xdarc

And so it slowly dawns on me... Dayz sucks.

I don't understand. OP just bashes all types of pvp and some people say he had valid points?

Server hopping and ghosting aren't new points.

He complains about "deathmatch" style pvp, then bashes "camping" style pvp. Of course people that sit in a bush for 3 hours will have an advantage in combat, they waited for that advantage.

Just come out and say you're one of the people who runs around in fields and wants snipers removed because you don't know how to stay in cover.

• Like 1

The alpha is the perfect place to get trained up for the Standalone, while gear is still readily available.

What is the reason for expecting so much content from a game that is in alpha status that started as a pet project? Even in its current form DayZ represents what the 90's did for us experienced gamers. How cool was it to fire phasers and give orders as Capt. Kirk in Star Trek 25th Anniversary? How about Indianapolis 500: The Simulation on one floppy disk for Dos? The original Command & Conquer and the smash that was Red Alert. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, I recently purchased on Steam to reminisce.

The 90's represented the best achievement in gaming because the technology was moving so slowly that the story, the immersion of the game was essential to its success. As the technology began to progress more rapidly we saw the development of 3D games and modem/online multiplayer games. I certainly enjoyed the Quake and Unreal Tournement bloodbath multiplayer games. In my opinion the technology for presenting the story and characters started to stagnate by about 2000. I won't dispute that graphics have gotten better since 2000, but how has flashly graphics ever improved story telling?

DayZ represents a 90's style innovation in gaming. DayZ has managed to make your character valuable enough to physically get your heart beating hard when a situation is getting out of control. Most games there is some way of recovering your character, or reloading at your last save point. In DayZ, you might have the prospect of a 8km hike back to your body and the chance that it won't even be there anymore.

DayZ seems to have attracted a number of players who don't understand what surviving means, those people will eventually filter out, but I believe that DayZ will be left with a large enough loyal fanbase to keep the standalone profitable.

I hope to see in the standalone, the ability to convert the offroad pickup into a technical, or having to collect a bunch of scrap metal and construct a still for purifying water for a large group of survivors. Perhaps have a funnel in your toolbelt and fill canteens when it is raining.

Back in the Alpha, I always have something to do. Sometimes its just me playing, or my wife and I and we do laps of the map collecting gear for our group. It never hurts to stockpile. Maintaining a fleet of vehicles, rotating parking slots and recovering stolen vehicles becomes a full time job. I play on one server, and you get to know the regulars that way, you figure out the areas they like to go through and then you ambush them or die trying. DayZ represents the ability to digitally wake up our hunting and survival instinct, I doubt any other game can do that this well.

• Like 2

Personally, I can't wait to join a clan server at nighttime and hunt for their camps. All the time and energy spent collecting ammo and equipment gone in an instant when I raid their tents. Anything I can't carry I will destroy. Their tears will be delicious.

1. hackers will be fixed, so will spawn killers and campers. they will likely get banned from doing repeditive actions.

Banned for camping? Not likely, at all.

Banned for camping? Not likely, at all.

no, i mean those fags who camp with a sniper and just kill NOT for loot, but for fun. they don't have anything but the sniper, and they server-hop and alt-F4 if they get spotted to save their asses.it has happened multiple times with me. once i, as with many other people, were sniped all on the roof of the office building in electro. first there was one dead guy on the roof, and when i respawned (after getting shot on the roof) HOURS later, there were about 15 dead bodies IN THE SAME AREA. people see the dead bodies on the roof, go to loot it, get killed. people see the bodies on the roof, go to loot it... it is a long repeditive cycle that can only be stopped by

A) killing the sniper

B)wait until the sniper gets bored and leaves

C) don't go near the dead bodies because obviously a bunch of dead bodies on the roof at the same spot is very obvious that there is something happening up there, and eventually the events of B will happen

D) ban the offender.

i feel for those people who had died on that roof that day... the countless innocent survivors, Heros, and even bandits....

imo they are the only people who somewhat ruin the dayz experience. that and hackers.

but alpha.

