mattlightfoot

DayZ at GamesCom

Rocket mentioned in his ama(I believe) that 1.7.3 will be playable at gamescom. Or at least with dogs. Also it will be running on the Virtual Reality engine which is the engine for Arma 2, Arma 3, Operation Flashpoint etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lao1z23Ux3A

In this video the dog tracks a bunny. You hardly can see it because of the horrid video quality. Looks pretty sweet! I hope it works well.

I hope the standalone comes with a reworked interaction menu. I think this one right now will be too full soon.

Edited by ToasterDiagramm
  • Like 7

Do we know if the Dogs can attack? and/or any other helpful uses for having one?

The Video does a great job showing the mechanics of controlling the dog AI

I can see a player shooting his friend, saying..Hey my dog needs to eat. Bam.

Here Fido,...dinner !

Already explained that the dog has to be fed with raw meat.. and that it needs water also to survive. So it makes sense that it has a bonus to animal finding skills.

I wonder if the dog can scout out/ smell out players that are hiding in building or even use them to track snipers.

It's going to be sad when we hear the first post where a player shoots another play's dog for no point just because.

interesting to see what (if any) emotional attachment you'll get to this virtual dog, esp if/when you lose it. "You killed my dog you b@stard!!! I"M GOING TO KILL YOU!!!" lol. ultimate rage. kill my friend...ok...kill me...ok...but touch my dog and its on! he he

I like the addition of a dog. i wonder though...do you have to feed it?

"You will have to feed your dogs raw meat and give them water."

I'm just not excited about dogs, personally.

They will make other players easy to find, though, if that's your thing.

• Like 2

i wish that since it will be on the arma 3 engine, that it wouldnt be a stand alone, unless it was a highly polished\finished game. the reason is that ill probably buy arma 3 for arma 3, and also have to buy a stand alone alpha game. saying this because i really doubt it will be more than that with this time frame.

Edited by white

I like the ability to track food, I guess. As a loner who's mostly just out there surviving, I'm not too interested in any PVP aspect of having a dog. What if a player is close and the dog barks to warn you, but the other player never even knew you were there in the first place? Also, do you have to find a new dog each time you die?

They're an interesting addition, but I wouldn't say that they get my hopes up much.

Does Rocket and the team have anything big they are planning to reveal at Gamescom? I wonder if they're holding back something good for the 1.7.3 mod update that we don't know about yet. "Yeah there's dogs. ... We also have this other really cool thing."

Edited by GiggityGump

I was hoping for more news here, too. I guess that they don't have much new stuff to say right now. Could always check some of the gaming sites for news and interviews, I guess.

Love the dog, The best features would be subtly warning you if it smells another player or even guarding your corpse!

• Like 1

Your making some massive assertions, the reason we announced when we did was not because of any pressure it is because right from the start we have been honest with the community. At the start of DayZ we thought it would peak at 600 players, it did not. Dean has always been a big fan of the minecraft model because it is a good method of production. Due to you being able to get feedback on any changes you make by a massive audience that also test everything to do with the update.

If anything you can see our short iterations in the early days with an update exceptionally regularly being the grounding for our decision to continue with the minecraft model. As for competition, why would that make us want to announce earlier? As Rocket as said we like competition it will only bring a better final product for the consumers.

Onto the note of maximising profits, when we made the mod we had large amounts of people offering us donations to help us continue development, we didn't take up any of these offers. This was because for us the project isn't about maximising profits, it is to make DayZ the best it can be. As Rocket as also stated in interviews if we wanted money we would go down the free to play route.

However this thread is about our attendance at GamesCom and not a troll thread. Please keep to the original topic

I love You Guys, Best Dev Team in history...!

• Like 3

Love the dog, The best features would be subtly warning you if it smells another player or even guarding your corpse!

Sure, but my big question is: How does the dog know which people are my friends or not?

Okay I don't play with friends that are bandits, so their humanity is above 0. A dog could warn me from people with low humanity below 0. That would work. However what does that all mean for groups of bandits that have dogs? Will the dog only warn them from heros and survivors? Can I tell my dog to warn me from a specific group of people?

Well I'm excited =)

How many chunks of meat would get if you gut a dog? :P

YES! I want to break somone's leg, take away his weapons, shoot his dog, gut it, feed own dog with the meat and let him all watch it helplessly.

Total humilation =)))

will there be a dayZ feature in new zealand anytime? afterall Rocket is a kiwi, we dont have any gaming confrences here and we have a crazy amount of gamers who miss out every year because the world doesnt think of us as important, we have one of the highist gamer ratios for our country size in the world!

lol the vids dont show anything worthwhile. Dogs seem to be nothing but vanity pets that follow you around , kinda like world of warcraft pets atm.

Excited for more news about Standalone or mod!

I don't think there is any need for the whistling. Trained dogs rely on hand signals, not whistling for commands.