Trizzo

Standalone Poll: First Person Only?

First Person View?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support first person only view in future versions of DayZ?

• Yes, first person only
    • No, i want other camera options

I think the title of the server summarizes your experience TBH.

Dayzextreme? Of course its full of useless tryhard trogs, case in point: The extreme caught your eye, didn't it?

:

I couldn't care less if someone uses "magical periscopes" to spot me, because I'm not stupid enough to blindly walk into obvious killzones.

Just remove all that stupid HUD crap (nametags, markers, crosshairs, ammo count, weapon name, death messages, anything else I missed) and force EVERYONE to actually aim their gun. Then they will have to use 1st person to fight, or they get picked off right quick.

3dp is the way people picture DayZ now. It's what has come to be expected.

Not accepting that, is living in denial.

I agree removing nametags and the magic range finder you get, plus the removal of death messages so you can't confirm their status unless you have visual proof. Plus weapons need bullet rise as well as drop. That m16 zeroed for 300 yards isnt going to be dead down your sights at 50 yards, but you actually have to aim above them.

Thread necro! Wish the poll stayed in place. No idea why it dissapeared. If there was a way to remove third person camping i would be all for it...it just makes it unbalanced. Somebody suggested running is third person only. I think if you stay in an area (10 square meters) longer than certain period of time (30 seconds) you get locked into first person. At least a camping sniper would have to move around constantlly if they wanted to abuse third person. As it stands I don't mind third person, i've softened my original view but some fix for pitch a tent camping would be decent.

I agree removing nametags and the magic range finder you get, plus the removal of death messages so you can't confirm their status unless you have visual proof. Plus weapons need bullet rise as well as drop. That m16 zeroed for 300 yards isnt going to be dead down your sights at 50 yards, but you actually have to aim above them.

Bullets only drop, they constantlly accelerate downwards, when they appear to be rising they are just falling. What do you mean by bullet rise, overshooting a target when at a higher elevation?

And a rifle sighted in for long range shooting means you need to aim lower, not higher, at closer range shooting. Unless your at point blank range, then your zero has no effect.

Edited by Trizzo

Why people are complaining about narrow view 1st person when it can be adjusted just like you want it in .cgf file?

And I'm against 3rd person.

1st & 3rd. I only use first person for shooting and hiding in trees.

I use 3rd person for everything but shooting or navigating buildings. I do get the whole immersion thing, but the game would look so boring (and even more clunky) if it was forced to 1st person.

My opinion on the matter is the usual: make it an option for servers :T

EDIT: also for all those who want it to be more "realistic" and ditch 3rd person, your real life awareness is closer to the game in third person since your field of view is way larger than what any 1st person game offers, also, moving your head/torso around is easily accomplished irl without loss of attention to other details while looking around in Arma2 isn't as organic. Don't use "realism" as an excuse, if anything, this game makes it very difficult to do stuff you would barely have any problems doing irl (picking stuff up, drinking while walking, etc).

Edited by Rivy

I'm pretty sure Rocket said he didn't want to make "accessible" games. Not only is 3dp the most accessible option one could offer in a hardcore milsim, it's also the games' (dayz) biggest exploit: another thing Rocket claims to actively dislike.

maybe if there will be better FOV.. but i still prefer if i'll be able to switch between them

to change the FOV manually for people who dont know, go to documents/arma 2/ - then find your 'username.arma2profile' and open it with notepad. scroll to the bottom until you find -

fovTop=0.75;

fovLeft=1.3333334;

adjust these numbers to extend your field of view.

i usually use roughly

fovTop=1.3

fovLeft=2.2

if it is not correctly in proportion then the screen will look stretched, so just keep changing it until you find a suitable ratio.

I have modified this as well. It's pretty good compared to the old one.

I currently play on a private hive server with everything on except name tags.

The reason I do this is because it's the only Norwegian server with players on it, and that is saddening to me.

I personally hate what 3. person does to the game (unprecedented situasional awareness; ability peek over objects undetected, easy driving; shattered windshield doesn't matter. no head bob; unaffected by pains etc...), but are forced to play with the setting because the majority of the player base are casual and lazy.