Edited by camycamera

The only reason sniping is so prolific currently is ammo duping. Sniper rifles will be few and far between with the only common ammo being DMR. M107s and AS50s will be so rare during standalone that the lone sniper will be very difficult to pull off. Lets say someone does find an AS50, it will have 10 bullets, 15 if he is lucky. That might mean he could kill five people if he got very lucky to be in position.

After a few months of playing dayz I found out how to really play and enjoy dayz. Don't give two fucks about what happens to your character. Don't even give one fuck; just let the good times roll. Grab a weapon grab a friend and grab some beans and do whatever you feel like. If you die, it's not the end of the world because you get to enjoy looting all over again.

yep, thats the right way, i play like this, too^^

I just can't understand people still whining about the weaknesses of DayZ. How many times do we have to shout "alpha" ? No, it still doesn't have an endgame. And this right before, everybody knows about, the standalone coming out soon. Useless, waste of time. An alpha version is not a complete game, you can't compare it to other full developed games. Test it, help to develope, like it or not. If you don't like, go play something else.

Edited by gambla

Halo isn't bad at all :(, if you have looked, Halo has innovated many-a-time, even with it's newer instalments. I can't see much wrong from Halo apart for it being an exclusive.

but CoD is complete and utter bullshit, and everyone has to agree here. Ruining the bloody gaming industry....

wasnt fucking bad wtf, the jumping was retarded and it had to be slow to kids with d-pads could handle it. halo 2 what the fuck, the worst campagne ive ever played. Not really innovated no, but i thought the vehicular multiplayer was fun to play with friends. thats what consoles are for to play with friends.

There's more to life than Cherno and Elektro y'know. Get out there and explore the countryside, there's less death matching. :)

You're rage is as endearing as your tears are delicious.

Cry some more, Op.

"With blacks ops2: zombi-" Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait..... wait. ... how about no?????

See, look what you did. Now I just think your trolling, and this isn't legit QQ... now I can't get off.

This board of the forum should be titled Whining General. Seriously, it's all that ever happens here.

Actually, I am on vacation from DayZ for the exact opposite reason compared to the OP. The game requires a tremendous time investment to get good gear if you don't want to kill people. I have a good estimate of my abilities in a firefight, and that is rather discouraging. So I spend hours travelling the map, getting good gear from deerstands, heli crashes and the very occasional trip to airfields. Eventually I get killed by a mistake, and have to start over again. Having a job and a family, I simply cannot get to endgame due to time constraints. Like Minecraft, surviving is relatively simple, but then you start getting ideas. Motor transport, stockpiles, distributed bases. And due to the scope of the map, these things take time. Encounters are truly frightening experiences, because you can lose days of work in the blink of an eye.

All in all, if I had the time, I sure would be playing. But at the end of the day, I just play casuals because this is to immersive. (Hate it all you want, but CoD is exactly what it says on the tin. Nothing more, but definitly nothing less. I just stick with what I got instead of paying on a yearly subscription basis)

For the 400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000nth time, it's ALPHA!!!!!

ALPHA. nuff' said. once standalone comes out, hell, when the full game comes out these problems will be fixed.

1. hackers will be fixed, so will spawn killers and campers. they will likely get banned from doing repeditive actions. look at PlanetSide 2 for example, they have a system where if someone is doing the same unfair thing over and over and over again they will be kicked off the server or something, and PS2 also has 24/7 protection with this.

2. zombies will be overhauled at standalone, they will be less predictable will travel in herds EVERYWHERE randomly, can throw up on you to give you infections, and there will be a randomised system, for example there will not be "hot spots" for zombies for spawning, it will be random. also, the ability to tell if someone is in an area (for example, if you are a huge distance away from a town and there are zs at that town, it shows that there are people there, but if there are no zs there, there are no people there) will be removed, meaning that no matter how far away you are from a town, there will ALWAYS be z's there (it could also vary with randomised spawning). z's will not spawn in sight of people. basically, zombie encounters will be as random and nearly as dangerous as encountering other players.

