rocket

DayZ Devblog 25 Jan 2013

So long as you're talking real realism and not fake realism so that you would have to shoot several hundred rounds of ammo from that same gun in the same life in order to be able to hit that target from any range other than point blank. You die, and you get to train with that sniper for another hundred hours in game to hit anything far enough away to qualify as a precision sniper. I'm all for this realism you're talking about. Go to a gun range some time and watch a noob try to shoot a .45 at a target twenty feet away. Their bullet spread is measured in yards.

That's how it is in Arma. I can't hit with .45 or any other pistol well over 50m.

• Like 1

So long as you're talking real realism and not fake realism so that you would have to shoot several hundred rounds of ammo from that same gun in the same life in order to be able to hit that target from any range other than point blank. You die, and you get to train with that sniper for another hundred hours in game to hit anything far enough away to qualify as a precision sniper. I'm all for this realism you're talking about. Go to a gun range some time and watch a noob try to shoot a .45 at a target twenty feet away. Their bullet spread is measured in yards.

ive actually shot in ranges with lots of guns, up to 50m anyone can pretty much hit something (with any weapon and 10min training, and its harder on arma), up to 150m its not that hard (with assault guns or rifles, ive seen girls that held the gun for the first time do that), beyond that takes practice, except rifles with tripods, previously fine tuned scopes and no wind.

600 yards record with 45 pistol http://www.downrange...1-45-acp/17465/

wanna see someone do that in arma.

no such thing as yards on my country, and someone that cant hit a body target at 20 feet is retarded and afraid of the gun, i could do hat when i was 13 with tin cans

considering survivors after a while would have been separated by natural selection in such a harsh environment, most of them would be able to handle and have practiced with guns, so it would be realistic imho. but i say it should indeed be harder like on the ace mod with wind impacting rifles aswell. to me noone should be able to hit anything 300m+ so easily. but, since in arma everyones a soldier is understandable why it works like it does, so its dayz that must be tweaked.

Edited by white
  • Like 1

ive actually shot in ranges with lots of guns, up to 50m anyone can pretty much hit something (with any weapon and 10min training, and its harder on arma), up to 150m its not that hard (with assault guns or rifles, ive seen girls that held the gun for the first time do that), beyond that takes practice, except rifles with tripods, previously fine tuned scopes and no wind.

600 yards record with 45 pistol http://www.downrange...1-45-acp/17465/

wanna see someone do that in arma.

no such thing as yards on my country, and someone that cant hit a body target at 20 feet is retarded and afraid of the gun, i could do hat when i was 13 with tin cans

considering survivors after a while would have been separated by natural selection in such a harsh environment, most of them would be able to handle and have practiced with guns, so it would be realistic imho. but i say it should indeed be harder like on the ace mod with wind impacting rifles aswell. to me noone should be able to hit anything 300m+ so easily. but, since in arma everyones a soldier is understandable why it works like it does, so its dayz that must be tweaked.

Agreed. I've only been shooting once before but from what you've stated is pretty much true for me. I'm looking forward to guns hopefully doing the damage they use to. I hate having to put three mags of makarov rounds into someone to kill them and about a mag or two of .45

I just want the game to be released in its current form so I can get excited to play Dayz again by getting new patches each week. It is so boring playing Dayz mod because it is pretty much dead in terms of development.

This looks awesome! I can't wait for the next devblog update. Thank you guys so much!

Do all the female zombies have big breasts like the one pictured ? :-)

Hello guys

Question: Will we be able to create multiple characters? I really hope not... I think it should be like in the mod.

Wait?! What? Why not? I really missed this feature in the mod (for example, one char for lonewolfing and another for teamplay with friends). Well, then the private servers came and solved the problem, but that will not happen with SA (at least not in the beginning).

Wait?! What? Why not? I really missed this feature in the mod (for example, one char for lonewolfing and another for teamplay with friends). Well, then the private servers came and solved the problem, but that will not happen with SA (at least not in the beginning).