Therefore selfish as it may be I would love to see 3 person removed in the standalone, it has really no place in a gritty and authentic zombie survival game!

And don't get me started on how way-points removes the necessity of the compass, GPS, rangefinder, and basic navigational skills. But that is already confirmed gone in the standalone! :D

Edited by MarcDaKind
  • Like 2

Gameplay> realism

You cannot see shit when in first person, when I am in a fire fight, I am 1st person, when trying to navigate, I use 3rd so I don't get a headache from the bobbing when you walk. I would like to remind u this is a game, not a simulator

Why take away something that a large portion of players like? If you personally don't like it, join a server that doesn't use it. Start your own server and make all the changes you want, but third-person is an appealing factor for half of the players that enjoy Day Z. First person in ARMA has too many limitations /in my opinion./ Not your opinion, but mine.. just wanted to make that clear before I get bombarded by hardcore people that think their play style is the only play style.

Thread necro! Wish the poll stayed in place. No idea why it dissapeared. If there was a way to remove third person camping i would be all for it...it just makes it unbalanced. Somebody suggested running is third person only. I think if you stay in an area (10 square meters) longer than certain period of time (30 seconds) you get locked into first person. At least a camping sniper would have to move around constantlly if they wanted to abuse third person. As it stands I don't mind third person, i've softened my original view but some fix for pitch a tent camping would be decent.

Bullets only drop, they constantlly accelerate downwards, when they appear to be rising they are just falling. What do you mean by bullet rise, overshooting a target when at a higher elevation?

And a rifle sighted in for long range shooting means you need to aim lower, not higher, at closer range shooting. Unless your at point blank range, then your zero has no effect.

You need to learn how ballistics work. When a ballistic is fired it begins to rise during the arc, gain speed (bullet rise). You zero your target based upon where you want the projectile to hit on its way down (bullet drop). Bullets don't just fire in a straight line, and begin to fall. Educate yourself before you try to educate others. Bullets arc. If your zero is on 300m, and you try to hit a target 50 meters away you actually have to aim above. Shorter distances are more level with your sights because the arc occurs in the mid-range of the projectile's path.

For instance, you zero your M16 at 25 meters on a simulated 300meter target because the projectiles path at 25 meters is similar to its path at 300 meters. Aiming down your sights at center mass at either of these targets will hit it right where you aim. However, aiming at 50-250 range and you have to alter your aim to hit the target, IE you have to aim above.

As for all those hardcore people out there complaining about the third person view... again... why? Oh, because you're worried about someone having an "advantage" ... the FPS aspect of this game is hardly the major focus, it's just what you are focusing on... I suggest playing a FPS that is in first person then. This is a game much more than a FPS. I don't find playing in FPS, other than when shooting, enjoyable. Right now I get the best of both words when having the option... and I'm sure a First person only server will be available to you when the game releases, so why are you trying to force everyone to play in first person only?

Oh... right, because very few servers want to play in first person so you are forced to come to third person games... and while a million players want to have the option you think it should be forced on them to play in first person only because maybe a few thousand want to play that way... Right...

When I play a tactical shooter game, I want first person. This isn't just a tactical shooter game. So I welcome the choice. There is nothing realistic about this game in first person, sorry.

When I want to look behind me, I don't look just over my shoulder. I turn my hips, my torso, my head... I can see everything behind me. When I'm driving in a vehicle, I don't just see the windshield/some dash. I see out the side windows, I can see the mirrors, the passenger seat, the entire windshield, etc. That is the kind of realism you'll only get from something like Oculus Rift.

Close minded people.

Bohemia is too wishy washy to actually dictate one or the other, they need to grow a pair.

In my opinion first person only is a given, not because of the "cheating" with third person view, but because it adds so much to the tension and fear when playing and not being able to be fully aware of your surroundings.

QFT. This should be a design decision not a popularity contest. 1st person introduces limitations and those limitations make the game harder, scarier, and better.

