I was a normal person before this starts I lived in elektro, I had family and 1 son and one strange day I heard in the news that was an infection that converts dead people into zombies and I tryed to scape I did it, but not my family, now they are zombies, in the fisrt day I get a hatchet, I survived with not too much food and drink, the next day I went to the supermarket and I found an ALICE pack, I went back to my refuge, I survived another day, the next day I found a camping tent, it had an M16A2 I had to learn to use it after I found another survivor, I make my first friend in this apocalypse, also I get some food, so that is another day surviving I decided to go to the airport and after some hours walking i get to the airport, there was an heli crash with an AS50 I took it, it had some mags and also i found a ghilie suit, also I took it, so I went back to elektro, so that was an aweosme day, actually I am a sniper my friend died at the airport, but we are strong we went back to the airport to find a weapon for he, now he have an M249, we try to help all survivors, we are survivors, we have hope, we, know that we can do this, we are really survivors!!

Sorry if bad english, I am from Spain, this story is fictitious, I always wanted that DayZ is as this story, survivors helping survivors, not killing all people.

One time I was heading towards a medium sized town, when I noticed a shipping yard to the right. On instinct, I started toward it. After avoiding a lot of zombies, I made my into the buildings and found... barbed wire around the entrances. After eventually making it in, I found nothing but some sodas and a barbed wire kit. Great. I decided to leave. At the time, I only had a hatchet, so the angry zombie chasing me was not something I wanted to see.Of course, I ran and just attracted more. I got hit a lot, and when they were all dead, my vision was really blurry. I knew I was gonna die. SO after bandaging, I went on a killing spree. My zombie kill count went from 15 to 43 in the course of five minutes.

With broken legs I crawled from the South West Airfield to about 50 meters from the first hospital in Cherno. Somehow a zombie went agro on me as a crawled toward the hospital. I died.

• Like 6

mysterious person, your killed my friend imagination, you messed with him a little bit and then shot him, i can respect that. imagination and i spawned together and i heard everything over direct chat, i wish i could have stopped it, but i couldnt find you, good luck to you

Today was an emotional rollercoaster in DayZ.

After some disappointing run ins with scripters, I find a shiney new broken down van at a gas station. So I think to myself "Hey I should fix this up before bed and have some fun tomorrow" I quickly find a wheel and throw it on, and put my crossbow from my backpack into the gear storage to make more room, and off I go adventuring for parts. I stumble into an industrial complex and begin to climb the three story building there, and am elated to find yet another wheel, however my joy soon turns into bittersweet sorrow as I plummet through the wall breaking my legs and dieing on impact.

Just about fed up for the night I decide to spawn once again and see if I can salvage my gear atleast before bed, but alas I appear on the beach across Chernaus. Feeling my night is at an end i prepare to log off, but figure I will check out the lighthouse nearby first. I approach, seeing nothing to my dismay, however when I make my way around it my spirits rise as I see a beautiful green Old Bike awaiting me, with the clicking of wheels and the ringing of bells I set off once more for my little blue van and my gear.

As i enter Cherno I hear the familiar sound of buzzing flies, I throw caution to the wind and stop to check it out, much to my surprise i find an AKM with 27 rounds and some food and tools on the body, as the undead horde approachs i scurry back to my bike and ride off as fast as I can.

I cruise through Elektro without incident, feeling that the worst is over I begin to cruise along the barren roads of the wasteland. Several minutes later my disregard for safety catches up to me as AS50 rounds rain down around my bike, I dodge and weave into the next town barely escaping what must have been 20 rounds atleast, with the buildings between me and the sniper, I set out to get as much distance as I can incase they have transportation.

As i near the gas station, home of my little blue van I dive into the grass to draw less attention, I gaze over van as I pass by, it looks to be unguarded still, so I keep cruising right on towards my body. I creep my bike along the far side of the building and park it in the back hidden against the side.

As I climb off and round the corner I see my old self waiting there for me, and another poor soul who seemed to have suffered the same fate, I pause for a second looking at my corpse...my crossbow in hand, "but wait I left that in my car...?" I think to myself, but before I can gain my senses, the other "poor soul" sits up looking away, and it all becomes picture clear in an instant. I slide towards him, AKM in hand, pressing it up to the side of his head, "Don't move" I beg him. He pauses for a moment, then suddenly he turns right at me, my 870 in his hands. Everything slows down, thoughts racing though my mind, "was it just an impulse? a force of habit? he doesn't look like a bandit! does he have my pellets or my slugs loaded? what should I do?" As the barrel raises to my head he leaves me no choice, I empty half my magazine into his face and neck and he drops,

Heart pounding I quickly scavenge together my things, as I open my old alice pack he had taken I see not one, but two tires inside, and the horror sets in. He only wanted the van....I had my bike I didn't want it anymore...he could have had it....why didn't he just listen to me....why did he turn...why did he have to die? These thoughts continue to boil in my mind as I set off for a safe camp to hide my bike for the night, as I arrive at my destination only one thought is left, in my panic I failed to even get his name, and now there is no one to remember this brave man, who only wanted a little broken down van.

As i log out and take my leave for the night I am left to contemplate on my actions, who knows what morning will bring, but for now it's just one thing, Remorse.

To the nameless man I killed, I only knew you for a brief few seconds, but I would like to think you ment me no harm and we could have been friends, but Chernaus sometimes leaves us no choice but to survive, no matter the cost on body, soul, or sanity.

