GrassyKnoll

New Update Makes DayZ Extremely Difficult

There is such thing as realism, and such things as taking it too far. I think 1.7.5 is taking it too far. Just simply make it so zombies don't despawn when they're chasing you, not activate the combat timer. And why should a player near you activate the combat timer? That ruins stealth so much.

I don't know what you're all complaining about. It's just as easy as it was before the update.

What are you doing? Sprinting through towns? Shooting non silenced guns in towns? Other retarded things?

All I can say to this topic is derp.

• Like 1

Zombies talking to each other within 80m is unrealistic. First off, zombies shouldn't be able to talk to one another, they make different noises but shouldn't be smart enough to communicate. Second off... I can't even use direct communication with another player over 40m.

well ill give my two cents.

i honestly like what's been implemented in this patch, sure, there are a few things that irk me here or there, but it's not a game breaker. You have to boil water before you drink it. Great! its not a challenge, just get an empty tin and start a fire, irl zambie scenarios, water would most likely be contaminated. so it makes sense to have to purify water before you can drink it (without chance of infection that is)

Different types of meats is pretty awesome i think. besides, it's not like the blood values change TOO MUCH. beef is 600 i believe, meat before was 800. so you lost 200 blood points, big deal. hell, Rabbit, gives you 1600. The one thing that used to be ignored, is now the thing people will hunt the most, aside from that hunting hasnt really changed.

Infection is kinda cool too, you now have the chance to get infected should you make mistakes or if you don't take care of yourself, it makes sense, as someone should take care of themselves.

I really like that backpack changes, i think this is something they should have done along time ago. the Chezch BackPack looks BIGGER and has the bonus of a camo design, it didnt make sense to me that the ALICE which looked significantly smaller actually had more spaces, and didn't have any sort of camouflage. they new packs that were added look pretty cool. I kinda don't like that fact that the "bigger" packs will only spawn in military type loots, as this is sure to make Military zones such as the NWAF and NEAF more of a hotspot than what they already are, stary will probably be more populated aswell since that spawns Mloot aswell. Again, a bit pestive, but not impossible, or a deal breaker.

Now, zombies is something im 50-50 about, i love the fact that they are more aggresive and actually HORDE around you now, rather then just stand around for show. But, i don't like the fact that just about everything causes them to aggro. i ate a can of beans inside the market in stary, and all hell broke loose, i barely made it out of there, if it werent for the back doors, i probably wouldnt have. i appreciate the fact that the game is trying to be more "immersive" but going to war against Chernos' zombie population over eating a can of beans seems a bit silly. i feel that you should only attract that much zombie attention IF you actually fuck up. Let's say im trying to be sneaky and sneak into the ATC tower at NWAF, and i accidently make to much noise, right there, id expect myself to be in a world of shit (since loads of zombies should spawn there) the point of a game such as this is to take risks in hopes of seeking rewards, right? well, if your burning out more resources and time taking risks, for little to no rewards, then what's the point? as they say "sometimes the pain isn't worth the pleasure"

The last thing i strongly dislike, is the timer system. I love the fact that it's there, i just wish it would work when it's supposed to. im tired of wanting to log out because i dont feel like playing anymore, but it wont let me, even though im not being attacked, im not hurt, im not aggroed, im not near any players, im not near any zombies and so on. if safety is absolutely sure, then i should be able to log out, not wait there 30 "Mississippi" seconds. another example, i was running around trying to find a chezch pack (since they are better now) i ended up in stary and no back pack, so naturally, because of this, i just wanted to get out so instead of sneaking out and just bolted, causing aggro and the timer to go off. Now, when i finally go out and lost all the zombies, the timer stayed red for a little, and then turned green, i made my way to a tree and attempted to log off. NOPE. kept telling me i had to wait 30 seconds, even though i wasn't in danger, i moved even further away from where i was to see if that would fix it, still nothing, and this lasted the whole way through, no matter where i went, i could not log off. in the eyes of the timer "i was still in danger" even when i was alone on the server, same thing kept happening. i had to resort to using my pc's Task Manager to close the game because i could not log out.

the last thing i want to point out is heli crashes, this is something i'm clueless about. it's been like 3 days, and i have yet to find one. i know other players have had the same luck, all my friends can confirm that they too have had no luck with heli crashes. I asked our server admin and he said that they don't exist anymore, that either the server is bugged, or the patch itself is messed up. if anyone wants to correct me, feel free to do so.

