rocket

The Notorious Can Incident

I think the worst thing about this is, they deserve the tiny bit of recognition and as far as immersion goes there are much bigger issues that break it that people find to be understandable.

In China or Japan, lands of novelty, there is likely my little pony foods. There don't exist many people in this world who can rip open tin cans with their bare hands. If it were actually immersion that were the issue, this wouldn't be such a big deal, but that is not the case. It is more likely based on these individuals, than actual immersion breaking.

Edit: And we know the modders priorities? We know this was given special attention or time over other needed things?

Herb, the countless hours they spend on this for free to make sure people can enjoy this game entitles them to some benefits. If people don't like it, they're free to pay for their own development team, server hosting, etc. and do what they will with it.

Edited by Inc0gnit0

This communities overreaction to such a minute detail in the game is not only disappointing but out right embarrassing as well.

Edited by A_Typical_Noob
  • Like 9

This communities overreaction to such a minute detail in the game is not only disappointing but out right embarrassing as well. Some of you guys are completely out of line.

You are embarrassed by people saying they want an object removed from a video game?
  • Like 2

Alright folks, rocket asked for a cease fire, and lets have one. No more flaming, no more he said she said, just stick to the topic and rockets requests and we will all get along just fine

• Like 5

You are embarrassed by people saying they want an object removed from a video game?

No, i'm embarrassed for this community for the way they have responded. That's all I have to say. I will not argue with you.

Edited by A_Typical_Noob
  • Like 6

well it's not so easy that way...it's not about the cans anymore i guess...

• Like 1

I think the worst thing about this is, they deserve the tiny bit of recognition and as far as immersion goes there are much bigger issues that break it that people find to be understandable.

In China or Japan, lands of novelty, there is likely my little pony foods. There don't exist many people in this world who can rip open tin cans with their bare hands. If it were actually immersion that were the issue, this wouldn't be such a big deal, but that is not the case. It is more likely based on these individuals, than actual immersion breaking.

Edit: And we know the modders priorities? We know this was given special attention or time over other needed things?

Herb, the countless hours they spend on this for free to make sure people can enjoy this game entitles them to some benefits. If people don't like it, they're free to pay for their own development team, server hosting, etc. and do what they will with it.

I actually think they did a great job with the latest update, but that's not the issue. My issues are around a lack of prioritisation and an unprofessional approach to communication with the playerbase. You'd have thought that many server admins rolling back to 1.7.4.4 (and many not even migrating to 1.7.5) would have been a dead giveaway that the initial 1.7.6 should be a bugfix and released asap (i.e. not delayed with new content).

The development isn't bad, it's the project management/production that needs work.

• Like 1

I actually think they did a great job with the latest update, but that's not the issue. My issues are around a lack of prioritisation and an unprofessional approach to communication with the playerbase.

Man what are you talking about ? You could say that when the standalone is out and you've put money on it. This is a free mod. They can do what ever they want. But unfortunately(imo), they did not.

And don't even say that i purchased Arma 2 CO to play this mod. That's your problem. Not theirs.

• Like 1

And how do we know it was specifically delayed to add this new content, eh? We don't know their priorities, we don't know exactly how many people are working on what, in any given order. The new content could have been something one guy threw together in a matter of minutes in his, well to be honest it's all their own time. These people don't get paid, they do it because they want to. Any work they do is a blessing. They could all simply up and leave and no further development done, what would you do then? Would you stop playing? No, you'd keep playing, and enjoy it for what it is. The fact that there is progress at all should suffice.

• Like 3

And how do we know it was specifically delayed to add this new content, eh? We don't know their priorities, we don't know exactly how many people are working on what, in any given order. The new content could have been something one guy threw together in a matter of minutes in his, well to be honest it's all their own time. These people don't get paid, they do it because they want to. Any work they do is a blessing. They could all simply up and leave and no further development done, what would you do then? Would you stop playing? No, you'd keep playing, and enjoy it for what it is. The fact that there is progress at all should suffice.

Just typing the names of all the cans into the changelog probably delayed the update by 2 days.........

EDIT: Being serious now, if you want to implement a bug fix update, the last thing you do is add new content as it'll take more testing time to ensure the new features don't introduce new bugs.

Edited by herbster

I think the only can we need is a can of "shut the fuck up" because this is getting out of hand. They make a mod for us FOR FREE. They add in all of this great stuff FOR FREE. They even speak with the community and listen to our bitching and moaning FOR FREE. Everyone needs to stop being so ungrateful. IF you're hating on someone for their nationality or some television show that they watch, you have more problems than just some goddamn cans. So everyone calm their tits, and go crash some helicopters into the cherno hotel or something

• Like 12

IT amazed me, I haven't the slightest problem with the DayZ Mod Team showing some love to the Moderators and DayZ loyal Youtubers/Twitch Streamers, I think they've done a great job and deserve this, IT doesn't change nothing to the mod at all.. hell I eat the product then toss it, the rest of DayZ is still there and hasn't changed my experience. Cans/Drinks names don't make the Mod, it's the immersion that follows after the Can/Drink have been tossed or melted away for scrap metal. :P

By all means, continue clubbing each other to death... however... you have another option. Just saying:

post-199-0-60814700-1361900460_thumb.jpg

and

post-199-0-51092200-1361900468_thumb.jpg

and

post-199-0-70734600-1361900476_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

By all means, continue clubbing each other to death... however... you have another option. Just saying:

post-199-0-60814700-1361900460_thumb.jpg

and

post-199-0-51092200-1361900468_thumb.jpg

and

post-199-0-70734600-1361900476_thumb.jpg

Do you think that the community would be happier if I remade some of the UV Maps to make them more Russian-styled and less to do with actual people's names? I've asked Joey as the models were superb and have started to work on the first.

