GrassyKnoll

New Update Makes DayZ Extremely Difficult

Okay, so we all know that a new DayZ update was released. This update added a lot more features and makes this game a lot more difficult.

I have provided a list of all the things that are ridiculous. There are good things that this update has, but let's start with the bad things.

Note: This is just my personal opinion, and I am entitled to it. I am simply just making suggestions about the 1.7.5.1 update. You should not be sending me hate mail or flaming in the posts.

Bad Things

1. First of all, zombies now spawn while you are inside vehicles. This is a complete pain in the behind. They are able to hit you while you are in the car, somehow through the glass, and can rip you from your vehicle. Yes, even when the glass is not broken, the zombies still hit you and make you bleed. (Possible glitch.)

2. Zombies spawn in an endless onslaught. They just keep spawning. One may find it more difficult to loot recycle barracks, let alone find a gun now. At barracks, if you kill the 5-6 zombies that spawn, 5-6 more will spawn. (Possible coding error.)

3. Zombies can now communicate to each other. Now, once you are done dealing with one zombie, fifty more zombies will come after you. They will not stop chasing you, and you will pick more up along the way. I believe that this is one of the more ridiculous things that this update has to offer. Friends are just joining the party, as someone in this thread said.

4. The visibility and hearing of zombies is unbelievable, they ARE undead apparently alive, but infected, aren't they? Zombies seem like they have hearing aids and binoculars. Also, crouching past zombies does not work anymore. If I crouch with a ghillie suit on, I have a four bars next to the eye, which determine how easy it is for zombies to detect me. (Need to work on my ninja skills more I guess.)

5. Gone are the days where if you had 10 zombies behind you, you could go into a bush and lose them. Now, you can not play hide and seek with them. They will follow you wherever you go, and you can not lose the zombies. (Running into buildings can lose zombies.)

6. Blood bags can give infections. This is just making it really hard to gain blood. If someone is in need of blood disparately, a hero might come along, give a blood transfusion, and infect the other person. This is only minor, but I still think it should be abolished. (Thanks Elvaron for clearing this up.)

7. The combat timer is insane! Put the old combat timer back in.

- Run into a tree with a vehicle, combat timer.

- Can't log-out next to your buddies, you have to be ten steps away.

- The new combat timer's time is just absurd. If you go to escape menu and it says log-out in 30 seconds, it will take about 80 seconds for it to count down to zero.

8. Peripheral dots were removed. These dots were really helpful to see zombies and potential vehicles coming. They should be put back in, but only for zombies.

Good Things

1. New vehicles were added, a HMMWV, and a MH6J. I like that they still haven't forgotten about the vehicles. I think that the HMMWV should have a machine gun on the top of it, but that is my personal opinion. I also like the MH6J, a pitch black little bird. It is great for stealth night operations, and it will be undetectable during the night for people without night vision goggles.

2. Increased backpack sizes. A lot of the backpacks increased capacity, and new backpacks were added, including the British Assault Pack.

3. There were new guns added, including G36C variants and the Sa58 variants.

4. Bacon was added. Enough said.

5. Log-in process greatly improved. The log-in time is now shorter than what it was.

6. Debug monitor was added, you can see it by pressing Scroll Lock.

7. Ability to flip ATVs back on their wheels. They still can not go over bridges, but now you can flip them back on their wheels (Before they come down and blow up, that is.)

Recap:

- Zombies should be "nerfed have their spawn code fixed..

- Reduce amount of zombies and their spawn times.

- They shouldn't be able to hit you through the car windows if they are not broken. They must break the windows first.

- Decrease combat timer time. Pretty soon you won't even be able to close the game if the combat timer keeps getting updated.

- Add peripherals back into the game. (Only peripherals for zombies)

- Good job with the new weapons and vehicles. Keep adding more!

- I like the new foods and how you have to boil/cook them.

- Its nice that you can "unflip" ATVs.

Please put your suggestions and comments as a reply. I would love to hear from you. Hopefully I am not the only one that disagrees with this update.

Edited by GrassyKnoll
  • Like 9

IMHO all the "ridiculous" things you mentioned are what makes the game better and more realistic to me. A harder game is a better game because the rewards are much better

• Like 13

I'm not going into huge detail on what I agree, and disagree on (1. I'm on my phone, 2. I haven't played the new patch yet), but from what I've heard with spawn times, it's kind of ridiculous.

Just remember this is a bunch of new things added to the mod. It can be very buggy for a while.

