rocket

IF this was an actual game...

Monthly is pretty stupid. ARMA 2 didn't require anything other than a purchase of the game itself. Keep it that way.

ARMA 2 doesn't have a monthly fee because it's ARMA 2. Like, a sequel, right? We had ARMA 1, and before that OFP. And soon, ARMA 3. Is that the model you want for DayZ? Pay for DayZ 1 and get fewer content updates because the team is working on DayZ 2 which will receive still fewer major updates because the team moves on to DayZ 3: The DayZiest?

Monthly subscription allows for a full team and focused, ongoing updates with tons of new content and features. That's what DayZ should get, and that requires ongoing revenue - either through microtransactions or a monthly subscription. Probably both.

monthly sub

no in game store, would totally screw up the game

kickstarter would probably go over well considering the positive word of mouth generated so far.

no in game store' date=' would totally screw up the game

[/quote']

Hats, shirts, tattoos, sunglasses, facial hair, hair styles, custom gun skins, custom armbands/backpack patches for your faction, colored tag on the player list to indicate your support. None of these types of things would effect the game in any tangible way, yet they would probably be wildly popular and help fund this amazing game.

One-time Purchase

-Possible cosmetic items for added revenue. Character appearance, maybe weapon or vehicle skins, though this would add few layers of complexity and may not be worth it.

Indie Developed

- I find they have more freedom to develop THEIR game instead of the studios, unless you're Valve haha

Both types of servers. Sell reserved slots if you want to help offset those costs.

Definitely Kickstarter, that would give a huge surge to the starter pool of cash to use for the game.

One time purchase for me please. Although I think a Kickstarter campaign could raise enough money to live off the interest for a while...

Not bothered about developers as I don't know enough about this side of it.

Servers - private. This will avoid the cost to the team and also give people the option to avoid shoot on site / 1st person only / 3rd person view / Bandit heavy servers.

Those who like killing EVERYONE can go on those servers, those who like to team up can go on those servers. People would be free to mod their servers as they see fit. This could go down the L4D route of sharing / selling the best mods - i.e. Military bands randomly storming airbases, etc. Also these servers can be avoided if that's not your thing.

This way, in theory, different players can find the game style they like to play.

IMO, the increase in arma II CO sales should be enough, we the consumers, have brought a niche simulator game on top of the steam sales chart because of 100mb mod.

I would not pay for more unless it was a year or so down the line, and a completely redisigned product with more polish and substantially larger production values, unless you plan on charging 10-15 dollars which would make lower production values acceptable.

also, would only pay once for the game purchase, I completely avoid games with monthly fees and pay to win games, or even games with hats and stuff.

i find that business model unethical, and I am disgusted that some poeple out there would pay for skins, instead of donating that money to some worthy cause, so I avoid such games because of both the developers, and the user base.

Shit is gettin serious.

If this was made as a stand alone game' date=' or as part of some particular existing game, what kind of consumer model would you want to play it on?

How would you rather pay for it?

- Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

- Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

- Free to play, buy your shit?

- Something else?

Also:

- Community developed or studio developed?

- Community or studio servers? or both?

- Kickstarter? or not?

Please try and stick to short sentences, its much easier for me to get broad feedback.

[/quote']

It'd have to be game purchase only with the current model.

There are a couple of things that could be done to justify a monthly subscription or a free to play, buy to have more fun method:

First: Larger map

10 times bigger than the current one, sprawling modern cities mixed in with suburban, than rural areas the further you go out.

Second: Take control of the servers out of the hands of players

This is required for a prescription model due to cheating.

Benefit: You are in direct control of the servers.

Con: sometimes communities form around these servers. It works now, but it wouldn't work if this was just a bit more persistant of a game.

Third: Zombie behavior

You need to give the player more tools to evade zombies. There SHOULD be things you could do to lose zombies if they were chasing you - so far you can't outrun them. Ever. The next patch does a lot with other complaints I've had.

Finally: Melee. Melee is a respectable way to deal with zombies, if not slightly more dangerous than shooting them from a half mile away.

SHORT VERSION

---------------------------------------------------------

Purchase Only

Community Servers

Studio Developed (with community feedback and beta period)

Kickstarter (for pre-orders // special edition)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Key features for a stand alone game could be

-----------------------------------------------------------

- Larger map than Chenerus (camps are too easily found)!

- Camps (things of the sort) should not be limited to where they can be placed.

- Inability to get "off map" (invisible wall at edges of map to make it impossible to get off map).

- Players should be able to band together and create parties.

- Parties should be able to capture and control towns after ALL zombies have been eliminated from the town and various points (objectives) in the town have been secured by party members.

- Controlling a town should give benefit to those in the town. And other survivors may seek refuge in said towns.

- Vehicles / Camps may have keys required to use/access them?

Third: Zombie behavior

You need to give the player more tools to evade zombies. There SHOULD be things you could do to lose zombies if they were chasing you - so far you can't outrun them. Ever. The next patch does a lot with other complaints I've had.