Super Mario Bros. didn't come with multiple camera views and an "Overview mode" that let you see the entire level at once and plan your every move. Those limitations forced a single play style. Guess what it was still a great game.

• Like 2

QFT. This should be a design decision not a popularity contest. 1st person introduces limitations and those limitations make the game harder, scarier, and better.

Super Mario Bros. didn't come with multiple camera views and an "Overview mode" that let you see the entire level at once and plan your every move. Those limitations forced a single play style. Guess what it was still a great game.

Wow. Lets compare against a 30 year old side-scrolling game... Reaching a little bit there, aren't you? There is nothing harder, scarier, or better about playing in only first person. You are just whining, like the rest, that others can see you from hidden positions.

You know, this was a problem in games like Rainbow Six Vegas, because that's a shooter. This game is not a shooter.

lol, had to comment because you're just a walking contradiction. Mario Brothers was a linear game, with only one direction. You had an overview of a large area that let you plan your move.

Honestly the game's choice of third person/first person is just fine the way it is.

Some of the points that I've seen

-Not being able to be fully aware of your surroundings makes it scarier. Well yes it does but it also makes it more like Call of Duty and I've had enough of first person shooters myself. I think the game is just fine the way it is in this respect in giving those players who -want- that extra challenge but allowing players like me the ability to see their character and a bit more of their surroundings.

-Being able to see over and around objects without risking yourself is unrealistic/unfair: Well alright if you wanna take that argument it also isn't realistic that I have to choose between three planes of stance; standing, crouching or prone. I should be allowed to choose the height my character stands at and allow for less risky but still dangerous view over objects, I should also be allowed to stick a mirror to a knife with gum to look around corners or I should be able to quickly bob my head out of cover for a split second without keeping my head out for too long. Or better yet we should be able to wave our hand out from cover to attract potential fire from enemies that have too itchy trigger fingers. Or we can just leave it the way it is because that's just too much effort than to just allow players to peek around corners in third person. You also forget, if you're peeking around a corner in third person you know where you're not looking? Everywhere else. It carries an inherent risk pretty much no matter how you go about it so this point doesn't really stand its ground very well in the light of the fact that it's a video game and people are just gonna have to deal with not being able to just keep their sniper scope over a kill zone without risking being seen by people who don't want to step in to that killzone.

-Shooters should be more like mario because that's a good game: Uhhhhh... Well alright, why don't we eat mushrooms to grow taller and jump on zombies' heads to kill them rather than burying a hatchet in it? Seriously dude, that's a crappy point. Comparing zombie apples to pixel art oranges. Thanks for coming on the show, try again next time and be sure to try the veal.

-3rd person is for casual and lazy gamers: Or it's for people who have grown sick of COD and the FPS rampage that's been going on for the last five years and welcome a zombie game that lets us look around ourselves and look at our characters if we so desire. Personally I adore the ability to just... admire my person from time to time. She's damn sexy holding that Lee Enfield, it's a bit silly and immature to seek to deprive other people of something they like simply because your close minded opinion doesn't like it. It's really quite stupid actually, you don't like it so nobody else should have it? Really man, grow up would you? Not everybody thinks or likes what you do and your opinion isn't the only one.

That's all I got for right now, cue the raging hardcore COD or BF3 or whatever shooter happens to be the rage now a days to breathe down my neck about how terrible a person I am for thinking these things and how sexually indecent it makes my mother.

There is nothing harder, scarier, or better about playing in only first person.

Have you spent more than 10 minutes playing in 1st person?

Have you ever crawled up to a helo crash surrounded by Zeds, with little more than their grunts to keep you from running into them?

Have you ever laid in a bush unarmed as a heavily armed player ran by, hoping you're completely hidden but expecting his footsteps to stop at any moment?

Have you ever driven a vehicle with a broken windshield from Grishino to Gorka to search for parts at 10 kph because you were afraid to drive off the road while praying a burst of machine gun fire from the treeline doesn't end your life?

Honestly the game's choice of third person/first person is just fine the way it is.