Edit: Morning has come, it would seem some sort of karma has caught up with me. Upon logging in I am killed via glitch in the loading screen, and am back to the coast with zero gear tools or backpack, suppose we all have to pay for our crimes sometime.

Edited by Sirhc5509
  • Like 5

Was the first time I had been back to the game in about a month, I logged in with my AS50 still in my hands and set off to find my two friends that just spawned along the beach. We eventually met up between Cherno and Elecktro and headed north to Mogilevka to get food / drink. We ultimately wanted to reach Berezino so I decided our next stop should be Staroye, to look for more supplies.

Up to this point we hadn't see any players, but I knew something was up when I glanced down the sloping hill on the east side of Staroye to see a fully built yellow car. I quickly told my friends to get in, no questions, and we floored it towards the road heading east out of town. About 50 metres up the road, something hits the back bumper and back right tire (none of us heard gun shots, just the impacts), and the car veers off the into a small fenced residential compound (thankfully hiding us). I told everyone to get out and take cover behind the nearby house.

Suddenly we notice a white smoke canister landing about 20 metres away from us (I guessed a M203 round?), at that point I knew there was more than one person, marking our location for his friends. I was the only one armed with a good weapon (one of my friends had a makarov, the other a double barrel shotgun), and I knew the enemy was well geared, so I decided to make a break for it. Just before we started running my nasty side took over, and I put 10 (AS50) rounds into the car's engine bay, causing it to burst into flames.

We sprinted into the forest along side the dirt road heading east, and didn't stop. When we were about 75 metres away from the house we heard two explosions quickly one after the other, behind us where the car was, we didn't stop running (maybe it was the car secondary explosions, but it was definitely two seperate sounds). We headed around Msta to the south-east, and kept running until we reached Tulga. We briefly looked for more supplies before logging off in the forest nearby for the night.

First time in a car in Dayz, shame it only lasted 15 seconds.

Yesterday I encountered 4 other survivor. 3 out of those 4 was totally friendly and I teamed up with the first one I met. We didn't have serious guns (me nothing, my new friend a crossbow). We headed to south to check some helisites, couldn't find any but met up with these 2 nice guys with good gear. They gave us NVG's and we kept going for a few hundred meters until my "friend" got shot just next to me. It was a bandit who had flewn over us with helicopter. The server crashed and he had spawned next to us to the ground. I was able to speak to him and he left me alive and didn't even want to loot my new and past friend. So I took the other NVGs and was on my way again.

Today, I decided to head to the woods to find some camps. It took me about 30 mins to find a first camp where I found antibiotics and some other good stuff that I didn't mind taking with. Took the pills. After few camps I found a L85 in one of the tents, took that and some more antibiotics. So, now I was fully geared and decided to try to track down a heli that I saw earlier when I started the game. Not long after that I get shot in the woods. I was sure there should have not been any as I scanned it with thermal none the less I get killed. I have a doubt it was a hacker. Spawn in again and get teleported and shot.

What a nice way to die. You have some fun, find some rare stuff and get killed by a hacker, so cool.

Edited by the-kuutti

I changed my playstyle to a hero on Lingor and eventually got the skin. I met this European guy and helped him get a bunch of high tier loot which took an hour and a half. After that, some a**hole came out of nowhere and shot him dead. Waste of my precious hour and a half. :<

I had just hopped in a van with two other guys as we were being chased by zombies. "Thanks for the ride", I said. The guy in the backseat backseat responded,"He picked me up too". I turned around towards the road, but all I was met with was a big wooden fence. There was nothing we could do; the van crashed.

Our engine was still going, fortunately. I could hear the driver revving it, trying to go in reverse. But it wasn't working. Something was wrong.

"What happened?", I said.

"We broke our wheel", said the guy in the backseat. "That messes your crap up real good". He then jumped out of the car and ran.

"He's probably the smart one", I said as me and the driver bailed out. I followed the driver.

After trying to evade the zombies for a while, we decided to head back to the car. There was the other survivor, trying to steal it.

"This is my car!!", he yelled, before being axed to death by the driver. We left and started running down the road."

"Were going to need wheels", said the driver. I decided to distract them while he ran and looked for a tire to repair the car with.

After making it back to town, the driver looked for a spare tire in the van. Then he got swarmed. I tried to fend them off with my pistol and crowbar, but it was no use. The driver passed out and died. I tried to run, but I died too.

After respawning, I went back into the town and grabbed our gear. I decided to wait and see if the driver came back. Bad move. I passed out and died.

I tried to respawn, but the server glitched. Instead of spawning on the coast, I spawned unconscious and I was also bleeding. After waking up and bandaging myself, I realized I was in the exact same spot I died in and I had all of my gear. That, I would say, was literally the best glitch ever.

• Like 1

i got geared upon in a town called cherno.. i realized that this would be a fight for survival as i headed into the wilds and the unknown.

i arrived at a airfield, far up north, i got into a barracks, when i openend one of the doors my heart skipped a beat..

there he was, a man covered in leaves as he sat right there looking at me, for 2 seconds we looked at eachother then we both unloaded our guns..

i instinctivly aimed for his head, and got a couple of shots dead on, but not before he got my in my legs..

i started bleeding heavily dropping my blood to 2k.. with broken bones and unbearable pain there i was on the floor..

i sceamed for help, thinking some bandit would probably hear me and kill me for my gear..

after a while some guy responded saying he would help me out.

i waited.. and waited.. untill i heard a chopper in the far distance..

the sound came closer and closer.. untill it stopped right near me..

not knowing what was going on, i aimed my gun at the door, untill 4 heavily geared guys came out, they scannend the area, then one of them walks up to me, helps me get up, and carries me to the chopper..

once in the chopper we took off, they dropped me at a castle which was their home base, and trusted me to keep my mouth shut..

