DZR_Mikhail

Perma-identity. Nickname is permanent. Nickname as face. Cover face - conceal nickname.

What do you think about this?  

1. 1. What do you think about this?

• Bullshit. Hope it never gets into DayZ standalone.
    • Not very good.
    • Can't decide. Seems ok and doubtful at the same time.
    • I like it.
    • Definitely a must have for DayZ standalone.

Only problem I see is that players might at one point change their name to add a clan-tag or change attributes of their faces because they got bored with the old looks.

Especially new players have a tendency to just start playing and trying out the game, before changing all the settings like usernames and character details. Forcing those to use default-values just because they didn't change it before logging in the first time, is problematic.

I see a possibility tough, that a handshake-system when implemented could allow to just remember people in general, instead of being only a friendslist. If you add a player by handshake it could save it as "Remember player as "nickname"" and whenever he changes name, you still see "NewUser (nickname)" as a name, to see that it is someone you know by another name.

Considering that a person walking by me, on the road, does not necessarily have to know my name, face or be able to recognize me later, it would be logic for me, to only recognize people you really know. "knowing" someone could also be an automatic feature, that triggers whenever 2 players are close to each other, not in a firefight and stay like that for several minutes. So people playing together for 20 minutes tend to recognize each other again later.

"not changeable" as a system default is a bit limiting I think. In a postapocalypse, you should be able to call yourself whatever you like. No one is checking your papers anyways...

But of course it should be possible to remember players by the name you encountered them first, even if they change their name. Having a local "player I know" database for every Player might solve that. System gives you GUID and current nickname, but if you know the GUID by another name, you see that too.

just my few cents. I like the idea but strict limitations always leave behind a bit of a strange feeling... Not only because I'd like to call myself the Hobo of Cherno, attacking other player with tincans, without having to stick to my fate or name forever.

• Like 4

An incorporation of this 'handshake' idea (plus animations to go with it) would be an amazing addition to depth and immersion:

By adding the 'handshake' to the existing nickface suggestion, bandits playstylers will get to retain that extra layer of anonymity that they are so afraid to lose.

At the same time, a 'friends list' has been born and more friendly fire incidents can be avoided.

3) Ability to see who is on server is such an enormous cheat, that I can name it as a "GODMODE WALLHACK". For **rist's sake, how can anyone possibly know NAMES of people when entering an apocalyptic territory?! This must be definitely removed for good. Buddy\Group systems suggested earlier may cope with that. People just see where their friends are playing. That's OK! Even now in PlayWithSix you can track your buddy. But being able to know who is playing on the server... This feature must be left ONLY to admins.

Definitely disagree with this point. I understand that yes, logically IRL you wouldn't know who is in your "Zone" per say but... it seems unnecessary in terms of gameplay, and I don't see how its negative. If anything its informative because once you know who is a bandit, you know that hes online - thats it. Just because you see someones name on the server list doesn't mean more greifing. In my experience with private/public hives, I have had no problem identifying who was friendly just because of sidechat - this alone was atleast enough for my friends & I to identify who was being suspicious & who was not... Who was trying to bait noobies for the easy kills, etc. I think some form of sidechat should be a must. I absolutely do agree on stopping name changing. If you wanna be a douche fine, but your identity stays with your name. Awesome! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I do see where you are coming from with the mask identity idea, but having nameplates in the SA (seeing as how terribly OP it is in the mod, especially when you can just scan the horizon and see their name pop up) wouldn't be something I'd suggest. If this feature was implemented, they would definitely have to address obstructions of sight such as shadows, walls, grass - any material that would obstruct a persons vision to clearly see someones face. You shouldn't have the ability to see someone 300m away from you (even in broad daylight) and clearly identify their face without say binoc's, hence it only be a short range method of identification. Then obviously at night, masks would not play as much of a huge role unless the player exposes him/herself to light in front of others. With that and the combination of multiple clothing options, should make forms of identification between players relatively... easy :lol:

Definitely like the idea though.

Cheers,

Lidskjalf :beans:

As long as the player name popping up is gone, the suggestion isn't bad. Just no username pop-up thing (in video)

When you look at people in real life, there's no name thing that floats in front of them. SA is going to be as realistic as possible, so logically thinking, they wouldn't add that in.

• Like 1

you guys rez'd this topic and apparently barely even read it? you both brought up points that he deemed solved, and rightly so. this is STILL one of the best suggestions. i cant believe it hasnt been implemented in the mod, and i hope it will be in the standalone.

Not really the best idea out there, where is the point of perma death, aka losing everything when you die if you do not also lose your rap sheet?

• Like 1

I get it, I think it would be good, but then how would you stay anonymus? You can't, I don't think it would be that great, bvecause it would have a lot of problems, and if it does get implemented the range of it should be like 5 feet or something

I get it, I think it would be good, but then how would you stay anonymus? You can't, I don't think it would be that great, bvecause it would have a lot of problems, and if it does get implemented the range of it should be like 5 feet or something

Did you read it? Cover your face with a mask!

I like it. There are possible snags for implementation, but I think some form of persistent identity would be worth the effort. Also, you do a nice job substantiating your argument. I definitely want something like this in the SA.