Toss a flare or smoke grenade, start a fire, etc?

Shit is gettin serious.

If this was made as a stand alone game' date=' or as part of some particular existing game, what kind of consumer model would you want to play it on?

How would you rather pay for it?

- Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

- Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

- Free to play, buy your shit?

- Something else?

Also:

- Community developed or studio developed?

- Community or studio servers? or both?

- Kickstarter? or not?

Please try and stick to short sentences, its much easier for me to get broad feedback.

[/quote']

Pay monthly MMO. - The way this type of game is ment to be played

One large eve online tranquility type shard.

One extremely large 3000(i think?) miles map i.e. American coast to coast

Studio - Aslong as Rocket keep's his vision/keeps control.

Advantages of a large studio team is greater progress.

Buy to play (Game purchase along with buying future expansions like GW)

Studio developed (But only if Rocket is the lead developer)

Studio Servers (To make sure everything is under tight control to eliminate hacking/cheating)

Kickstarter if funding needed (I would definitely contribute to this great game)

Why doesn't BIS just make you a project head or whatever and release Day Z as an official expansion to the ArmA series? Make it a DLC so it still shares the characteristics with ArmA that make this mod so popular-- Brutal, unwavering reality.

Game purchase only; most of us already play an MMO (or two, or three, etc) and don't need another mouth to feed every month. Paying for items is BS. Just let me buy it and happily play it until the end of days.

Studio developed; use this alpha to get community feedback.

Kickstarter would be good with all the word-of-mouth publicity the game's gotten recently. If you can fund the game that way it will definitely give you more freedom. A publisher is going to want CoD with zombies.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASEEEEE No monthly fee. I'm sorry, but I favor any other payment model over that. Especially, with dev/player hosted servers, the need for constant income will be less. However, I would pay a full $60 for a full DayZ game.

I would also participate in kickstarter, and buy a shirt.

One time game purchase (Totally willing to pay $60 for this)

Studio developed.

Community servers

Kickstarter. No bullshit publisher overhead.

yeah, please anything but monthly fee. I will never get a game where you have to pay monthly.

purchase game and thats it.

This is a very serious situation and one that should not be taken lightly. Would I be willing to pay money to play DayZ in its current form? Absolutely not considering the cost I've already had to partake. Without significant iterations and upgrades this project is not of production value, its still a mod. As a DLC project for ArmA III, possibly. As a stand alone project with (as is) default ArmA II (and its DLC/Xpack) content that makes up 99.5% of the current entire project, no. Not just no, but hell no.

In order to be a stand alone project your going to need a new, much larger map. A new fluid animation system. New art assets, including models, sounds and textures (nothing from an already launched project/title like whats used now). Better AI behavior, and a much better spawning Hive system (no zeds eating your face from out of thin air).

Lets face it, this project is still a mod and one that is using a ton of already created content from already released titles and addons. Trying to launch this as a title on its own in its current state/form would be suicide. BI would end up looking like another greedy company trying to gain as much profit for as little effort as possible. Without many of the new things I suggested above I cannot foresee myself (and possibly many others) spending more money.

I am incredibly grateful for what you've done so far for this project Rocket and I hope it continues in one form or another. So what to do? My suggestion would be to either keep it as a mod or bring it into BI as a fully licensed product (most likely as DLC for ArmA III) with its own production team, own unique art assets, and much higher production value. One time purchase and let the community sort out the hosting.

Guild Wars-style. Pay once to play. Like Counter-Strike, Halo, Minecraft, etc etc... I'd pay between $30-50 USD for a game that Rocket had full creative control over, no studios getting in the way of his visions.

And a Kickstarter to get you off the ground with "milestones" when you overshoot your goals. Start modest, you'll blow the roof off it, and then keep adding personal milestones.

I'd happily pay $5-10 a month for this game if it meant continued updates and server uptimes. Games like WoW can get continuous updates because they keep raking in money. Games like BF3 the dev team doesn't give a fuck because they've already sold it and they're on to the next DLC.

Game purchase only.

Studio Developed.

Kickstarter.

As much as I like the game, I wouldn't do a subscription, I tend to put the majority of my money to bills and expenses with a little leftover every once in a while to put towards games.

Community could be good, but with a game like this with the servers, if you had the wrong stuff it would take forever to find the right server. So I'd say studio.

And kickstarter would help quite a bit I think

The concept has such huge potential but in its current state I think it would be best launched as official DLC for Arma3.

Perhaps start a kickstarter project to raise the funds needed for this.

I would pay any form if the content keeps me coming back, my ideal would be an eve style tranquility server with game mechanics that allows you to explore and take control of buildings around the map. I'm assuming this would come with a monthly fee which I would be happy to pay if it was good enough.

Also Kickstarter would be awesome whichever model you decide to take I would happily bung you more money for it.

One-time Game purchase only (Guild Wars style)

Community and studio servers

free to play is the aids of modern games, f2p games are infested with cheating russians (as if there's any other kind lol) and all kinds of nasty drivel.