Best guys ever <3 you saved me there against all odds..

I was talking to a couple of friends,they had needed my help. I woke up on a coast in some place called "Balota". I found a main road,and followed it, not knowing that there was a military camp behind me.

They were heading to meet me in somewhere called "Chernogorsk". I found myself in a town after walking on the road for a few minutes. I read the sign,noticing it sounded and looked like "Chernogorsk". I had made it! I could meet my friends who were on their way!

I had not known how to survive so well,and i was impressionable,not knowing what it would be like in this world. I was searching an abandoned school house. I saw a dead person on the roof,and he had various things. The most interesting thing i found was that he had a GPS on him. Sweet....

I decided to check out the rest of the building. I found a Lee enfield and some other various necessities.

I was checking a pile of supplies,and saw in the corner of my eye....Someone with a hatchet. I quickly opened my mouth,speaking,"Hello,are you looking to team up?"

However,he was not. Before I could say anything else,he had hit me. I fell over,bleeding through the huge hole his hatchet made in my side.

I managed to utter out the words "Fuck you..."

Eventually,I lost too much blood. I fell over,my corpse becoming a lifeless pile of flesh,like that dead survivor on the roof.

I started screaming,my friends attempting to comfort me,I was in a fit of rage! My first fellow survivor,and he killed me!

I threw over my chair,screaming at the top of my lungs,asking "Why me?".

That was the first time I ever tried to survive in Chernogorsk.And that...Is why I'm a bandit.

Last Friday I went to Dr. Wasteland's Teamspeak server asking for a blood transfusion in Cherno.

A player named Landols pretty much immediately offered to help me. He said he’s going to find some blood bags and tell me to log in once he has them.

When I was logged in (on one of the biggest buildings in Cherno) he was already close to my position. Unfortunately he was attacked by Zombies just before he reached me. He died just at the ladder that would’ve brought him up to me.

I was at 2100 blood at that time after being shot at by a bandit in Cherno Firestation (whom I managed to kill afterwards) in my previous playing session. I climbed down the ladder in order to save his gear until he’d come back. I was lucky enough not to pass out and die on my way down.

When I was guarding his dead body at the bottom of the ladder I was waiting for him to come back and get his gear. Just before he reached me, we decided it might be worthwhile for me to climb up the first part of the building so I could cover him from there. Of course I passed out on the ladder, fell down and died... Stupid me!

After respawning 3 times (I was too far away from Cherno the first 2 times) we met on a different building in Cherno. In the meantime he had reached our dead bodies, looted them and brought everything to our meeting point. Of course I didn’t need the blood transfusion anymore but besides a nice story and a cool experience I also got some nice gear!

Thanks for that, Landols!!

I had been alive with this life for two days go into Elecktro see a guy in the school try to say friendly but I'm killed before I could. Then I respawn at the airport in Komorovo meet a guy who says he is friendly then he finds a hatchet I tell him there is a zombie behind him he kills it then he kills me even though I didn't have anything.

Another story from The Seeker:

I decided to travel to the north and explore the villages I haven't seen yet, while I was in Cherno I thought about going to the supermarket and take some supplies like food, soda and some other gear like ammo and a new backpack. When I finished packing up everything I looked on my map and marked all the spots I wanted to go to.

My first stop was in Kozlovka. I went to the dear stand to look for some awesome weapons and I found nothing than some useless ammo! I continued my journey and was looking for more buildings that could have more loot inside. After looking for some more supplies I left Kozlovka for Drozinho.

From the distance I could see some other survivors, that didn't look very friendly, I think they were bandits. I decided to infiltrate the village and found nothing, only some tin cans. I think these guys took everything and so I left the second village behind me. Next Stop: Pogorevka

When I arrived in Pogorevka I came across something that I would never imagine to find in Chernarus: A crashed helicopter! There were so many zombies that I had to prone to get past them, I looked on one side of the chopper and found a M249 Saw! I was so lucky to find such an awesome weapon with more than 400 bullets. I immediately left Pogorevka without looking behind, if some bandit would see me, he would definitely try to get my weapon. I decided than to go to Vyshnoye.

The first building in Vyshnoye that I scanned was the big wooden building at the eastern exit of the village. And I had even more luck: I found a sniping rifle! I was so happy to have two awesome weapons! I left the building and saw some huge tower in the distance, it seemed to be the ruins of Zub. I went there in hope not to run into another survivor. And I had luck: At the top I ended my lucky journey without fighting one single stranger!

• Like 1

Wow, today got a global ban for nothing. US 2032. got hacked. so i went around a found i guy with a heli went in and he teleported hardcore.

