rocket

Devblog update: Where is the Standalone?

Stand will be optimized for better framerates?

It already has been, but they are most likely going to slow it down by putting more content in its place.

In real life, when you were a little kid, did you ever mistake someone else to be your mom? Now, when you are running around with assault rifles in a post-apocalyptic world, drugged up on adrenaline and morphine, you don't think you will have any problem recognizing a friend? Or are our characters tripping balls so bad that they see glowing, translucent dots or letters floating in mid air. That wouldn't make sense now would it?

wtf are you talking about nerd.

im talking about a game not fking real life

we clearly dont need bad trolls like u in this forum.

its not iraq here its a videogame

Edited by monkza

you guys dont get my point about friends clan play...

i just want a way that you know that its ur friend right in front of you.... like a red dot or a green name....

and not spawn in front of them but when both of ur char are starting up u can spawn near ur friends in south but when ur char is like is nwairfield already full geared and not ur friend well too bad but u could still see ur friend far away with his green name or something because sometimes its annoying as hell

I think the Devs plan on adding some sort of clan colours at some stage - possibly coloured armbands for people to differentiate their clan members.

I think that's all the help you are going to get. Little green and red dots? I don't think so.

It already has been, but they are most likely going to slow it down by putting more content in its place.

I don't understand what u said...

wtf are you talking about nerd.

1. I used a couple big words, don't get angry. That's what Google is here for.

im talking about a game not fking real life

2. Yes, it's a game, but it is also a survival simulator. I don't need my hand held in a video game. Why do we have to have dots over people's name's or their nametags in flashy colors? Do you think that they have that in real life? Absolutely not. I feel that the dots that they already have in Arma II would break the feeling of survival in the game.

we clearly dont need bad trolls like u in this forum.

3. I have no idea what you just said... we do, or don't? I feel like my words may sound trollish, but I usually get my points out through sarcasm. If you read my original post, everything is relevant to my opinion, just with humor added.

its not iraq here its a videogame

4. Yep... But wouldn't it be so much more fun to play a survival simulator than to have a PvP Deathmatch? I feel that you just want to twist this game into what the general public thinks is 'fun.' CoD isn't for me, that's why I'm here.

Edited by BeastOverlord
  • Like 6

I think the Devs plan on adding some sort of clan colours at some stage - possibly coloured armbands for people to differentiate their clan members.

I think that's all the help you are going to get. Little green and red dots? I don't think so.

well armbands thats kinda weak. unless u can edit the clan tag in ur back so people can see it from some distance ya maybe.

I don't understand what u said...

Yes. There IS a higher framerate currently for the DayZ SA, or at least this is what it sounds like from the interviews. It will probably be slowed back down to where it is though by adding more zombies, better graphics, or more players per map though. So it will most likely be the same as it is currently.

1. I used a couple big words, don't get angry. That's what Google is here for.

2. Yes, it's a game, but it is also a survival simulator. I don't need my hand held in a video game. Why do we have to have dots over people's name's or their nametags in flashy colors? Do you think that they have that in real life? Absolutely not. I feel that the dots that they already have in Arma II would break the feeling of survival in the game.

3. I have no idea what you just said... we do, or don't? I feel like my words may sound trollish, but I usually get my points out through sarcasm. If you read my original post, everything is relevant to my opinion, just with humor added.

Yep... But wouldn't it be so much more fun to play a survival simulator than to have a PvP Deathmatch? I feel that you just want to twist this game into what the general public thinks is 'fun.' CoD isn't for me, that's why I'm here.

1- im glad you can use google. im proud of you

2- ya its a zombie simulator btw zombies dont exist i know its cool to be super serious and Xtreme like darksouls tryhard mod but its still a videogame all i want its a way to play with my friends and no to start in kamenka and my friend at the east coast. like i said to groover some clan tag in ur back would be ok.

3- you obv dont have the humour i have u talked like i was a retard playing with invisible guns with my mom back in days....

4- ya its a survival realism game but still. when u play farming simulator or flight simulator its still not 100% serious. i also want to have fun thats the point to play a videogame still.

dont know if u get my points.

Yes. There IS a higher framerate currently for the DayZ SA, or at least this is what it sounds like from the interviews. It will probably be slowed back down to where it is though by adding more zombies, better graphics, or more players per map though. So it will most likely be the same as it is currently.

So... it will sucks... DayZ very lagging at high pc's

2- ya its a zombie simulator btw zombies dont exist i know its cool to be super serious and Xtreme like darksouls tryhard mod but its still a videogame all i want its a way to play with my friends and no to start in kamenka and my friend at the east coast. like i said to groover some clan tag in ur back would be ok.

3- you obv dont have the humour i have u talked like i was a retard playing with invisible guns with my mom back in days....

4- ya its a survival realism game but still. when u play farming simulator or flight simulator its still not 100% serious. i also want to have fun thats the point to play a videogame still.

Woah woah woah, let's not turn this into a flame war or anything.

1. I was telling YOU to use Google. If you didn't understand what I was saying, I was implying that you could use Google to find synonyms for some of the bigger words I used.

2. It is an INFECTION simulator. There has already been a 12 page paper written by Rocket's brother, who is a virologist, on how this could be a realistic thing

I have no idea what you just said... I'm sorry if English isn't your first language.

4. But why would it be fun if the game holds your hand?

• Like 2

You're being completely ridiculous. He disagreed with your opinion and presented his own in a respectable manner. Why must you resort to name calling and hostilities?

• Like 1

Calm down guys... Demon already said that Rocket mentioned armbands for clans/friends, but there will be also clothes customization, so you and your friends can all wear the same clothes or whatever.