Tons of reasons why multiple characters on public servers is a bad idea. Look at WarZ for some examples.
  • Like 2

Worst person to comment never having played anything DayZ or even ARMA due to my PC coming out the Ark. (don’t worry new pc getting bought later in the year ready for the New Elite) But even I’m super excited about this game.

Have to say Twich has been a blessing, it lets us be part of the game without playing and very enjoyable.

So glad the Zombie spawn thing is just at the start and map wide rather than spawning when players are in the area. It’s a Tactic when moving I’ve noticed on Twich. “Right there is zombies someone is in town” To me that’s lke playing hide and seek and one of your mates not playing is standing pointing at you in the clear to give the game away.

Anything they can do to stop hackers is a bonus as so many games I’ve seen get ruined. One minutes everyone is excited and enjoying the map and game the next its all over.

Edited by sav112
  • Like 1

Tons of reasons why multiple characters on public servers is a bad idea. Look at WarZ for some examples.

Well, tell me. I have never played WarZ, I never really cared about it because I knew it is the scam since the announcement. I can imagine only one problem wih that, but it seems absurd. Edited by rancor1223

Well, tell me. I have never played WarZ, I never really cared about it because I knew it is the scam since the announcement. I can imagine only one problem wih that, but it seems absurd.

Well the main reason is that it opens up too many potential exploits. If you thought server hopping and loot farming was bad, try it with 5 different characters. Possibilities are endless really. To name a couple, put your characters into sniping and counter sniping locations. If someone kills you, just log in with your character on the other hill and take him down while he's looting your body.

Or say you're riding your motorbike fully geared and fail to spot a rock in front of you so you roll over, break your legs, get knocked out and then get finished by zombies (just an example, that didn't happen to me yesterday). Instead of having to walk all the way up to take your stuff back before someone else does, you could just log in with your nearest character and do it much quicker. You're basically at 5 or however many places at the same time.

Then there's humanity. If it is tied to a character rather than a CD key, the whole system becomes meaningless. You get "bored" of a bandit character, delete it and create a new hero character. Until you get bored again...

Edited by Rista
  • Like 5

looking good. the game does need some graphical improvements, looking forward for the new zombie spawn system, clothing and inventory. not having hackers will be a relief (been playing everyday on dif servers, and every single day a wild hacker appears)

would like vaulting/jumping over fences like in the smk mod, but would like 1 thing in particular a lot more:

guns to go back to the damage they used to have, with a 45 pistol not requiring a buttload of shots to kill someone, when in reality would just take 1 to the chest for someone to fall to the ground. isnt cool to give that 1 hit advantage solely for high precision snipers.

edit.: one more thing accually, i believe certain graphics settings should be stuck and not changeable, so all players see the same thing and are held to the same tactics. like on lower settings you pretty much can see ppl that try to hide on the grass rendering that tactic useless, and you can easily spot players far up the hills, whilst with high settings you cannot, especially if theyre using ghillie.

I agree with this but I think they should redesign the player damage to match real-life. For example if you get shot in the heart you will bleed out faster than getting shot in the foot.

Well the main reason is that it opens up too many potential exploits. If you thought server hopping and loot farming was bad, try it with 5 different characters. Possibilities are endless really. To name a couple, put your characters into sniping and counter sniping locations. If someone kills you, just log in with your character on the other hill and take him down while he's looting your body.

Or say you're riding your motorbike fully geared and fail to spot a rock in front of you so you roll over, break your legs, get knocked out and then get finished by zombies (just an example, that didn't happen to me yesterday). Instead of having to walk all the way up to take your stuff back before someone else does, you could just log in with your nearest character and do it much quicker. You're basically at 5 or however many places at the same time.

Then there's humanity. If it is tied to a character rather than a CD key, the whole system becomes meaningless. You get "bored" of a bandit character, delete it and create a new hero character. Until you get bored again...

Exactly. Multiple characters is a terrible idea, it will destroy the connection you have with your character.

