Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - 23 Sept 2015

qRxbArc.jpg

Evening Survivors,

In this week's Status Report our Lead Producer Brian Hicks fill us in on subjects such as the CLE and a bit on work on the engine. Also, Lead Designer Peter will be commenting on work that has been done in regards to firearms.

Contents This Week

Development Board Spotlight

G19.jpg

Dev Update/Hicks

Greetings Survivors!

Much to the delight of our reddit community (I'm certain) we'll be covering some points on the ongoing refinement of DayZ's in game economy this week, as well as talking about some upcoming content to the game, and a quick recap on the progress of upcoming engine changes for Enfusion. Lastly, Peter will talk briefly about future changes to how ammunition is handled in DayZ.

Don't forget to keep your eyes and ears open during TwitchCon - as I'll be speaking about Aerial Transport, Contaminated Terrain, and an additional little surprise I hope you'll all be excited for as I am. (This should be hosted on twitch.tv/dayz)

We've normalized the 0.58 stable branch economy around 27,000 minimum spawned items across Chernarus. The most prevalent items of course are clothes, tools, and resources required to survive. Internally we've begun setting the system up to apply lifetime to items upon their creation (spawning) so that player interaction with items is no longer required. This should take the economy a step further towards keeping things robust and moving. Region control is the next major step for the economy, which will allow us to restrict certain items to spawn only in certain regions - This way we can ensure more of those basic supplies are kept spawning on the coast to ensure folks have what is required to move inland, regardless of player traffic.

For 0.59 we'll begin experimenting with making civilian firearms a little more prevalent, and ammunition will begin to be more of a rarity. The desired effect being that ammunition itself will have an increased value, so that the decision to take that shot has more factors to it. That said, loose ammunition types that are used by civilian weapons as well as military have had their potential loot spawns expanded so it can be found throughout Chernarus. (7.62x39 for the IZH, 45 ACP for the 1911, and so on)

Issues with duplication, and magazine quantity manipulation have been identified and are being resolved, and NATO military gear will be moving out of the Quonset Hut Barracks and back to their proper NATO chopper crash spawns.

The art team is working on finalizing the upcoming Enduro Dirtbike model, which will hopefully be joining the vehicle distribution in 0.60. This vehicle will probably be our most accessible type, but like all other vehicles will need the proper parts, and operational fluids to maintain and use.

FRoidCX.jpg

On the engine side the team is working hard towards a functional merge for several areas, keep in mind just merging these modules and systems are just the beginning. Configuration, testing, and iteration will need to occur.

- Renderer has entered initial functional testing with internal Q/A
- Animation System development is in progress, and the animation team is working closely with the programmers to begin testing/implementation.
- Network Optimization is a top priority, with issues such as player desync, gunshot sounds, and vehicle position being tied to this work. Network profiling tools will be used on 0.59 experimental branch servers so we can gather data on exactly what is occurring.
- Damage System is being configured, and under initial testing with Q/A & Design Team
- Physics System has had several key issues resolved that may be related to some of the Infected AI server costs. This is under test/investigation
- Infected Bugfixing is still under way, and daily test passes are being run against the commits

We've got a lot of work ahead of us in the coming months, so please make sure to file any issues and bugs you see over at the Official Feedback Tracker.

- Brian Hicks / Lead Producer

Dev Update/Peter

Firearms, who doesn’t like them? They equal power. One can obtain food through hunting animals, defend oneself against infected or even hostile survivors. There are firearms related mechanics which were added specifically for DayZ’s requirements such attachments, modifications, chambering and others. Also former functionality of weapons such as machine guns, rocket launchers or underslung grenade throwers will be brought back.

To get closer to authenticity of firearms some changes to their handling are being currently implemented. Chambering became a real part of the weapon instead of invisible magazine with 1 bullet count. This will allow players to attach a magazine to a chambered weapon effectively increasing the amount of available bullets which wasn't possible before. Reloading is also being revamped, as R-key will be dedicated to the manipulation with weapon like manually cycling the bolt, pull back charging handle in case of jam or even rolling the drum of revolver when you decide to play lethal games with some friends. Don't worry about losing R-key for reloading. As a replacement for R-key you will be able to reload your gun directly from the quickbar by choosing the corresponding slot with magazine in it. Magazines will be swapped during reloading action. Also loose ammunition will work in same way, choose right slot and gun will be chambered.