The only reason why IRL people are able to identify others is because of visual aspects, or voice. DayZ Mod had little to none variants in this regard, while the SA is probably gonna work this out.

Yes it will probably not be able to identify your friends if they are using guillie suits (maybe if the armband goes on top), or if they are too far away and you don't have a scope/binoculars to check him. But this is good because it will slow down KOS.

And about voice identification, if and when walkie-talkies are implemented (which I guess will, since Rocket listens to the community for suggestions) you and your friends can use a specific frequency to communicate. Yeah first you'll have to FIND a radio, but that is another challenge that immerses you.

And if you use any TS program, identifying your friends was never a problem anyway. You can rendezvous anywhere and give visual indications that you are who you are.

I think the fact a lot of people are missing is that this mod was not designed to be helpful, or friendly, or even fun. That was what drew people into the mod - it was hard, brutal and completely different to anything else.

Authenticity was the name of the game, not realism. We know zombies aren't real, but that's a non issue, and the number of times this is brought up to illustrate a point is quite tedious.

Finding your friends shouldn't be easy. Nothing in DayZ should be easy. It is supposed to be the apocalypse and there are fucking zombies everywhere! Quite why there should be a mechanic in place so players can find their buddies and sing Kumbayah around a campfire is beyond me.

Play with your friends by all means, but don't complain you have to travel for 30mins to catch up with them just because you died. Try harder not to die. Play more cautiously. The number of times i see obvious clan members running around as if they are immune from snipers is amazing.

As said, there probably will be a mechanic put in place so friends can spot each other (clothing) but it has to be in the realms of possibility, not some magical arrow pointing the way.

There you go rant over.

Can we keep this civil please, there isn't a need for name calling? I'm too old for that shit!

Also a lot of these discussions should probably go here:

http://dayzmod.com/f...one +discussion

Edited by DemonGroover
  • Like 19

But why would it be fun if the game holds your hand?

I don't know man I've logged about 200 hours on Dora the Explorer: Island Adventure and it is easily 9/10.

It would be 10/10 but I always get stuck when Dora tells me to point to the tree. Let's be practical do they really expect me to do that? I barely got past the rock.

• Like 3

In real life, when you were a little kid, did you ever mistake someone else to be your mom? Now, when you are running around with assault rifles in a post-apocalyptic world, drugged up on adrenaline and morphine, you don't think you will have any problem recognizing a friend? Or are our characters tripping balls so bad that they see glowing, translucent dots or letters floating in mid air. That wouldn't make sense now would it?

yeah, but to be fair I can recognize people I know 'in real life' way easier than in game. I definitely don't tell my friends in real life to lean left and right so I know it's them :P

Jack Frags talked about more customization and/or a 'handshake' system:

The handshake he suggests falls on the "icon floating" problem we discussed above.

SOOOO much debate in here is about stuff that you can already do in the mod or has been announced for the SA...

For clans... everyone have the same skin, yes this gets ruined by guille's but shit if you can't remember what gun your buddies are carrying then play on regular servers and use clan tags so you do see their name over their head...

Same goes for lots of complaints about death messages, play on veteran or expert servers, there are lots of custom configured servers out there that have no death messages but allow 3rd person.. or remove waypoints... I think if people spent some more time finding servers that fit their wants and needs they'd find a lot of this is already out there.

As for the frame rates The engine and server side are both improved so even with a LOT more objects it should still run MUCH faster... DL the helicopter game the engine is based on and see what you get there..

Also folks should try to be sure they're posting these suggestions in the suggestions thread.

Excited to hear more about the SA in this thread lol.

Clan play is already vastly overpowered, because you're connected on teamspeak, skype, ventrilo or mumble. You can easily pick each other up in vehicles, transport new guys to your camp, where DMRs, ghillie suits and NVGs await him. You'll win lots of fire fights, if someone dies, you can pick up their best gear or camp the corpses, until he returns.

I can't imagine a group respawn and name tags is simply a question of difficulty.

It's pretty easy to ID people, if your teammates are competent communicators and always are on an external voice coms. Our team of three people, meet another group of five, dressed as randomly as us. One were dressed as hero with an Enfield like me, but because I broadcasted my exact location, it only took a seconds hesitation, before my team member dropped him.

• Like 1

With the introduction of a vast amount of clothing (eventually) being added, and future ability to customise our characters (at the very least, head/skin) in stand alone, should that not be enough for clan members?

From my understanding, ghillie suits/military outfits will be a lot more rarer, and civilian clothing being more common. Not to mention, different pieces of clothing will have lots of different advantages and cons, so people SHOULD be looking different... Given we have enough options, and those options have plenty of variant advantages and cons

the game doesn't need any "buddy-up" mechanics. group-play ruins gameplay enough as it is, they shouldn't receive any additional bonuses on top of all the advantages they already have. besides part of playing as a group is coordinating well and communicating. if you can't recognize your teammates then you're simply not coherent enough.

i for one enjoy taking potshots at random groups and watching them scramble around each other like chickens because they have terrible coordination. a couple of times they ended up shooting each other, too.

• Like 4

Rocket's twitter today hyped me up so much about clothing. I hope they have some working things soon.

@NonovUrbizniz

I think the discussions in this thread atm are actually not about game mechanics and details but about a conflict between different kind of playstyles. and preferences....

Rocket's twitter today hyped me up so much about clothing. I hope they have some working things soon.

For those interested;

With the excitement, nearly forgot Jirka showed me his work with clothing today. #VeryAlpha, but awesome! No more running in only underwear!
#VeryMuchAlpha - is a *complete* departure from the engine. Revolutionary. It's beauty is in code (for now!)
  • Like 5