Some of the points that I've seen

-Not being able to be fully aware of your surroundings makes it scarier. Well yes it does but it also makes it more like Call of Duty and I've had enough of first person shooters myself. I think the game is just fine the way it is in this respect in giving those players who -want- that extra challenge but allowing players like me the ability to see their character and a bit more of their surroundings.

-Being able to see over and around objects without risking yourself is unrealistic/unfair: Well alright if you wanna take that argument it also isn't realistic that I have to choose between three planes of stance; standing, crouching or prone. I should be allowed to choose the height my character stands at and allow for less risky but still dangerous view over objects, I should also be allowed to stick a mirror to a knife with gum to look around corners or I should be able to quickly bob my head out of cover for a split second without keeping my head out for too long. Or better yet we should be able to wave our hand out from cover to attract potential fire from enemies that have too itchy trigger fingers. Or we can just leave it the way it is because that's just too much effort than to just allow players to peek around corners in third person. You also forget, if you're peeking around a corner in third person you know where you're not looking? Everywhere else. It carries an inherent risk pretty much no matter how you go about it so this point doesn't really stand its ground very well in the light of the fact that it's a video game and people are just gonna have to deal with not being able to just keep their sniper scope over a kill zone without risking being seen by people who don't want to step in to that killzone.

-Shooters should be more like mario because that's a good game: Uhhhhh... Well alright, why don't we eat mushrooms to grow taller and jump on zombies' heads to kill them rather than burying a hatchet in it? Seriously dude, that's a crappy point. Comparing zombie apples to pixel art oranges. Thanks for coming on the show, try again next time and be sure to try the veal.

-3rd person is for casual and lazy gamers: Or it's for people who have grown sick of COD and the FPS rampage that's been going on for the last five years and welcome a zombie game that lets us look around ourselves and look at our characters if we so desire. Personally I adore the ability to just... admire my person from time to time. She's damn sexy holding that Lee Enfield, it's a bit silly and immature to seek to deprive other people of something they like simply because your close minded opinion doesn't like it. It's really quite stupid actually, you don't like it so nobody else should have it? Really man, grow up would you? Not everybody thinks or likes what you do and your opinion isn't the only one.

That's all I got for right now, cue the raging hardcore COD or BF3 or whatever shooter happens to be the rage now a days to breathe down my neck about how terrible a person I am for thinking these things and how sexually indecent it makes my mother.

Just incase you didn't know there is a lean function built into the game. Hit Q & E. Works in 3rd person or 1st person. The only arguement I'd make about third person is it is way too accurate to fire a weapon without aiming down the sights. Removing cross hairs fixes that somewhat, but I do like having cross hairs there for close quarters zombie encounters, because accuracy isn't a concern when you're 2 feet away.

I enjoy 3rd person because it helps me navigate around the game world. For some reason, I'm always bumping into objects while in 1st person because I wasn't sure how far away my character was from it.

I still do use 1st person while indoors to avoid having the camera go behind a wall or something and blind me.

Have you spent more than 10 minutes playing in 1st person? Yes

Have you ever crawled up to a helo crash surrounded by Zeds, with little more than their grunts to keep you from running into them? Yes

Have you ever laid in a bush unarmed as a heavily armed player ran by, hoping you're completely hidden but expecting his footsteps to stop at any moment? No

Have you ever driven a vehicle with a broken windshield from Grishino to Gorka to search for parts at 10 kph because you were afraid to drive off the road while praying a burst of machine gun fire from the treeline doesn't end your life? No

Have I driven across the map on an ATV in 1st person using headlights in the rain/darkness because it was hard to see some obstacles in my path. Through treelines, etc? Yes.

Do I go into 1st person to look at loot on the ground to get a better view? Yes.

Do I go into 1st person when I plan on shooting? Yes.

Do I think driving in vehicles/flying helicopters in 1st person adds to realism? No. Why? Because in real life if I was trying to look around at my surroundings I wouldn't have to negotiate 12 buttons while also negotiating the necessities it takes to actually operate the machine. Does that make it harder? Umm... sure, does that make it realistic? No.

Edited by Dreygar