GrassyKnoll

New Update Makes DayZ Extremely Difficult

If you think this is difficult now you wont be playing standalone because it will be even more difficult lol.

Yeah, I heard every Zombie encounter is going to be like fighting the main boss in any typical game. Constantly dying, they take massive amounts of damage and requires 10 friends to take down just one zombie.

(sarcasm)

Day Z is unforgiving, not difficult.

I have been playing DayZ now for about 4 months, and following the new update (1.7.5.1) have encountered a problem with the new feature of boiling water. I made a campfire, but the option to boil water does not come on the scroll menu to the

left of my screen. I had a canteen of water attempting to boil it. Anyone have the same problem or a solution? Thanks!

Edited by Mr.Shemagh

I have been playing DayZ now for about 4 months, and following the new update (1.7.5.1) have encountered a problem with the new feature of boiling water. I made a campfire, but the option to boil water does not come on the scroll menu to the

left of my screen. I had a canteen of water attempting to boil it. Anyone have the same problem or a solution? Thanks!

Had an empty tin can to boil the water in? Plastic water bottles dont deal well with open heat ;)

You need to have an empty tin can/soda can in your inventory, along with a full water bottle and a fire obviously. So it seems all you're missing is a can.

The only thing, aside from bugs, that I think makes the game too difficult at the moment is the fact that zombies re-spawn instantly, even if a player is right next to the spawn.

Not only does this make the game hard, but its also stupid & breaks immersion.

This is the only issue. I'm fairly new to the game and I heard that this patch made it super tough so I crept and crawled for a good long while after it got implemented, but then i realized that it wasn't very difficult to lose agro. Dodge and weave in bushes and line of site around structures. But the RESPAWN timer needs adjustment. The never ending swarm of zeds is immersion breaking and makes you feel like you can not control the situation at all. There needs to be a SET NUMBER of zeds in a settlement, not "gamey" insta spawns.

Edited by Droidlife

The new patch is ace.

I mean, the combat roll is a little strange, but that's entirely forgiveable. And the rabbit-meat giving more health feels a little "gamey" (see what I did there?), but the reasoning is totally understandable.

Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't have to play :P

I'm glad we're getting more "survivalist" as time goes on.

RE: Zombie spawns. I understand there must be some limitations that the layman like me can't see. But insta-spawning Zeds is still kind of a disappointment.

You can't win 'em all, eh?

What I think would be genuinely fun game balance with the zeds is if they congregated around towns and cities, yeah, and when you approached from afar you could pick them off and thin out their numbers with a rifle. (I want to use my weapon. It's fun to shoot weapons! Piew piew!) If you didnt have that you would be forced to go in closer and use a hand gun or some other type of weapon. Even closer; hand to hand with a hatchet or whatever weapon you've got. Or you would have to stealth in if you we're fresh off the beach.

Aggro from gun shots should be fairly low, but the zombies should be many more then they are nowm but a set number and no spawning. Gun shots would still ring out across the landscape, and maybey they would "agitate" the infected but they shouldnt home in on you and make a b-line straight away. The main risk with firing a gun would be that you could potentially be heard by other playhers.

Edited by Droidlife

I don't know why the more difficult zombies is such a big deal.

It makes them "scary" again. The first time I played the game I remember that sketchy feeling of "fear" when I would hear, see, or start to get chased by a zombie. After a couple weeks that feeling was gone. But now that they're harder it brings that feeling back. It makes me fear being spotted or heard.

My PERSONAL opinion: ...Sack the fuck up and quit bitching. Starting to sound like the Call of Duty community around here.

its been my experience that people who attack other people for voicing their concern over certain features in a game actually agrees with them to a certain point but wont say it themselves in fear of being perceived as a whiner. in case you didnt know there is a suggestion subforum, not this one though, wich means the devs do want input from the community, and that includes constructive criticism and ideas for new features. but yes, something like "zombie bad!" or "me not like that!" hardly qualifies as constructive criticism you seem to be under the impression that people who raises concern over a feature with an argument as to why they think it should be altered/removed are the same as people who drop a one line whine with a threat/promise to quit playing

Just rip a multitude of gear item ideas from "tactical" sites on the net and put stats on them. Easy. People LOVE that type of gear masturbation. Rocket I know you like Jagged Alliance. Gear, gear, GEEAAAARRRRR! "Tons of guns" game mode option! ;D

Edited by Droidlife

yet another whinger who has no idea what they're talking about.

you're proposing a rewrite of the entire engine? because, short of that, they're doing much of what they can.

