griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

It matters because it shows proper planning, and that they are creating deadlines for projects to be finished so that they release it on their actual release date. Instead of the completely unprofessional.. "Yeah, we're not gonna be able to make that end of 2012 release... and we're not sure when we're releasing it... Oh, and by the way... Should we remove cross hairs? We're still not sure what we're really doing with this game."

I'm sure they've set themselves many strict deadlines internally. Making us aware of these internal deadlines won't achieve anything apart from upsetting people if they fail to reach one or things change.

You see asking the community for their opinion as unprofessional and unfocussed, I see it as encouraging and refreshing. I guess we'll never agree then. It doesn't really change anything though, you're still just gonna have to wait.

• Like 1

I'm sure they've set themselves many strict deadlines internally. Making us aware of these internal deadlines won't achieve anything apart from upsetting people if they fail to reach one or things change.

You see asking the community for their opinion as unprofessional and unfocussed, I see it as encouraging and refreshing. I guess we'll never agree then. It doesn't really change anything though, you're still just gonna have to wait.

No one is asking to know about their deadlines, all I am saying is that giving people a "release date" shows that they are making internal deadlines and goals that must be met/reached before said release date.

These are "industry professionals" and not amateurs like Draxx down there, this isn't their first game and they should know by now how to quickly resolve or prevent issues.

Furthermore, anyone who sits there and says "Let them finish it so that it will be a great product" Stop being dillusional. The game, when released, will not be a finished product all I am saying is where is the product we were promised end of 2012, and now "who knows" per 2013.

I do not understand the impatience of some players in here - we can play DayZ (or DayZ+, DayZ2017 and so on) as a mod right now. So there is something you can do while you wait for the SA.

I hate it, if ppl are complaining about realease dates and the work of the devs - they are trying their best. So please, just wait for them to finish.

You sure you don't have some rocket ass on those lips? The replayability of Day Z, and it's maps and counterparts is hardly anything to hold one over. Remember how we were told that the mod would be updated and improved upon as the Standalone progressed? One update and no real changes in all that time, except removing weapons that you whiney forum members cry over.

Don't confuse me questioning the Development team and their lack of proper planning with complaining. Day Z has been in development for quite some time, and we aren't recieving a completely finished product when it does release (we all know that). They are also not building a game from the ground up, some things may have been removed or new features built from the ground up but the entire game has not been.

Like I said, the thing that bothers me most is Rocket was convinced he'd meet his end of 2012 deadline which showed that the game was progressing towards completion/confidence in that date. Fast forward a month and now the status of the game is "who knows". Though before anyone chimes in with "but they are redesigning everything" comments... EVERYTHING they are doing to the game is pretty much was was promised months ago.

I know it's hard for forum members to accept anything but praise for Rocket, but I think he needs a little criticism.

If it was rushed, we face some issues that drove away gamers with the mod. No-one wants that again (Glitches / hackers / zig zaggin infected etc)

take a long time, get it right, then get it out. the longer it takes the better, there is no threat and no similar games coming out like DayZ. In fact the best thing like It are modifications from the Mod.

This is the general consensus from the forum. I'm glad so many people blindly think as you do. The game will have glitches, will have hackers, and will have issues. Let me know when a game that comes out, that doesn't experience any of those issues.

Hello there

In some respects you are correct. Rocket is not a god or godlike figure and the dev team do need to hear feedback that is not always fun to hear.

But I still fail to your utter need to have a deadline date. Did not other well respected companies say the terms "when it's done" or "soon"?

They're still doing well afaik.

It would be nice to have a definitive date, but I'm afraid I fall into the "I'd rather have it when it's ready" camp.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
punctuation.

No one is asking to know about their deadlines, all I am saying is that giving people a "release date" shows that they are making internal deadlines and goals that must be met/reached before said release date.

These are "industry professionals" and not amateurs like Draxx down there, this isn't their first game and they should know by now how to quickly resolve or prevent issues.

Furthermore, anyone who sits there and says "Let them finish it so that it will be a great product" Stop being dillusional. The game, when released, will not be a finished product all I am saying is where is the product we were promised end of 2012, and now "who knows" per 2013.