To summarize, the patch is really well put together, the ideas are great, but as it shows, there are a few things that i feel could be worked on. Nothing major. just a tweak here and there.

• Like 1

It's been confirmed by scores of posts that Zeds now spot players who are crawling- not walking, not shooting- crawling- from hundreds of meters out, through cover. Whether this is by sight or sound, I don't know. Certainly the "heads up" meters don't show this exposure.

I've personally seen empty towns, when I am the only playe on the serverr, go berserk with activity from Zeds when I am crawling 200+ meters from any Zed, on my belly.

This needs addressed, and quick. Numbers are dropping in game from the patch, instead of raising, as people see that stealth is now useless in game. I've seen a lot of players here on the forums pretending they have actually tried to go into game/town and say things being harder is great, blah, blah blah; but they obviously haven't experienced this.

I'm all for a tougher experience. I love realism in games that make me think.

But this has nothing to do with thinking. Strategy gets you knowwhere when you are spotted crawling from hundreds of meters away from any Zed.

• Like 2

It's been confirmed by scores of posts that Zeds now spot players who are crawling- not walking, not shooting- crawling- from hundreds of meters out, through cover. Whether this is by sight or sound, I don't know. Certainly the "heads up" meters don't show this exposure.

I've personally seen empty towns, when I am the only playe on the serverr, go berserk with activity from Zeds when I am crawling 200+ meters from any Zed, on my belly.

This needs addressed, and quick. Numbers are dropping in game from the patch, instead of raising, as people see that stealth is now useless in game. I've seen a lot of players here on the forums pretending they have actually tried to go into game/town and say things being harder is great, blah, blah blah; but they obviously haven't experienced this.

I'm all for a tougher experience. I love realism in games that make me think.

But this has nothing to do with thinking. Strategy gets you knowwhere when you are spotted crawling from hundreds of meters away from any Zed.

well ill give my two cents.

i honestly like what's been implemented in this patch, sure, there are a few things that irk me here or there, but it's not a game breaker. You have to boil water before you drink it. Great! its not a challenge, just get an empty tin and start a fire, irl zambie scenarios, water would most likely be contaminated. so it makes sense to have to purify water before you can drink it (without chance of infection that is)

Different types of meats is pretty awesome i think. besides, it's not like the blood values change TOO MUCH. beef is 600 i believe, meat before was 800. so you lost 200 blood points, big deal. hell, Rabbit, gives you 1600. The one thing that used to be ignored, is now the thing people will hunt the most, aside from that hunting hasnt really changed.

Infection is kinda cool too, you now have the chance to get infected should you make mistakes or if you don't take care of yourself, it makes sense, as someone should take care of themselves.

I really like that backpack changes, i think this is something they should have done along time ago. the Chezch BackPack looks BIGGER and has the bonus of a camo design, it didnt make sense to me that the ALICE which looked significantly smaller actually had more spaces, and didn't have any sort of camouflage. they new packs that were added look pretty cool. I kinda don't like that fact that the "bigger" packs will only spawn in military type loots, as this is sure to make Military zones such as the NWAF and NEAF more of a hotspot than what they already are, stary will probably be more populated aswell since that spawns Mloot aswell. Again, a bit pestive, but not impossible, or a deal breaker.

Now, zombies is something im 50-50 about, i love the fact that they are more aggresive and actually HORDE around you now, rather then just stand around for show. But, i don't like the fact that just about everything causes them to aggro. i ate a can of beans inside the market in stary, and all hell broke loose, i barely made it out of there, if it werent for the back doors, i probably wouldnt have. i appreciate the fact that the game is trying to be more "immersive" but going to war against Chernos' zombie population over eating a can of beans seems a bit silly. i feel that you should only attract that much zombie attention IF you actually fuck up. Let's say im trying to be sneaky and sneak into the ATC tower at NWAF, and i accidently make to much noise, right there, id expect myself to be in a world of shit (since loads of zombies should spawn there) the point of a game such as this is to take risks in hopes of seeking rewards, right? well, if your burning out more resources and time taking risks, for little to no rewards, then what's the point? as they say "sometimes the pain isn't worth the pleasure"