IT IS MEANT TO BE DIFFICULT TO SURVIVE!

I suggest you try to replace all zombies with bloodsuckers in Namalsk, or you can go to play warz

Difficulty largely caused by glitches does make a game better. Zombies being tougher, but still being able to walk through doors and walls really makes some of you people get a "realism" hard on?

Increased zombie sight and audible range and improved AI for "horde" mentality = increased need to remain stealthy. This is forcing a playstyle, which Rocket has claimed he didn't want. But worse is this correlation:

Increased stealthy gameplay = slower movement = increased ability for bandits with bad aim to shoot scavenging players, among other various PvP correlations. You'll see a rise in murders on populated servers, but only in coastal cities, where you don't need any rise in murders since they are out of hand already. Purpose of the buff defeated, increased PvP strength and decreased zombie survival results, though the players do fear zombie hordes more, but for all the wrong reasons.

Zombie "instant" respawn = impossible zombie hordes which expand almost exponentially. Kill one zombie, attract 3 more. Kill 3, attract 10. Kill those 10, they all respawn plus any in 80 meters of those and 80 meters of those and ad infinitum, all aggro because one aggros and they can spawn as the code pleases. Doesn't this slow down already taxed DayZ servers? More zombies = less FPS = even more trouble with PvP. FPS doesn't matter quite as much when shooting a zombie that can't shoot back, but if all the zombie load in Cherno and Elektro from instant respawning zombies slows me down in a 2v4 PvP battle in the middle of the forest in BFE near Zell then your system is terribly flawed since I did nothing to spawn those zombies but I am being punished for them with server bogdown and thus FPS load.

I applaud making things tougher on the zombie side, but I say take out the instantly respawning zombie horde and some of the secondary aggro from zombies that didn't even see or hear you, just another running zombie. Add improvements on grass render distance to help protect players (marginally, yes) against PvP at a distance (which most banditry along the coast is) while you're prone and crouched, which will get used more with tougher zombies. Fix the zombie walls hacks which remain from day one development.

And most of all, find a way to fix scripting. No anti-hack program should let a script through that can control my character and force them to do the "Gangnam Style" dance, something which wasn't even created when Arma2 was coded. Obviously the script must be fairly large, and thus the data stream being appended to the client-to-server stream must be large, so why can't something as simple as checksums or an expected sum return bandwidth or any number of other coding solutions nix this problem?

its been my experience that people who attack other people for voicing their concern over certain features in a game actually agrees with them to a certain point but wont say it themselves in fear of being perceived as a whiner. in case you didnt know there is a suggestion subforum, not this one though, wich means the devs do want input from the community, and that includes constructive criticism and ideas for new features. but yes, something like "zombie bad!" or "me not like that!" hardly qualifies as constructive criticism you seem to be under the impression that people who raises concern over a feature with an argument as to why they think it should be altered/removed are the same as people who drop a one line whine with a threat/promise to quit playing

No, no, no.

Ever since the patch rolled out there has been thread after thread after thread of the same whining and bitching.

None of which can come up with a good reason to complain other then "It's too hard, I can't win anymore..."

The only reason so far that I hear of the complaining is because people can't easily get around to loot anymore.

They're mad because it actually takes time, and tactics to get anywhere now.

They want it to be so easy that they can just walk right past zombies, right into a building, loot everything, and walk out like there's no tomorrow... Instead of actually methodically playing the game with survival tactics and common sense, like it's meant to be played.

You only read one post of mine, out of possibly 20-30 post's of intellectual conversation and reasonable arguments.

So you took the time out of your day to perform a mini psychological diagnoses on me.

...that's cute.

Edited by Naz187

The only thing they really need to fix is the instant-respawning zombies.

You should be able to clear an area by force for a while and loot in relative safety.