3. for loot, i think in standalone that on low populated servers there will be siginificantly less loot than populated servers, meaning that you would have to stick to the danger of populated servers, thus keeping the intensity of dayz without cheating and going on low populated servers.

basically all of your gripes on Dayz will be fixed in the near future.

and ALPHA IS GOD DAMN ALPHA.

oh and BLOPSII?

bitch please, don't get me started on that piece of shit series.

Great story but, Of course your entire post is pure speculation unless you are actually Rocket..

• Like 1

Just fucking no. The current gens are fucking retarded Call of Duty + Halo franchises are fucking flatout retardedly bad. 90s games has some seriously innovation and ingenuity. The current AAA games are just repeats of the same game over and over and over again. Next Gen graphics sure, but the content is completely shite.

I mean why do you think they resurrect old 90s franchises like Fallout etc? Cos there the fucking bizzle, and most IPs nowadays are trash.

Anyways your post gets the award for biggest fuktarded statement I've read in sometime.

...Assassin's Creed is a current generation of game, and yet each game gets better.

wasnt fucking bad wtf, the jumping was retarded and it had to be slow to kids with d-pads could handle it. halo 2 what the fuck, the worst campagne ive ever played. Not really innovated no, but i thought the vehicular multiplayer was fun to play with friends. thats what consoles are for to play with friends.

what? the jumping is apart of the game, who cares if it was ridiculous because EVERYONE had it. how did that make the game bad? that is the only thing people say is "bad" about the halo franchise: something that wasn't even bad and/or "retarded". the game wasn't "slow" for "the kids" (why do you think so many kiddies play CoD and not DayZ? (BECAUSE COD IS FAST AND DAYZ ISN'T), and never was "slow"; it was more of a "medium" speed, and with the vehicles it is much more fast-paced, but that is Halo's playstyle. oh, and remember in Halo 3 where you could change the speed, gravity and EVERYTHING with your own custom gametypes?

Halo brought the standard console controls to the modern day console, even though FPS's don't play well on consoles, Halo is the best of the bunch when it comes to controls. that is innovation. so was being able to completely customise your game modes, your maps (and your own sculptures, thanks to Forge), and even to be able to customise the damn campaign and firefight modes with the skulls. Halo 2 also introduced duel-wielding and hijacking vehicles, and that was damn epic. those are what i can think of from the top of my head, anyway.

and Halo 2's campaign bad? seriously? you failed to mention what was "bad" about it. it was BAD ASS, that is what it was. ahhh, the memories of jumping on that scarab, killing everyone inside, or the time where i played on legendary, and how scared i was of the nearly invincible elites that could survive about 2 plasma grenades stuck on them, and even a fully charged plasma shot form a plasma pistol. the story had it's twist's and turns, it's epic and wtf moments, it's EPIC music and, just like all of the Halo campaigns, it's HUGE amount of re-playability. it was awesome. ahhh, my childhood memories.... i love Halo. the only "reasons" for saying it "sucks" is "oh, he jumps so high." problem?

aaaaaaanyway, back on topic (kinda):

Great story but, Of course your entire post is pure speculation unless you are actually Rocket..

this video mentions (i think) some of the things i stated:

Day Z Developer Session (w. Rocket) (Eurogamer Expo 2012)

but i got some of the ideas from FrankieOnPC, and he said they were happening in standalone, so i said what he said, video i think is here:

SILENCED AK HAVOC! - Battlefield 3 (w/ Heli Tips)

he starts talking about DayZ and some of the stuff i mentioned at around 9:07

EDIT: i forgot where i got the zombie spawn things from, and other things i might have gotten it from a suggestion in the DayZ forums, but i bet it is very likely to happen anyway. a speculation, yes, but a very good one ;D

Edited by camycamera

There's more to life than Cherno and Elektro y'know. Get out there and explore the countryside, there's less death matching. :)

Some of us have done that... I've spent hours countersniping various areas and playing guardian angel, I've done bike tours of Chernarus blasting Immortal Technique, fixed vehicles, jacked vehicles, operated a party bus, fixed choppers and spent hours shuttling noobs around just for the hell of it, I've tried every map currently released...