Okay, so a few weeks ago, I'm in the firehouse of Cherno waiting for my friend Dylan to show up, when suddenly, I hear a couple of shots from what sounds like an Assault Rifle coming from the supermarket nearby. Due to my natural asshole-bandit instinct, I go to the general direction to see if I can rack up some player kills. So I go in from the back of the store, and see a backpack sticking out from behind the counter. I ready my weapon and slowly walk to the counter. I see him and instinctively open fire. He turns around maybe 90 degrees before he goes down. I start laughing my ass off because it's just what I do. A few seconds later, while looting his body and discovering he had an L85 TWS, I get shot in the back from what looks like an M249 SAW, one of my most wanted guns. During these events, my friend Dylan was in Cherno's church I believe, and then walks towards the supermarket. The 2 guys are gone. As I sigh in disappointment, we carry on. An hour or 2 later, after we gather a couple of weapons. We go back to the supermarket to meet up with our friend Alex. As he walks through the front door, I start opening fire because I'm an asshole and I think it's funny. I hit him once or twice and then he starts complaining. We head for the back of the store to maybe find some food. Alex asks for a blood transfusion, so I comply. As I'm giving him the transfusion, I'm technically in the room that's the back of the store, and he's in the main part of the store. 2 guys walk towards him and take him out swiftly with what looks like an L85 TWS. I start yelling at the top of my lungs over Skype "OH SHIT OH SHIT THERE ARE 2 GUYS SHOOTING AT US!" I lean over and then shoot the L85 guy with my AKS-74 Kobra. I start wondering where the second guy is. Dylan is in the back of the store being a coward and hiding, so I walk to the main part of the store. I'm getting shot at but I don't know from where. Then, at the corner of my eye, I see the 2nd guy. Out of rage I run up to him and empty my whole clip into him. We both drop to the floor dead. I hear over direct chat "Fuck this" then I check the player list and I saw them leave. I start celebrating and cheering as I know the 2 guys are dead. I respawn in Cherno (what luck) and head back for the supermarket. During the whole encounter, Dylan was actually running away from the supermarket, so I'm the first one in. To my surprise, I discover that it's the 2 guys from earlier who I had killed. Once Dylan and Alex come back, we gear up, and leave, with some new loot.

Edited by fede032

Happily taking an l85a2 from a bandit I killed I countinued to live my days as a bandit hunter. I hid out in a building after noticing a few snipers with my thermal in Maruko at Lingor Island. Couple of shots with my DMR, both dead, +2 for my bandit kill count. After that, noticed a couple of bandits in a UAZ. I hide in my building, one comes enters, few shots, dead. After that, I warn the other bandit to leave because I easily could kill another person entering. Too bad there was a window beside me and I wasn't taking too much pre caution. One shot to my head, dead. I guess living as a hero is just as good as dying as a hero. Well played bandit a**holes, well played.

Hi everybody, been playing this a while now and decided to join the forum, those are some great stories :)

Had a few fun times on this game and managed to steal two choppers in a week which had me rushing so hard i was shaking and had to take 15 mins out where i couldn't play.

The first was up the north east airfield, and two people were raiding when i caught sight of them from the north bushes at the top of the hill which i had made my way round to from black lake after a water refill, i was using the M107 and as they ran back to the heli and stopped to get in i hit them both in quick secession which was a surprise as they were around 600m, they both hit the deck and appeared to log out (not sure if lag) and then log back in,

i wasn't having that so i took two more shots and finished them off. then i ran down the hill like a excited little boy toward the airfiled and jumped in and took it for a ride, after that i flew it to a safe location but forgot to save it, must have returned up the airfield after that as i never went back to where i left it after being told about saving it.

The second heli i stole was more fun, i had just been killed and after spawning i heard a heli fly over so i decided to run after the sound, it was a long run but then the sound became louder and i could see dust behind a town barn in the distance. Shots were being fired as i got closer i ran around the barn from the back and jumped into the hovering heli , also while doing this i saw a guy in the barn shooting zombies that were spawning and walking into the barn, the heli then began to take off and as i looked around while i was in it i noticed it was full of players, it must have been a squad.

As we started flying off a thought entered my mind - they must think i am the guy in the barn from their squad, i began to pmsl while all excited, then after a short flight they began shooting people over a heli crash site and jumped out to loot it and jumped back in, my plan was as soon as they were out i would jump out and then jump back in to the pilots side and steal it right under their noses, i got my chance, the pilot landed again in a different spot and got out, i was as sharp as lightning jumped out, jumped in, and then hit Q and held it, the rotors were just powering down but after hitting Q they quickly got me off the ground, it was done, Grand Theft Chopper!

As i started to fly away i noticed the comments section in the left bottom corner..

Oi....bring that back!..............I am the server admin!

I was pissing myself, i quickly typed the reply

Lol!

Then the admin tried the nice approach.

please bring it back....land it please

I was feeling a bit out of order as they had probably put a lot of effort into getting that heli going so i decided to land it after taking it for a long flight and doing loops, what i didn't realise is there was still a player in the back and i had taken him for a joy ride lol, then i began to land but while in hover mode just off the ground a player jumped out, the feeling i had of guilt i had vanished in a second and survival kicked in, i had to get away! i pressed and held Q as fast as i could but the player was too fast and sniper shot me through the window, i don't know if the heli crashed or landed but it was a good bit of fun which i wish i had caught on video.

• Like 1

The life of a Medic is a hard one.

I kinda made this commitment when I started Dayz, that I would play nice and never kill anyone, unless they're clearly bandits.

Recently, and because I wanted the Hero skin, I started to take the role of a medic. Gathering medical supplies and walking around Elektro healing people and giving blood.

Despite my lack of backpack and guns, and my clear direct chat messages, I've been killed, robbed, shot at more times than I can count. I even got good at evading pursuing players and losing them. Quite a fun thing to do in a city, actually.

Eventually I started to avoid groups of players (can give eachother blood), and opted for a more careful "spot and access" approach.