You sure you don't have some rocket ass on those lips? The replayability of Day Z, and it's maps and counterparts is hardly anything to hold one over. Remember how we were told that the mod would be updated and improved upon as the Standalone progressed? One update and no real changes in all that time, except removing weapons that you whiney forum members cry over.

Don't confuse me questioning the Development team and their lack of proper planning with complaining. Day Z has been in development for quite some time, and we aren't recieving a completely finished product when it does release (we all know that). They are also not building a game from the ground up, some things may have been removed or new features built from the ground up but the entire game has not been.

Like I said, the thing that bothers me most is Rocket was convinced he'd meet his end of 2012 deadline which showed that the game was progressing towards completion/confidence in that date. Fast forward a month and now the status of the game is "who knows". Though before anyone chimes in with "but they are redesigning everything" comments... EVERYTHING they are doing to the game is pretty much was was promised months ago.

Ok, then think of me as an amateur. It is ok. I am not here to talk about my position and experience.

But you are quite the kind of user I was referring to. Whining and bitching around. Exactly that is the reason why there are no definite release dates. Then guys like you come crawling out and cry: "all I am saying is that giving people a "release date"" and "we were promised end of 2012, and now "who knows" per 2013".

Let them do their work - it is done, when it's done. Do you think they planned the issue they have right now? If they have to redesign something then they have to do it for a reason. If you give the community a release date it always backfires if you cannot hold it. But I have to say I am always surprised how stubborn some people are. It is YOUR right to get answers - because it is YOUR right to play the game as it was announced and those lame devs should work 24/7 for YOU! Because, those damn devs do not realize that the world is spinning around you - you, the middle of the universe. And if there are problems, it is not your issue! You want to have a release date, you want a functioning game,you want...you want...

Little boy, you have to wait. 'Nuff said!

Ok, then think of me as an amateur. It is ok. I am not here to talk about my position and experience.

But you are quite the kind of user I was referring to. Whining and bitching around. Exactly that is the reason why there are no definite release dates. Then guys like you come crawling out and cry: "all I am saying is that giving people a "release date"" and "we were promised end of 2012, and now "who knows" per 2013".

Let them do their work - it is done, when it's done. Do you think they planned the issue they have right now? If they have to redesign something then they have to do it for a reason. If you give the community a release date it always backfires if you cannot hold it. But I have to say I am always surprised how stubborn some people are. It is YOUR right to get answers - because it is YOUR right to play the game as it was announced and those lame devs should work 24/7 for YOU! Because, those damn devs do not realize that the world is spinning around you - you, the middle of the universe. And if there are problems, it is not your issue! You want to have a release date, you want a functioning game,you want...you want...

Little boy, you have to wait. 'Nuff said!

No, it is not about me at all. It is about being a professional. Something that clearly lacks in many ways today. There are issues that arrise in ANYTHING in this world. If I had my car painted, you think I just drop it off and the guy says "when it's done it's done?" No. He gives me a date when it should be done. In his "date" he already anticipated having issues, incase he ran out of materials, extended prep work, etc. That is what proper planning is all about. If I had an addition onto my house, I am given a date. There might be issues with permits, or weather... but those things are all accounted for in proper planning.

Do you see where I am getting at? Probably not.

If you plan properly you will not fail, because you give yourself time for "oopsies". They might think the game will be ready by March, but have a release date of mid-April just incase. If they finish early that gives them time to do things like extra internal testing, media, and so forth.

What you again fail to realize is that no matter when they release the game it will not be a finished product. Whether they give it to us now, or 6 months from now it will still be unfinished.

No, it is not about me at all. It is about being a professional. Something that clearly lacks in many ways today. There are issues that arrise in ANYTHING in this world. If I had my car painted, you think I just drop it off and the guy says "when it's done it's done?" No. He gives me a date when it should be done. In his "date" he already anticipated having issues, incase he ran out of materials, extended prep work, etc. That is what proper planning is all about. If I had an addition onto my house, I am given a date. There might be issues with permits, or weather... but those things are all accounted for in proper planning.

