Trizzo

Standalone Poll: First Person Only?

First Person View?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support first person only view in future versions of DayZ?

• Yes, first person only
    • No, i want other camera options

Its so real,people have choices.Also the center the game is built around the most unrealistic event,show me zombies IRL,maybe only on these forums.

Edited by Bushman

Rocket said something along the lines of this, I added 3rd person because the human eyes can see 180 degrees in-front of them right? but in first person you can only see 70 or whatever the FoV is set to. But people use 3rd person to there advantage by looking over walls or around corners etc.

People use scopes to see what they normally wouldnt see either.And i cant really use zomies IRL to tell if someone is in the gas station down the street from my house,may need to pull those too.

Edited by Bushman

I honestly see no point in these threads, if you dont like third person, join a server that has that locked, WOW IT'S LIKE MAGIC NO MORE THIRD PERSON. people have a right to play as they want, some people are just trying to get their epeen the biggest and say they are right.

This is meant to be ultra realistic. Can you go 3rd person in real life? No. Also, you can turn head bob off if you don't like it.

This.

Like I say, this isn't a game, this is a SIMULATION. Ultra-realistic.

Yes, yes it is a game, I open up steam to play it, I don't have to have military clearance, Oh, and I love that head bob argument it doesnt make 1st person any less sucky! there isn't one other fps that has the crap the ARMA II engine calls first person, I shouldnt get sick from it. and yes, my head bob was off.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 1

I like third person mainly because first person tends to give me a headache, especially when prone. My screen shaking around like I have Parkinson's is brutal, and I'm pretty sure if I was forced to look at that for an extended period, I'd end up with a migraine.

Basically, my reason is medical related.

you know you can limit the head shaking in the arma options?

I started out playing in 3rd Person. But since i stranded on Lingor Island I only play on mercenary servers, 1st person, no death messages, no name tags, no crosshare, no 3rd party loot maps, no server hopping for daytime, no adjusting of brightness and gamma settings during nighttime, no bloodmeter. That's how i like it nowadays. I suck at this game but if you want to play dayz with maximum realism, and i think that is what Rocket intended, 1st person is a must.

But i think it's up to yourself so the option of having 3rd person servers can do no harm.

• Like 2

I want to play in first person only but cant finds a suitable server sometimes. However removing third person completley is a tad harsh. I dont know to be honest. Maybe Rocket can come up with something.

No 1stPerson only!

Because of the 1st Person i become from all that Shaking a big headache!

Better ServerAdmin choice, because then are both possible and u can chose what u want to play.

*sigh*

Not this shit again.

Go to options. Go to graphics. Turn headbob all the way down.

Double tap "-", FOV is maxed out. Double tap it again, FOV goes to normal. Double tap "+" FOV is minimized. Double tap again. It goes away. By the way, your field of view in 3rd person is pretty much your field of view in first person. Except now you can tell if someone is sneaking up behind you.

Walk up to wall. Tap Q or E. Peek around corner.

Hold alt. Swing mouse around. Yay, free look!

Cool? Cool.

There are three people who must rely on 3rd person. People who are paralyzed at the thought of turning corners. People who get motion sickness. People who can't see over grass. The first guy's a coward, the third guy can fix it, and the third guy is out of luck.

However, in Metal Gear Solid 2 back in 2001, Kojima already solved this problem with the peek action. By using the right and left corner peak at the same time, you could lift yourself several inches off the ground. And for more than a decade, other game developers have been living in the stone ages completely ignoring it. Seriously, do game developers just not like good ideas when it comes to game controls? Is the only thing they borrow bullet time or what?

• Like 6

First person view, limited fov range to accomodate different screen ratio, fixed floating weapon setting and screen bobbing to reasonable values.

3rd person compensates for peripheral vision. I don't care how many tweaks you make to 1st person, it's still like looking at the world through a restricting visor.

You can get to 90 degrees in 1st person before you get the fisheye effect. That's less than half of our actual field of view (which is about 190 degrees). For a game that relies so heavily on situational awareness, 3rd person is essential imho.

This.

Like I say, this isn't a game, this is a SIMULATION. Ultra-realistic.

Also, you can change your FOV in the config files. Mines currently at like 95 FOV I believe, but they should change it to have a UI so people don't mess things up for themselves.

I say give us the freedom to choose whether we want First or 3rd Person. It's set up just fine the way it is right now. Give servers the option to include it or not, that way people who like 3rd person can use it and people who don't want the option can find servers without it.

there is nothing more to add. let the server admins decide if they want it or not. and the players if they want to play with it or not.

• Like 1

To be honest I only play on veteran servers (no crosshair, no 3rd person, and no hover over info)

As long as they have veteran servers with these things I would be okey with other people playing on servers that makes it easier for them :)

There are a few things that makes 3rd person kinda silly. (Not mention by the OP)

1. You can run around alot without bothering with the painkillers, in 3rd person you can do alot while still "shaking" cause you are not shaking. (silly in my opinion)

2. Driving vehicles becomes too easy and you don`t bump around when driving offroad, Servers with only 1st person people will always prefer roads, making them more realistic.

But as I said. Give people "easy game" servers so we can weed out those guys on the servers I play on :)

Edited by Raventhorn
  • Like 4

The most optimal solution would be making servers where both first and third person is enabled and 'veteran' servers where you only have first person.

I agree that using third person creates an advantage that arguably should not be there in a game like this.

The thing is, there are plenty of people that want to play third person. Should we really turn a back to these people?