Another nice change is that bullets in magazines/piles are no more just numbers of amount but are really independent objects which means they can contain ammo of different quality. Combination of damaged ammunition and non maintained gun leads to higher possibility of jams. With different type of ammunition in magazines, tracers will experience their comeback and help us to revive night gameplay a bit.

Keep your pockets organized... see you in Chernarus folks! 

- Peter / Lead Designer

Community Spotlight: Blazerunner70

Excellent, I was lucky to stumble across a small cluster of random DayZ gems on Youtube. Yep, there's a nice mix of friendly player interaction, a bit of pvp, and a bit of roleplay. The videos were created by Blazerunner70, and although the videos are a couple of months old, they still do show the kinds of adventures that players can come across in DayZ.

Now, the audio levels are a bit off but the content of the videos is quite nice still.

Saving bambis, one pumpkin at a time :D

Hopefully you'll enjoy the videos as well, and as always, if you have some nice DayZ videos you can always go to the Gallery on the DayZ forums and share them with us.  Until next week everyone, stay healthy, stay safe!

Header image credit: ṂҒ | Marzipan

- Michael aka SMoss / Community Manager

• Like 7

Wow! Can't wait to see the new reloading, R-Key functionality, and firearms jamming. Will we see hammer bite from the 1911? :thumbsup:   I'm thinking we'll be hearing a lot of magnums spinning. I guess this will mean that we'll be able to pump the hell out of a shotgun too. Can't wait!

Great Status Report!  :beans:  Love the bike :wub: (it would be awesome, if we could start the bike without the exhaust - it should be loud  :D)

- Physics System has had several key issues resolved that may be related to some of the Infected AI server costs. This is under test/investigation

- Infected Bugfixing is still under way, and daily test passes are being run against the commits

Thanks for word regarding the current state of infected bug fixing.

Feel free to throw in a few "infected spawn on" servers to 0.59 experimental.  :)

Edit: the dirt bike (known strangely as motorcycle in the mod) was one of my favorite vehicles as a solo player because it was easier to get running by yourself.

CM2RH.jpg

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 4

The new firearm stuff sounds awesome.  I only have one comment/complaint on it.  I would really rather not see loose ammo be able to be hotbarred/quick reloaded.  Dragging ammo to reload particular weapons, or when you don't have a mag, is one of the best parts of the game imo.  It adds that extra stress level, and a bit of player skill, to the process as well as potentially slowing things down at least a little.

I really hope they can go back on that decision.  The mags having to be hotbarred is actually a cooler step in the right direction instead of just hitting R, since you'll have to organize your bars better.  Just the loose ammo being able to quickly reload is going to take away from the experience of using those weapons that require it imo

• Like 2

Dragging ammo to reload particular weapons, or when you don't have a mag, is one of the best parts of the game imo.  It adds that extra stress level, and a bit of player skill, to the process as well as potentially slowing things down at least a little.

I agree it adds stress, which is good. But, not in the right way. Dragging should be completely eliminated.

Every item interaction in the game should be done with "hands". If you pick something up, you need to grab it by using your hands. If you craft something, one item should be in your hands the other on ground or table (or even potentially craftable items into one hand each!) . Reloading same way with using hands.

Dragging is like simulating using your hands, but in the most un-immersive un-natural un-interactive way possible. The new animations system along with using your hands should help the world seem more interactive and natural.

I have no idea if this is the plan, but makes sense to me.

Edited by Coheed_IV

Looking forward to some dirt bike action.

Weapon reloading sounds great...the more manual options the better. Some guns automatically reload atm so it will be nice to be able to take a shot and watch rather than the automatic reloading animation taking place.

I have always liked the idea of ammo rarity...needing to appraise whether taking the shot is worth it or not. I hope we get to the stage where finding a handful of bullets is cause for joy.

I love the dirt bike cant wait to use the sedan, bus and hatchback. I hope to see CLE do good in the future with loot respawns .

I agree it adds stress, which is good. But, not in the right way. Dragging should be completely eliminated.

Every item interaction in the game should be done with "hands". If you pick something up, you need to grab it by using your hands. If you craft something, one item should be in your hands the other on ground or table (or even potentially craftable items into one hand each!) . Reloading same way with using hands.

