griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

A very VERY reliable source told me the game will be released when you see it available on steam. :P

Other than that, there is no set release date. :)

Thank god this isn't another useless thread about complaining about the release date.

Standalone is in closed alpha testing, so the release date is relative. They're going to open up the test to streamers, and then the general public after that, and they haven't got the streamers in yet, so that might give you an idea. From what I think, is they're going to be fixing the major game breaking bugs, things that alpha testers catch, and balancing the game out to what it is meant to be, in case they've got something wrong.

It depends how fast they work and how much they've got to fix. I'd say a month or two and it'll be out.

Here's what you get if you buy ArmA 2, now:

-ArmA 2, with campaign missions, and ability to run various entertaining mods, but lose support for most of these mods when ArmA 3 comes out, as well as most of the community.

-Ability to run alpha DayZ MOD, full of bugs, hackers, bandits and trolls.

If you wait:

-A full game, optimized for your PC with a fresh community

-A few hackers, hacks not being game-breaking as much

-Full support for the game and frequent updates

-Better features

I would wait. Make your first DayZ experience count. YOU ONLY GET TO HAVE YOUR FIRST TIME ONCE, so make it count, and make it memorable!!!! I'd wait so you can experience the awesomeness of the full-game. You have that luxury with the SA being pretty close to release.

But the date isn't announced, because I'm thinking they'll only announce the full-game true release, not the alpha or beta. When that happens, it'll probably have a thread on announcements titled "Devblog Update: So Yeah..."

Inside:

The alpha for the standalone is here now... so... uh... go nuts....

one thing will the standalone have lower specs requirments then Arma 2 has ??

A lot of people will say yes, I bought it a while ago just to play DayZ (and that was when Standalone had a December Release date). If you want to play soon/now then yes. There's suppose to be a Devblog update on monday but since their still doing closed internal testing and haven't started closed external testing I'd say were AT LEAST a month away from a release if everything goes VERY smoothly. I've yet to play vanilla Arma outside of the bootcamp and training missions, but might be worth getting now just to get used to, if your short on cash might want to wait for a bit.

No one knows for sure but Rocket has stated that if you can run the mod, you'll be able to run the SA. They are improving performance but we don't know how much of that optimization will be used up with new features/visuals/yada yada yada.

There is going to be a new dev update on Monday. I wonder what He'll be telling us.

Gee man, its only a few bucks (less than an hours work)

Why not get it and get used to the engine?

So many different things you can do in arma, play different mods, make missions, Plenty of tuts to learn from.

Money well spent =)

No, specs and optimization are two different things. DayZ will have less things the AI need to know, so that clutter is cleaned up and the game goes faster. The game will support what DayZ puts it through, such as loot spawning, car repairing, looting, zombies spawning and zombie actions, ect, making for better performance because the game is now meant to do that.

I'm not really an expert on optimization, so I don't feel I've covered everything on it, but that's a basic overview. I don't believe I'm necessarily wrong in any way, but if someone wants to add on it, go ahead.

Edited by Neko-san

From what we have heard the specs will be similar or close in the final product.

Lots has been stripped away, but they are adding lots too.

What Rocket Giveth with one hand, he Taketh away with the other.

L

• Like 3

In ArmA 2 DayZ you have something called "Local Zombies" where the Zombie AI is running on your PC and the server is updated from your local session and re-transmits this to other clients.

In the DayZ SA the zombies will be running on the server side. This will put more strain on the server end but your PC will not have to deal with simulation and that will leave some cycles for other things, such as rendering. (higher FPS)

And DayZ SA will not have to deal with all the stuff ArmA 2 does that isn't needed for DayZ as others have pointed out. It will be slimmed down to only deal with DayZ related stuff and that will free up cycles both client and serverside.

But then you add some of the new features present in TkoH. More graphics settings etc, these will put a higher strain on your GPU and due to the necessary cooperation between the CPU and GPU you may find that it affects your overall game performance.

Mind you, with the settings i have in TkoH i get higher FPS on average than i get in ArmA 2, even though i fly with a 7.5 km view distance!

