rocket

DayZ Devblog 22nd February 2013

I have a feeling a LOT of meme's are going to be made from this video

cutting.png

• Like 10

Looks like they're having a right laugh :) Need to couple the animations with some decent sound now.

On that note they really need to redo the gunshot sounds as well, they sound unbelievably flat, quiet and lifeless in Arma II and in the mod. The J.S.R.S. mod for Arma II has it pretty spot on - you want gunshots to be really rather loud, and carry some distance as well.

• Like 1

On that note they really need to redo the gunshot sounds as well, they sound unbelievably flat, quiet and lifeless in Arma II and in the mod. The J.S.R.S. mod for Arma II has it pretty spot on - you want gunshots to be really rather loud, and carry some distance as well.

This is true, but commercial project must either record all samples itself or pay for the rights to use them. Sound mods can use samples from films/YT and edit them from there as it is a mod project and doesn't have to worry about IP in the same way as commercial entity.

But yes, sound engine upgrade would be welcome. DIstance sounds/echo and indoor reverb only help to add to the atmosphere.

• Like 1

Will there be facial animations for players and zombies? Nothing over the top but maybe a few things to make the experience really feel right. For example when a zombie spots a player it would bare its teeth and charge. For the players a good example is when the player is winded from running his mouth would be slightly open as he gasps for air. Another good idea is stagger stepping when winded so that every player doesn't look like a robot after running 5 miles. Can't wait to see the player MOCAP. Hope they make a dev blog for it as well.

Finally registered here after 10 months of reading! :)

Awesome video Dean, it's fun to watch some behind the scenes stuff!

• Like 1

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

and fuck any haters, you're doing this thing legit.

I've not watched the video yet, but I'm going to go ahead and assume that you've literally nil to base that on.

When they say that major features are still in the earliest iteration and some crucial parts have not even been worked on and not just in this video but in every update what

release date should a reasonable person assume, April? Examples are animations, implementing new skeleton, zombie ai and path-finding weapon attachment system, inventory, vehicle modding and so on. My gut feeling for release date is next US holiday season.

This is true, but commercial project must either record all samples itself or pay for the rights to use them. Sound mods can use samples from films/YT and edit them from there as it is a mod project and doesn't have to worry about IP in the same way as commercial entity.

But yes, sound engine upgrade would be welcome. DIstance sounds/echo and indoor reverb only help to add to the atmosphere.

There's a very cool video somewhere on YT of the Arma 3 devs going to great lengths to record many types of sounds including gunfire for their latest game.

I'm sure the DayZ team will either have access to this sound library or the same level of detail will be applied to their project. I'm sure the devs will correct me if I'm wrong but this sort of attention to detail is something BIS are well known for and it doesn't worry me at all that these things won't be looked at by a pro audio engineer.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Yes that's quite an interesting little vid. Some of the sounds have been around for years (the irritating GBU explosion in Arma 2 springs to mind) so it will be good to get a fresh sound library to work with.

I hope they'll do more to differentiate between the guns though. ATM, the DMR and SVD share a common sound for example. I'd like to see individual sounds for the guns respectively.

As for how they mix it, that's really subjective to the listener. I recall the devs for Arma 2 mentioned they mixed everything so if it's loud, then it comes alive. I don't really get to crank up the volume though, so a lot of guns sound flat or crackly at low volume (AK-74 springs to mind).

I just hope it's balanced, mixed well and sounds meaty. I've done some mixing before in my heyday (studio recordings) so looking forward to checking it out.

Edited by Horde

cant find the song that is playing at first, can someone please help me out with the name?

• Like 1

Did I overhear during the video that you implimented some kind of interruptions to the animations, like being shot while an animation was going on? If so, that would be an exciting development.

When I saw this vid a while ago, I was surprised at how deep Rocket is going just to ensure DayZ will give us the entertainment that we want. I want to salute Sir Rocket for all this hardwork he is putting on DayZ and to all his staff too!

• Like 1

Alright was I the only one who got freaked out by the animations? I literally shit bricks when they did the biting thing.

Fuck that's without the creepy ass zombie skins so I am going to be back to cowering in a corner like my first few days.

Really awesome video Rocket, it's gonna be amazing to see all these new animations in game.

You really have to get someone who knows how to use a god damn camera to do your videos! Oh and learn how to focus!

Shit i'll go out there and do it for you if you want me to!

You really have to get someone who knows how to use a god damn camera to do your videos! Oh and learn how to focus!

No he don't have to, its nice as it is!

• Like 1

i'll do the defecation - i'll train that 1 hour every day in my work

i am concerned about that defecation-thing. really this will be implemented?

Edited by joe_mcentire

Awesome video...but DayZ SA is seeming more and more like a hazy vision off in the distance...I get that it will be worth the wait, but I have never been a very patient person... :P

No he don't have to, its nice as it is!

"Yes because showing a piss poor video with out of focus, out of shot elements really doesnt show poor attention to detail. Poor attention to detail that could be carried across to other things that 'are not important' "

Everything is important to sell a package, it shows how much they care about getting the word out. If they had a proper video, time spent putting together a real video blog then it would set them apart and thats something that is massive in this day and age.

"Yes because showing a piss poor video with out of focus, out of shot elements really doesnt show poor attention to detail. Poor attention to detail that could be carried across to other things that 'are not important' "

Everything is important to sell a package, it shows how much they care about getting the word out. If they had a proper video, time spent putting together a real video blog then it would set them apart and thats something that is massive in this day and age.

I think most people seem to be enjoying the fact so far that this is quite a low budget personal view of the guys at work not a over polished AAA load of balls that we usually get treated to by the big game companies.

• Like 14