Do you see where I am getting at? Probably not.

If you plan properly you will not fail, because you give yourself time for "oopsies". They might think the game will be ready by March, but have a release date of mid-April just incase. If they finish early that gives them time to do things like extra internal testing, media, and so forth.

What you again fail to realize is that no matter when they release the game it will not be a finished product. Whether they give it to us now, or 6 months from now it will still be unfinished.

Ok, you are compairing a car that should be painted with a software project??? Srsly? Or an addon for your house? OMFG. You have really no clue what it is meant to create a game. Of course are there internal deadlines, as well as an internal release date. But I will try to stick with your examples:

The addon for your house: During the work at your home, one of the workers is ripping a huge hole in the main waterpipe. The complete house is under water. So everything has to be renovated. This can take months - but you are crying to the workers: Mimimi, you promised me to end the addon at date X - you have to hold this date :(

You are behaving like a 12 year old kid (to be honest, I do not think you are older, because your lack of knowledge and your closed-minded behaviour). It can always happen something completely unexpected. I completely understand that we will get a game in alpha state, but nevertheless, you have to have the basics, and if there is something wrong you cannot release it. That is the problem of your understanding: If the Zeds do not move - guys like you come instantly into the forums and rant. So, grow up and learn to be a little more patient.

You should inform yourself about the gaming/software industry before you come here with your childish examples like car paintings or house addons. This are completely different industries. But you will learn about those things when you get older.

Edited by Draxx

Wanting a "release date" is a far cry from complaining compared to the endless threads of... "Lets get rid of 3rd person... waaah why is there no humanity indicator... waaah I need bandit skins so I can tell who is good/bad... waaahh as50 is too powerful that big bullet kills me in one shot... waaaah L85A1 needs to be removed because 99% of the people don't play on night servers anyway... waaaaah"

Also, having a release date has nothing to do with patience. I don't recall ever saying. "I want the game right now." I just want to know when the Developers have effectively planned its release. You know, goes back to proper planning ... I don't know everything that goes into making a game, but they do. So they should know how long it takes to make X Y Z work and have the game ready to hit shelves.

Well they aren't going to tell you until they know for sure because last time they planned a date and missed it, lots of people got upset with them. You're just going to have to deal with that even if you think it's unprofessional.

Edited by smasht_AU
  • Like 1

Today at work developers working on a project gave myself and a few other staff members a closed demonstration of the product which is currently in alpha build.

I was so excited with what they have already accomplished I inquired about the realease date.

Looking a bit perplexed they told me they did not know but assured me they were working hard and it would be released soon.

I immidately began stomping my feet and waving my arms lecturing the developers about how unprofessional they are for giving me this demonstration without any release date in mind. I mean honestly how could they not have a release date in mind yet they are already showing this product? Such unprofessionalism should not be allowed and they should all clearly be fired.

I work for a fortune 500 company and parts of this story are true other parts have been exaggerated to prove a point.

• Like 3

Wanting a "release date" is a far cry from complaining compared to the endless threads of... "Lets get rid of 3rd person... waaah why is there no humanity indicator... waaah I need bandit skins so I can tell who is good/bad... waaahh as50 is too powerful that big bullet kills me in one shot... waaaah L85A1 needs to be removed because 99% of the people don't play on night servers anyway... waaaaah"

Also, having a release date has nothing to do with patience. I don't recall ever saying. "I want the game right now." I just want to know when the Developers have effectively planned its release. You know, goes back to proper planning ... I don't know everything that goes into making a game, but they do. So they should know how long it takes to make X Y Z work and have the game ready to hit shelves.

Yep, and when they give out a release date (like they did, but they could not hold it) - people like you are complaining about the delay. They said it will be ready in 2013. So there you go. That is your release date. But I am sure, that is not enough for you. You demand to get a date, a month, a day, and the exact time when it will be available. Am I right?