Agreed. I've only been shooting once before but from what you've stated is pretty much true for me. I'm looking forward to guns hopefully doing the damage they use to. I hate having to put three mags of makarov rounds into someone to kill them and about a mag or two of .45

that all got f-ed up with that arma update. the pistols used to be more effective

Well to be honest, I think the uncontrollable sway after running is bullshit. I've sprinted for extended periods of time and hiked for miles (in separate instances) and was still able to hit man-sized targets at 100-200m unsupported and supported, much less sub 100m. And I'm not even in tip-top shape. I think the original ARMA 2 team went -way- overboard in that aspect. The damage is fair in my mind against players at least, zombies need to get dropped a lot easier and do more damage (a la DayZ+).

But the sway when firing after running is way over the top in Day Z. Feel free to disagree, just my opinion.

EDIT - Or rather, in the way they executed it. My aim and sight picture doesn't jump around absolutely randomly, it follows a set sway given my by arms and breath, it doesn't jump around randomly like there's someone tugging on a string at the muzzle.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

Well to be honest, I think the uncontrollable sway after running is bullshit. I've sprinted for extended periods of time and hiked for miles (in separate instances) and was still able to hit man-sized targets at 100-200m unsupported and supported, much less sub 100m. And I'm not even in tip-top shape. I think the original ARMA 2 team went -way- overboard in that aspect....

Maybe it is not the best example but is quite obvious... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YDbOKjbkHU&list=ELfpuR-B57338&index=13

Edited by ICO_hr

zombies always spawned... :rolleyes: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

quantity and condition of your magazines. :thumbsup:

Nice pics and infos.

I skimmed through it (as it's a 16 minute video of a person I loathe, i.e. FPSRussia). Not sure what it's being used to demonstrate?

They run and after that shoot static targets.Almost all of them missed the first and second shots and they didnt start shooting right after taking the gun, they need to load it first, thats give them extra time to rest.Yes the gun didnt sway that mutch in real life but you need some kind of feedback to show that your virtual soldier is tired.Without it will be quite confusing when your gun is steady and your bullets hit everything but the target.These guys in the video run around 100meters and shoot targets half the distance maybe less and they shoоt really slow, on top of that they missed alot.My point is that in-game you need that exaggerated sway for player feedback to know when and under what circumstances you can shoot with the best posibble accuracy.Alot of things in games even in sim games are deliberately exaggerated because you need feedback for almost everything that happens around you.

I think in Arma this is very well build.Its not quite realistic and maybe need little polish but gives you the feeling that these poligons are really alive.It need to be that way until someone invent real holodeck or something. :)

• Like 2

Changes are looking great and the hints to the directions the dev team is taking is awesome! have ALL my beans!

zombies always spawned... :rolleyes: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

quantity and condition of your magazines. :thumbsup:

Nice pics and infos.

You're missing the point (or I'm missing the point of your post :)). Currently zombie spawns are activated by player vicinity meaning you can easily tell from i distance where players are. If the zeds are already spawned by default you will have no idea if a player is in the area. It's actually quite a big change in terms of gameplay.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 5

You're missing the point (or I'm missing the point of your post :)). Currently zombie spawns are activated by player vicinity meaning you can easily tell from i distance where players are. If the zeds are already spawned by default you will have no idea if a player is in the area. It's actually quite a big change in terms of gameplay.

but vice versa...if there are no zeds.. :D ??? Spawnpoints should be not always the same !

but vice versa...if there are no zeds.. :D ??? Spawnpoints should be not always the same !

not sure if trolling or... anyway!

if there are no zeds it means you can easily pillage the village/compound with little effort and no risks, since no players are near, you still should be fast in doing so

and that is sad at the moment, this is the biggest improvement imho, actually it's even worst when you're in a vehicle since nothing spawns at all until you leave it :\

if i don't recall wrong was the zombie spawn range 250 meters?

i recall using my binocular and rangefinder to scout the area and to eventually know if i was the one that spawned zombies or another player.. sad as hell,

also the fact that zombies always spawing sticky to each other is another easy way to know if you are alone or not.

Edited by torokfremen