Diz (DayZ)

Who Else Thinks 1.7.5.1 Pushes Annoyance and Survival Too Far?

Oh, please. Survival.

Zombies now are a more real threat. That's what it is important.

Only because their behaviour is buggy and unpredictable. The biggest threat from zombies come from the fact they they will all of a sudden detect you from 100m away while you're laying prone inside a building in the middle of the night, teleport through a wall and knock you out with a single hit. If the zombie AI acted the way it's supposed to they'd be more dangerous than in 1.7.4 but only slightly.

• Like 2

Only because their behaviour is buggy and unpredictable. The biggest threat from zombies come from the fact they they will all of a sudden detect you from 100m away while you're laying prone inside a building in the middle of the night, teleport through a wall and knock you out with a single hit. If the zombie AI acted the way it's supposed to they'd be more dangerous than in 1.7.4 but only slightly.

That never happened. Beans for Exaggeration.

Random fact from Walking Dead, the series.

walking_dead.jpg

Tell me again why zombies need to be difficult in a zombie survival game?

For now I am out, I have had enough of other players and the super awareness of the zombies. I will check 1.7.6 notes to see if they make an adjustment but until then there are games which are actually just that "games" not work after a hard day of it in RL.

Just played again for the first time in months.

I spent the entire time - no exaggeration - the ENTIRE time, looking for animals to kill and eat.

I came back to see the full changelog and was surprised to see how little blood certain meats give you.

It's OK for me, but I can see this getting very tiresome for most bandit-centered folks out there.

Tell me again why zombies need to be difficult in a zombie survival game?

One reason would be to punish mindless banditry and encourage working together.

At first i liked the idea o this patch... But id have to agree with the thread op... It has made it rather mundane... But on the plus.. Or another negative (im undecided) wasteland has seen an influx o players. (the increase in hacking a holes seems disproptionate to players. ;-)

Run to Tree's = zombies gone. they're not even a threat now. it just gives me less incentive to fire my weapon.

I'm not going to write a huge diatribe on the philosophy of the game, we've been through all of that before.

What I will do is posit the theory that this game, which relies on a balance between different aspects(Zombie, Survival, PvP) has been pushed too far in a certain direction.

Complication and annoyance simply for the sake of complication and annoyance are just plain silly.

Some of us love DayZ for the sandbox that it is and for the BALANCE which existed between the different aspects of the game.

This game shouldn't become CoD w/zombies anymore than it should morph into Mountain Man Simulator 2013 or Dead Island - DayZ Edition. As Rocket has stated numerous times, the player shouldn't feel "pushed" into any particular playstyle.

Unfortunately this last patch "pushes" us a lot farther into Mountain Man/Dead Island territory and I for one don't like it.

p.s. Why not add more A.I. and survival variables into the server difficulty settings to further differentiate Recruit/Regular/Veteran/Expert and give everyone a balance they feel satisfied with?

Oh, and before the patch we weren't "pushed" into pvp? You couldn't play on a high pop server and think you're going to do much else without hiding in the woods.

I would like to know, in detail, what you think the finished game should be like. Because this is what it comes down to. We've all been playing a mod in development. What we all think it IS, might be nothing like what its going to be when its actually finished.

I have come to the conclusion that it is a bit of a mountain man sim with zombies being the reason for it. Give the players no rules and there you go.

Run to Tree's = zombies gone. they're not even a threat now. it just gives me less incentive to fire my weapon.

bullsheet ... you still get the one Zed that just keeps swinging ... he will not leave... until dispatched.

http://www.dayzwiki....version_1.7.5.1

More complication and annoyance.

A few examples:

• Blood bags can give you an infection now
  • Water can make you sick unless you go through a process to boil it
  • Lots of annoyance added like when you eat canned food it puts the empty can into your inventory
  • Meat was split up into 5 different types (more bag slots needed as a result since diff. types don't stack)
  • Chopping wood attracts zombies
  • Zombie AI got a boost across the board, they hear better, (hit harder?),chase better, are harder to lose etc.(but are still bugged in so many annoying ways)
  • Zombies can damage cars and even pull players out of their cars
  • Ammo drops nerfed drastically

Haven't played latest patch but all this sounds great.

If your complaining about this.... You might as well quit now...... Standalone is going to have alot more labor involved for little award.