Finally I make contact with the nicest guy I met during my time as a Medic. And after he killed some zombies for me and we got safely inside, I give him a blood transfusion, and place my last blood bag and a bandage on the floor saying "One for the road ;)". And then he kills me.

Shortly after I find my first silenced weapon. Thinking how sick I am of avoiding zombies, I'm not going to pass it up. Nevermind if it means being less trustworthy.

I spot a crawling survivor near the train station. He's bleeding. And I think:

My time has come! TO THE RESCUE!

I swiftly discharge my gun on the Zeds and shortly after I'm alone with the bleeding survivor. He says nothing but clearly needs help. He crawls towards me as I state proudly

"I'm a Medic. You're safe now."

I go up to him, scroll to the option to bandage him. Click on it.

**paff**

I hear flies.

Horrified and confused I realised I fired my gun accidentally. And I happened to be pointing straight at his head!

...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU**!

I could curse at all the distrust and lack of morale showed by so many. But the truth is. I suck at being a Medic anyway xD

• Like 4

Had an amazing experience the other day, thought I'd share.

I spawned near Balota, and did a quick run of the hangers to get a weapon. Managed to get an AK47, some mags and some basic supplies. I had all the survival equipment and a serviceable weapon so decided to strike out north and see what I could find.

Running due North of Balota, over and down a couple of hills I came across a single house at a crossroads. Ahead, in the far distance, there was a strange, tall futuristic tower - it looked like nothing I'd ever seen before and I decided to investigate once I had examined the house. I had plenty of ammo, so had some fun shooting zombies until the area was clear. I then sprinted down to the building to get a closer look.

Finding nothing of interest I decided to loot the zed corpses of any beans or ammo, and was just examining the last one when I heard rotor blades and saw little puffs flicking up in the dust right around my feet. I was being shot at from above. I had no idea how the bandits had got the jump on me, but fortunately I was near the house and made a dash for it, hoping to put the structure between me and my would-be murderers. I had escaped unscathed, for now.

I had not enjoyed enough time to spot the chopper, but I must have chosen the safest side of the building because after some frantic scanning I could see the rotors of the helicopter as it set down behind a low ride about 300 yards away, on the other side of the building from where I had hidden. Any doubts about the intentions of my new friends were quickly dispelled when, leaning around the corner, I saw a lone gunman appear at a canter from around the ridge which largely obscured his ride. In his arms he was carrying an M249 SAW.

I instantly realised that, for the time being at least, I had the advantage. My attacker knew that I was behind the house, but could not be sure which corner, and as he flattened out his run to investigate I was able to open fire into his side with my AK. Heart pounding, my aim was horrible, but his continued to be worse as he sent a burst of fire over my head. Before he had a chance to steady himself and fire again, my stream of bullets had found their mark and he was down, face down on the grass, sprawling in full view of my position, and by now less than 50 yards away.

I knew I had very little time. Working on the premise that it is quite hard to fly a helicopter and shoot at the same time (no matter how badly!) I reckoned on his friend(s) being nearby. If they had any sense they would be trying to outflank me. I reloaded my rifle just in case. No time then. My priority was to loot the body and get out. I crouch-ran over and started emptying my pack of the less useful items in anticipation of the loot haul I was about to receive.

Pack off my back and down on the ground, I was rifling through it when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Surely.. Nah I killed him. He's dead. Why else would he.. but no he's crawling, spinning round to my position and he's raising his machine gun. I'm quick, I still manage to shoot first, but why have I gone prone, and why's my gun switched to semi-auto mode? There is no time to change it. I frantically fire off a half dozen rounds. Three of them hit him in the chest and all of a sudden he's yelling in the direct comms. I don't understand a word of it, but I'm well versed in the language of DayZ telling me I'm fucked. The broken limb symbol appears and all of a sudden I have a minus level of blood. I'm exsanguinated. Kander has died.

That's the story of the stupidest thing I have yet done on DayZ. Not checking my 'murders' count. It's a stat that would have saved me, but I'm still against the disruption that this counter brings to the immersion of the game. My enemy must have been unconscious and I made the fatal error, in the heat of battle, of not checking I had finished him off. How he survived enough AK rounds to knock him down and out, and then still be able to take another three in the chest and survive I do not know... But it's a mistake I won't be making again.

• Like 1

The Setup (August 19th)

So we start our Saturday logging onto Server US 1257 around the Balota Airfield, our aim was to see what kind of fun we could have. From previous day of gathering/playing we've amounted to me (BazookaTooth) having an AS50, Coyote Backpack with a FN FAL, and a bunch of things needed for survival, my buddy Jambnasteh (forgot your toon name) had a M14 AIM that he borrowed from our Canadian friend, he also had a Coyote backpack full of survival gear.

Encounter 1:

We barley made it around Chernogorsk through the forest above, when my buddy Jambnasteh decided he wanted to get a little closer to see what, if anything, was happening in Cherno... Pop, seconds later he screams, "oh shit I'm down"...

The panic mode is in, I'm already prone behind a tree, trying to figure out where the shot came from... 5 minutes pass, nothing, no shots, am I safe?. After what seemed like hours of me looking over Jambnasteh's body, he finally arrives, gets his gear back, ok, I can breathe again...

Encounter 2

A mile later, we make our way across the open field NE of Cherno and NW of Electro, we are tying to get to electro - again, pop, pop, shots ring out, not close to us however, few minutes later of hiding under a pine we see 3 people running West to North into the forest North of our position, we take aim, we shoot, one goes down, all prone and Alt F4.