Do you think that the community would be happier if I remade some of the UV Maps to make them more Russian-styled and less to do with actual people's names? I've asked Joey as the models were superb and have started to work on the first.

I dont think the issue is the cans, per se. It's how these kind of changes get implemented (or not, as the case may be) that is causing the, well, tension.

I think the smart thing to do here is for everyone to chill out, and wait until the key players from all "sides" start a dialogue and the issues get addressed. The cans are just a symptom of a wider issue.

• Like 11

Kind of a shame they were removed, was nice to see more content added. Adds some variety, not sure why people threw a hissy fit over the names.

Although i did see comments like 'spent dev time making those cans instead of fixing long standing bugs' etc. That dissapointed me the most, I thought the changelog for the patch was great. Zombies taking a less zig-zaggy pathing, Z's not being able to randomly hit you from 3 metres away, having quivers for bolts along with quite a few other fixes. Pretty sure that's well spent development time if you ask me.

I thought everyone would've been getting sick of eating beans and pasta by now, a varied diet is a healthy one guys, even if it is unicorn or ponies..or whatever. :D

• Like 3

Thanks Rocketman, we have indeed lost sight of the higher road.

New clothing for next update; Rocket's Sealskin Boots. Reduces noise when walking on pavement.

• Like 1

It's DayZ. The guns, the zombies, the loot system, the clothing, the animations, the environment, the lag, the load times and the hacking are already being worked on. The cans were all that was left to complain about.

• Like 1

I dont think the issue is the cans, per se. It's how these kind of changes get implemented (or not, as the case may be) that is causing the, well, tension.

I think the smart thing to do here is for everyone to chill out, and wait until the key players from all "sides" start a dialogue and the issues get addressed. The cans are just a symptom of a wider issue.

We need to start a forum (the actual meaning not a new website) to find out what the community seems to think is reasonable, what they want prioritized, etc. That seems to be the real issue, what the community wants/needs/is most vocal about compared to what the development team is doing/capable of as well as, perhaps a community representative to relay schedules and the like. What we need a little more of, above all else, is some understanding from the community who is effectively getting something for nothing.

Essentially the point is that there was a disconnect between the communities.

Community ( A ) had a large conversation on a certain update, and decided on performing that update with the consensus of a large portion of that community.

Community ( B ) felt left out of said conversation and decision, and retaliated before understanding all the facts.

Much name calling and poor words were then exchanged. Both parties at large are still arguing over things that no longer really make any sense. The bigger issue in all this is not that a change was made, but that there was a disconnect in communication between the parties.

Since both communities are quite large and are capable of pushing their weight around either way, it is my personal recommendation that the DEV team elicit conversation between both communities in full prior to making a change, whether it be directly within both communities or via a third party site.

Note: I am part of both communities, but have been more a member of ( B ) in the past few months. Needed to say that or else ( B ) will get up in my grill xD

It is funny what people will degrade themselves to arguing about.

"You are a lighter skin tone than me."

"No I'm not."

"Yeah, you are."

"The fucks your problem man?"

"Bitch please, I'll fuck you up"

"Bring it asshole"

*Chaos ensues*

Honestly it has become customary on ANY forum, that when somebody says something, everyone must weigh in with their own opinion. That is when being human beings comes into play.

Best to just ignore, and deal with it maturely. Like Rocket does. #<3

• Like 1

Fair enough, although I'm gonna try anyway. Was really enjoying the update's variety and want to contribute somehow.

I'll make a thread elsewhere as this, as you say, is not exactly the issue we're discussing here.

Edited by Ingasmeeg

It is funny what people will degrade themselves to arguing about.

"You are a lighter skin tone than me."

"No I'm not."

"Yeah, you are."

"The fucks your problem man?"

"Bitch please, I'll fuck you up"

"Bring it asshole"

*Chaos ensues*

Honestly it has become customary on ANY forum, that when somebody says something, everyone must weigh in with their own opinion. That is when being human beings comes into play.

Best to just ignore, and deal with it maturely. Like Rocket does. #<3

As people have noted, a common reaction to early patches was similar:

(I posted this in like July last year:)

Many of the discussions go like this:

Man1: "I hate this new feature"

Man2: "I love this new feature"

Man1: "You're such a fanboy"

Man2: "You're a CoD Kiddie, go back to WoW"

Man1: "Fuck you"

Man2: "I hope you get cancer"

• Like 13

Russian Revolution - 1917