The last thing i strongly dislike, is the timer system. I love the fact that it's there, i just wish it would work when it's supposed to. im tired of wanting to log out because i dont feel like playing anymore, but it wont let me, even though im not being attacked, im not hurt, im not aggroed, im not near any players, im not near any zombies and so on. if safety is absolutely sure, then i should be able to log out, not wait there 30 "Mississippi" seconds. another example, i was running around trying to find a chezch pack (since they are better now) i ended up in stary and no back pack, so naturally, because of this, i just wanted to get out so instead of sneaking out and just bolted, causing aggro and the timer to go off. Now, when i finally go out and lost all the zombies, the timer stayed red for a little, and then turned green, i made my way to a tree and attempted to log off. NOPE. kept telling me i had to wait 30 seconds, even though i wasn't in danger, i moved even further away from where i was to see if that would fix it, still nothing, and this lasted the whole way through, no matter where i went, i could not log off. in the eyes of the timer "i was still in danger" even when i was alone on the server, same thing kept happening. i had to resort to using my pc's Task Manager to close the game because i could not log out.

the last thing i want to point out is heli crashes, this is something i'm clueless about. it's been like 3 days, and i have yet to find one. i know other players have had the same luck, all my friends can confirm that they too have had no luck with heli crashes. I asked our server admin and he said that they don't exist anymore, that either the server is bugged, or the patch itself is messed up. if anyone wants to correct me, feel free to do so.

To summarize, the patch is really well put together, the ideas are great, but as it shows, there are a few things that i feel could be worked on. Nothing major. just a tweak here and there.

You two gave very good input. Both of you are correct, the game needs fixing here and there, The combat timer definitely needs to be tweaked.

Regarding helicopter crashes: All of them do not spawn as soon as the server is started. They will take time to spawn in their random places. They made it more of a luck thing with helicopter crashes.

Those 30 "Mississippi" seconds you see in the game menu counting down have nothing to do with combat lock or anything. They're always there. Everyone gets them. Apparently the idea is that people would only ever log out of this game if they saw another player, got scared and logged off before any action could ensue. I say apparently because I don't like the feature at all. But hey, everyone has a brain fart occassionally, so can the comm.devs. Like I keep saying, do things right or don't bother doing them at all.

These things need a fix - not a nerf, a fix! - right away:

- Aggro bugs. There are bugs, not all of the behavior we currently see can be intentional. Fix it.

- Respawn times. There needs to be some delay before zombies can respawn on you or DayZ is more silly-arcady than side-scrolling shooters from the 80s.

- Getting hit in vehicles when the glass is absolutely fine / leaking heli fuel when the glass is broken

- Non-combat logout countdown. It's done in the most obnoxious way possible. Here's how you fix it: When you aren't combat locked, and you're stationary for 5 seconds+, you can log out. If a bandit had just spotted you, but wasn't quick enough to get you into combat lock, fuck him. His right to take a shot at me doesn't overrule my right to leave the game when I want to.

• Like 1

I'm ok with improved Z hearing, and all the problems it brings. However, they should also have given us the ability to distract the zombies by making noise.

Lobbing a bottle from a rooftop attracting every Z in a 100m circumference while you slip out the other way would really add a sense of realism.

Those 30 "Mississippi" seconds you see in the game menu counting down have nothing to do with combat lock or anything. They're always there. Everyone gets them. Apparently the idea is that people would only ever log out of this game if they saw another player, got scared and logged off before any action could ensue. I say apparently because I don't like the feature at all. But hey, everyone has a brain fart occassionally, so can the comm.devs. Like I keep saying, do things right or don't bother doing them at all.

These things need a fix - not a nerf, a fix! - right away:

- Aggro bugs. There are bugs, not all of the behavior we currently see can be intentional. Fix it.

- Respawn times. There needs to be some delay before zombies can respawn on you or DayZ is more silly-arcady than side-scrolling shooters from the 80s.

- Getting hit in vehicles when the glass is absolutely fine / leaking heli fuel when the glass is broken

- Non-combat logout countdown. It's done in the most obnoxious way possible. Here's how you fix it: When you aren't combat locked, and you're stationary for 5 seconds+, you can log out. If a bandit had just spotted you, but wasn't quick enough to get you into combat lock, fuck him. His right to take a shot at me doesn't overrule my right to leave the game when I want to.

I like those ideas. Definitely needs fixed.

I have never had an issue driving an ATV over a bridge...I am really curious to see what people are always talking about with this.

