willey.erd@oundleschool.org.uk

DayZ Alpha won't launch until launched !

I'll be enjoying the summer sun for a few months come June. I probably won't play or buy the game until October. I have to say this is really frustrating. Can they not find good programmers or what?

It's no surprise that it will be released later on, but I expect a great storm of complaints, toys being thrown out of prams, accusations of lies and a Illuminati conspiracy and a general wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Actually, I'm glad that Rocket said something about a targeted release date/area/month and he's not all secretly and uptight about the release for once.

He had me complaining when it was "end of 2012", than "until April 2013" with no statements since 2012. It's to frustrating for me personally to expect the release anytime soon (because Rocket said so sometime) and to be very excited about it all the time when there is no need.

"It's done when it's done" is a good work ethic but "It's done when it's done which isn't before June" is better in my book. I'm just happy when it comes out! :thumbsup:

And thanks to the mod who made a topic out of this Joystiq article! :beans:

Mr Fraggle, divert all power to auxiliary shields. Lieutenant mZLY, give me a damage report and where the hell is the rest of my crew?!

Rear Admiral OrLoK T Tzar

We need more power! SULA! Get to the bridge and take up your position, we can take no chances here.

• Like 3

Well at least they want the game to be at his best before people start to play, avoiding on launch complain and having a good game not like

*Cough* warZ *cough* piece of sh*t....

Edited by Average Pegasus
  • Like 1

Damn. That's means that dayZ alpha, misery 2.0, Lost Alpha mod for SHoC, and maybe even ArmA 3 will all be releasing about the same time.

I guess I have more time to get a better PC.

• Like 1

anyone got a picture of a firework fizzling out after lit ??

i called June as a realistic release date months and months ago simply based on what/how Rocket said/reacted to questions.

if they are now saying June, im gunna say expect December...

but really by then, will anyone care anymore ??

im firmly in the band of people (and it seems to be growing all the time) of people who thinkSA missed its peak window and also beleive Rocket has biten off more then the devs can chew. instead of just releasing what was ready, and adding in all these addon bits down the road.

• Like 1

inb4 "rocket wants to release DayZ as near to the date of World War Z (the movie) as possible.

• Like 1

anyone got a picture of a firework fizzling out after lit ??

i called June as a realistic release date months and months ago simply based on what/how Rocket said/reacted to questions.

if they are now saying June, im gunna say expect December...

but really by then, will anyone care anymore ??

im firmly in the band of people (and it seems to be growing all the time) of people who thinkSA missed its peak window and also beleive Rocket has biten off more then the devs can chew. instead of just releasing what was ready, and adding in all these addon bits down the road.

So following your logic you wanted the SA released before it was conceived to take advantage of the hype? Ok.

Rocket doesn't care about hype, he wants to make the best game he can. Sure, waiting sucks, but be under no illusion that if anything that will build more hype come release (after a few months of crying and boredom, SA is dead ect.).

Even if it were to be released in June that would be a remarkably quick turnaround for the development of a game considering the mod was born less than 1 year ago as we speak.

• Like 1

i was ok with it not going to be released last year, honestly i kinda expected it, but till june (and i bet its still another 1 or 2 months)? thats still like half a year for that im kinda dissapointed...

Edited by Rhygar666

I think that it is much better that they aren't launching until Rocket is back at least. If they launched it right before he left it would have been stupid. Rocket is basically the face of this game and I think that everyone would want him to be around for the launch of a game he initially created.

The only thing suggesting it would be released any earlier than that were rumours based on rumours TBH.

Edited by Fraggle

I would rather have a completed game in June than an incomplete one now. The mod is still plenty of fun, and will keep me going for a while yet. Like others, I expect this to create a good old-fashioned whinge-athon from some quarters, but that seems to be the culture of the internet these days.

Here's to an awesome (and finished!) game arriving before 2014!

Happily be the moaning guy for y'all!!!!

Yes but the thing is, it's going to be released incomplete anyway right? That's what we're being told - that it's going to be a minecraft kind of deal with huge updates being rolled in over time... And he's going on holiday before he's getting the job done? Real. You show me the Professional developer that goes on holiday in the middle/end of game development.

Secondly, just fucking release it already, since you're telling us when you release the game you'll still be adding content to it, why not release it as it is before sodding off to everest. Sorry but this game has been delayed and delayed, with games that have this ammount of delay theres usual an equivelent ammount of epic fail associated. Examples? Duke Nukem forever etc!

• Like 2

June eh, we'll at least that's a target and I presume he may have more info at GDC, but at least guys and gals we can start putting a date in the calendar and THE COUNTDOWN IS ON.

