mattlightfoot

DayZ Developer Blog 15th April Highest one ever

The rest of the dev team is still working hard on the game, so does it really matter if icemoto takes a trip to Everest?

Honestly, I haven't seen a lot of issues in the alpha. I've been playing it, and they've already fixed many crashing issues and othern bugs.

Uh... Are you being serious? I can't even play ARMA III as it is right now.

This - is exactly how it shoul be. You like it, you buy it; you don't like it, don't buy it... You have a point there, many companies would do that (sergei), but I for one hope and think BIS is not like that. In case they are like you describe them, I hope you will continue your rambling about SA, that way i can buy it early as alpha, and your rambling will make BIS develop it to beta & full version faster...

You're logic would be great if there was a way to know whether or not you would "like it" before you bought it. Often with a game you have to purchase and invest time before you make this decision. This is were I see most of these issues coming from. Money doesn't grow on trees, times are tough, and my dollars are hard earned. I've spent nearly a hundred dollars with BIS this year. DayZ mod was worth it, but I'm still on the fence about ARMA III. I really don't like the game where it stands and I'm not sure if it will get better or not. I hope so, otherwise that money is gone. Can I have it back now that I don't like the game? This is what I'm worried about with DayZ. I want to support a great game and purchase the SA alpha release, but I don't know that ARMA III was worth it, so do I wait and see if the game takes off or buy it? It's not as black and white as you make it sound. I've had a lot of fun playing the DayZ mod. It's also been extremely frustrating at times with bugs and blah blah blah. I'm just not as sold as some folks. Especially when there are so many other amazing projects out there to support in initial phases. Edited by DrGonzo
  • Like 1

Uh... Are you being serious? I can't even play ARMA III as it is right now.

I made that comment quite a long time ago. It's probably changed by now.

You're logic would be great if there was a way to know whether or not you would "like it" before you bought it. Often with a game you have to purchase and invest time before you make this decision. This is were I see most of these issues coming from. Money doesn't grow on trees, times are tough, and my dollars are hard earned. I've spent nearly a hundred dollars with BIS this year. DayZ mod was worth it, but I'm still on the fence about ARMA III. I really don't like the game where it stands and I'm not sure if it will get better or not. I hope so, otherwise that money is gone. Can I have it back now that I don't like the game? This is what I'm worried about with DayZ. I want to support a great game and purchase the SA alpha release, but I don't know that ARMA III was worth it, so do I wait and see if the game takes off or buy it? It's not as black and white as you make it sound. I've had a lot of fun playing the DayZ mod. It's also been extremely frustrating at times with bugs and blah blah blah. I'm just not as sold as some folks. Especially when there are so many other amazing projects out there to support in initial phases.

The good thing is that it'll be released at a low price.

Also, in response to your response to Colekern regarding Arma III...it appears that some people can play it where as others can't.

School is over. Now nothing to do but wait for DayZ to come out. EEEEEEExcellent. *evil grin* *finger tip taps*

@ DrGonzo

That is right, thats why I rather buy it cheap at the beginning to see does it have the potential. Not when its 60€ full game and sucks... rather waste the 10-15€ or what ever.

There is problem with this, if the development is warz level it money wasted for sure.

But there is no sure way for gamer, you always have risk to buy shit as you cant test drive it for a while.

But as said minecraft model beats the straight full price model always, as its the SAME with extra option to buy in to the alpha too.

What comes to the arma3, I dont think it has anything to do whit dayz development or success...

Edited by Zeppa
  • Like 1

You're logic would be great if there was a way to know whether or not you would "like it" before you bought it. Often with a game you have to purchase and invest time before you make this decision. This is were I see most of these issues coming from. Money doesn't grow on trees, times are tough, and my dollars are hard earned. I've spent nearly a hundred dollars with BIS this year. DayZ mod was worth it, but I'm still on the fence about ARMA III. I really don't like the game where it stands and I'm not sure if it will get better or not. I hope so, otherwise that money is gone. Can I have it back now that I don't like the game? This is what I'm worried about with DayZ. I want to support a great game and purchase the SA alpha release, but I don't know that ARMA III was worth it, so do I wait and see if the game takes off or buy it? It's not as black and white as you make it sound. I've had a lot of fun playing the DayZ mod. It's also been extremely frustrating at times with bugs and blah blah blah. I'm just not as sold as some folks. Especially when there are so many other amazing projects out there to support in initial phases.

Well, arma3 works for me, and according to steam I've racked 70+ hours on it already, so it was definetly worth the 25€ for me.

I will also spend the +\- 25€ on dayz SA alpha when it comes out, not for the time I will spend on it, but as a reward to the mod i spent hundreds of hours playing for free in the last year. The time i will spend playing it in the future is just a bonus IMO.