I dont agree,

I on purpose drove around towns slowly in a SUV last night, I was not hit once while inside and found that the zeds would just ignore the suv after a while

The Zeds dont need to be nerfed, while i found that they now react to gunfire and decend on you quite quickly all you have to do get inside a building and then silently (yes you CAN move silently without rolling, just takes practice) move to new location in the building, the zeds shamble to your last footstep then turn around and walk out. Apart from the hearing now working the zeds actually appear easier to shake through breaking line of light, they seem to 'give up' easier

Zed numbers are fine I have no problem moving through them it just requires more practice for those who struggle

Try crawling into a town without your car, and see what happens to you. They can spot you crawling at plus 200 meters, through cover. It's incredibly hard to keep them from spotting you- crawling. It's easy to tell you haven't attempted this. Also, they are much, much harder to shake now without a building to take advantage of- not easier.

I don't know why the more difficult zombies is such a big deal.

It makes them "scary" again. The first time I played the game I remember that sketchy feeling of "fear" when I would hear, see, or start to get chased by a zombie. After a couple weeks that feeling was gone. But now that they're harder it brings that feeling back. It makes me fear being spotted or heard.

My PERSONAL opinion: ...Sack the fuck up and quit bitching. Starting to sound like the Call of Duty community around here.

Edited by Naz187

I don't know why the more difficult zombies is such a big deal.

It makes them "scary" again. The first time I played the game I remember that sketchy feeling of "fear" when I would hear, see, or start to get chased by a zombie. After a couple weeks that feeling was gone. But now that they're harder it brings that feeling back. It makes me fear being spotted or heard.

My PERSONAL opinion: ...Sack the fuck up and quit bitching. Starting to sound like the Call of Duty community around here.

Not to take sides, but those feeling you have are only temporary and once you've lived and played enough of the game you won't have those same feelings anymore. Then what? You'll be on here saying that the Zombies aren't hard anymore. Please be realistic.

Not to take sides, but those feeling you have are only temporary and once you've lived and played enough of the game you won't have those same feelings anymore. Then what? You'll be on here saying that the Zombies aren't hard anymore. Please be realistic.

How is it not realistic.

When that feeling of a refreshed zombie is gone the difficulty is still there.

Just because I won't get "startled" anymore doesn't make the zombies any less difficult.

I think you need to relearn was "realistic" is.

How is it not realistic.

Just because I won't get "startled" anymore doesn't make the zombies any less difficult.

So you're saying infinite waves of immediately respawning zombies is realistic, and we have to relearn what "realistic" is? Uhm, sorry, but infinite waves in quick succession have always been the cheapest way for a video game to force a player into running away rather than taking out enemies. In fact, you'd metagame that very aspect, if the enemies keep respawning there must be another path you were supposed to take.

In a sandbox game, cheap tricks like that don't work, period.

If you're referring to the improved hearing and cross-communication... those would be fine - after fixing certain glitches that currently exist, argue all you want, there are glitches in the aggro - if they weren't built on said problematic mechanic of infinite supply of zombies.

Edited by Elvaron

Half the fun for me in DayZ is sneaking around to avoid zombies. If I can't do this and zombies attack from all directions regardless of what I do...no more fun...

• Like 2

I find this fascinating. I've been able to walk amongst the zombies with little problem... the occasional aggro which I lose by dodging through trees or around buildings. I don't know what people are talking about. Yes, when they aggro, it can get messy, but that's the game. And, perhaps, it's because I've been playing 2017 where there are zombie hordes, but there seem to be fewer zombies spawning initially.

I've always shook my head and laughed at people who unnecessarily shot zombies and, it seems, my time spent learning to avoid aggro in the first place has paid off in 1.7.5... both in my ability to walk through a town or a field with zombies in it and in my ability to lose aggro fairly quickly. Doesn't always work right away, but most of the time it does... and even with 20 zombies surrounding me in a pine tree outside the NWAF barracks, I got out of it unscathed and got the loot in a matter of minutes.

My first spawn in 1.7.5.1 was in Elektro... I made it through that town aggro'ing only a couple of zombies...and those I did aggro, I lost by using the buildings and alleyways to cut line of sight. I check corners and out doorways before I go into the streets to check zombie movements and time mine... in other words, I play the game. I laughed when I heard someone fire a DMR nearby while I was in the restaurant/hotel and then I left town - since I only had an axe and a Makarov with no ammo. I exited the way I entered, circuitously and stealthily.

This update is going to require many people to re-think their approach to the zombies and survivial in general in the game... and I like it.