Ive stopped playing DayZ. Not because of this update. But because of how difficult it is to survive and then you just get hacked and die anyway. Its nice to see they have done nothing about the cheating in the game and just made it more difficult to survive. More of the bad if you ask me.

• Like 1

Went on for a couple of hours tonight. I like it and agree, the zeds are much more of a threat, that's how it should be.

• Like 1

Ive stopped playing DayZ. Not because of this update. But because of how difficult it is to survive and then you just get hacked and die anyway. Its nice to see they have done nothing about the cheating in the game and just made it more difficult to survive. More of the bad if you ask me.

yet another whinger who has no idea what they're talking about.

you're proposing a rewrite of the entire engine? because, short of that, they're doing much of what they can.

IT IS MEANT TO BE DIFFICULT TO SURVIVE!

Edited by Dankine

you're proposing a rewrite of the entire engine? because, short of that, they're doing much of what they can.

You are correct, it is meant to be difficult.

However, zombie spawn times are out of hand, which is my biggest problem.

• Like 1

I can pretty much handle anything except for the masses of zombies that spawn, and the superhearing and supervision they have is crazy.. :(

I just hope you can fix at least that zombies can't go trough stuff like fences, doors.. OP.

I can pretty much handle anything except for the masses of zombies that spawn, and the superhearing and supervision they have is crazy.. :(

I just hope you can fix at least that zombies can't go trough stuff like fences, doors.. OP.

They also need to fix that they can hit you through the walls in the barracks.

The only problem i have with the update is the logout timer when you are clear and want to log out for the night.

Why shouldn't zombies spawn when you are in a vehicle? Why wouldn't they smash the glass in an attempt to get you?

The zombie communication is such that if one zombie sees that another zombie is chasing prey why wouldn't he join in the fun? The days of aggroing 1 lone zombie who just happened to see you are over - he now brings friends.

Actually, the more i look at your Bad Things list the more i realise you don't want a survival game - you want a game where you aren't inconvenienced as you loot stuff.

It's the apocalypse and the zombies want your ass - deal with it.

• Like 9

Good to know a lot of people notice that its no longer difficult but only annoying like it is, its just impossible to sneak into anywhere unless you are down on the ground.

My suggestion for zombies AI is for them to be able to spot players moving slowly crouched only under 10-15 meters.

Another suggestion I would give is to have an animation for zombies when they notice something, so zombies first detect something, and perform animation, for example chimpanzeds would raise their head and look around, and a second later if player is still visible or heard by him it would spot and aggro the player, this method would give players some feedback of what is happening around them and a very small window of time to stop what they are doing. OF COURSE that his would only apply if its not something very loud like a gunshot nearby, or a player that just walks in front of them, in this situations they would aggro immediately.

Zombies when lose sight on players should continue running towards the last place they seen it, if then they don't see or hear the player they would just continue alerted and would choose a random location to run, this random location is defined by a 180 degree radius being that the center of it is defined by the direction the zombie last seen the player and the place he was where he last saw him, this would make zombies hard to lose since they would continue running around, but wouldn't feel like they have gps on players which is to say the least, completely ridiculous. This would give a much better immersion to the chase since the player would struggle to dodge and hide while the crazy zombies are running around searching for him. After a short time they would resume their mindless wandering.

The zombie communication is also a very silly thing, it just makes it even more impossible to deal with them.

• Like 2

I agree, the zombies should be a tad bit nerf'd, but nothing like what you said.

It's an apocalyptic survival game, not CoD zombies.

It's not meant to be easy, it's supposed to be hard.

Amen.

Quick question, my laptop doesn't have scroll lock so is there any other way to bring up my debug?

Number 4 in your "bad" list is the only reasonable one, the rest are just you complaining that they fixed some bugs and added realism to a zombie survival game.

Number 4 in your "bad" list is the only reasonable one, the rest are just you complaining that they fixed some bugs and added realism to a zombie survival game.

Nah, number 2 is also a valid remark, but we all know that's not gonna get fixed in a satisfying manner pre-SA.

Nah, number 2 is also a valid remark, but we all know that's not gonna get fixed in a satisfying manner pre-SA.

If there are no zombies, there is no DayZ. There's CoDZ or DeathmatchZ, but I didn't download DayZ for that. Infinite zombies makes the game what it is and seeing that Chernaraus has three big ports plus a small one, they probably have a high population (although the housing isn't there).

The only thing I can agree on are the spawn times. If you clear an area of Zombies, and turn around, and they all re-spawn right away... Doesn't that seem a little stupid?

I think that the entire point of this patch is to completely avoid zombies.

The trick with the zombies is to not shoot them all and just sneak past them.

• Like 2