griffinz

DayZ Standalone Discussion

Of course DayZ SA is not like traditional game releases (minecraft model)

Also, just out of curiosity how long was Minecraft in development before it was released to the public? I honestly don't see Day Z releasing anytime soon which appears to me that it has gone away from the minecraft development and more into a typical game that offers updates/expansions (not necessarily paid expansions but things like base building and vehicle modifications is what I am implying would be the expansions).

FYI one cannot compare someone you have employed to do a task and an external project.

IF you had employed the dev team to make DAYZ for YOU then, yes you would deserve a date, even a vague one.

IF you had employed a chap to spray your car ditto.

In reality you have not employed the dev team. They owe you nothing.

I don't mean to sound harsh, it's just a bad comparison.

Rgds

LoK

I understand your point, but the comparison was only to stress the point that a "subject matter expert" fully knows the details of what it takes to complete their project. A point that seems to be overlooked time and time again. Movies and games have release dates all the time, it is nothing new.

But movie (production) deadlines often go wayyyy over time/budget, release dates are usually given after the film is "in the can".

My profession also is one hard to gauge completion times. A project which I'm working on at the moment has slipped from one week to looking like a month for various reasons. This is very common.

Also remember, Dayz is not your standard "game" title and it's development is very much "old school" and "garage" based, even though it has been now taken under a companies wing, so expect the whole development to be very organic rather than strictly organised to an accountants timetable.

Yes, we all want a date. No, it's not going to happen. If that turns folk off, then the game probably isn't for them as the ethos behind it and future developments will most likely frustrate them.

L

Edited by orlok
missing words.... and puntuation
  • Like 2

Furthermore, anyone who sits there and says "Let them finish it so that it will be a great product" Stop being dillusional. The game, when released, will not be a finished product all I am saying is where is the product we were promised end of 2012, and now "who knows" per 2013.

How about, "let them finish the frickin server architecture and properly test it so the game doesn't explode into a billion whine threads"?

You sure you don't have some rocket ass on those lips? The replayability of Day Z, and it's maps and counterparts is hardly anything to hold one over. Remember how we were told that the mod would be updated and improved upon as the Standalone progressed? One update and no real changes in all that time, except removing weapons that you whiney forum members cry over.

You know you can go test the pre-releases of the 1.7.5 update right? You're a well spoken and opinionated fellow and I have no doubt that your feedback would be invaluable to the people who are developing the mod in their spare time, for free.

Blah, your entire argument reminds me of the "we wantz updatez nows" nonsense that was being posted during the holidays. Anyway, I'm off to swing on golden nutsacks or something because I actually believe the devs are doing what they say they're doing.

But movie (production) deadlines often go wayyyy over time/budget, release dates are usually given after the film is "in the can".

My profession also is one hard to gauge completion times. A project which I'm working on at the moment has slipped from one week to looking like a month for various reasons. This is very common.

Also remember, Dayz is not your standard "game" title and it's development is very much "old school" and "garage" based, even though it has been now taken under a companies wing, so expect the whole development to be very organic rather than strictly organised to an accountants timetable.

Yes, we all want a date. No, it's not going to happen. If that turns folk off, then the game probably isn't for them as the ethos behind it and future developments will most likely frustrate them.

L

I'm not being turned off without a date, all I am saying is that a date shows that proper planning is in place. I don't know what your "profession" is, but if something slipped from being done in a week to now a month... then an assessment was never really done in the first place.

I come from a military background, like Rocket. We train and plan for everything and if something never happened on time it was due to human laziness.

Well, as to my "profession" as you call it, the delays are entirely client led. but nonetheless the proposed deadline slipped.

As to laziness being the only cause of delay, well that's absurd.

L

How about, "let them finish the frickin server architecture and properly test it so the game doesn't explode into a billion whine threads"?

You know you can go test the pre-releases of the 1.7.5 update right? You're a well spoken and opinionated fellow and I have no doubt that your feedback would be invaluable to the people who are developing the mod in their spare time, for free.

Blah, your entire argument reminds me of the "we wantz updatez nows" nonsense that was being posted during the holidays. Anyway, I'm off to swing on golden nutsacks or something because I actually believe the devs are doing what they say they're doing.

Updates to the mod, aren't something that I'm really concerned with since they don't really improve anything at all. I think 1.7.4 added the combat indicator? Great improvement, my biggest concern with Day Z was people combat logging; not. Oh, and they removed a couple weapons and added some vehicles. Yet I still break random legs going over terrain or passing by a buddy through a hallway.

