when they're releasing solid regular content patches that really add to the game that people will realise they're not just polishing a turd, before that though I think they're in for a rough ride.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

So many disillusioned people think its possible to drastically improve (double, triple in quality) software once many users are interacting with it.

Edited by gummy52

Something I noticed in third person. Whilst standing in a small concrete building, I was able to glitch the camera so I could see outside with the doors closed.

I much preferred first person only servers, but the populated ones seemed to either disappear or become persistently near empty pretty quickly.

I think it'll only be further down the line when they're releasing solid regular content patches that really add to the game that people will realise they're not just polishing a turd, before that though I think they're in for a rough ride.

Your better off rolling a turd in jewels and diamonds if you want it to look better. Thats what I do anyway.

Yeah, Minecraft in Alpha didn't look so much different from it's actual release. Sadly, this is not Minecraft, and people don't know what the hell to expect.

Yeh, it's gonna be messy. I really hope the devs go out of their way to plaster the information wherever they can and make a clear statement that it is an alpha release, what to expect at first and what to expect in the future. TBH I think whatever they do they're going to get a lot of criticism initially. They've devoted a lot of resources to the server/client architecture to give themselves a solid base to work on but that doesn't add content and it's not something you can show via screenshots so people are already wondering what they've been doing with their time.

Hello there

It's going to be a flippin nightmare, Frags. Just look at the whinging and misinformed posts about the A3 alpha. I think the average joe doesnt actually understand the meaning of an Aplha. If we have something that's just playable, Ill be happy.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

So many disillusioned people think its possible to drastically improve (double, triple in quality) software once many users are interacting with it.

I think you've become disillusioned with DayZ, I assume you joined this forum because you liked the mod at some point. I don't know if the December 2012 delay broke your heart(hell haseth no furry like a scorned gamer), but you appear to be completely blind to anything positive in any dev updates. I'm pretty convinced you're going to hate the standalone, because you've decided to focus on anything that can distract from your experience and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will enjoy it for what it ends up being, because we're perfectly capable of keeping our expectations in check. We know what we're getting and we're not hung up on irrelevant details.

What most people are waiting for, is to see the differences between the limitations of a mod and a standalone version, where the engine has been redesigned to cater specifically to DayZ's particular needs. We're not expecting a groundbreaking different experience, maybe that's why we can't get outraged by fonts, we just want to see the next step in this experiment. We also know this is a product in constant development, which is why many of us chose to focus on that makes this an unique emotional experience, rather than pretending to be outraged over trivial petty stuff.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 12

Ever heard of minecraft?

• Like 1

Besides the unavoidable epic nerd rage that will ensure on the alpha release, im really looking forward to getting my teeth sunk into it and really seeing what all the hard work from Dean and the team has amounted to.

to be honest, the way the server/client talks will and should be under huge scrutiny in my eyes. Thats the only game breaker for me ATM, everything else i can look past for the time being.

I cant wait for the day that all the bugs/silly issues are stamped out and we just get regular content/feature drops B)

Yes this is groundbreaking shit. Anyone expecting a pristine alpha coated in titty sprinkles needs to realise that BIS will be working on this game for years.

Just shut down the forums/bug trackers down for a week after each release.

• Like 1