rocket

DayZ Devblog 22nd February 2013

I like how it seems that there will be different zombies with differing injures, that will hopefully effect the speed at which they move. Currently all zombies run at the same speed, if somewhat sporadically, so this change alone could potentially catch you off guard when in game as one undead soul darts at you from around the corner. Time to get swarmed!

Also, the design should be that it is difficult to predict who is a true crawler or a walker crawling at the time. You think you're safe cause you believe it can't chase you, then it jumps up and frightens the white jesus out of you.

Edited by codestargod

Here's to hoping I'm not put into the same category for people who don't like amateur style videos. I think I'm growing out of things like "pew pew" ect..

We are hoping to have the zombies in the game for us for testing purposes in the next few weeks, and that wikll allow us to fully implement for Zombie AOA pathfinding and moving around, the players is a bit longer cause we have to make sure we perfected it and we have to re-record every single animation....

I guess no release before Everest...

I hope we can see some videofootage(maybe these new animations?) of SA at GDC / PAX east next month.

Edited by drouz

God, You and Matt have the greatest damn sense of humor.

I demand moar!

also can i buy a key pls

and holy sh... how old is matt? godammit so damn young and such a badass voice

• Like 3

and holy sh... how old is matt? godammit so damn young and such a badass voice

no alcohol, no smoking, vegetarian and having a lot of sex maybe keeps him so young ^_^

Edited by siew
  • Like 2

I like how it seems that there will be different zombies with differing injures, that will hopefully effect the speed at which they move. Currently all zombies run at the same speed, if somewhat sporadically, so this change alone could potentially catch you off guard when in game as one undead soul darts at you from around the corner. Time to get swarmed!

Imagine a zombie with arms. He runs up to you and... tries to nub you to death.

The Day Z mod experience has grown stale on me, so I anxiously wait for the Standalone. Primarily the performance of high population servers/scripters has ruined the experience. The one thing I took out of this dev blog and the other video blog is that this game doesn't seem anywhere near ready to be released. So... we wait.

The Day Z mod experience has grown stale on me, so I anxiously wait for the Standalone. Primarily the performance of high population servers/scripters has ruined the experience. The one thing I took out of this dev blog and the other video blog is that this game doesn't seem anywhere near ready to be released. So... we wait.

OK, keep your panties on Dorothy, It'll be done when it's done.

Edited by codestargod

Does anyone know if there is any work being done to try and solve the pop-in issues with the Arma 2 engine folliage?

It's not a huge thing, but it can be kind of immersion breaking.

Also, will infected stumble, trip and fall over objects like chairs, tables, fences and player bodies?

And on that note, will collision detection be improved for both players and infected?

I mean, I'm gonna assume that infected won't be able to walk/attack through walls and other solid objects in the SA, so I guess collision detection will be improved, right?

Love Rockets eating Anims... those are gunna look awesome!

Good insight into how much work goes into making DayZ the "game" but boy they look soooooo much further from launch with every update. Patience is a virtue they say, seems we will need it by the bucket load.

• Like 1

Good stuff , the team that plays together stays together :thumbsup:

Just to be aware people, the redoing on zombie animations (and certainly player animations) is not a requirement for release of the initial alpha. So the game release is not delayed because of this.

Things like Zombie AI/pathfinding, server/client architecture, are the reasons for the delay. New Zombie animations will flow in when they are ready

• Like 16

I really enjoyed it. There are a few developers who do a nice hour length inside look and package it with the special addition on release hehe but it's great to see one during development on a high profile title. The technical aspects really interest me.

Just to be aware people, the redoing on zombie animations (and certainly player animations) is not a requirement for release of the initial alpha. So the game release is not delayed because of this.

Things like Zombie AI/pathfinding, server/client architecture, are the reasons for the delay. New Zombie animations will flow in when they are ready

also I guess there are different people working on the anims than on the new weapon models or map improvments for example ;)

Good that they can just flow in. I was thinking this game in Standalone must six months at least away when they are redoing the Zombie animation but I guess it must be a bolt in kind of affair.

I wont be playing this till late this year or early next so I’m just happy with updates. I have noticed a fair few streamers that did stream a lot of DayZ have moved on to other stuff. The game really does need an injection to ramp up interest in this that I fear is waning a bit.

Looking forward when the lads can stream more than twenty minutes before they get hacked.

No matter how much time we have to wait, we'll have our almost hackerless servers. I can't wait to actually be able to call a server home. It's about time we can go to cherno without everyone dying within a certain radius. :D

No matter how much time we have to wait, we'll have our almost hackerless servers. I can't wait to actually be able to call a server home. It's about time we can go to Cherno without everyone dying within a certain radius. :D

DayZ Standalone's sales are going to be topping the charts, and there still is a pretty big majority of players in DayZ who KoS. I'd imagine there will be a lot of people dying in a certain radius of Cherno.

DayZ Standalone's sales are going to be topping the charts, and there still is a pretty big majority of players in DayZ who KoS. I'd imagine there will be a lot of people dying in a certain radius of Cherno.

If the game is difficult enough (almost hopeless for even exerienced players) the amount of KoS will obviously decrease. Imagine having only 5 rounds for your crappy Makarov when you have to decide whether to kill an unarmed stranger and get a shitload of zombies after you or try to co-operate for a while or at least avoid a conflict.

That's just my dream, though... :D