• Like 1

Ok, you are compairing a car that should be painted with a software project??? Srsly? Or an addon for your house? OMFG. You have really no clue what it is meant to create a game. Of course are there internal deadlines, as well as an internal release date. But I will try to stick with your examples:

The addon for your house: During the work at your home, one of the workers is ripping a huge hole in the main waterpipe. The complete house is under water. So everything has to be renovated. This can take months - but you are crying to the workers: Mimimi, you promised me to end the addon at date X - you have to hold this date :(

You are behaving like a 12 year old kid (to be honest, I do not think you are older, because your lack of knowledge and your closed-minded behaviour). It can always happen something completely unexpected. I completely understand that we will get a game in alpha state, but nevertheless, you have to have the basics, and if there is something wrong you cannot release it. That is the problem of your understanding: If the Zeds do not move - guys like you come instantly into the forums and rant. So, grow up and learn to be a little more patient.

You should inform yourself about the gaming/software industry before you come here with your childish examples like car paintings or house addons. This are completely different industries. But you will learn about those things when you get older.

Yes I am comparing having a professional painter paint my car, and a professional game designer design a game. It is apples to apples. They may not be the "same" thing, but it is still a professional doing their job. They know what needs to be done and how long it takes to do it. That is the point but obviously you're too stupid to understand that.

There is always the inevitable, but someone that is adding an addition to your house isn't going to experience some job-stopping catastrophe every single time. So they can effectively give an estimate regardless. Good try though.

In any case, dealing with "software" you are more in control of issues than any of the examples because you are the ones writing the software.

This is the general consensus from the forum. I'm glad so many people blindly think as you do. The game will have glitches, will have hackers, and will have issues. Let me know when a game that comes out, that doesn't experience any of those issues.

Read it again m8, I'll make bold the if.

Context.

Yes I am comparing having a professional painter paint my car, and a professional game designer design a game. It is apples to apples. They may not be the "same" thing, but it is still a professional doing their job. They know what needs to be done and how long it takes to do it. That is the point but obviously you're too stupid to understand that.

There is always the inevitable, but someone that is adding an addition to your house isn't going to experience some job-stopping catastrophe every single time. So they can effectively give an estimate regardless. Good try though.

In any case, dealing with "software" you are more in control of issues than any of the examples because you are the ones writing the software.

Yep, to compare a single person (prof. car painter) with a complete team (software programmers, database programmers, product- and project management members, level and ai designers, ....and so on) which are working on a really complex task. These two things can be surely compared, you are right. How could I be so blind!

You are so incredible clueless it is unbelievable. Try to get a job in this business and we talk again, but right now it is senseless to talk with you about this issue. You have no idea how this industry and the projects are functioning. It is the same to explain a chimpanzee how the bananas are coming to the zoo where he is living. He also would insist that they grow on trees - so just go to the tree and harvest some of those tasty bananas. But that they have to be harvested in a country far away and shipped over to the zoo will never come to his mind.

Edited by Draxx
  • Like 1

Can't read the whole damn thread, but personnally i wish a few things for the stand alone :

- Other maps than Chernarus, because it looks like "life at campaign", 80% of the map beeing forest and similar, way too much many roads, towns ridiculously small, even capitals, come on, this is the worst you could ever choose, give us something else !!

- More difficulty : no way to shoot a stupid DMR and friends while beeing close to a town because you would have 500 zombies over the head rushing at you, real hords in capitals and towns, epic airfield with HUGE hords of Z.. The game is way too much too easy, you can rush the NWAF and crash sites without a single weapon, even a makarov is useless, the result is players don't really need the help of other players, 95% of the population plays bandit of similar... This is really too much easy, come on, it's the zombie apocalypse, they're everywhere, and you just can't walk in a big city alone.

- Zombie balancing... : Zs in DAYZ arn't zombies, those are infected people, makes 'em able to sprint (faster than healthy players lol), break your leg in one shot... At the same time, they can't run in the buildings, oh wait, is this the actual balancing for zombies ? Makes them useless, stay in a tree, they can't hit you and they leave, 10 zombies after you ? Np, find a building and they're gone, takes 10s most of time, same thing in a field and no building ? Np, find bushes or trees, and they're gone.

