rocket

IF this was an actual game...

Game purchase only with cash shop that has cosmetic addons. No bonus, like LoL has the perfect system. They don't give out overpowered stuff, the dont even give out stuff that gives you a boost. Just skins etc.

Game Purchase $50

Skins help pay for server costs etc continually.

I'd want Guild wars style, or f2p. However, if f2p, NOT PAY TO WIN, cosmetics only!

I'd like to see it both community and studio developed

Guild Wars style or free to play would be best, in my opinion.

Studio developed plus community help. Getting the community involved shows a lot of good about a developer.

Kickstarter's up to you. You've got over 120,000 players, which grows several thousand a day, and I think hundreds of thousands more would pay good money for an open world zombie survival game like this as a standalone game.

*EDIT: Studio and community servers.

Guest ragequitalready

Game purchase only; this is not a fully persistent mmo and there should not be a monthly fee - this isn't the 90's / early 2000's

Both studio and community developed, as well as studio and community servers

You have enough of a sizeable fanbase to not need kickstarter. If you think your userbase will drop significantly before you ship a final product, you can use kickstarter to get more money and start more hype before people lose interest.

To be honest, I would only purchase again if it was on an MMO scale. 50 player max on a (relatively) small world with people exploiting server hopping is not my idea of solid design. Good for a romp, that's about it.

Hi Rocket, nice to be truly excited about a game again...this one is special....love the gameplay. Please dont let anyone ever change your vision for what this game is....my answers:

I would buy it stand alone

No monthly fee

No buying stuff in game

Company or player developed does not matter to me but I lean toward professional company (not EA..hehe) (just keep the game real and not carebear please:)

Thats it...keep up the great work...more and more people are turning on to this by the day and I am letting all my gamer friends know :)

Game Purchase, With possible LOW monthly fee, (nothing more than $5USD) any more and there would need to be different maps, and alot more content..

(Don't get me wrong, game is fecking rad as it is).

How would you rather pay for it?

- Game purchase only?

Game purchase only' date=' DEFINITELY. Subscriptions are things I hate to keep track of, while play-for-free rapidly turns into pay-to-win.

- Community developed or studio developed?

While it's still in alpha or beta, having community input is important, but only so far as bug testing, gameplay, item creation, and gear balancing is concerned. The actual goal should stay firmly rooted in what the creators want.

- Community or studio servers? or both?

Community servers are good' date=' but being able to lock them and spawn items in them would be bad, and immature admins are always a pain...

- Kickstarter? or not?

Go for it, if it means you can spend more time working on DayZ and hire others to help out full time! I don't doubt there'd be many people willing to help fund such a venture.

Just my 2 cents, hopefully it helps!

Get the money for development and payment for the development team upfront. Release the final product DRM free and for free.

Change the entire way games are financed. Be a hero.

Do it.

interesting... I wondered how long it would be before publishers took note of just how successful this awesome mod you've created has become - Well done, truly outstanding work you've done here, I love the mod.

I'd go for paid with monthly subscriptions (IF servers were allowed for, trying to connect is quite slow at the moment, a victim of its own success) - I think this model will possibly weed out some of the COD like players from the playerbase.

I'd also go for studio developed, as long as you maintained creative control over the project (!). This will also help with dedicated servers/sponsored servers.

again, loving this mod - no other game comes close to matching the experience you get in such a large play area.

The game wouldn't survive as a pay2play game. You can't just tell paying customers to buzz off.

interesting... I wondered how long it would be before publishers took note of just how successful this awesome mod you've created has become.

I love the mod as well, but 100k non-paying customers isn't going to impress EA or Activision. People may clown games like CoD and BF3 in this forum, but this mod/game will never even come close to approaching their sales figures.

Thank god for indie companies, but large publishers aren't swooning over a game that will send the majority of casual gamers running for the hills.

Retail game purchase ($60+) no monthly fee.

Studio developed with community input*

Studio and community run servers.

Kickstarter or any method of distribution (Hell I'd buy a $150 physical special edition)

*Retard filtering required.

You should have a Poll:

Yes - Game purchase with Monthly fee? (WoW stylez)

Yes - Game purchase only? (Guild Wars stylez)

No - Free to play, buy your shit?

Yes - Something else? (Mod is purchased, can host your own servers)

Also:

Whichever way allows you to not compromise on your idea whilst keeping developmeant steady - Community developed or studio developed?

Both unless studio servers can cope - Community or studio servers? or both?

No! - Kickstarter? or not?

If it HAD to be made into a game proper, id have to go with the one-time-purchase option.

But i honestly think this should stay a mod so you could say "fuck off" to anyone that disagrees with your vision without having to think about if its going to affect the sales or not.

Personally, I'd make it Purchase the game to play but possibly with an option to spend extra money for Cosmetic Only items.

I'd totally pay extra to keep my pair of sweet as Aviators!

As for Development, I'd go Dev Team.

As fun and happy as Community development sounds, I find that the majority of ideas large communities like this have are crap.

As for Kickstarter, I'd put some money down to see this get developed!

- Game purchase with Monthly fee?

If the servers are hosted by the community like it is now and the players per server number is reasonble then i don't see a reason for a monthly fee.

- Game purchase only?

Yes i think this would be the preferred way.

- Free to play, buy your shit?

No, the freemium model is aimed at the casual/lazy gamer. I'd rather pay monthly than play a freemium game. I don't like the fact someone could spend their way to success, plus where DayZ is supposed to be this hardcore, realistic game. I don't see how the freemium model would work.