Try running ArmA 2 (not DayZ, it's not going to allow you to) with a 7.5 km view distance and observe as your FPS goes down the drain.

Rocket has said that it's optimized, but the graphic upgrades compensate that, so it will run smoother but you wont be running the game at any higher settings.

A very VERY reliable source told me the game will be released when you see it available on steam. :P

Other than that, there is no set release date. :)

well there is 3 new dayz community groups on STEAM according to SMASHT_AU http://dayzmod.com/f...-steam/ just not sure if its legit.

Edited by exogravis

^ they are legit

this weeks got vids and alpha all over it

^ they are legit

this weeks got vids and alpha all over it

Hahaha! Getting riled up? We've all been down that road. :)

^ furk yeah whats wrong with being riled up?

just don't let yourself get let down, have fun with it!

rather be pumped then preparing myself for a letdown

There is no story, it's YOUR story.

I agree that this is one of things which made dayz great but this is also one of things why a lot of ppl dont play anymore. Afther 50-100 hours game become uninterestring. You tried everything and there is nothing else to do, nothing new to do. Than if you dont found group of ppl to play together there no point playing at all. Alone you cant do anything in DayZ. PvP dont give you chance becouse there is allways few teams which roams and KoS.

I think they implement those new things to give reason to "single players" in MP to have more things to do. They wont to give them more hours of not repetitive gameplay. Something wich will keep players online and allow others to enjoy also. Maybe i am wrong but looks like they need to do something like that. WarZ is very good example, afther you travel trough map you come to conclusion that most interestring thing is to kill ppl and nothing else. Same as DayZ today, inst it ?

blablabla I agree that this is one of things which made dayz great but this is also one of things why a lot of ppl dont play anymore. Afther 50-100 hours game become uninterestring. You tried everything and there is nothing else to do, nothing new to do. Than if you dont found group of ppl to play together there no point playing at all. Alone you cant do anything in DayZ. PvP dont give you chance becouse there is allways few teams which roams and KoS.

I think they implement those new things to give reason to "single players" in MP to have more things to do. They wont to give them more hours of not repetitive gameplay. Something wich will keep players online and allow others to enjoy also. Maybe i am wrong but looks like they need to do something like that. gay is very good example, afther you travel trough map you come to conclusion that most interestring thing is to kill ppl and nothing else. Same as DayZ today, inst it ?

blablabla

u mad, download dayz commander and try out new maps and mods!

oh and you can't spell that word in this thread!

AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS

Edited by torokfremen
  • Like 1

From what we have heard the specs will be similar or close in the final product.

Lots has been stripped away, but they are adding lots too.

What Rocket Giveth with one hand, he Taketh away with the other.

L

I see him. Raketa give me beans, I happy.

But Raketa take life after. And beans

• Like 1

Are we getting weekly updates now? Would be nice to see weekly updates.

here's hoping for a DEV blog Friday.

That's the idea, don't know if they have settled on a day though.

I wouldn't count on it this Friday (hope i'm wrong) but i think Rocket and Matt are still sleeping after their marathon effort getting the video out last Monday.

hopin the zombie no clipping will be addressed in the standalone. was on the origins taviana map sitting in the grocery store when a zombie sneaks up on me ... i take it down with an enfield and zombies started coming through the walls

Edited by exogravis

hopin the zombie no clipping will be addressed in the standalone. was on the origins taviana map sitting in the grocery store when a zombie sneaks up on me ... i take it down with an enfield and zombies started coming through the walls

I am sure this is very high on the priority list. No released game will be accepted if the antagonists can punch through walls.

I am sure this is very high on the priority list. No released game will be accepted if the antagonists can punch through walls.

*cough* Resistance (augers) *cough* *ahem*

What?

I feel that 3rd person is what makes an MMO an MMO. Not just a bobbling wavy first person shooter.

3rd person adds more detail to say ... this is my toon, im controlling this toon and i want to see it from a birds eye view perspective.

just saying that most mmo's have 3rd person. i just like the puppeteer feel. I feel too restricted in FP. Gives me a feeling of closterfobia.

Dayz/arma is not a MMO... It's a FPS with multiplayer.