Encounter 3

moving on.. after the failed attempt to kill all 3 we finally made it across the open field into the wooded area on other side of the field, more shots, oh shit... Tango spotted, south by the railroad tracks, someone yells, I think he got someone, zombies spotted chewing on someone - Maybe 20 feet to the right I spot a Bandit with a ghillie suit on, crouching, looks like he just took out his target, Jambnasteh gives me the range, heart is pounding, I zero in, shot fired... He's down.. Yes I can breath again, just have to calm my heart down...

Encounter 4

We make it to hills North of Electro, time to setup shop. - Enemy Spotted! he's on the hill East of Electro, I shoot, nothing.. Wait.. there's another one, hes on top of the Fire Station by the power plant!, pop, shot fired he's down.. Jeff has been killed. Hey Jambnasteh I'm going back up a little to look for the one that got away..

Encounter 5

Back on top of the hill I'm looking for the one that got away, I hear 2 loud shots and I'm dead!.. NO! - I instruct Jambnasteh of my last known location as I wait to respawn, Jambnasteh investigates, i can't find anyone, he's looking.. I'm almost back after 10 minutes or so to the spot, pop pop... Jambnasteh is dead, oh shit we're both dead with all our beautiful guns gone!

I had just climbed the hill and decided to just go for it, maybe ninja the gear and the hell out, I found a body, it's Jambnasteh's, I got his L85A, ok it's on like popcorn.. - Ok Jambnasteh I might be able to put him down, especially with the infored view.. Pop, I'm down.. No not again, I'm dead again fuck, he moved back some from original location, he was watching the body from an angle I did not expect. God Damn it!

The final Encounter.. 6

15 minutes or so later, Jambnasteh and I are almost back to the hill, we had luckly respawn locations, close to the area.. I found my body! Oh shit I see the dude, he seems to be looking close to me! I'm scared to death, I prone, I don't think he's spotted my body!, I yell out over Sky to Jambnasteh!, he seems to be camping your body!. I dive deep into my corpse, yes my AS50 still on with everything but the 24 slot Coyote Bag that had the FN Fal, god damn it, I didn't even get to shoot that thing, oh well, no time to mess around, the enemy is still there right in front of me, Jambnasteh wtf you doing, he runs right next to me, then moves.

I'm prone, and lost sight of the target, Jambnasteh running around zigzagging trying to figure out what to do to get his shit back.. Oh shit, the dude's talking over Direct Voice Chat, he's asked Jambnasteh to leave or he'll get shot. I tell Jambnasteh over Skype, keep him talking, keep in busy, I'm flanking around the side, I don't want to leave.. I want to get our gear back.

Jambnasteh yells back, "Yo man can I get a Pepsi or something? I've never been in this situation before, I need a drink bad.." The enemy - "Stay put, I'm going to put a Pepsi on your corpse." - I yell over Skype "Jambnasteh keep em talking, I noticed your Direct Chat is directional, I can somewhat tell where the enemy is, I'm almost done flanking!".

A new voice! Oh shit - "Hey man, I'll let you get the Pepsi if you help us, there's another guy around here, help us kill him" - Jambnasteh responds - "Oh yea yea.." I see them! I'm talking aim, "Jambnasteh! keep em talking I yell" - Pop, AS50 shot to the torso, he's down, my heart is racing, it feels like I'm gonna have a heart attack.. Oh shit, he other one is moving he's heard me, and how can he not, I shot an AS50 from about 20 feet away! - Noo he's spotted me, looks like he's taking aim, I zoom in on him, staring him down, he's staring me down, he must be winded from just sprinting, it's down to milliseconds, who will die?

I try to keep the cross hair on him, but by now my hand is shaking so bad that I can't get a good shot! Oh God, help me! - Shot rings out... I'm still standing, my heart drops to my intestinal tract, I'm spent, heart pounding, hands shaking!

Forest has been killed.

"Jambnasteh Jambnasteh I got them both! it's over", "Yes, that was amazing!", "Lets loot and get the fuck out of here". Jambnasteh yells "My shit's all gone!" "Are you sure? Make sure you check all the bodies, including mine and yours again!", "Oh there it is, the L85A2 AWS, and my pack" yells Jambnasteh.

A few minutes later we've checked all the bodies, overall losses sustained are the my FN Fal, and my 24 slot Coyote Backpack with some ammo.

More Shots!, lets book it I can't take another fire fight, my body is an emotional wreck.. We make it down the hill away from where the shots came from.. Esc > Abort > Disconnect.

Time to go pass out, I can hardly move.

P.S. Jambnasteh is Andew.

• Like 2

logged in outside of electro, saw a dude going into the fire station with the smoke stack, saw him with the thermal of the l85, zeroed in with the range finder, waited for him to come out and then i opened fire, i missed every time, he started running in the direction of the lake north of electro, i switched to my m249 and headed to cut him off, i would run and then stop and then shoot and continually miss, now we are less then 100 yards, i see him go prone behind a tree so i go around the right and he starts shooting me and i return fire, but it is to late and he killed me, i spawned near electro and ran back to find nothing, he hid my body, cheers to you sir, good hunting

• Like 1

I'm becoming complacent.

I found a very sleepy server where I know a motorcycle glitch spawns on reset.

I've been circling the map killing zombies, collecting ammo for my m16ACOG and PDW, and I had not seen another player in most of a week. (king of da castle, king of da castle!)

