SmashT

ShannonZKiller - Jan 2013 - Interview/Livestream with Rocket

Thank you SO MUCH, Smasht for doing this ridiculously long transcription for everyone! You are a boss!

And thank you to everyone who came into my chat and kept the interview flowing in a really cool way by asking very thoughtful questions! This community is the best! <3

• Like 14

Just to be clear, this poll was not done by Dean... I created it to see what the community wants. In fact, there is a new, currently unreleased poll which fixes all the issues of the previous 2.

For a sneak preview of the new poll, go to the following link.

I am still actively working on the poll, so if you fill it out now, your choices may be deleted.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dF9oMU81Ulh0NERiSUxzSWNNREQyYVE6MQ#gid=0

Edited by Grimzentide

Big help for us community members Smasht

Thankeeeee!

Man this will be sosososo amazing i like the idea of just building onto the game over time, dayz could go for years!

I'll laugh when Rocket goes to Everest and we'll be waiting for the standalone to be released...

go and play the game that shall not be named if you like it quick and unsatisfying....I would not mind if it comes out even in June..I will play (maybe mod) it for years..so talking about a few weeks seems really pointless...

go and play the game that shall not be named if you like it quick and unsatisfying....I would not mind if it comes out even in June..I will play (maybe mod) it for years..so talking about a few weeks seems really pointless...

Agreed, but I'm talking in general. Promises are promises, aren't they?

This time I prefer to watch the video :P

There aren't many (or are there any?) devs who do Q&A with streamers. This is just amazing!

• Like 1

Nice work smasht, thanks for taking the time to do it.

It's amazing that Dean decided to just jump in and give Shannon an interview many journalists would kill for... and even more amazing that she rose to the challenge and did a fecking awesome job.

Before this, Shannon was just a voice in the background of Sacriel's videos to me. Now I'm looking forward to more of her work.

Edited by RooBurger
  • Like 2

Q: Will default aiming stances change so you don't look so threatening when approaching players?

A: Yes, there is going to be a lot of work done to make sure you walk around with your weapon lowered or on your back or something like that and because of some of the changes to how first/third person works (you aren't going to be able to change between them as quickly as you can now. You're going have to go into your menu to change it) it means if you actually want to shoot someone (you now don't have a cross hair), your going to actually have to look down the scope at someone or look down the iron sights so yes, I think it's a key focus.

This has me worried. It sounds to me like crosshairs and third person is going to be less optional than it is now. It sounds like it will be the default mode of playing.

I really hope there will be servers where these things are disabled.

Having a glowing crosshair in the middle of the screen does not at all help with the immersion from my point of view.

Edited by smasht_AU
Update quote slightly to better reflect what Rocket said

Well it sounds like the crosshair has been removed entirely.

I'm interested in seeing if you can still aim down the sights while in third person mode though or if it will force you to either fire from the hip (with no crosshair) or change to first person via the menu so you can aim down the sights. I like that idea in theory but could see it becoming really frustrating having to switch via the menu each time so it could be too much.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

To me it sounds like there won't be crosshairs in the third person, so people will have to go into the options to change back, or just aim down the sights.

It it's true, it would really ruin the game for me.

Edited by Max Planck

I'm interested in seeing if you can still aim down the sights while in third person mode though or if it will force you to either fire from the hip (with no crosshair) or change to first person via the menu so you can aim down the sights. I like that idea in theory but could see it becoming really frustrating having to switch via the menu each time so it could be too much.

I'm not sure what you mean? I play on servers with crosshairs disabled and always have. If you're in 3rd person view, you right click once and it zooms in to your ironsight view, no need for menu switching. is that what you mean?

Edited by Fraggle

To me it sounds like there won't be crosshairs in the third person, so people will have to go into the options to change back, or just aim down the sights.

It it's true, it would really ruin the game for me.

crosshairs will be removed entirely but they will keep 3rd person view in the game. Without crosshairs people using 3rd person will have to switch to 1st person view if they want to aim and shoot properly. This will not work on the fly but by going into the options.....

I'm not sure what you mean? I play on servers with crosshairs disabled and always have. If you're in 3rd person view, you right click once and it zooms in to your ironsight view, no need for menu switching. is that what you mean?

Yes, I'm curious if aiming down the sights will still be possible while in third person mode (like it is in the mod, simply by right clicking), or if you will have to change to first person mode first (via a menu) and then aim down sights.

Edited by smasht_AU

I would doubt it considering the mechanic is already there to comfortably play in 3rd person and switch to ironsights. For me it gives you the best of both worlds so I hope that aspect doesn't change. I'm not sure why they would make it more clunky by removing that nice control set-up.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1