It seems to me you want certainty of a good game at a low price, you will not get it; you buy alpha cheap and hope it will be good, or wait untill you are sure it is good and pay full price, whats wrong with that?

I don't know what your financial situation is, but to get 70 hours of fun out of 25€ is a good deal for me... Not to mention the good times ahead with beta, full game, and all the awsome mods that will surface eventually; all that for the price of one steak. The only better deal you can get is in Thailand ;)

Edited by Xul
  • Like 3

I've had over 600hrs from the "free" mod so paying £20 for the Alpha is just a good investment imo.

Edited by DazTroyer

1703 hours here and still going strong.

Think i'm going to in debt with BIS for a while.

I've had over 600hrs from the "free" mod so paying £20 for the Alpha is just a good investment imo.

WarThunder was free. DayZ mod required a purchase to play. I agree with what most people are saying here and I'm sure I will buy DayZ SA Alpha, but it is tiring listening to people continue to call DayZ mod free. I had to purchase ARMA II to play it. Edited by DrGonzo

Even if you consider it a purchase its still a damn good deal.

And dont forget the bonus content, you know... Arma2 and all the other awesome mods associated with it.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 1

Even if you consider it a purchase its still a damn good deal.

And dont forget the bonus content, you know... Arma2 and all the other awesome mods associated with it.

You're right it's the most wonderful free mod ever. I'm so thankful that it was given to me. I only wish I could have been afforded the honor of paying for it. There's nothing wrong with it and it's impossible to even look for flaws in such a holy piece of software. What was I thinking? Thank you for showing me the light oh DayZ prophet.

You also had to purchase a PC to play. It doesn't mean the mod is not free.

True. Let's consider the series of events. Read promotional DayZ material on DayZ mod.com, purchased ARMA II (which I hadn't previously been aware of) as a response. Played DayZ and enjoyed it. Still think it's free?

Its like Rista said: Imagine you are a console gamer. You see an awesome free to play pc game and you decide to build a pc to play it. Once you've done that you realise there is loads more stuff to the pc gaming world than you had previously imagined/been aware of. That is not paying for a free to play game with 800 dollars. I call that something like an investment to more fun with more awesome games. Simplez.

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 1

True. Let's consider the series of events. Read promotional DayZ material on DayZ mod.com, purchased ARMA II (which I hadn't previously been aware of) as a response. Played DayZ and enjoyed it. Still think it's free?

Actually, yes lets consider the series of events: You found out about Dayz: You bought combined operations and recieved combined operations: you then went to the independent page for the mod (or possibly used dayz commander) and proceeded to download and install the independent and free mod for the game that you bought.

Just because you chose to buy a game purely to play a mod, doesnt change the fact that the mod itself was free. You paid for combined operations and you got combined operations and absolutely nothing else: the mod was an independent download, neither developed by bohemia nor sold by them.

I already had ArmA2 when day came out: I had to purchase Operation Arrowhead to play it but then I also played through the campaign. I also played through countless co-op custom missions and played other mods (Namalsk and Wasteland for example).

In the same way that I consider Dayz a free mod, I also consider Namalsk a free mod. They are additions to the core game which I did not have to pay for, therefore they are free.

Seperate the game you bought to play it from the mod you are actually playing.

I had to pay for a Windows 7 operating system DVD the last time I built my PC because I wanted to be able to play the games of my choosing which required windows in order to function...that doesnt mean that all the free games I have since downloaded (games like WingCommander Saga) were not actually free purely because I had to purchase an operating system beforehand.

Arma2 CO is a "requirement" for the mod much the same as an operating system and specific technical benchmarks are requirements for the core game itself.

• Like 3

Actually, yes lets consider the series of events: You found out about Dayz: You bought combined operations and recieved combined operations: you then went to the independent page for the mod (or possibly used dayz commander) and proceeded to download and install the independent and free mod for the game that you bought.

Just because you chose to buy a game purely to play a mod, doesnt change the fact that the mod itself was free. You paid for combined operations and you got combined operations and absolutely nothing else: the mod was an independent download, neither developed by bohemia nor sold by them.

I already had ArmA2 when day came out: I had to purchase Operation Arrowhead to play it but then I also played through the campaign. I also played through countless co-op custom missions and played other mods (Namalsk and Wasteland for example).

In the same way that I consider Dayz a free mod, I also consider Namalsk a free mod. They are additions to the core game which I did not have to pay for, therefore they are free.

Seperate the game you bought to play it from the mod you are actually playing.

I had to pay for a Windows 7 operating system DVD the last time I built my PC because I wanted to be able to play the games of my choosing which required windows in order to function...that doesnt mean that all the free games I have since downloaded (games like WingCommander Saga) were not actually free purely because I had to purchase an operating system beforehand.

Arma2 CO is a "requirement" for the mod much the same as an operating system and specific technical benchmarks are requirements for the core game itself.