I agree with the whole Everest thing, if it was going to be out before dean left then it would have to be out by now, so I am not surprised. Hopefully this will be game we all know it could be and I didn't realise they were so many ppl working on it. COOL

Yes but the thing is, it's going to be released incomplete anyway right? That's what we're being told - that it's going to be a minecraft kind of deal with huge updates being rolled in over time... And he's going on holiday before he's getting the job done? Real. You show me the Professional developer that goes on holiday in the middle/end of game development.

Secondly, just fucking release it already, since you're telling us when you release the game you'll still be adding content to it, why not release it as it is before sodding off to everest. Sorry but this game has been delayed and delayed, with games that have this ammount of delay theres usual an equivelent ammount of epic fail associated. Examples? Duke Nukem forever etc!

Lol, please don't compare a game that's been in development for a few months to game that took well over a decade to be released. By making that comparison you're just un-doing your own argument.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Dude a trip to Everest not really a holiday and its part of a contract he has so has to go for breaching contract. you have too book a place in advance so it's not like he is popping to Hawaii with matt and skipping along the beach for a month ( picture it ppl). It's kind of once in a lifetime thing and the project will continue without him, under matt an co.

Lol, please don't compare a game that's been in development for a few months to game that took well over a decade to be released. By making that comparison you're just un-doing your own argument.

I'm saying if you fail to miss your expected release dates; its fail. I assume Rocket wants to do this proffessionally right? I mean hes getting fucking paid lol. Let me make another example for you; Peter Jackson is in the middle of filming lord of the rings, but dont worry he's decided to fuck off half way through the movie to climb everest, and he's letting his team get the work done whilst he's there.

It's called making some fucking priorities, this isn't the first time I've heard shit about Rockets personal life getting in the way of development. It's totally unprofessional, and you can bury your head up your ass all you like about it, but if it looks like shit, smells like shit, then its probably going to be shit.

This is compounded by the fact theres nothing really stopping them pushing a release through, since were basically going to be paying for an active beta again and by no means a finish product when it gets fucking released in the first place... so whats the problem? review scores?

Edited by electroban
  • Like 3

Sula, grab my dylithium crystals and hold em tight. They'll need protecting.

As to those grizzling about the release date and it's supposed delay, you have the mod, Arma3 alpha and it's inevitable "dayzalikes".

Folk who wish to bail may do so, the game isnt aimed at you I am afraid.

I would like to see at least another 6 months/year development before a public release so as to be able to implement mind blowing stuff, rather than a tidied up mod. But that's just me and I dont know a lot.

What we need to do is wait and be patient.

Want to move on to a different game? Fine. You'll still be welcome at launch.

Regardless even if the game never came out or indeed did turn into another Duke Nukem, it doesnt affect anyone except the devs.

Lets wait and see.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Does it matter? i doubt SA will be better than DayZ mod is now.

And it will only be one map

@electroban

Sorry feller, but games almost never hit their initial release dates. Bioshock Infinite? Originally intended for January 2012. Over a year late from initial release estimates, still looks like it's gonna be awesome.

One would assume that Rocket's Everest trip wasn't planned last week. It was probably planned months ago,possibly before the whole 'standalone' idea was even around. I, nor anyone else vaguely sane expects him to put his whole damn life on hold because I can't suck it up and wait a month or two for what could very well be a huge, huge game. He is a person first, a game developer second. Remember that.

Edited by Target Practice

@Target Practice

Yes because the ammount of work bioshock infinite must take must fucking dwarf the DayZ standalone. You're also forgetting Bioshock infinite has this huge amount of time in development because it's getting released as what's known as a Finished Product, that will only be supported with slight performance patches.

Standalone is a completely different beast in these respects as its not going to be released as a finished project; at all. Like I said it's like Minecraft/

The only reason why its not getting pushed out as it must still have some serious serious issues with it. Either that or they are afraid of getting trashed on by critics by not being too much of a leap from the Mod and no one will buy it.

But seriously, DayZ is Rockets creation. I wouldn't go up Mount Everest if I knew I had deadlines to make. It sounds like he's demoralised by the game to be honest and he wants out. Sounds like he's not up to it.

Edited by electroban
  • Like 1

Why call it alpha when you have a such huge variety of features and variants, it should go public then...

bad news... snarky mods... could I also get a kick to the groin?

Hosted server will fail. Private servers will prevail. Maybe your seeing as trolling, but it had happened before with dayz mod.

His own naivety has got him in this mess anyway, why even say a release date? Loads of publishers don't, why? Because when you make a promise or give your word on something then renege on it you come across like an idiot.

Edited by electroban