Should be called "DeasyZ", bandits are the only pressure on survivors, but it will makes a bad community in the end, trolls, taunts etc... Dayz is close from beeing a good game, but isn't actually, it's ridiculous in some points, makes a bad experience in the end, once the joy of discovery is gone, then you see all the issues in game design.

PS : sorry for my english. :(

Edited by Demenz

Day z is being developed by a small group of devs (5 or 6?), not anywhere close to the amount of devs like most AAA title games out today. So yeah i expect them to run into delays and not exactly know when they can release their game.

You are right the game will not be a finished product at release nor will it be years from now, but the game does have to have a solid foundation to build off of after it is released to the public before they can even let the public play. That is what i think you fail to realize Dreygar.

• Like 1

Read it again m8, I'll make bold the if.

Context.

No compadre, I read it right the first time. The game will (bolded that for you) have glitches, hackers, and issues.

No compadre, I read it right the first time. The game will (bolded that for you) have glitches, hackers, and issues.

Something vexes thee?

• Like 1

Yep, to compare a single person (prof. car painter) with a complete team (software programmers, database programmers, product- and project management members, level and ai designers, ....and so on) which are working on a really complex task. These two things can be surely compared, you are right. How could I be so blind!

You are so incredible clueless it is unbelievable. Try to get a job in this business and we talk again, but right now it is senseless to talk with you about this issue. You have no idea how this industry and the projects are functioning. It is the same to explain a chimpanzee how the bananas are coming to the zoo where he is living. He also would insist that they grow on trees - so just go to the tree and harvest some of those tasty bananas. But that they have to be harvested in a country far away and shipped over to the zoo will never come to his mind.

How stupid and bias are you to think that your job "game designer" is any different than anything else in this world? The only thing that changes is the knowledge and tools. A painter has the knowledge and tools to paint. A game designer has the knowledge and tools to make a game. Simple enough for you? Just because one job is more "complex" than another doesn't change anything because the person doing that "complex" job is trained to do it.

I know it's hard for forum members to accept anything but praise for Rocket, but I think he needs a little criticism.

Do you know anything about game development like you think you do? I'm a game dev myself and I can assure you no game in the world would give the public a release date when they are still making structural changes. When do most of games announce their release dates? It's when at least 80% of content is finished. Of course DayZ SA is not like traditional game releases (minecraft model), but the base structure must be tested before the release date is estimated. Why is it difficult to estimate a finish date before base structure is completed you may ask? Because unlike adding content, if a base structure fails they may have to scrach and restart a lot of things. It could be 90% "finished" in one day, then 20% of the stuff that turns out not working going back to the drawing board the other. That's why Rocket said in the blog post that only AFTER the structural test is done, an internal release date will be decided.

All these being said, I'm not saying Rocket did everything properly. Back when he promised there would be a 2012 release, I said to myself "that can't be good." Given the ambition of the project, there is no way it would be ready for foundation release in a few months. That's probably why Rocket has learned from his mistake and hold on to giving another release date before he's confident enough to do so.

Finally let's talk about engine. I'd like to clear out some misconception about game engines. It seems a lot of people think "Arma 3 engine" is totally different from "Arma 2 engine" because they saw the Arma3 gameplay/tech demo videos and see a lot of improvement. Well a game engine, as the name suggests, is only the core of a game, like a engine of a car. How a car looks or works depends on not only the engine, but on a lot of other parts as well. Under the hood, all BI games use the same engine: Real Virtuality. The engine will be improved over the years when they make new games, but still basically the same engine. So when people ask why won't DayZ use the "Arma 3 engine", they are already using the base engine that's used for Arma 3. However they can't take the exact version that they tailored for Arma 3 to make DayZ. Why? Same reason they can't take the exact version for Arma2: DayZ need the engine to be optimized in different ways because DayZ and Arma have different game structure and focuses. So people should stop refering DayZ engine to be "Arma 2" or "Arma 2.5", It should be called "Real Virtuality - DayZ edition". Everything BI learned over the years to improve Real Virtuality to make a awesome looking Arma3 will likely to be translated to "RV-DayZ edition" because same people who made the changes are helping improving "RV-DayZ edition". So as long as DayZ project gets enough support and attention from BI's main development team (and it should), I'm sure DayZ will enventually look as good as Arma3 or even better (because DayZ will continue development after foundation release as the RV engine continue to improve).