Though I just pointed out that while the game was in development the mod was also supposed to be improved upon which it hasn't. If anything it gets worse and worse over time. I've played off and on since May. No one is whining, either. That would be the FPV folk.

I'm not being turned off without a date, all I am saying is that a date shows that proper planning is in place. I don't know what your "profession" is, but if something slipped from being done in a week to now a month... then an assessment was never really done in the first place.

I come from a military background, like Rocket. We train and plan for everything and if something never happened on time it was due to human laziness.

Lol at the military comment, so no war has ever gone on longer than expected? Those lazy Vietnam vets, if they had just stopped being lazy that war would have been over so quick.

Just to clarify, I know nothing that goes in in developing a game. If I did, I'd probably be out there trying to make my own game the way I want it to be instead of relying on other people to make something that eventually falls short; but that's beside the point.

What I do know is analyzing the information given to us. If the game was scheduled to be released "December 2012" then that would suggest that the "core" functions were pretty much good to go. Clearly Rocket didn't plan properly, and he even said if that date was missed it was due to his inability to plan properly.

I will also like to point out that the main "structural" changes, were done back in November and those "assessments" were supposed to be released to us, but never were which is obviously the delay and now why it is being retested again.

I never expected a December 2012 release, and I think it was more of a "Rocket's wish list" than a concrete date. Also, there are games out there that have release dates sometimes 1-2 years in advance. The latest Rainbow Six was supposed to hit shelves this january and now slated for 2014 even though it's been in production since like 2010. Though that is because Ubisoft sucks.

Day Z SA is not going to be that much different from Arma 2. It is the same map, tweaked. It is going to have for the most part a lot of the same modeling, some tweaked, some new. Some things under the hood that are new, and some old, some tweaked. Basically. "Old, new, and tweaked" is how one could describe how Day Z is going to work. We also know that a lot of the major additions for Day Z are not in development. The only problem I see, and maybe because it is "New" for bohemia is trying to incorporate MMO styled architect.

Regarding to the delay, Rocket has said in the previous blog post that at first he just wanted to some "patchwork" on existing Arma 2 version of the RV engine and make it DayZ SA, but later he decided to do a thorough job and rework the base structure of the engine to build a solid base for the future development of DayZ SA. This is why the early patchwork and release estimation all went down the drain. This is a good call made by Rocket even it means the game release will be further delayed because let's look at the fate of WarZ: a game which is quickly modified from the game War Inc. , trying to ride the success of DayZ mod, failed miserably, because they didn't spend time to rework the base structure to suit a different game type. I'm sure if Rocket decided to do patchwork like WarZ did, DayZ SA would be out way before 2012 ends, but that DayZ SA is not what you want, is it?

DayZ SA isn't gonna be completely new for sure. They simply don't have enough time to do so. On the other hand, why bother to reinvent the wheel? Stuffs that worked should be kept in the game while they can spend time on making new features like new UI, new inventory system, new weapon system, new lighting system etc. Once those are in place, new maps, new models are just a matter of time. Even the old Cherno map has tons of potential. There were 70% of areas without any structure or place to explore. Towns, villages were too small and a lot of buildings were not enterable. Not to mention underground bases might be added in the future.

Anyways, from what I see from the updates, DayZ team is focusing on making more new features than doing mere cosmetic changes(stuff like models, textures, maps). That is good because this is like laying the groundwork for a building, and stuff you mentioned are like buying new furniture or painting walls, Those can be added easily after the main structure of the building is built and you are start living in it.

Lol at the military comment, so no war has ever gone on longer than expected? Those lazy Vietnam vets, if they had just stopped being lazy that war would have been over so quick.

That's taking things way out of context. Please go shoot yourself now. Vietnam was the most intense war in history, period. Be respectful you little twit.

Regarding to the delay, Rocket has said in the previous blog post that at first he just wanted to some "patchwork" on existing Arma 2 version of the RV engine and make it DayZ SA, but later he decided to do a thorough job and rework the base structure of the engine to build a solid base for the future development of DayZ SA. This is why the early patchwork and release estimation all went down the drain. This is a good call made by Rocket even it means the game release will be further delayed because let's look at the fate of WarZ: a game which is quickly modified from the game War Inc. , trying to ride the success of DayZ mod, failed miserably, because they didn't spend time to rework the base structure to suit a different game type. I'm sure if Rocket decided to do patchwork like WarZ did, DayZ SA would be out way before 2012 ends, but that DayZ SA is not what you want, is it?

