mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 15th April Highest one ever

I do not think that we, as consumers, should consider it acceptable for them to sell the game until they've gotten it up to par with the mod. There's simply no reason to believe that Bohemia will deliver the goods after they've turned a profit.

This - is exactly how it shoul be. You like it, you buy it; you don't like it, don't buy it... You have a point there, many companies would do that (sergei), but I for one hope and think BIS is not like that. In case they are like you describe them, I hope you will continue your rambling about SA, that way i can buy it early as alpha, and your rambling will make BIS develop it to beta & full version faster...

Hmmm I also think it would be better to have all basic features included in the first release. Stuff like more items or endgame content like base building etc can be added later on but the basic components should be in right from the start.

just my two cents :)

Am I the only one not seeing anything new here? Things like the following quotes have been stated several times before:

"moving DayZ into a server-client architecture, turing the entire architecture of DayZ into an MMO"

"working on our Radio implementation"

"working their way through the animation backlog"

"creating the interior data required for the AI zombies to pathfind correctly inside buildings"

What is the actual point in writing these devblogs if you have nothing new to say?

It's not, though. It was just an example. Another example would be their new movement animations. I particularly think that movement animations in ArmA 2 are exceptional. Bohemia decided to replace them with ones that are less fluent and less realistic.

It seems like you're saying, "If you don't like it, don't buy it". If you ask me that has become a very trite comment to make in defense of a game.

Not at all. I'm just saying, wait until they add vehicles if they're that important. Realism for movement can depend on the characters background/story and they've said quite a few times that the survivors are not necessarily military trained. The run jump did look a tad silly but I'm waiting to see it in person.

Rocket has replied to a few comments on reddit, giving a bit additional information. Thought I share it here for those who despise reddit ;-)

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1cdvan/highest_dev_blog_ever_give_me_karma/

1) Pen and Paper are confirmed! They are already working. They are persistent on the character, but if put on the ground, they will disappear on server-restart. That will be fixed tough.

2) They purchased a middle-ware-software for radio-communication, so player can create their own radio-stations.

3) he is still alive. Everest is still cold. Air is still thin and he still plans on coming back.

good news I'd say.

(and even if I hate to admit it.. seeing rockets reply (from everest!) in my inbox on reddit this morning kinda made my day. Thx dean :-) )

• Like 5

Am I the only one not seeing anything new here? Things like the following quotes have been stated several times before:

"moving DayZ into a server-client architecture, turing the entire architecture of DayZ into an MMO"

"creating the interior data required for the AI zombies to pathfind correctly inside buildings"

What is the actual point in writing these devblogs if you have nothing new to say?

Some people claimed to want simple updates that said nothing at all. Preathor.. Praethor... your name rings a bell. I could almost swear you were up in arms over not getting a simple "hi" devblog. Forgive me if I mixed you up.

• Like 3

There is new info here. I'm excited to hear about Mauser, M4A1 and new melee in progress.

The whole debate/argument about whether BIS/Dean are following the "correct" development path is becoming a tad circular largely because at this point it's based on speculation and/or whether or not people choose to trust BIS or not based on past actions.

I own a scarily large back-catalogue of games and have been a gamer for 20 years or so now. I can honestly say that the most value for money I've had so far has come directly from the Arma series. Obviously others will play Arma and have the complete opposite experience so really this debate is purely subjective.

This early access model of developing a game is nothing new and has become very popular with both developers and customers alike, there's no scandal here. I currently own around 10 games or so in the alpha stage of development and of those the Arma3 Alpha release is right up at the top (with a couple of others) in terms of what they've delivered at this early stage in terms of both content and playability. To people who are sceptical about whether the DayZ SA devs will follow through on their goals and make the game we hope they will, well, you have a very easy choice to make. You simply wait until the game is complete, read the reviews or watch vids of people playing and then make your decision as to whether it's worth your money or not as with any other game.

As of now it's almost exactly one year since the mod was released and to be getting progress reports of a standalone version of the mod at this point is a very quick turnaround however you look at it. Of course only time will really tell if the devs have made the correct decisions, of course most of us hope they have but at this early stage it really can only be hope. We just have to wait and see. Many of the people frustrated with the wait or speculating that it's a marketing excercise are probably the same people that would complain if it was released too early.

Really, the devs can do nothing about this, they're damned if they do and damned of they don't. The only course of action they can take is to stick to their goals, stay focused and eventually deliver a game that we (the consumer) deem worth it to spend our hard earned money on.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 16

He's talking about what has actually been implemented into the game at this point, not what they're planning on doing.

So where's the birthday cake at? wtf

sTcGBqD.jpg

• Like 9

He said you could put it on the ground and listen for people. That's what I thought he meant.

Ok, so you wen't from "it is confirmed at PAX" to "that is what you thought he meant". That's how people get disappointed.

I like this:

Q: Have they missed their window? When Standalone pops will the interest still be there? I will be the first to say I've loved the game since last summer, but I now haven't played in about a month, and almost feel meh about it, not trying to start anything, im just trying to see if I'm alone in my thinking or if there is something that should be exciting me

A: Maybe, probably yes. But the only people affected by that are me and Bohemia in lost sales. DayZ was arguably at its best with just 50,000 players (about 5000 concurrents). DayZ mod currently has much more than that.

Both myself and bohemia would rather make a good DayZ, even if that affects sales. The decision to not release is really very simple, these things take time. We either take the time to redo this MMO architecture or we face a hackfest on launch day.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 6

i wish rocket was leading arma 3 development aswell. he is fully aware and taking care of all the things that are most annoying/game breaking in the arma engine. and has the balls to extend development to fix them.

Edited by white
  • Like 1

i wish rocket was leading arma 3 development aswell. he is fully aware and taking care of all the things that are most annoying/game breaking in the arma engine. and has the balls to extend development to fix them.

Arma 3 was supposed to come out last summer, so I think the Dev team doesn't need Rockets help delaying the game to make it better.

• Like 1

You know what? What scares me is there have not been any new maps for the Mod for ages!

I am finishing up touches to my mod DayZ Luton Airport.

• Like 4

I swear to God...

If you die on that mountain and the SA is pushed back even more! I'm going to be seriously pissed!

Arma 3 was supposed to come out last summer, so I think the Dev team doesn't need Rockets help delaying the game to make it better.

so what i gather by that is that there is no excuse for the same engine issues/limitations inherited from arma 2, which went ignored before, to still exist. http://feedback.arma...view.php?id=716 / https://dev-heaven.net/issues/59932

Edited by white

I swear to God...

If you die on that mountain and the SA is pushed back even more! I'm going to be seriously pissed!

He has a... gasp! 3.55% Chance of dying!