griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Will Standalone be optimised so it can run on more than 2 CPU threads?

It's painful watching my current DayZ server struggle at full capacity when it maxes out 2 CPU threads, even though the server has 6 extra threads all sat on idle because Arma 2 by design cannot use more than 2 threads :(

I think it was mentioned in another thread the possibility to have 150 slot servers, so if this is really an idea, I sure hope the engine is changed so it can use 4 threads or more!

Anyone know a rough ETA on the standalone release? Or an educated guess? Not been following everything.

Not even asking for a specific date, just a month/period. Do you think it's likely to be say....May...or summer, or dare I say it Oct-Dec time?

Will Standalone be optimised so it can run on more than 2 CPU threads?

It's painful watching my current DayZ server struggle at full capacity when it maxes out 2 CPU threads, even though the server has 6 extra threads all sat on idle because Arma 2 by design cannot use more than 2 threads :(

I think it was mentioned in another thread the possibility to have 150 slot servers, so if this is really an idea, I sure hope the engine is changed so it can use 4 threads or more!

Do you mean cores?

Arma 3 is getting an update soon that means it uses more than 2, but whether that update makes it into DayZ is up to Rocket. It'd be a smart decision, but I have no idea how hard it'd be to implement, so we'll have to wait

Anyone know a rough ETA on the standalone release? Or an educated guess? Not been following everything.

Not even asking for a specific date, just a month/period. Do you think it's likely to be say....May...or summer, or dare I say it Oct-Dec time?

As Matt keeps saying, it'll come out this year.

The further they get into development, the more rocket wants to add. He really wants to turn DayZ SA into a new game, and not just an update for the mod we've been playing. I'd love to say that it'll be out soon, but none of really know, not even rocket himself. He's going to Mt. Everest in a month or so, so my guess is that he'll start testing soon after he's back, and then have it released after that. I'd take a guess and say Summer American time.

Do you mean cores?

Arma 3 is getting an update soon that means it uses more than 2, but whether that update makes it into DayZ is up to Rocket. It'd be a smart decision, but I have no idea how hard it'd be to implement, so we'll have to wait

As Matt keeps saying, it'll come out this year.

The further they get into development, the more rocket wants to add. He really wants to turn DayZ SA into a new game, and not just an update for the mod we've been playing. I'd love to say that it'll be out soon, but none of really know, not even rocket himself. He's going to Mt. Everest in a month or so, so my guess is that he'll start testing soon after he's back, and then have it released after that. I'd take a guess and say Summer American time.

Around summer time was my guess 2. zombies are now in there walking around doing their thing, probably need some configuring, then they start to add more stuff, testing, configuring and so forth, then when they think they have something playable they will release the alpha, and my guess that will probably be in like 2-4 months, so around summer.

who knows... with PAX and GDC coming at the end of the month and rocket leaving on vacation to everest might be soon or might be after rockets vacation.

And this my friends is what is called 'feature creep'. I put a public test version of DayZ standalone at June at the earliest, with an actual retail release late Fall of 2013. Don't hold your breath waiting for this one.

This was a post I made January 7th, which was met with some hostility.

Take a look at today's Joystiq article:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/22/dean-hall-dayz-standalone-alpha-wont-launch-until-at-least-jun/

All I want is lower specs. If the requirements are the same or only slightly lower than Arma 2's, I'm gonna be pissed. I want to be able to run this game, at least at 30 FPS. :/

It will probably be the same, maybe even slightly higher

All I want is lower specs. If the requirements are the same or only slightly lower than Arma 2's, I'm gonna be pissed. I want to be able to run this game, at least at 30 FPS. :/

I would like that to be possible, but I am ready for him to give the game a boost in graphics. Arma 2's graphics are outstanding, but Arma 3's blows that out of the water, I sort've want some of those scripts and what not in the SA.

Many people will be dissapointed on the release as they think it's a completely new game, it's going to be exactly as the current DayZ mod just with a few extra features and reduced lagg (?) and rocket will add new features in the future. So give them all the time they need, releasing it now would result in a total failure and many dissapointed people. Those saying 'release it now!' are the first who are going to complain when they encounter a bug. Give rocket and the development team a break, you got the current mod to keep you busy, be thankful.