As far as the combat timer goes... aggro'ing zombies indicates to other players where you are. And, I've always felt logging out to avoid zombie aggro was a bit lame anyway. And, personally, I'm thankful that the icon starts flashing when zombies see me. I may not know one has aggro'd and the combat icon let's me know I've been seen and I can ditch the zombie faster if it's seen me from a couple hundred meters away. I can go behind a tree or a building and it will lose interest before it gets to me.

Maybe someone should post a tutorial video on good zombie avoidance techniques.

So you're saying infinite waves of immediately respawning zombies is realistic, and we have to relearn what "realistic" is? Uhm, sorry, but infinite waves in quick succession have always been the cheapest way for a video game to force a player into running away rather than taking out enemies. In fact, you'd metagame that very aspect, if the enemies keep respawning there must be another path you were supposed to take.

In a sandbox game, cheap tricks like that don't work, period.

If you're referring to the improved hearing and cross-communication... those would be fine - after fixing certain glitches that currently exist, argue all you want, there are glitches in the aggro - if they weren't built on said problematic mechanic of infinite supply of zombies.

Whoa there sparky, calm it down a notch.

You don't have to re-learn jack shit, I was talking to this other guy, not you.

And I was responding to his remark about being realistic for what I said about the feeling of the zombies now and the difficulty of them after. I never said a single thing about the constant respawning. I was simply referring to the cross-coms of the zombies and the increased senses that they have, that in return make them much more difficult. ...Infact I agree with the constant spawns of zombies being a bit much.

Edited by Naz187

Whoa there sparky, calm it down a notch.

You don't have to re-learn jack shit, I was talking to this other guy, not you.

And I was responding to his remark about being realistic for what I said about the feeling of the zombies now and the difficulty of them after. I never said a single thing about the constant respawning. I was simply referring to the cross-coms of the zombies and the increased senses that they have, that in return make them much more difficult. ...Infact I agree with the constant spawns of zombies being a bit much.

kk, no injury, no harm ;)

As far as the combat timer goes... aggro'ing zombies indicates to other players where you are. And, I've always felt logging out to avoid zombie aggro was a bit lame anyway. And, personally, I'm thankful that the icon starts flashing when zombies see me. I may not know one has aggro'd and the combat icon let's me know I've been seen and I can ditch the zombie faster if it's seen me from a couple hundred meters away. I can go behind a tree or a building and it will lose interest before it gets to me.

Noone's arguing against the combat timer responding to almost every activity, that's great. What I object is this: you log into a server, freshly spawn, havent even moved an inch, remember you had something else to do, want to log out again. Oh right, you have to stay in the game menu for 30 imaginary (60+ real) seconds before you're allowed to click on Abort because someone might want to shoot at you at some point in the near future.

TLDR: Combat lock on almost everything? Yes. Additional 30+ seconds of staring at the (not greyed out, nor combat lock blinking in the background) Abort button? No.

How is it not realistic.

No, I just get tired of people saying "Zombies aren't a threat and need to be made harder." It seems there really is no pleasing some people, and if this stage of Zombie is where you get off then great for you, but for many I've noticed there is no end to the cycle. They never seem to be satisfied with the Zombies until they are Cheetah-fucking you to death like Usain Bolt on bath salts.

Though let me tell you, Zombies still aren't a threat because I am accustomed to the game. You might fear them and are scared of them, but there will come a time when you don't... As will the rest of the community, and then the forums will be.. "Zombies are still too easy." and it'll just be a downward spiral until Zombies are tearing everything apart and you can't do anything in the game because of it's clunky animations and lack of design for a proper melee system to protect you.

• Like 2

I disagree with everything highlighted in red. DayZ is supposed to be extremely difficult.

If you think this is difficult now you wont be playing standalone because it will be even more difficult lol.

I disagree with everything highlighted in red. DayZ is supposed to be extremely difficult.

Extremely difficult is one thing. Zombies that have instant backup out of no where is another (Near-instant respawns). Zombies hitting you through a car with no discernable damage to it? (No windscreen damage). A timer that makes you wait to log out out of the game even if you aren't in danger?

All of those, I agree are flaws. Not having peripheral dots is an improvement however, in my opinion of course. Adding more zombies, I agree is not an issue either. Though I question if you even read any of that or if you just cheerlead anything, especially things that make entirely no sense? I understand everyone has their opinions of the game and like various features while others don't, but those things are obvious flaws and don't do anything to logically increase the difficulty of the game.