That is all of a fellow game dev's personal view and attempt to clear out some misconception about DayZ. Thanks for reading.

• Like 3

Can't read the whole damn thread, but personnally i wish a few things for the stand alone :

- Other maps than Chernarus, because it looks like "life at campaign", 80% of the map beeing forest and similar, way too much many roads, towns ridiculously small, even capitals, come on, this is the worst you could ever choose, give us something else !!

- More difficulty : no way to shoot a stupid DMR and friends while beeing close to a town because you would have 500 zombies over the head rushing at you, real hords in capitals and towns, epic airfield with HUGE hords of Z.. The game is way too much too easy, you can rush the NWAF and crash sites without a single weapon, even a makarov is useless, the result is players don't really need the help of other players, 95% of the population plays bandit of similar... This is really too much easy, come on, it's the zombie apocalypse, they're everywhere, and you just can't walk in a big city alone.

- Zombie balancing... : Zs in DAYZ arn't zombies, those are infected people, makes 'em able to sprint (faster than healthy players lol), break your leg in one shot... At the same time, they can't run in the buildings, oh wait, is this the actual balancing for zombies ? Makes them useless, stay in a tree, they can't hit you and they leave, 10 zombies after you ? Np, find a building and they're gone, takes 10s most of time, same thing in a field and no building ? Np, find bushes or trees, and they're gone.

Should be called "DeasyZ", bandits are the only pressure on survivors, but it will makes a bad community in the end, trolls, taunts etc... Dayz is close from beeing a good game, but isn't actually, it's ridiculous in some points, makes a bad experience in the end, once the joy of discovery is gone, then you see all the issues in game design.

PS : sorry for my english. :(

So you want to have Zombies that are faster than you, and will pretty much kill you in a couple hits? Let me know how well that game works for you. Average Life expectancy 36 seconds. Every time you attempt to loot a town, you will never be able to obtain 1 single tin can even without being killed by a zombie. Great job.

That is all of a fellow game dev's personal view and attempt to clear out some misconception about DayZ. Thanks for reading.

Just to clarify, I know nothing that goes in in developing a game. If I did, I'd probably be out there trying to make my own game the way I want it to be instead of relying on other people to make something that eventually falls short; but that's beside the point.

What I do know is analyzing the information given to us. If the game was scheduled to be released "December 2012" then that would suggest that the "core" functions were pretty much good to go. Clearly Rocket didn't plan properly, and he even said if that date was missed it was due to his inability to plan properly.

I will also like to point out that the main "structural" changes, were done back in November and those "assessments" were supposed to be released to us, but never were which is obviously the delay and now why it is being retested again.

I never expected a December 2012 release, and I think it was more of a "Rocket's wish list" than a concrete date. Also, there are games out there that have release dates sometimes 1-2 years in advance. The latest Rainbow Six was supposed to hit shelves this january and now slated for 2014 even though it's been in production since like 2010. Though that is because Ubisoft sucks.

Day Z SA is not going to be that much different from Arma 2. It is the same map, tweaked. It is going to have for the most part a lot of the same modeling, some tweaked, some new. Some things under the hood that are new, and some old, some tweaked. Basically. "Old, new, and tweaked" is how one could describe how Day Z is going to work. We also know that a lot of the major additions for Day Z are not in development. The only problem I see, and maybe because it is "New" for bohemia is trying to incorporate MMO styled architect.

FYI one cannot compare someone you have employed to do a task and an external project.

IF you had employed the dev team to make DAYZ for YOU then, yes you would deserve a date, even a vague one.

IF you had employed a chap to spray your car ditto.

In reality you have not employed the dev team. They owe you nothing.

I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just a bad comparison.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2