Not hard enough, I'd say - I got ambushed by a bandit last night (survived thanks to my hyper-leet running away skillz) and he was blasting away with an automatic rifle in the middle of Cherno without a concern.

I thought if you did that you were zombie food, but apparently not.

I don't mind the changes too much, But what I really want to know is..

Why do I get aggro from zombies when i'm crawling around prone????? This happens to me all the time now, zombies that are relatively far away aggro and I'm like WTF?? I was on the outskirts of a small town, I go prone and start crawling and i get aggro... I have no idea...

can anyone help me?

I can't go in to any town now

Edited by JaketheHunted

Not far enough if you ask me.

[NEW] - Cutting down trees now attracts zeds.

There are no zeds in the forest...needs some,lots of.

Killing/killed animals and cooking meat should also attract with in a particular range.

OP is 100% correct. While this game is still incredibly simple as all you need to do is run through buildings to find matches, hunting knife and an axe and camp out in the woods (which is essentially winning in this game), the items added in this latest patch don't necessarily make the game harder, just far more annoying. To all the people who love to reply with "ohhh, qq more" and "get good", I again repeat myself: these items don't necessarily make the game "harder", just far more annoying. It's incredibly simple to overcome the new additions, but it's more annoying. Honestly, why the fuck would I eat pasta and then put the empty cans back in my bag? What is the logic behind that? Now I must open my bag and drop these cans to free up space. It's honestly an incredibly idiotic design choice.

Also, for the blood infections, I know the realism people will love this but if you want realism, let's remove blood tranfusions all together. Blood sitting out in non temperature controlled settings will spoil. All that blood you find just laying around, it should be spoiled. And let's continue down the realism path. How about allowing me to run while swapping weapons? Why must is come to a complete stop and then go through this incredibly long and drawn out animation just to swap weapons? This is the zombie apacolypse.

• Like 2

OP is 100% correct. While this game is still incredibly simple as all you need to do is run through buildings to find matches, hunting knife and an axe and camp out in the woods (which is essentially winning in this game), the items added in this latest patch don't necessarily make the game harder, just far more annoying. To all the people who love to reply with "ohhh, qq more" and "get good", I again repeat myself: these items don't necessarily make the game "harder", just far more annoying. It's incredibly simple to overcome the new additions, but it's more annoying. Honestly, why the fuck would I eat pasta and then put the empty cans back in my bag? What is the logic behind that? Now I must open my bag and drop these cans to free up space. It's honestly an incredibly idiotic design choice.

Also, for the blood infections, I know the realism people will love this but if you want realism, let's remove blood tranfusions all together. Blood sitting out in non temperature controlled settings will spoil. All that blood you find just laying around, it should be spoiled. And let's continue down the realism path. How about allowing me to run while swapping weapons? Why must is come to a complete stop and then go through this incredibly long and drawn out animation just to swap weapons? This is the zombie apacolypse.

Its impossible to allow switching while running because no animations for it exist.

I joined (bought and started playing) the game a few hours ago.. And I think OP is right a little bit... I've never played ArmA etc before, but its not so hard to get used to the gameplay of this game tho :P However, the only thing I see needs to be done is the zombies running around like they are proffessional runners... If those zombies would be edited and fixed as they should be, then this game would be just awesome!!! Its just now so hard to survive, I cannot even find water nor food to stay alive... :( Zombies are also deadly, can climb ladders and towers faster than I can, hit more than I can hit, and run as fast as I can... Those zombies are just so OP LOL xDxDxD

Edited by SoulHunter

I've recently started playing DayZ regularly again. Mainly this is because I wanted to check out DayZ+ which made a bunch of changes I'd been hoping for. I'd forgotten how much more fun shootouts are with shotguns than snipe-offs.

Look. If you're not content to just horde survival necessities/bug out, or sit in a high traffic spot KOSing people all day- the inconvenience is what drives the game. Having a need is the endgame. Zombies should be hard, weather that is achieved via brilliant AI/scripting or occasional glitches- going into zombie infested areas should be a huge risk. I'd rather see good AI, but the end effect is the same- the shit is dangerous. Generally if you're smart you will be fine. Don't go into buildings of a kind that you know glitch. Don't put your back against a wall that might glitch. Always have an exit route planned out. Keep a low profile. Bring the right weapon for the job. Blahblahblah- not too much to think about, just be cautious.