I was on a hill providing cover for my friend who was working his way into a factory, and when he would shoot one zombie in front of him with his MP5SD I could see the zombie instantly respawn less than 50ft away.

Edited by Brofessional

The only thing they really need to fix is the instant-respawning zombies.

You should be able to clear an area by force for a while and loot in relative safety.

It's fixed in the new version, coming hopefully soon ;)

No, no, no.

Ever since the patch rolled out there has been thread after thread after thread of the same whining and bitching.

None of which can come up with a good reason to complain other then "It's too hard, I can't win anymore..."

The only reason so far that I hear of the complaining is because people can't easily get around to loot anymore.

They're mad because it actually takes time, and tactics to get anywhere now.

They want it to be so easy that they can just walk right past zombies, right into a building, loot everything, and walk out like there's no tomorrow... Instead of actually methodically playing the game with survival tactics and common sense, like it's meant to be played.

You only read one post of mine, out of possibly 20-30 post's of intellectual conversation and reasonable arguments.

So you took the time out of your day to perform a mini psychological diagnoses on me.

...that's cute.

Sorry, there has been discussions on several features that do not make sense. Also, the patch doesn't make you do anything you just said above. I can still run into a house, loot, and go out and on my merry way. I can still shoot a player with a Lee Enfield from a rooftop, and escape unscathed. I can still run through NWAF and loot it in under ten minutes.

No where on the mainpage description do I see "Must be stealthy... Take 30 minutes looting a building that only has 2 spawn points." If you've played this game long enough, you know how the game mechanics work and how to defeat them. That will happen in ANY game. If you're one of those people who try to play the game "realistically" like obeying speed limits, driving on the proper side of the road, insert something quirky... Then that is fine, but understand no one person is going to play the same way you do and this game is an open world sandbox meaning they can play it however they want.

The standalone will require some learning for sure as we adapt to the changes, but after a few weeks people will know what type of buildings to go into for what they want or where to look, etc.

It's fixed in the new version, coming hopefully soon ;)

Did they fix the windscreen damage leaks fuel in helicopters problem? Beginning to think that is a "design feature" instead of a problem.

Did they fix the windscreen damage leaks fuel in helicopters problem? Beginning to think that is a "design feature" instead of a problem.

No, that one is part of a bigger problem. The entire vehicle system needs a little bit of clean-up and the leaking helis will be fixed along with that. I was told it's next on the agenda, though.

But since I'm not involved anymore than a few minutes of helping test a hotfix, I wouldn't be able to tell you whether they plan to release .2 right away or wait until other things are fixed, too.

All I can say is it played a lot better than .1, while still being difficult - we died numerous times :D

Edited by Elvaron

Sorry, there has been discussions on several features that do not make sense. Also, the patch doesn't make you do anything you just said above. I can still run into a house, loot, and go out and on my merry way. I can still shoot a player with a Lee Enfield from a rooftop, and escape unscathed. I can still run through NWAF and loot it in under ten minutes.

No where on the mainpage description do I see "Must be stealthy... Take 30 minutes looting a building that only has 2 spawn points." If you've played this game long enough, you know how the game mechanics work and how to defeat them. That will happen in ANY game. If you're one of those people who try to play the game "realistically" like obeying speed limits, driving on the proper side of the road, insert something quirky... Then that is fine, but understand no one person is going to play the same way you do and this game is an open world sandbox meaning they can play it however they want.

The standalone will require some learning for sure as we adapt to the changes, but after a few weeks people will know what type of buildings to go into for what they want or where to look, etc.

There's always going to be two distinctive groups of players, the casual player, and the "hardcore" player.

There's people who play it to fuck around and kill time, and then there is those who play it and get really into.

But that's not to say that the people who play it for fun aren't hardcore players, but the definition I am using it as, the people in my eyes, who just play for fun, are the casual players of DayZ. I've been playing DayZ since day one, and have been lurking around these forums for just as long. Obviously not on an account, I've only recently started posting. But from what I gather, in the majority of the threads I have seen, and post's that I've read, the majority of players play for that "realism" feel, and get into it like that.

And I never stated anything about the patch "making" you do anything.

