rocket

IF this was an actual game...

Studio Developed, Single payment for purchase. NO IN GAME PURCHASES (then only people with money get the good stuff, this has killed many-a-games from an enjoyment standpoint).

Kickstarter? Hell yes, unless you already have backing and funding to do what you want. Alternatively you could rent out server space if you have access to it. That would get you the monthly fees but has a HUGE startup cost (unless you ally with a server provision company).

Finally moving forward with a proper venture... I like it!

Game purchase only.

Studio Developed.

Kickstarter.

I would also like it if it was a mod of Arma III

Game purchase only.

Studio developed w/ community insight.

Kickstarter.

I would definitely donate as much as I could to make this a standalone!

Also would have no problem if it was an Arma III Expansion.

Game purchase only.

Studio Developed.

Kickstarter.

How would you rather pay for it?

- Game purchase only

Also:

- Studio developed

- Community And Studio servers

- Kickstarter

Game purchase only: Im following GW2 a lot, and if that can be pulled off with no monthly sub or P2W cash shop model, then i would fully expect this too also.

Server hosts do not really bother me, as long as they function.

Would be fine paying a kickstarter.

I would prefer it a standalone game. Im not really in to Arma, im more of a RPG game player, though i love many games and almost always make contact with Zombie games weekly at the least. The idea of paying £15 to play DayZ alpha was a no brainer, but it was hard for me to decide when i was paying £15 to buy a game i had no previous or real current interest in, so that i could run a mod i wanted.

Maybe now i am more experienced with the mechanics, i could go back and enjoy it, But that is simply feedback from how i felt as a customer wanting a realistic, open world true zombie survival experience, and how i was conflicted to buy a game solely for its mod.

For new customers, i would say a stand alone game would be a lot more appealing then buying an unrelated game for a modification, despite the fact that the latter and more 'uncomfortable' option actually ends in the customer having 2 games for the price of one.

"IF this was an actual game... " ------> You'd be a rich mofo!

Game purchase only

Player owned and ran servers

studio developed with feedback and consideration of community

dunno what kickstarter means

Game Purchase

Studio ran servers (so many private farming servers right now)

Studio developed with close heed paid to player feedback.

Kickstarter with maybe a purchase discount to donators when game goes live.

Game purchase only or Free ( see below )

Studio but with a big ear for the Community ;)

Both, Dev. servers and Com. servers ( there you can make the "F2P" like concept a bit-

make the game cheap or free, give ppl the servers to rent and let the Dev servers be limited in how many players, less spawns, less vehicles, etc..... i think that could be a good way if its done right)

if Kickstar means that funding project site or something similar, dont forget its not that common to have a credit card in europe ;)

one time purchase would be coolest

Though 5cents per respawn could really increase the feel of this. But you can always just do that in addition to everything else, like 2 dollars to spawn with a truck full with an AI squad...

One time purchase' date=' wouldnt mind it being a bit more expensive than normal games simply because its so FU$%KING GOOD.

[/quote']

this.

certainly not the 2$/spawn, thats completly retarded

I am assuming you're taking the success of the mod as making the case for a stand-alone game.

This being said, you're going to have to do a lot of developing for a different game engine to escape some of the restrictions you're facing with the ARMA engine. This could mean licensing and adapting a different engine or creating your own. This will cost money.

You'll have to start over with models and textures and sounds. This too will cost money.

Once you get all that in order, you'll have to decide whether you want it to be mmo-ish or server based. If you go with persistent servers set up by you, this will cost recurring money.

So, the answer to your questions depend on where you want to take Day Z.

I say that you license a different engine and adapt it to your needs. Make regional servers controlled exclusively by you, no more player run servers. I say either go with a lower cost initial purchase and a sub fee to keep the servers running, as well as a cosmetic item or non game impacting item shop. That, or just have a sub fee and players can download the client for free as well as having the cosmetic and non game impacting item shop.

You are going to have recurring costs associate with running Day Z regardless of your model. One time game purchases will not be enough to facilitate a living, evolving, always active game. If you want to escape the "just a mod for ARMA" territory, you'll have to start charging something regularly to keep everything going.

Sorry for the long post.

-game purchase: some people just cannot afford to spend 15$ a month and for me its just mind boggling there would have to be a ton of content in it and a standalone game for me to do monthly.

-community driven: professionals seem to stop caring after awhile and then get greedy with money. the only games that last are ones that are community driven .

-Kickstart: is always good add some special weapons and maybe a special camo outfit for the package buyers. lots of people always buy it. tons of money to be made there.

Arcadies put together a very coherent post and all of his points are valid. The game should be what you envision it to be, the customers will follow.

You would probably do well to have a combination of all the models. People can purchase the initial game. You can offer a subscription model, which may provide additional bonuses (such as larger inventory etc), as well as a free model (still play, just without the bonuses). Throw in a nice cash shop with some aesthetic stuff (skins, hats, clothes, packs, whatever) and you got yourself the potential to do pretty decent. It may seem silly, but people shell out money for anything they think looks 'cool' or unique. I have bought comestic items in some of the games I've played, just because - I've got a job and it allows me to have expendable income. The entire point of running a business is making the opportunity to take in people's expendable income.

Alot of people complain about cash shops, but lets be honest - they work, which is why most games offer some form of it (even the powerhouse titles). Yes, you always have those people who complain (regardless of what you put in it), but you will never please 100% of people - no matter what you do.

I would kick start the shit outa this!

And i like the guild wars model I have no problem buying a game and then maybe buying things like Hats and silly cosmetic things later

Free "Bonus" DLC if you Pre-Order ArmA III !!!

Studio Developed

I refuse to play any subscription based games, and the 'free 2 play' model where you 'buy' your gear doesn't feel like a good fit for DayZ.

1. I think game purchase only and pay lil' extra for future content / expansion / DLC to keep you guys motivated enough to carry on with the great work that you've done so far, just don't start nickeling & diming for everything and we're set for life.

Oh and people love hats. It would be lovely to have one of those cosmetic stores or something. :)

2. Studio developed & maybe a bit community involvement mixed together? could always ask what community thinks of X or Y now and then. Just don't start listening every whining invidual when they start throwing temper tantrum for silly reasons !

3. Kickstarter. You could give some nice cosmetic thingie for those that helped with kickstarter to give people a bit more "oomph" to donate i.e "carrot on a stick" (Chernarus / DayZ related cap & t-shirt for in game characters ?).

Then again, it should raise money regardless what you offer with this much popularity anyway. :P

I'm curious how a Free-To-Play model would work with Dayz. What sort of micro transactions would be possible. You lose everthing on death. So any bought items would vanish. Unless you was talking character cosmetics, like clothes etc..

I'm all for Buy game once then pay monthly subcriptions. Seeing as you have one central database to maintain.

Studio driven to combat hacking.