- or something else?

The mincraft model, where you pay a small amount for the alpha and get each new version free to the final release. Then charge a bit more for the beta (each new version free) and then charge a retail price for the final release.

- Community developed or studio developed?

Have a roadmap and stick to it but let the community play test, make suggestions and help balance the game.

- Community or studio servers? or both?

Both

- Kickstarter? or not?

Definitely go for a kickstarter. You have the player base already and as we can see at the moment, Kickstart is definitely the way to go to start a new project. Personally you'd be silly not to. If you think if only 10,000 players gave $10 that'd be... 1, 2.. 100...... a lot of money.

None, i've already paid 25$ to play this mod.Finalise this mod first before releasing any standalone version.

I'd purchase this if it was ever developed into a fully fledge game.

A monthly subscription would have to be justified by a stream on quality content continuously (new maps, new items/weapons/different seasons?).

That being said, to sell this as a fully fledged game would require things to run a lot smoother in regards to connecting to games etc.

In regards to superficial items (different sets of sunglasses, etc) I'd rather it all be in game to find, rather than a paid service. A more extensive character customiser would be nice (as a personal preference), although I definitely understand why all character models are near enough the same.

As always though Rocket, fantastic job so far. Keep doing what your doing.

Monthly Fee

This game is no good without quality servers' date=' and a small fee ($10) a month will go a long way in to bringing that quality.

[/quote']

Sorry buddy, got to totally disagree with you on that one.

There has never been a monthly fee for any Arma game, be it OFP, Arma 1 or Arma 2. There has been 1 off fees for the DLCs BAF and PMC. This is because they offered so much more in regards to gameplay. New units, new maps, new campaigns, new weapons, additional commands in the editor etc. I was (and did) quite happy to pay for these DLCs.

DayZ in my opinion is of the same ilk and should be a DLC where you pay a one off fee to play it.

There will be plenty of community servers to play the mod on, look at the amount now. The list of servers is growing daily it seems and once A3 comes it will be the same for the immediate future at least.

As I have stated in another thread, I will be getting a server myself at the end of July and once A3 comes out I will be moving the server to that game.

And once DayZ comes out for A3 (in whatever form) I will be making sure the server runs DayZ.

So, a one off fee is the right choice not a monthly fee.

I think they are interdependent, and the lower bound is the development and hosting model.

If it's studio development and servers, I'd prefer it to be a one time purchase. I'd hate if the game starts to incorporate carrot chasing mechanics in order to maximize monthly signatures and play time for profit, like happened with WoW and other MMOs.

If it's community development and servers, I'd glady pay a montly fee up to $15 in order to have quality servers and a better experience, as long as I can stop playing for a few months without losing my character.

I guess studio development and community servers joins the best of both worlds.

I'm totally against free to play. That ruined a few good games.

In DayZ's case I would point towards the Minecraft model, pay a one time fee to get registered in the database and get access to login.

This ^^^

Ok after seeing this thread I decided to make an account on the forums and reply, so this is my first post on here.

Here's what I think:

-Game purchase only (sort of like minecraft), maybe a DLC for ARMA

-Studio developed but with plenty of community feedback

-Both community and studio servers

Ok you will probably hate on me for the next things I say but bear with me.

I think you should be allowed to host private servers personally.

I have a gaming community that I play with (roughly 500 people) and we like to play together. We don't work together in the game (there are still plenty of bandits and pvpers), but I like knowing that the other players in the server are decent players (unlike a lot of people I have seen spamming chats, using cheats or glitches, disconnecting to avoid being pvped, etc.) I know you can implement things into the game to stop this stuff happening, but let's be honest, we all know it will always happen. Playing with my gaming community prevents this and makes my gameplay much more enjoyable. I also enjoy seeing the same people every so often on the server.

However, this is not possible to do a lot of the time, freedom given to players to host servers and edit them how they want is restricted. To enjoy my game with my community a lot of the time I end up having to run cracked servers, which I really don't want to do but it is the only way I can do it. I have run cracked servers for games such as minecraft, killing floor and teamfortress and many more.

Yes I did buy the games and support the devs, I have an official copy of arma2 purchased for full retail price, and no I don't gain any monetary benefit from hosting these servers (infact I lose a significant amount of money out of my income to host them), I don't charge people to play on them or anything like that.

But I end up having to play around with the files and host cracked servers and I really don't like it but it is the only way to enjoy the game with my community. Currently I run a day-z mod cracked server (here comes my ban...) I have only got the 1.6 version to work at the moment and I hate having to do something that is disallowed and looked down upon by the large sum of the community but it is the only way for me to do this. I looked at the requirements for hosting a server and I just don't meet them because I want much more freedom in how I operate and edit it. I realise a lot of you won't understand why I would do this and would prefer to let the day-z devs control the servers but I will always host my own because it is how I enjoy playing the games. At the moment however hosting my own involves breaking terms of services (and probably the law?), doing something the devs and community disapprove of (even though I love this game and support it so much).

What do you guys think as members of this games community? Would you mind if people were allowed to run private servers with their communities or friends, servers that they could edit freely to their own desire, without restrictions or rules? Surely it wouldn't affect you as a normal player, as you would not play on these servers unless invited to one and it would not affect the devs as the servers are run at the cost of the private people hosting them. So why do I have to go to such dirty methods as running a cracked server just to have an enjoyable experience?

Thanks for any replies or feedback.