You can only get so much enjoyment from the "features" currently in the game, there's no way to generate content of any form and unless you're in a locked (which is stupid) then EVERYTHING degenerates into pvp... maybe you're not murdering people but it's pvp none the less.

The game needs to be more about zombies and survival and less about stupid shit, people in this thread need to get Rockets nutsack out of their mouths and either admit that the game in its current (and announced features) form is horribly flawed or just stay the hell out of threads like this one. Nothing constructive ever came out of blindly fondling a developers nutsack. I'm rather sure Rocket would prefer creative input over "shut up, it's alpha, dont play if you dont like it, go die".

edit: also I'm not sure what kind of magical servers you're playing on but on EVERY server I've ever played Cherno/Electro was less dangerous on a person to person basis than anywhere else in the map, leave the coast and it's KOS for 99/100 people.

Edited by Nekosan

This all can be attributed to "My game preferences are better then yours! If you like x games better then y you are dumb! Neener neener!!"

• Like 1

Some of us have done that... I've spent hours countersniping various areas and playing guardian angel, I've done bike tours of Chernarus blasting Immortal Technique, fixed vehicles, jacked vehicles, operated a party bus, fixed choppers and spent hours shuttling noobs around just for the hell of it, I've tried every map currently released...

You can only get so much enjoyment from the "features" currently in the game, there's no way to generate content of any form and unless you're in a locked (which is stupid) then EVERYTHING degenerates into pvp... maybe you're not murdering people but it's pvp none the less.

I think it's important to bold the "features" because while DayZ is billed as a sandbox, there is a HUGE distinction between sandbox games and sandbox mentality. I could join a BF2 game and aside from the fact that there is a win condition, it has the same "sandbox" elements as DayZ -- that is to say, none.

The persistence + LACK of a win condition ALLOWED players to mess around like they would in a sandbox, but there are no sandbox tools besides those inherent to any game. Take away the win conditions of ANY shooter, and you'd have the same essence as DayZ. I can snipe in BF2, or heal people, or hoard vehicles, or take their kit after I kill them.

Compare this to an ACTUAL sandbox like Ultima, EVE, minecraft. Players can take on different roles entirely all within the same game. In order for that to happen, the GAME needs to create environments that FACILITATE players filling these roles. Clearly some games are more suited to certain roles than others, but I just don't see it ever developing in DayZ. It's been 6 months with zero progress, I expect the same pace in standalone.

• Like 1

It's been 6 months with zero progress, I expect the same pace in standalone.

Brutal, terrifying and probably true. It's hard to know whether, in spite of Rocket claiming the mod would be developed alongside the standalone, in actual fact the mod has been 99% abandoned in favour of standalone. In which case there is still reason to believe much will be fixed in standalone. if, however, the development of the mod roughly matches the standalone's development then we are all fucked

If i give a a can of my finest beans and one of my coldest Mountain Dews I am sure you will come back :beans:

Edited by Spartan_ZA

This might have been mentioned already, but I didn't feel like reading through 4 pages of "alpha" and off-topic chit chat, but OP is right. However, Rocket himself said that this stage of the game, let's call it "birth", was only meant to be one, maybe two days of gameplay in his scheme. As in, getting to know the game and he was surprised at the attention and amount of play it received. He's also stated several times that the zombies are not scary now (I think he classified them as 2 while he wants 7 - 8) so basically.

All in all we can't really base a lot of the Dayz gameplay on what we've seen so far as this was only supposed to be a tiny part of it. We have gotten introduced to framework of Dayz which I think most people are happy with, apart from the hackers, what most people are complaining about now is content. And we haven't really seen any. For a game with basically no content, we sure have had hours of fun.