If you're too dumb to know you don't fire an Enfield on main street after you've spawned 30 zombies, you're just not good at DayZ yet. The game is 99% about being generally careful.

I've been playing Skyrim recently with some hardcore immersion mods. Compared to those DayZ's basic necessities requirements are almost just a passing reference. The temperature is almost never a factor. Sickness is one dimensional and non-debilitating. Hunger and thirst progress at a very slow rate. Water/food is always safe to drink/eat. Wounds are non a non-factor aside from bleeding or breaking a leg, both of which are immediately easily remedied. You can spend 15 minutes in a city and be buffered against any eventuality for a good while. DayZ just has survival elements, but no fucking way does it lean heavily in that direction. It has just enough to, from time to time, produce a need which translates into an informal "quest" that will take you out of your comfort zone and make you vulnerable to bandits/zombies. Simple formula that I think works pretty well.

Cars are pretty much the same thing. Just another element to drive necessity and give the game more dimension between PvP 24/7 and staring at a campfire "surviving" by avoiding danger. The cars in DayZ just made it through a huge battle/zombie infestation. There were people shooting bullets and airstrikes and all manner of explosions. There is glass and debris everywhere. Frequently as a driver you are required to go off-road or run people down. Charnarus probably had questionable infrastructure in the first place. There is plenty to justify why maintaining a rotting Eastern European car is a chore. Keep a spare engine, couple tires, windshield, metal scraps, and a fuel tank and you are prepared for anything as long as you have a toolbox. When preparation fails it gives you a reason to go complete a task, and that is content. If there is a bandit or horde of deadly glitching zombies standing between you and getting your car off the road before it is looted what you have on your hands is a video game.

Personally I would like to see more complex inconveniences and more nuanced reasons to do shit. Having an objective is central to the game, and it puts you in interesting positions or forces you to make tough choices. In my opinion DayZ is pretty light on reasons to do shit, and doing shit is not very dangerous at all with a little caution. I reject any sentiment that it is too annoying or micro-managerial. It's not. Find another game.

• Like 1

Oh my fucking god, the Zombies in this patch.

I just had to quit playing once me and my two friends got utterly wrecked by about 50 zombies that spewed out of one shed, in a small town, and glitch hit us through the wall of a building.

I mean, being swarmed with zombies can be really fun, but when doing ANYTHING will alert the hoard of glitchy-ass zombies, every single fucking time you go near an even a small sized settlement, it get's tedious and boring.

• Like 1

Honestly, why the fuck would I eat pasta and then put the empty cans back in my bag? What is the logic behind that?

I know, right, dumb decision IMO.

Oh my fucking god, the Zombies in this patch.

I haven't actually noticed any differences in zombie difficulty in this patch, apart from one time I tried hiding in a bush and a zed hit me anyways.

I spent about 10 full minutes in Solnichniy destroying two cars with a crowbar, zombies all around me, and I mean all around me, and they were just a minor irritant. I ran into houses, threw flares, tin cans, just acting stupid and nothing happened to me.

Then I got bored and decided to suicide by zombie and it took them ages to kill me. In fact, they didn't kill me... I wasn't dying and the zeds lost interest so eventually I just ran off a cliff...

I know, right, dumb decision IMO.

I haven't actually noticed any differences in zombie difficulty in this patch, apart from one time I tried hiding in a bush and a zed hit me anyways.

I spent about 10 full minutes in Solnichniy destroying two cars with a crowbar, zombies all around me, and I mean all around me, and they were just a minor irritant. I ran into houses, threw flares, tin cans, just acting stupid and nothing happened to me.

Then I got bored and decided to suicide by zombie and it took them ages to kill me. In fact, they didn't kill me... I wasn't dying and the zeds lost interest so eventually I just ran off a cliff...

As I much as I think they rly should not be able to climb ladders and towers like real humans ... c.c

• Lots of annoyance added like when you eat canned food it puts the empty can into your inventory

Well its not like your gonna eat the can.

Edited by GOD™

I've had plenty of time to play this patch, and I must say I'm loving it and is moving in the right direction. The only thing that annoys me is the forward flip.