Dragging is like simulating using your hands, but in the most un-immersive un-natural un-interactive way possible. The new animations system along with using your hands should help the world seem more interactive and natural.

I have no idea if this is the plan, but makes sense to me.

Could you clarify what you would mean by using your hands to reload in this case, since the gun is already in your hands?

I completely disagree about it being un-immersive/natural/interactive.  I think dragging is a great mechanic that represents the process of moving an item in your inventory at least.    I agree with having to put things in your hands to do a lot of processes, especially crafting.  I think the two compliment each other.  Reloading being the current best example, but for instance I wouldn't mind seeing you having to hold a knife then dragging the clothes to it to cut them.  Or to open cans etc.

I just don't want things in the game to be simple button presses, because things get too gamey.  It sounds like you're suggesting something else though so I'm interested.

I mean unless they drastically speed up reload times with things like snap loaders and stripper clips, they are going to be obsolete if you can just hit a button to reload guns like the double barrel, revolver.  And even if they do speed up the times, I think a large part of the novelty of finding those speed loaders is going to be gone.  It won't be as big of an upgrade.

Maybe another item should be introduced like a bandolier that serves that function, of being able to go on the hotbar and loaded with loose ammo.

The game needs to slow down, not speed up.  It should force decisions.  This simplifies/makes things easier.

Edited by Bororm

the new reload mechanic ...wow ..that s what i m talking about....little details so much powerfulll!!!!!:) thx y all!!!

All we need now are Cigarettes and a special key to "Take Drag from Cigarette" and my Brooding Lone Wolf life can begin in earnest.

• Like 2

Could you clarify what you would mean by using your hands to reload in this case, since the gun is already in your hands?

No, your right. But, using the quick bar slot (that you pre-planned), is like using your hands. It will start the process. Probably anything more (like just holding ammo then using) would get way to complicated with animations.

Picture this scenario, You have a one suppressed hand gun, one magazine, and a load of bullets. You move through town with the weapon chambered, one shoting infected and re-chambering as you go. While, keeping your one full magazine to be used for sticky situations. Both options could be used with one key press at anytime. This would all be done without going into any UI.

That to me is the best part, not relying on UI. I hope using hands eliminates more dragging and UI using. Like the vicinity pane, that should be done just by looking at item and picking it up with your hands. Either "pick up" or "stow". Picking up should auto stow what in hands, then pick it up. Stow should stow what's in hands, pick up, stow that item, and take back out original item. Even if it's semi automatic, I like it more than the mouse being my virtual hands in UI, I want my hands to be my hands! :P And use them in game screen (context action or quick bar), not UI.

I get your concern about the pace, hope they can replicate the tension somehow. But, imo it shouldn't be done through UI cluck. I like how you will have to plan reloading out. Dayz is really good at learning from mistakes and this goes along with that. I hope it includes the magazine needing to be in pants or vest (to be fast) and having some different animations to go along with it. Hotkeying the ammo in backpack would still work, but take longer.

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

-snip- Hotkeying the ammo in backpack would still work, but take longer.

Last I heard we are getting an animation for looking into backpacks.

Something like you will stop, take pack off back, open top, look down into pack, now viewing/using items inside.

Now that's adding pacing for tension and makes you plan how you use your pack differently!

Edit:

SMoss

Can you offer any word as to whether windows will open and/or be made break-able?

Edited by BioHaze

The new firearm stuff sounds awesome.  I only have one comment/complaint on it.  I would really rather not see loose ammo be able to be hotbarred/quick reloaded.  Dragging ammo to reload particular weapons, or when you don't have a mag, is one of the best parts of the game imo.  It adds that extra stress level, and a bit of player skill, to the process as well as potentially slowing things down at least a little.

I really hope they can go back on that decision.  The mags having to be hotbarred is actually a cooler step in the right direction instead of just hitting R, since you'll have to organize your bars better.  Just the loose ammo being able to quickly reload is going to take away from the experience of using those weapons that require it imo

The way I read it, it seems that to reload a magazine, you will have to have it in hands (hotbarred), and drag the ammo to it in UI or hit hotbar for loose ammo to reload magazine.  You might have gotten bummed about nothing.  The description of hotbarred ammo being chambered at the tap of a key sounds similar to the magazine reloading scenario I just described.  As long as magazine must be held in hands to reload, I don't care where the ammo comes from; be it vicinity, your pants, the half-empty magazine of the dead man lying in front of you; as long as the magazine must be equipped to hands.

