griffinz

DayZ Devblog 4th February 2013

Dat swamp.

I'm lovin the fact Utes has been added too. I'd just like to correct though and say that it was suggested on these forums long be fore 4chan. Much love.

Yeh, i nearly fell off my chair when the 4chan thing came out.. WE ARE NOT HAPPY !! ;) although in fairness 4chan does produce a good meme every once in a blue moon.

• Like 4

The game is so much more beautiful when you turn off post processing IMO. This motion blur looks terrible and the game is unplayable in those conditions for me at least.

But : everything else is fine.

I especially like the new models of wrecks and the interiors (that bloody piano ! amazing!).

There's still some work needed here and there but looks like I could already have fun playing this :)

• Like 1

no.......not really much progress...the lighting is still too dark and I fear we will not see this game being released in December 2012 as promised....I will go and play warz instead :lol:

Ugh... I wish people on YouTube would actually read the Dev Blog. All the comments are trolls about them wasting time on clothing and not dealing with hackers/game engine stuff. It's ridiculous. The more and more time I spend on the Internet, the less faith I have in humanity.

• Like 1

I never read Youtube comments. Just watch the vid, and get out quickly, it's the only way to deal with Youtube without smashing your face into the keyboard.

• Like 12

You guys ROCKS. I really cant wait B)

I don't like where they placed the swamp... I pictured it as some dark, overgrown place in the middle of the woods, not some kind of beachy paradise.

I don't like where they placed the swamp... I pictured it as some dark, overgrown place in the middle of the woods, not some kind of beachy paradise.

They said there are other swamp areas too. That is just an example of one of them.

I know what you mean though. I'd like to see a dark foreboding swamp in thick forest with a deserted bunker in the middle, lovely. Don't forget too that all of the footage and pictures so far have been on bright sunny day's. The new weather system will add a lot of atmosphere.

Edited by Fraggle

Really cool... amazing work. Hope there are some animations around clothes on an off - not to fancy but just not instant (like the other *cough* game we do not mention) - perhaps still work in progress.

Totally off topic - but in an interview somewhere Rocket mentioned that they had previously used the BI mo cap studio to capture a horse - bring it in to SA!!!

a swamp in the vicinity of a sea does make sense, as they exist as well. But yeah i too thought of stacking up the creep-factor of the game and that's where the movie-based stereotypical idea of a swamp hits my mind.

edit: now there has to be a SKUNK APE / SWAMP BEAST!!

Edited by joe_mcentire

Looks amazing. Disappointed a bit by both players showing off the new male avatars, rather then one being a male and one being female, but only a small disappointment. Standalone looks amazing, and I am so excited about the additions of island and swamps.The swamps got me thinking about how I'd love to see more wild life added, such as frogs, snakes, owls, etc. Not huge additions, but additions that certainly make the wilderness much more realistic and dangerous but beautiful.

I hope, to accommodate the new islands, we can build rafts. That would be really cool. I hope animations are still a work in progress though, can't STAND that heinous strafe-running animations from arma2. The arms flailing with the stiff as a board hands... urgh.

Not really sure what I could suggest, other then improving animations, because everything looks like it's going in the right direction! I just hope we get TONS of clothing options that all have different attributes.

I hope, to accommodate the new islands, we can build rafts. That would be really cool. I hope animations are still a work in progress though, can't STAND that heinous strafe-running animations from arma2. The arms flailing with the stiff as a board hands... urgh.

Kayaks... :)

EDIT: PS that's just a suggestion....

Edited by Roshi

a swamp in the vicinity of a sea does make sense, as they exist as well. But yeah i too thought of stacking up the creep-factor of the game and that's where the movie-based stereotypical idea of a swamp hits my mind.

edit: now there has to be a SKUNK APE / SWAMP BEAST!!

btw...how was the sparkling wine ??

Dunno how I've only just seen this. A full day late :(! Sweet jesus though, so so stoked.

They said there are other swamp areas too. That is just an example of one of them.

I know what you mean though. I'd like to see a dark foreboding swamp in thick forest with a deserted bunker in the middle, lovely. Don't forget too that all of the footage and pictures so far have been on bright sunny day's. The new weather system will add a lot of atmosphere.

Yeah this example swamp looks more like delta area, but like they said there will be more swamps

I never read Youtube comments. Just watch the vid, and get out quickly, it's the only way to deal with Youtube without smashing your face into the keyboard.

I would've said without smashing your own self-esteem, but ya know... might just be me...

I think everyone should spawn on Utes with nothing but a Wilson volleyball and an ice skate to knock your teeth out cuz you hadn't been brushing.

• Like 4

I'd like to believe there's actually a functionality behind the swamps rather than just being an aesthetic feature; that of water (stagnant in this case). It would make sense that they're fairly spread in that case.

Edited by CapricornOne

I almost pissed my pants when I fist saw matt running around in underwear and combat west... I bet that's going to be fashiontrend in chernarus for 2013 XD

About the swamp, I'm a bit disappointed. For me it is too open space. In Stalker, you could run into a swamp, make 2 turns, and get rid of anyone following you. This swamp is so open, that I fear that snipers will see it as a trap.

The Additional Island is great. We need more land! ^^ But would it be, maybe, possible, to add a airplane-carrier somewhere, if there is a model in the game? I could imagine it a great adventure if you had to go by bus or heli to look if there is any loot.

considering that it's a small surface, it could be an extreme version of NWAF.

AND i was really hoping to see a bit of the inventory system... but I can wait longer... hopefully

Its looking good.

Server side loot opens a can of ....... beans,

For example, will there be any logic surrounding item inflation? If the server knows that there are already two instances of AS50s on the map (either held by the current players on the map or in spawn points), will it actively not spawn anymore? Could the server admin specify the numbers of each item that can spawn on a map?

Also could server admin specify spawn time for different items? For example, on a particularly evil map they could make food spawn in less numbers and less frequently.

Obviously this system is also open to abuse - if server admins can specify numbers, then they could spawn a load of AS50s for friends for example.

Edited by M_B

Since they are obviously open to modifying Chernarus I seriously hope they consider throwing in a river (or 3, I'm not picky). Rivers add such an interesting dynamic, especially with limited crossovers. Would make traveling with cars across the map that much more exciting. ;) Plus it would make boats more viable. Win-win!

Edited by Mackan
  • Like 5