• Like 1

some people think rocket doesn't have a life those demanding and worthless creatures hell I learnt English knowledge I can use here. The people who keep demanding for the SA are probably worthless people who have no life themselves who don't consider anyone and sit on computer expecting lightning fast results to fill there worthless time. Those who want and want and want and say hurry up my im hungry so to speak you never treat anyone like that but haters gonna hate. obviously losers who think they can demand everything they want no life. I read a thread about someone saying that Dayz was so engaging I ruined his experience with other games. Makes sense though they released a very unique experience compared to other games I say FTL was loved for a unique experience which is what people want not another copy of cod or BF3. But something completely different.

I just think stop giving dates.

Don't say "it has to be out before the end of the year" and then miss the end of the year and then give another month and then miss that and then give another month that you'll probably release nowhere near too.

It just creates frustration, just say it'll be done when it's done, though not any time soon and say nothing until you're ready to release. People get bored of trickled information, it ends up just tiring people people out, so when it does release, people just don't care any more.

We always see this backlash happen, even Bioshock Infinite started to piss people off with years of them going on about the game. We follow the gaming news as gamers, after hearing about it time and time again, it does make you bored.

just say it'll be done when it's done

They are saying that ;)

• Like 1

What about armbands, I mean not that for swimming but for recognition other players. I think it could be nice to find some armbands in colors so players could put it on, on their arms so they will know who's who and who's not :) I think that could be common so people playing together in groups like 4-5 players will be easier to know who's friendly and who's stranger. So yea, that could help playing in group.

Yeah i can imagine how that announcement must go "welcome to the official day-z website, if u want news on dayz, go to this different website dur doiii"

Change your attitude. I'm not sure you realize this, but the moderators have no control over the developer team, so there's no need to be a jerk to them.

Also, optimization really isn't as easy as you think. The devs realize that the optimization will be a deal-breaker for many, but it's not like they can insert a few bits of code and magically make everything run super smooth for everyone. If you have a crappy computer, which I'm assuming you do, it's going to run any game like crap.

The devs gave already said that they estimate that the performance will be about the same as vanilla Arma 2, which runs slightly better than DayZ mod. You just have to use the devblogs to read it.

Also, a devblog on tumblr is what a lot of developers use.

• Like 1

The devs have estimated it to be about the same. Hey, if you ever wanna upgrade the computer your using to squeeze more FPS, give me a PM.

Yeah i can imagine how that announcement must go "welcome to the official day-z website, if u want news on dayz, go to this different website dur doiii"

Change your attitude. I'm not sure you realize this, but the moderators have no control over the developer team, so there's no need to be a jerk to them.

Also, optimization really isn't as easy as you think. The devs realize that the optimization will be a deal-breaker for many, but it's not like they can insert a few bits of code and magically make everything run super smooth for everyone. If you have a crappy computer, which I'm assuming you do, it's going to run any game like crap.

The devs gave already said that they estimate that the performance will be about the same as vanilla Arma 2, which runs slightly better than DayZ mod. You just have to use the devblogs to read it.

Also, a devblog on tumblr is what a lot of developers use.

This electroban guy is a joke. Just searching through some of his posts I can already see that he is only here to complain about everything in DayZ, from the zombies, the maps, the optimization, admin log checking abilites. He's also said multiple times that this game is a total joke, and went as far as to cool someone "A noob" for having dyslexia. That's not funny.

I don't know why he even bothers to come here.

Edited by AussieStig

This electroban guy is a joke. Just searching through some of his posts I can already see that he is only here to complain about everything in DayZ, from the zombies, the maps, the optimization, admin log checking abilites. He's also said multiple times that this game is a total joke, and went as far as to cool someone "A noob" for having dyslexia. That's not funny.

I don't know why he even bothers to come here.

Trust me, I've seen some of his other posts. He's not the kind of guy I think anyone wants in this community.

As much as I would like to see updates every Friday im not going to complain because that just means that they are working their butts off and don't have time to post an update. No matter what im buying this game, whether it comes out in a month or 4 years! Take your time Devs we love you no matter what!!!!

heyy I was just wondering if anyone could inform me on the progress of the stand alone.

heyy I was just wondering if anyone could inform me on the progress of the stand alone.

Check the devblog (http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/) and check out the thread that shows the new inventory system (it looks ugly because it's a work-in-progress): http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/130320-dayz-standalone-inventory-mock-up/page__view__getnewpost

The devs gave already said that they estimate that the performance will be about the same as vanilla Arma 2, which runs slightly better than DayZ mod.

As long as people keep their settings relatively the same, they should be alright. The only new thing that deals a really big hit is the volumetric clouds. Depending on your setting, it's easily 5-15 frames less. In TOH you can completely disable them so hopefully that will be an option in DayZ SA as well.