From a commercial point of few the obvious answer is no, because if these people know there is only a first person view there will be less players and thus less sales for the stand-alone.

Bohemia is too wishy washy to actually dictate one or the other, they need to grow a pair. That being said 3rd person is for WoW or GW2, not a FPS milsim. I'm sick of seeing videos with 3rd person noobs playing, thinking they're hot shit - these people PvP all day long, but too scared to join a 1st person server like a real man. If they can fix the zeds in the SA, then they can fix ALL the 1st person issues. Or (as I've said before) only enable 3rd person while sprinting. No more ledge camping 3rd person twitch.tv jerkoffs pls. Bohemia's gotta roll in like a boss & just bitchslap it's users, they'll fall in line. You notice the reality of this when seeing how end users treat Bohemia (e.g. DayZ Bounty Mod) - poorly.

Edited by dystopeon
  • Like 5

Bohemia is too wishy washy to actually dictate one or the other, they need to grow a pair. That being said 3rd person is for WoW or GW2, not a FPS milsim. I'm sick of seeing videos with 3rd person noobs playing, thinking they're hot shit - these people PvP all day long, but too scared to join a 1st person server like a real man. If they can fix the zeds in the SA, then they can fix ALL the 1st person issues. Or (as I've said before) only enable 3rd person while sprinting. No more ledge camping 3rd person twitch.tv jerkoffs pls.

Yo, bro you're so hardcore man!

hardcore-demotivational-poster-1221319304.jpg

I play on first person servers only, wouldn't mind if there was no option at all for 3rd person. Intense, immersive and hardcore is how I like this mod. Its just too bad that when noob crutches like crosshairs, nametags and magical periscopes are a server option like they are now, it seems impossible to find a veteran/expert server with more than 1-5 people playing.

So very true - it's so very sad :( - it's due to fear no doubt & the atypical bitchboys that populate the game.

I convinced one friend to start playing DayZ, and he started playing in 3dp:off servers. After 2 months, due the low population in our favourite server, we just tried the dayzextreme server "3dp:on, ch:on, sidechat:on,..." and... well, I think this summarizes our experience:

At first we were killed in Fire Station of Elektro (we were playing in 1st pv). Then spawned in Cherno. We run the city from southeast to southwest... nothings happened. Then we ran from Cherno to Zelenogorsk through open fields... nothing happened again.

We make noise in the city killing Zed's with Lee Enfields... nobody scout us. My mate broke is leg (indoor bug) and a run through open fields again to Cherno to get morphine. Guess what? again, nothing happens. Nobody shoots me with 35 players on the server.

Where were all the people? On the Elektro roofs. We approached the city from NW and scout the roofs from the forest. We saw three snipers in the industrial (two toguether), 4 snipers in the sniper hill, one in the top roof of western firestation... Sad as hell. Nobody moving. No one want to lose his advantage of see everything without been seen. Side chat were on fire: "Anyone in Elektro", "Where are you?", "I am in Berezino's hospital (lie)"... and so on... Everybody keep still waiting for other to move and put themselves on sight.

I can see more action in a 3dp:off 10 players server than in a 3dp:on 40 players servers. Even so... really few servers 3dp:off.

Been selfish... i would love to see more players in 3dp:off, tag:off, ch:off, chat:off servers, but I cannot put my preferences over the rest of players.

Please people, give a try to this "extreme" way of play. Don't get attached to your gear.

The other three members of my group get used to 1st and they don't want back to 3dp:on servers.

• Like 5

Games like this are meant to be played in multiple views, this isn't a FPS. When I want to aim, I switch to aim mode. Everything else is done in 3rd person. I really don't understand why people confuse the type of game this is trying to be with a FPS.

Maybe if DayZ + Oculus Rift happened, then I can see how 1st person would add to the immersion.

• Like 1

Games like this are meant to be played in multiple views, this isn't a FPS. When I want to aim, I switch to aim mode. Everything else is done in 3rd person. I really don't understand why people confuse the type of game this is trying to be with a FPS.

Maybe if DayZ + Oculus Rift happened, then I can see how 1st person would add to the immersion.

I have not played many Zombie Survival Sims previously to this one. :) DayZ is kind of free to set it's own rules. In my opinion first person only is a given, not because of the "cheating" with third person view, but because it adds so much to the tension and fear when playing and not being able to be fully aware of your surroundings. Either stick to first person only or make the camera closer to the player in third so it's more difficult to use as a surveillance device!

• Like 2

After 2 months, due the low population in our favourite server, we just tried the dayzextreme server "3dp:on, ch:on, sidechat:on,..." and... well, I think this summarizes our experience:
I think the title of the server summarizes your experience TBH.

Dayzextreme? Of course its full of useless tryhard trogs, case in point: The extreme caught your eye, didn't it?

I couldn't care less if someone uses "magical periscopes" to spot me, because I'm not stupid enough to blindly walk into obvious killzones.

Just remove all that stupid HUD crap (nametags, markers, crosshairs, ammo count, weapon name, death messages, anything else I missed) and force EVERYONE to actually aim their gun. Then they will have to use 1st person to fight, or they get picked off right quick.

3dp is the way people picture DayZ now. It's what has come to be expected.

Not accepting that, is living in denial.

You really are only looking at this game from a shooting stand point I feel. Very few people want to spend 100+ hours in some narrow viewed first person. I have played on expert servers, even in the pitch black. It didn't do anything special for me.