Today I rode up to Stary military tents, as usual, the UAZ was pointlessly sitting there, it's Red today.... how nice.

Clearing the tents I was fairly happy to have found stanag and PDW rounds, and proceeded to perch myself overlooking the tents to pick off the zombies meandering below.

After a few long minutes of killing zombies, I hopped back on my motorcycle and began to head NE meeting up with a treeline.

Just as I am approaching the treeline, riding at nearly 50mph, sniper rounds zip past me, 1 on my left, the other to my right, both seemingly very close to their mark.

I began weaving the bike erratically to avoid any other rounds, until finally disappearing into the treeline.

That was my first contact in 6 days.

I think I got very lucky, and picked the exact right time to leave Stary, just as some murderous bastard entered.

And to the "sniper" who didn't get my motorcycle, my tasty gear, or my 12 day old survivor.....

:P

High Highs, Low Lows, a Mysterious Stranger - The Brilliantly Epic Success of DayZ

Zhhhvvvt! Another zombie bit the dust courtesy of my rapidly improving crossbow skills. I had come out of Novy - happier than ever, after weeks of playing, I finally found: matches! I decided to swing around southeast and loot a few places before I refilled water in the ponds of Mogilevka. Low-risk area, lightly populated server - no worries, right?

---

I was on top of the world... well, on top of Chenarus, anyway, at 430-some meters above sea level. I found a boar just south of the Lesnoy Khrebet (Forrest Ridge?) peak. With my best stalking skills, I caught up with him, turned to keep out of sight, and went in for the silent kill with my trusty crossbow. Zhhhvvvp! –miss! Zhhvvvt! Got you. Cooked him good, regained blood, took a swig from my canteen - I had finally made it - self sufficient survival. The elusive, lofty, endlessly method-argued state we all ponder. The ultimate goal of every zombie-enthusiast to prepper across the globe (save the goal of a lovely like-minded woman to share the apocalypse with - this Bud's for you, Scotty).

After briefly enjoying my first campfire dutifully hidden in some bushes and trees, I pushed on to gather a few supplies, with the ponds north of Mogilevka as the destination to refill water. By chance, a Chenarussian solider-zombie spotted me despite my meticulous jog through the forest, and he gave me quite a chase. After finally losing him, I gazed uphill. The small village of Guglovo looked innocent enough, a few regular houses, not too many zeds. Easy pickings for a simpleton survivor like myself. So in I went...

After a relatively fruitless search of the first few houses, I ran into some zombies that came around corners and from behind bushes at the exact wrong time, from the exact wrong angles. I was patiently crawling, waiting, tactically moving (yes, with a strategic-ish plan - but the best laid…). Before I knew it, a few were right on me. I dropped one or two with the crossbow, and retreated inside a building to throw them off.

"DAMN!" I proclaimed to no one in-particular from the safety of my Mom's basemen- I mean, my Command Center. Bleeding, minus three precious 'steel bolt' arrows, my entry into this two-bit town has been a small disaster.

With resolve, I retrieved one of the arrows and continued through the town, ever optimistic that I would find some awesome stuff in the last few houses,

"Bound to!" I concluded, after going through Dire Straits in such a small town.

But then, - still slowly crawling mind you - approaching the last two houses, every zombie for 50 meters starting converging on my position.

My tactics were up to the test now. Expletives flowed.

"Shht!"

"Fack!"

But, even with my widely arrayed vocabulary, and thousands of hours of PC shooter experience, I said to myself:

"...Game over man! Game OVER! Da fck are we gonna do now?!?..." - there was only one option for survival.

RUN.

So, I did. Balls-to-the-wall, I comically looped around a house - lost a few zombies, picked up a few, lost them - then to only pick up the first lost zombies on the other side [b'oh!]… So, out of town (and desperation) I went. Through the trees and brush to the south, I lost them miraculously quickly.

Equally amazing, I triple-checked to confirm I wasn't bleeding. Sure, I had lost a lot of blood from their attacks, but no open wounds? Hm, okay… With just over half my blood/pressure remaining, I continued my trudge south, utterly abandoning Guglovo, its loot, and all but two of my arrows. Though I was deeply unnerved by the last several minutes, I carried on, chin-up.

Jogging and crouching at periodic bushes to keep up my SA, I skirted the road south to Kumyrna. Not much there, loot or threats - maybe I could regain a bandage, painkillers, a steel bolt if I was lucky - then head to the ponds and quench my thirst.

Despite my judicious effort to maintain maximum situational awareness, out of nowhere I hear jogging footsteps very close behind me. I turn and hit the deck in a single, fluid motion – one that could only be developed from thousands of expert infantry and special operations cough*PC FPS*cough experiences – I caught the briefest glimpse of a man in a ghillie suit 10 meters behind me.

CAPS LOCK: "Um, hello?." - I was completely frazzled. Frightened, I lacked any contact with another survivor for days, and was without direct voice-contact with another human for many days.

"Hi." A slightly accented voice replied.

"Uh, I don't really have much on me" was all I could muster out. This guy behind me, who I'd totally lost sight of, clearly had the upper hand. I was toast if he wanted, but I kept my pistol pointed his general direction anyway. No fcking way I'm going down after all this without a fight.

"It's okay. I won't shoot you. Just don't look at me." Unable to pin the accent. Interesting.

I complied. Like a scolded dog, a weak child, with a broken spirit - I relented. Basically 'giving myself' to this absolute stranger, I turned to the side, and almost powerlessly looked with Left ALT to see what was up.