I simply said, in more or less words, that the patch puts a road block in the way that people are used to playing.

And that it was a good thing for the "hardcore" players, like me, who play DayZ and get really into it.

(Also, anyone who read what I said about the way the game is supposed to be played knows that I didn't mean it by a literal "Home page description" Come on, that's common sense. It doesn't take a goddamn rocket scientist to look at the history of DayZ patches and be able to tell what direction the game is headed, and what play style it pushes).

Edited by Naz187

Here's my response to your "bad" list:

8. Because real life has peripheral dots to help you while driving?

No... real life has 180º field of vision... which is much better than peripheral dots.

I'm sure 90% of these ppl saying QQ it's mean to be hard, haven't tried starting from the shore with a backpack, bandage and flashlight with latest patch.

You need an axe to protect yourself which puts you in range of being hit. Twice today I've got hit and went unconscious... if you go unconscious, you're dead.

Zeds can still walk through walls, why not fix the obvious ...

Sir you have my beans.

This people come here saying zombies are meant to be this hard because most of them have their tents filled with weapons and ammo they get on empty servers by running through the airfield. Hardly impressive, try playing with a fresh spawn then judge what we say about the zombies, until then, stfu.

Of course there's the hardcore gamers, but well we can't all be badass pro gamers can we? So if the game is easy to you it doesn't mean its easy for everyone else.

I don't know what you're all complaining about. It's just as easy as it was before the update.

What are you doing? Sprinting through towns? Shooting non silenced guns in towns? Other retarded things?

All I can say to this topic is derp.

I loled when I read this.

Because one of the most common loots is silenced efficient weapons...I don't know what to do with all the silenced mp5's I find...

Half the fun for me in DayZ is sneaking around to avoid zombies. If I can't do this and zombies attack from all directions regardless of what I do...no more fun...

Same here.

------------

Shooting zombies is an impossible tactic, shouldn't be, people should have the option to just shoot the hell out of a town if they wanted to, spawn more zombies yes, but after some initial waves it would cease spawning for a few minutes. Now would this be efficient? that would be for the players to judge.

Sneak through zombies is almost impossible during the day, and even at night isn't easy. Remember that this kind of play also makes players easy prey for players, its really impossible to do this now unless you have all the time in the world and don't mind wasting hours to get a few loot out of a town.

So this leaves us with the only viable option, run loot run loot. So much for sandbox.

So to sum it up OP,

everything making this game harder: bad

everything making the game easier: good

what the actual f*ck is wrong with you? why are you even playing DayZ to start with?

I think it's just natural that a car isn't the safe-haven for any dumb-ass that gets one, let alone a bicycle giving you complete immunity to zombie hits before the patch was ridiculous

Zombies not spawning when in a vehicle is what i consider a bug, because zombies should appear like they are "there" wether you are there or not, just because it's not realiseable to have zombies in every town at every time doesn't mean it was intetional at all to protect you from spawning zombies when in a car

I really like the new changes and ESPECIALLY the reduction of ammo found

it's just brilliant to be there when somebody spams bullets in your general direction resulting in him having no ammo and a full mob of zombies chasing him

And regarding the zombie detection: It's actually working like intended

just like any animal that isn't that bright, zombies react to fast and loud noises and to movement

if you wear a ghillie or not is completely unimportant, as long as you are moving while being crouched in an open field the will see you, and the should see you

just because your ghillie suit doesn't give you zombie protection (which it actually does to a part, npcs have a harder time to spot ghillies since the zombies are normal npcs, and arma takes this into consideration, rocket just altered the numbers a bit)

this just means more survivability for tjhe people not engaging and not running around like jerks on an open field in the midst of zombies

• Like 1

I think they should actually make it harder. The whole game seems to be filled with people that are simply playing team death match, where your team is just those who you know in real life... The only way to cement teamwork between strangers is by making gameplay so hard that they need someone to watch there back or provide a distraction. In shows such as the walking dead its advisable to show caution with new people (which makes sense 'cus even if the game is hard their will always be people trying to kill you), but think of all the help they could provide SO LONG AS YOU DON'T SHOOT THEM!

Edited by Sandmnbakery