This community is getting really weird. You're right man. I guess I should consider myself lucky to be able to play the mod. Even though, I had to pay for it in a roundabout way. I can tell you this much, if it wasn't for DayZ, I would have never heard of Bohemia. Without a stove I couldn't cook food. Doesn't mean I wouldn't eat.

This community is getting really weird. You're right man. I guess I should consider myself lucky to be able to play the mod. Even though, I had to pay for it in a roundabout way. I can tell you this much, if it wasn't for DayZ, I would have never heard of Bohemia. Without a stove I couldn't cook food. Doesn't mean I wouldn't eat.

It really is simple: in the past games came out which I simply could not play. On one occasion it was due to an aging Graphics card. I had to upgrade my graphics card before I could play the game.

You are comparing things which have no business being compared. If you dont have a stove you can still eat foods either raw or which do not require cooking.

IF YOU DONT MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR A PIECE OF SOFTWARE ON A PC YOU CANNOT RUN THAT PIECE OF SOFTWARE!

Edit: that doesnt mean that any upgrades or pieces of software required to meet those minimum requirements somehow magically become the price for the program/game in question...the price of the program/game remains independent of the price of the upgrades. If it is free, it remains free, and if it has a price-tag you still have to pay for it after paying for your upgrades.

This is a basic fact of PC gaming...what is it about that fact that you dont understand?

Further Edit: I won free tickets to a concert once. It was around 60 miles away and I had to pay for my own transport to the event and pay for my own refreshments while I was at it, but it didnt change the fact that the concert itself was free.

Edited by Gmanz

It really is simple: in the past games came out which I simply could not play. On one occasion it was due to an aging Graphics card. I had to upgrade my graphics card before I could play the game.

You are comparing things which have no business being compared. If you dont have a stove you can still eat foods either raw or which do not require cooking.

IF YOU DONT MEET MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR A PIECE OF SOFTWARE ON A PC YOU CANNOT RUN THAT PIECE OF SOFTWARE!

This is a basic fact of PC gaming...what is it about that fact that you dont understand?

Like I said, I feel so lucky to be able to play this amazing FREE mod. I really wish I was able to pay for it somehow. Have a good day. Edited by DrGonzo

Well, I hope a time-limited Lite option will be out for Dayz SA Alpha; like arma3 Lite (what obviously you should have waited for)

In the end, just like with everything else in life, you will have to consider pros and cons before purchase, once you put your $ in, there is no point in complaining

• Like 1

Well, I hope a time-limited Lite option will be out for Dayz SA Alpha; like arma3 Lite (what obviously you should have waited for)

In the end, just like with everything else in life, you will have to consider pros and cons before purchase, once you put your $ in, there is no point in complaining

I agree with everything you've said except I think there's no point complaining until you've put your money in. I really hope I'm not complaining as much as critiquing.

We'll see what happens with ARMA III it may be money well spent, just not sure yet. I've installed the most recent update so I'm going to give it a try again this evening, along with Don't Starve (looks awesome).

I hope the DayZ standalone kicks ass. I'm sure I'll buy the alpha, I really wish I had an idea when it was coming because the mod isn't doing it for me anymore.

• Like 1

Like I said, I feel so lucky to be able to play this amazing FREE mod. I really wish I was able to pay for it somehow. Have a good day.

Ok, let me make this one last point:

A little while back I purchased the additional PMC expansion for Arma2. That is a case of a product which cost me money. A little while back I downloaded and installed the DayZ mod without having to spend one penny on it...that makes it free. Both products require ArmA2 but both are seperate and additional too the purchase of the core game itself.

The mod is free, regardless of what requirements you had to meet before you could make use of it and unless a day comes when you are faced with paying an additional fee AFTER having purchased CO, it will remain free.

Ok, let me make this one last point:

A little while back I purchased the additional PMC expansion for Arma2. That is a case of a product which cost me money. A little while back I downloaded and installed the DayZ mod without having to spend one penny on it...that makes it free. Both products require ArmA2 but both are seperate and additional too the purchase of the core game itself.

The mod is free, regardless of what requirements you had to meet before you could make use of it and unless a day comes when you are faced with paying an additional fee AFTER having purchased CO, it will remain free.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Good luck out there.

I agree with everything you've said except I think there's no point complaining until you've put your money in. I really hope I'm not complaining as much as critiquing.

We'll see what happens with ARMA III it may be money well spent, just not sure yet. I've installed the most recent update so I'm going to give it a try again this evening, along with Don't Starve (looks awesome).

I hope the DayZ standalone kicks ass. I'm sure I'll buy the alpha, I really wish I had an idea when it was coming because the mod isn't doing it for me anymore.

aha, so you are just venting frustration on us ;)

I meant that after you've spent money on it, it will do you no good to complain about it, you will only loose your hair early in life ;)

• Like 1