DayZ SA isn't gonna be completely new for sure. They simply don't have enough time to do so. On the other hand, why bother to reinvent the wheel? Stuffs that worked should be kept in the game while they can spend time on making new features like new UI, new inventory system, new weapon system, new lighting system etc. Once those are in place, new maps, new models are just a matter of time. Even the old Cherno map has tons of potential. There were 70% of areas without any structure or place to explore. Towns, villages were too small and a lot of buildings were not enterable. Not to mention underground bases might be added in the future.

Anyways, from what I see from the updates, DayZ team is focusing on making more new features than doing mere cosmetic changes(stuff like models, textures, maps). That is good because this is like laying the groundwork for a building, and stuff you mentioned are like buying new furniture or painting walls, Those can be added easily after the main structure of the building is built and you are start living in it.

Nothing from what we've been told from the startup of the Standalone suggested that it would just be a "patch job" of Arma 2. It always had that "New, old, tweaked" mentality that it still has. Every screen shot is same ole Arma with maybe some additional decor, and even in the comparison picture of the latest release there is no new buildings or any changes to the landscape other than that addition to the far right. (And some toned down brightness)

At this point I really dont see the need to continue to derail the thread. Nothing positive will come of this argument. Some people feel it is unprofessional of BI to not advertise a release date for DayZ while other people feel it is not neccesary to commit to a date. The end.

• Like 1

I agree with Mr Nasty, this thread is only really so people can keep arguing and insult eachother now. We're not going to get a date for a while, and it'll release when it will release, I don't know how this thread would be helping the game anymore.

:beans: Beans! :beans: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with Mr Nasty, this thread is only really so people can keep arguing and insult eachother now. We're not going to get a date for a while, and it'll release when it will release, I don't know how this thread would be helping the game anymore.

:beans: Beans! :beans: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's called a discussion, on a discussion board. Deal with it. People are going to disagree and bicker but that is what people do. Should we all hold hands and frolic in the woods?

Nothing from what we've been told from the startup of the Standalone suggested that it would just be a "patch job" of Arma 2. It always had that "New, old, tweaked" mentality that it still has. Every screen shot is same ole Arma with maybe some additional decor, and even in the comparison picture of the latest release there is no new buildings or any changes to the landscape other than that addition to the far right. (And some toned down brightness)

I remember very well Rocket said when standalone was just announced that standalone in the beginning will be very identical to the mod itself in terms of features, but now they are working on new cloth system, new weapon system and such. So I can tell there has be a change of direction in development for sure. Maybe it's because of the WarZ incident that Rocket decided to push more distinct new features into foundation release? I can only guess so.

Again, from screenshots you can only see the cosmetic changes. There are tons of changes that screenshots can't show. The latest screenshot is meant to show the change in lighting which it clearly shows that in the old one there is no shadow, no AO, and the overall lighting is too blasted. New buildings, new towns are essentially just new models. They are easy to add but takes time, so they can add those after the initial release with updates. Why can't I get this idea through your thick skull?

That's taking things way out of context. Please go shoot yourself now. Vietnam was the most intense war in history, period. Be respectful you little twit.

I was not being disrespectful, it is called hyperbole which you are well versed in even if you are too dense to know the definition. You said in the military deadlines were only missed due to laziness, I then gave an example of when a deadline were missed and added on your logic to the reason it was missed. If YOU were too stupid to understand that the last statement was meant to mock your logic that sounds like your problem, not mine. It was to show that your logic was badly flawed, the deadlines for Vietnam were missed for a variety of complex reasons none of which were laziness.

Also wow on the go shoot yourself comment, internet much douchebag?

Please go shoot yourself now.

No. we don't like this. Calm it down please.

I was not being disrespectful, it is called hyperbole which you are well versed in even if you are too dense to know the definition. You said in the military deadlines were only missed due to laziness, I then gave an example of when a deadline were missed and added on your logic to the reason it was missed. If YOU were too stupid to understand that the last statement was meant to mock your logic that sounds like your problem, not mine. It was to show that your logic was badly flawed, the deadlines for Vietnam were missed for a variety of complex reasons none of which were laziness.

Also wow on the go shoot yourself comment, internet much douchebag?

That has more to do with politics and congress than soldiers on the ground, and my mentioning of that has nothing to do with war.

It's called a discussion, on a discussion board. Deal with it. People are going to disagree and bicker but that is what people do. Should we all hold hands and frolic in the woods?

Bickering and aruging is hardly discussion. Your go kill yourself now comment is proof of that. Based on the comments here everyone is in agreement with one thing that you're acting childish and should probably just sit down shut up and wait for the SA like the rest of us. If you want to continue to piss and moan please do so privately. You've pleaded your case you've bored us to death with your incessantly long posts on how unprofessional it is for them not to have a release date. The irony of someone acting as childish as you commenting about professionalism was amusing at first but now its down right annoying.