He materialized from the brush and grass, from prone to crouched, and immediately I saw his massive sniper rifle (DMR maybe?) lowered, but clearly ready. As he approached, I repeated I didn't have much, but would be willing to share.

"You sound pretty scared. It's okay. I won't kill you. Just don't look at me."

"Okay."

"You need a gun? I have one."

"Oh, well, gee, yes, if you have extra." I was flabbergasted. Gee? What am I, in the '50s?

"Ok. Don't look at me. I will leave it here, but don't turn around until I fire into the air."

"Ok, wow, thank you so much."

"No problem. Remember, don't turn until I fire into the air. Don't trust anyone."

"I won't," replying to both instructions.

A few seconds later, a few shots. I didn't dare move a muscle for at least a few more seconds. As soon as I turned, I saw before me an M4A1 CCO and six full mags. I couldn't believe my eyes. Even after weeks of playing, the Enfield [much respect to Mr. Lee btw] was the best firearm I had seen. It took me about 1.5 seconds to dump my crossbow and two bolts for the shiny new rifle and mags.

"Did you get it?"

"Yes, thank you. I didn't want to turn too soon."

"It's okay, good luck."

"Thanks again, you too!" - but he was already gone. Did he help me? Absolutely. Was he friendly? Technically. Was he warm or accommodating? Absolutely not. He was as close to a: silent, deadly professional, with benevolent heart, as I can imagine in this game. Thus far, my experience on DayZ has led me to believe this mysterious individual is one rare bird. Thank you, Man With No Name.

I started playing DayZ several weeks ago with only a few IGN videos for reference. I’ve been shot out of nowhere many times. Hackers? Sure they’ve got my server a several times.

But this time – this time was what it’s all about. In an instant, I could have been dropped by this guy in one shot, despite my vigilance, scanning all my surroundings constantly, despite my meticulous map-planning and server-choosing.

But instead he said one sentence – eleven words – I couldn't see him anymore, the sound of his voice, probably because of all my precious supplies accumulated painstakingly, I complied. I knew to avoid other survivors. I knew not to trust strangers. Hell, I couldn’t even pin his accent, but I succumbed.

I still feel a little ashamed of myself for yielding so fast. Even though it turned out awesome - an M4 ACOG witn 180x5.56 - I let my guard down, at the mercy of this total stranger.

I can’t help but wonder, was I a total wuss for giving up and just lying there? Was it the best choice?

“He coulda killed you, easy. It was the right choice, just look how it turned out!” says the tiny halo-wearing Lawrence on my right shoulder.

“No. You gave up. You were scared, you were tired [from a video game], you were low on water and supplies, and you just gave up like a total puss. You failed the test. You trusted this guy who was stalking you. In real life, you’d be just another dead assh*le.” Pinto in the red costume, opposite shoulder.

For now, I’m thinking I was wrong in just laying there. If anything, I should have ran, jinked side-to-side, zig-zaged. But not just lie there and trust this total stranger with a gun to my backside. I still feel violated, and that I let it happen out of cowardice.

Sure, I was beaten up, thirsty, on the run, and frankly quite shaken by my near-death experience moments before. This was a total stranger who completely sneaked up on me, said a few words, and I trusted him. Was it the way he spoke? Was it my desperation, cowardice, or over-attachment to the loot I had obtained over the course of many days? What caused me to stop and yield to this guy? Probably a combination. In any case, I still think about this relatively minor event, even many day(z) after the fact.

Rocket went way above and beyond here. To take the mainstream, boiled-down and dazzled-up Zombie Apocalypse, and turn it into something real - I’m going further than ‘authentic’ here :) - something that humanity at large can access, explore, and develop, is an absolutely engrossing, fascinating, introspective and enlightening thing. Now that I have friends playing, we trade stories of our DayZ experience almost as if they happened in real life.

"Oh dude, I totally killed three guys with a grenade after mowing down two" from CoD etc.is not a topic of conversation when a couple guys get together for beers. There is no emotion, no thought-provocation, or learning that occurs from those games. (Don't get me wrong, still love 'em.)

DayZ takes virtual reality to a new level. At least as far as a 20-something zombie-enthusiast dude like me can see. Countless other miraculous, despicable or plain bizzare stories adorn this forum and others. I'm unaware of any other outpouring of mass intellectual growth on a such a fantastical subject. I've barely played mmos, never WoW, etc. But DayZ has become a small instituton. It's taken this hugely popular, almost totally science-fiction subject, and somehow removed the speculation and fiction. Given all the limitations on computer games and a mod's resources, DayZ is still the Zombie Apocalypse Simulator. It fits in perfectly between repetitive run-and-gun gore [still love you too, L4D], and crafting/quest/'superpower' stuff that turns many of us off to mmo games. And Rocket did all this in a chillingly brutal, but beautiful way.

Cheers Sir. If I ever see you, I hope we can have a fine BBQ, a couple of fine cigars, and share a well-aged bottle of Apocalyptic Whiskey.

-P

P.S. Thank you for trying to include horses. Appaloosa for me, please. And I'll take the dog from Road Warrior. Many thanks. :D and +can of sardines to everyone who gets my few pop-cultural references.

P.P.S. Apocalyptic Whiskey, Apocalypse Whiskey, Zombie Whiskey, End of Days Whiskey, Armageddon Whiskey, Rapture Whiskey, Four Horsemen Whiskey, Whiskey ZED, are all TM'd by me now so :P

Edited by pale.rider
  • Like 5