The way I read it, it seems that to reload a magazine, you will have to have it in hands (hotbarred), and drag the ammo to it in UI or hit hotbar for loose ammo to reload magazine.  You might have gotten bummed about nothing.  The description of hotbarred ammo being chambered at the tap of a key sounds similar to the magazine reloading scenario I just described.  As long as magazine must be held in hands to reload, I don't care where the ammo comes from; be it vicinity, your pants, the half-empty magazine of the dead man lying in front of you; as long as the magazine must be equipped to hands.

I hope you're right but the quote doesn't read like that to me:

Don't worry about losing R-key for reloading. As a replacement for R-key you will be able to reload your gun directly from the quickbar by choosing the corresponding slot with magazine in it. Magazines will be swapped during reloading action. Also loose ammunition will work in same way, choose right slot and gun will be chambered.

I'd love to see animations implemented for reloading mags too, it's pretty silly that it's instant.

quote: "Another nice change is that bullets in magazines/piles are no more just numbers of amount but are really independent objects which means they can contain ammo of different quality. Combination of damaged ammunition and non maintained gun leads to higher possibility of jams. With different type of ammunition in magazines, tracers will experience their comeback and help us to revive night gameplay a bit."

Cool!!! I just love tracers in Arma 3. Especialy when they fly around me.

quote 2: "For 0.59 we'll begin experimenting with making civilian firearms a little more prevalent, and ammunition will begin to be more of a rarity. The desired effect being that ammunition itself will have an increased value, so that the decision to take that shot has more factors to it. That said, loose ammunition types that are used by civilian weapons as well as military have had their potential loot spawns expanded so it can be found throughout Chernarus. (7.62x39 for the IZH, 45 ACP for the 1911, and so on)"

Not so cool!!! "Civilian" ammo should not be so rare. Especially if zeds are back in game.

+ I really appreciate progress on the new renderer

+ I like the more realistic flair on something

- all I read is weapons, weapons, vehicles, weapons and weapons. Nothing about content apart from shoot, spray, pray.

Looking forward to 0.59, though, should finally have time to play again from mid next month on :)

• Like 1

Not so cool!!! "Civilian" ammo should not be so rare. Especially if zeds are back in game.

Depends on your view of the game. Survival simulator (currently far from it), sandbox (nope, weapon store with shooting range) or oversized PvP shooter (current state). If the latter is what you're after, you're right and ammo should be plentiful. For all other means, the amount of canned food, weapons and alike NEED to be scarce.

Hehe, I'm PVE type of player. But I love exploring and killing zombies. Bow and arows suck, and mêlée is not so good either.

Hehe, I'm PVE type of player. But I love exploring and killing zombies. Bow and arows suck, and mêlée is not so good either.

your PVE type of player and you liking to explore and kill zombies both are the same thing i suppose ?  :D

I wholeheartedly agree. Melee needs to be worked on - it only makes sense if guns are not lying around like smarties, though :.-)     I mean, if you can hit a zombie with an AK or a lugwrench or sword, what will you choose? ;)

I also think the game itself would benefit from more content, not only the PvE side of things. How about ... just imagine you can find a book on weapon technology and build a "home made RPG" or mortar with a grenade and a tube or so; people who have not read the book or been teached the skill by you can only use the grenade for what it is and throw it.

This kind of skills could also be farming or medical skills for instance. Lots of possibilites, lots of content possible.

I could also think about uses of electricity for instance when it comes to content elements apart from spray and pray.

Base line is, though, that content will never be of significance as long as guns are like smarties, thus I'd love to see this element cut down and new content introduced. This will not take away the PvP aspect, but who on earth uses horticulture, if I could throw you to death with all the canned food I find ...

Edited by Noctoras

your PVE type of player and you liking to explore and kill zombies both are the same thing i suppose ?  :D

If that is not PvE, what is???

If that is not PvE, what is???

looks like my knowledge of english making fun of me! 

you said that your a PvE type of player BUT you love exploring and killing. thought that But is for Conflict. anyway, off topic:)