You have derailed this thread to the point of argument if you have a problem with the information thats being relayed to you in regards to the SA you should probably just PM Rocket, Matt, or Griff. No need to subject the rest of us to your nonsensical arguments.

There is no release date as of right now. Deal with it. Heres some tissues.

Edited by Mr Nasty
  • Like 2

Bickering and aruging is hardly discussion. Your go kill yourself now comment is proof of that. Based on the comments here everyone is in agreement with one thing that you're acting childish and should probably just sit down shut up and wait for the SA like the rest of us. If you want to continue to piss and moan please do so privately. You've pleaded your case you've bored us to death with your incessantly long posts on how unprofessional it is for them not to have a release date. The irony of someone acting as childish as you commenting about professionalism was amusing at first but now its down right annoying.

You have derailed this thread to the point argument if you have a problem with the information thats being relayed to you in regards to the SA you should probably just PM Rocket, Matt, or Griff. No need to subject the rest of us to your nonsensical arguments.

There is no release date as of right now. Deal with it. Heres some tissues.

That's great Mr. Nasty, but my contribution to this thread was more than just "wah wah why no Day Z" ... If you actually scrolled back a few pages where I listed a few pros and cons from the status of the game thus far. Also I basically said "we don't know" doesn't sound very reassuring/professional and everyone leached on that like you forum guru's typically do and attacked it. SImple. You can disagree or say that I am whining or that I need my pampers changed all you want.

Secondly, I apologize to Zombie Jesus for saying go shoot yourself... I know how sensitive today's kiddies are and he might actually go do it or worse go harm others... So please don't. However, you can mock me all you want but to use the Vietnam war in a way of mocking me is something I don't take lightly.

Rantings of a moron

Edited by Zombie Jesus

Ding, ding ding, so you are telling me sometimes deadlines are missed due to reasons other than laziness? It is like I have to hold your hand to the easy ass point I was making.

That was the point, there are plenty of other factors that can cause a deadline to be missed than just laziness. With that I am out, I refuse to go any further with someone who can take so much offense with so little said.

Your point was missed on me because it was irrelevant. Unrealistic goals from people who are not on the front lines is HARDLY a point to make.

I noticed you edited your post, and so I'll do the same. When I said. "Our deadlines were never missed aside from laziness" That was deadlines that WE make, not what Congress/Politics made for Vietnam. Two clearly distinctive things that clearly you missed.

Edited by Dreygar

If anyone tries to canvass me while in dayz they get a bullet in the eye, I really hope there's no politics in the SA. My mate went to Vietnam recently, said it was nice, friendly people and all that. They should do a vitnam map with some mad old temples and stuff. Always finding stuff in my pockets, like my hands, my hands are big I've got big hands.

My hands are lazy but the lines aint dead, so I won't miss them. Making as much sense as this thread right now lol

• Like 1

I'm not impressed with what I've seen from all the updates. Screenshots look no better than the mod. I don't understand the "wow" factor people write about it, when it's pretty much the same thing. Maybe I've some untrained eye but the "Day Z vs Standalone" Comparison screenshot looks like the brightness was turned down some, and the Standalone has an additional structure/road it looked like. Wow! Seriously people...

Some of my cons.

- No real character progression other than gear... which is the only way we "progress" in the mod.

- A disease system that I cannot see adding to the gameplay in anyway shape or form. Yeah great, I just took some boots off a dead guy and now I have some deadly virus. That's going to be as lame as breaking a leg walking through a doorway.

- Release date, to which everyone thought was nearly concrete of Dec 2012. Now a "we don't know." So, before we were under the impression we would be getting a work in progress game. Now should we assume we are going to be getting a basic polished/ready to go version?

Some of my pros.

+ Customizable weapons, clothing, and persons. This is kind of "standard" in any game, honestly. People want to personalize and make things their own. Finding that new baseball cap and getting a tattoo is not really progression however. (See con above)

+ Mad Max styled vehicles. This is another as to be expected in this type of game, just happy it'll be added (maybe). Though who knows if we will ever get it.

+ MMO Server Architiect I sincerely hope that along with this we will be getting official Day Z-only servers. Characters are dedicated to those servers/worlds like in typical MMOs and no community servers. I really doubt this will happen though and it'll be another... same as we have deal except how the "Data" is handled.

My actual post before everyone got in an uproar over "release date" and insisting that everyone is whining and complaining that the game isn't here yet. Clearly it is nearly impossible to say anything with any type of criticism over the game or the development team without the fanboi forum team trying to stomp over your every word.

• Like 1