I would really like to have a permanent identity that I can build in the post-apocalyptic world as I please

so, if X kill you later you respawn and know that X killed you, how you know that if 1st you is dead ? :murder: nicknames also should be annonimous so ypu wont know who is in the server , just show as survivor 1-2-3 etc go play SP or non-pvp servers

I've been thinking about perma-identities recently, when I watched RP-Videos.

It should be possible to modify a server, so that You have to whitelist on a forum so that the whitelisting ends when the player dies.

You would create an identity, a profile, a Story in the forums, get whitelisted for that and when you die, that character is dead. You have to create a new one, that gets whitelisted (as soon as a spot is free).

This could be extended, so that other members can vote for stories that they want to see in the game and those players get whitelisted earlier than those with bad stories.

I think having only one life in a RP-Scenario would give a lot to the game. It would give a real value to a life. But it only makes sense in Roleplay environments.

You have put so much effort into this and I love it. I think it would change a big part of Dayz! This is one of the better ideas ive seen, also one with good arguments and research

Btw sorry for the post spamming! Trying to get to 500 posts tonight( without making to stupid of posts)

I like the concept of having a somewhat customisable face, In the Mod I played on a server that allowed me to pick ARMA 2 marine heads and I felt this was pretty much perfect. My team had a reasonably easy time identifying me when I wasn't in camo gear. When I was in camo gear they had to make the authentic choice to figure out if the person they were aiming at was me or another camo wielding player.

How might you ask was this an authentic choice? Player nicknames are not displayed on this server.

I think that nicknames should be used solely to identify you in chat when you type(as you can not hear a voice from text), I think that other than this purpose they should not be displayed in Day Z at all. Locking a nickname to a Day Z SA purchase might be a worthwhile endeavour though.

In the real world you identify your friends by what they are wearing, their actions and their face. If you can select a few different faces then combined with the SA clothes customisation and having no displayed name, you would have your authentic experience.

I agree that the bandit skin idea doesn't realistically fully fit into the authentic feel of the game and with the upcoming clothing customisations in SA I hope that it gets tweaked in some manor.

Edited by Xeiom

I like the initial aproach (perma nick name acting as face) and the corrections (changable after 3-6 months, distance relative/clicking for name to appear). The question of introducing one self and thus revealing the name could lead to players assuming other people's ids just to smear their reputation, so... no, unless one can only reveal true id. In that case though, we should all have the ability to "tag" unknowns if they don't want to introduce themselves, (bet there are going to be lots of "a$#@!es" going about ;) ).

My biggest issue is aesthetic. How do we explain respawning the same after death. Unless there is an underwater lab facility that spawns clones of immune humans in the infected zone, in order to collect data for a cure or aliens conducting their own experiment... My point is, there has to be a plausible explenation for this, and it holds true irrespective of the name tag, (but becomes more imperative with it). People say that it's a z game, how realistic can it be? In all successfull sf/fantasy endeavors, the common denominator is that beyond the original set that stretches what is believable, all other parametters remain true to what people should expect.

Edited by Wisper

Hello there,

I liked this idea a lot. I've been thinking on this idea pretty much and I've happened to find similar solutions for the possible problems that may occur with such a feature being implemented. However seeing the player's nickname still sounds kinda useless to me. With such a feature, players must be able to remember the characters but not learn their nickname at all.

As to solve this issue, your character could put names for the players, whose faces your char can see. As an example of this;

You see a person's face and it is saved as "Player1". You see another player's face in a close range and that player is got to know as "Player2". You could name those people by going thru a window, in which all the players faces and names are shown. You could then just change those names "Bandit1" "Hero2" "Coolguy" "Friendly32" "Friendly33" "Jack" "Michael" and so on..

^This would solve a big issue.Think about a new player trying to be a bandit. He became a very famous bandit and died. Then he wanted to be a hero. But everyone would now know him as that big famous bandit and no one would believe him trying to be a hero. If you would find a bandit, you could simply name him as "Bandit_001" or such if you could get very close to him and see his face closely. Then in the future you would always see him as a "Bandit_001". When the char would die, a new face would be made to create another character. A fresh new start. If he had enemies, he now has no one hating him. If he had friends, he now lost them as well. Perma-Identity should IMHO only apply for characters, not the whole account.

To Sum Up: Noone could really learn other peoples' names by just looking at their faces. You can give them names unless they dont tell you their names and remember them as those names you give them.

Thanks

Regards

Edited by SoulHunter

I forgot to mention you have 1 or 2 days before your nickname gets permanent. Before that, you can change it any way you like.

Does the timer restart with every change? Because then really dedicated trolls could change their name every day or 2 days.

Guys! Totally forgot about awesome idea that emerged on forums many times. I can't claim authorship, but I add it to my presentation and I extended it a bit.

+ BUDDY\SOCIAL LISTS (NEW! HOT!)

I would only like this idea if it was constant in only one life. Nobody is going to be able to identify a face other than white/black/mexican/asian unless they have super-hd monitors and are right by them.

Very good idea! I give you my beans!