mattlightfoot

DayZ at GamesCom

They probably don't have any real interest in fixing bugs, just trying out new features. The mod is a dead end, they're only really interested in the standalone game. Trouble with that approach is that it makes testing new features pointless. You can see how the mechanics work in-game but the nature of the game is completely screwed. There are camps full of high-spec gear on all the servers I play on and a lot of people just go and gear up. It's pretty much one big deathmatch with no real adventure anymore. Hoping they bring out a working version of the standalone because if they release it in this kind of condition people will lose interest.

Its great the game is going standalone but if the mod literally ends here and we get nothing now.. alot of people are going to ge angry very quickly! Its already hostile enough on these forums.

• Like 1

Its great the game is going standalone but if the mod literally ends here and we get nothing now.. alot of people are going to ge angry very quickly! Its already hostile enough on these forums.

Aye, I really don't want to see interest in this game die out. Shouldn't be too much trouble to fix a couple of bugs, get the game back the way it was supposed to be played.

Then people will only be annoyed with the shortcomings of the Arma engine and will be champing at the bit to get at the standalone.

^ spam?

edit: post was removed.

Edited by LukUs

People moaning about the tents etc needing a fix, ask yourself what is more important at a games convention?

A build that has it fixed and no new features, and that you could easily play at home instead of travelling to gamescon?

Or something new and interesting that will get more people interested in the MOD/Game?

And this MOD is far from dead, just because it hasn't been updated in a few weeks doesn't mean alot isn't happening behind the scenes.

• Like 7

People moaning about the tents etc needing a fix, ask yourself what is more important at a games convention?

A build that has it fixed and no new features, and that you could easily play at home instead of travelling to gamescon?

Or something new and interesting that will get more people interested in the MOD/Game?

And this MOD is far from dead, just because it hasn't been updated in a few weeks doesn't mean alot isn't happening behind the scenes.

You make a fair point but the problem is that these guys are very quiet and don't seem to like to talk about what they're doing, or even aknowledge problems that people are seeing. For example, hotfixes always seem to be released late, which isn't a problem, but no update is given once it goes past the posted date. Then there's confusion because conflicting advice appears to be given to the various launchers/updaters and releases occur at times that were categorically ruled out. I'm not sure that any of this has ever been addressed or acknowledged by the team (if I am wrong, please point it out to me! Happily mistaken!).

This game is a long way from dead, still enormous interest and the release of the standalone will draw back a lot of people that are currently becoming disenfranchised by the whole thing. But they need to actually communicate with the community to convince us that the mod isn't dead yet.

• Like 1

Summer's over, the honeymoon's over, some issues you can adress quickly others take time or takes a fundamental engine change ie. standalone. Tents isn't a game breaker. These guys have been preparing for a convention, they conducted scores of interviews, now let them get back to work. So what if they haven't posted here, I mean last week they were actually "talking" to people, fans and journalists. They communicated 1.7.3 is right around the corner, they communicated that's going to happen with the standalone and when 1.7.3 is released, you can also consider that communication too.

Because they can't constantly hold your hand on the forums, doesn't mean Rocket has quit BIS or have decided to cash in working for Activision.

Edited by Dallas

Please Sir, kindly direct me to these videos of which you speak....

There are exactly 8 pages on this thread so far

If you might want to go back and look for yourself

• Like 1

Aren't Arma/OFP "mods" really just a set of scripts?

True, in the same way the Eiffel tower is a pile of iron :)

• Like 2

You make a fair point but the problem is that these guys are very quiet and don't seem to like to talk about what they're doing, or even aknowledge problems that people are seeing. For example, hotfixes always seem to be released late, which isn't a problem, but no update is given once it goes past the posted date. Then there's confusion because conflicting advice appears to be given to the various launchers/updaters and releases occur at times that were categorically ruled out. I'm not sure that any of this has ever been addressed or acknowledged by the team (if I am wrong, please point it out to me! Happily mistaken!).

This game is a long way from dead, still enormous interest and the release of the standalone will draw back a lot of people that are currently becoming disenfranchised by the whole thing. But they need to actually communicate with the community to convince us that the mod isn't dead yet.

So what! Hotfixes are late for good reasons, and you feel the devs aren't communicating enough...REALLY?

Don't you realize that the DayZ "Team" is like 6 people?

They are simultaniously supporting this mod with updates/content VERY frequently compared to BIG/MAJOR companies WHILE working on the "Stand Alone" game...

They are also traveling all over the world to nearly EVERY major videogame show/event, doing dozens of interviews, and keeping us VERY informed IMHO.

Most of you don't seem to realize most of the reason these patches fail or there's ANY issue is because they are modding a game that isn't designed for what they are attempting.

You guys act like they neglect the community when it's the total opposite.

The "New" internets mentality seems to be that if it's not daily communication and shit doesn't get done instantly when you want it that you bitch or call a project dead?

I'd like to see ANY ONE OF YOU HERE take 6 of your friends and produce a mod/game this popular on accident, and then deal with the insane task of keeping up with it all.

GOOD LUCK.

How about you cut the "Team" here on the forums, and Rocket himself some freak'n slack and let him do his thing? We will all be better off if you do. ;)

Edited by Ash712
  • Like 12

So what! Hotfixes are late for good reasons, and you feel the devs aren't communicating enough...REALLY?

They are simultaniously supporting this mod with updates/content VERY frequently compared to BIG/MAJOR companies WHILE working on the "Stand Alone" game...

They are also traveling all over the world to nearly EVERY major videogame show/event, doing dozens of interviews, and keeping us VERY informed IMHO.

Most of you don't seem to realize most of the reason these patches fail or there's ANY issue is because they are modding a game that isn't designed for what they are attempting.

The "New" internets mentality seems to be that if it's not daily communication and shit doesn't get done instantly when you want it that you bitch or call a project dead?

I'd like to see ANY ONE OF YOU HERE take 6 of your friends and produce a mod/game this popular on accident, and then deal with the insane task of keeping up with it all.

GOOD LUCK.

How about you cut the "Team" here on the forums, and Rocket himself some freak'n slack and let him do his thing? We will all be better off if you do. ;)

^Couldn't have said it better myself.

A lot of people don't seem to realise that there are other ways of getting news and information outside of these forums. All the latest information that you all wana know about DayZ, it's development and a rough idea of what to expect from the standalone, is in the dozens of interviews that Rocket did over the course of the event. People not think to go look it all up?!?

Edited by Yorkie065
  • Like 2

GOOD LUCK.

This guy is right. Cut 'em some slack. I was a modder for a different game (Star Wars Battlefront 2) and let me tell you, it is not easy at all. It takes time, just be patient guys.

• Like 1

^Couldn't have said it better myself.

A lot of people don't seem to realise that there are other ways of getting news and information outside of these forums. All the latest information that you all wana know about DayZ, it's development and a rough idea of what to expect from the standalone, is in the dozens of interviews that Rocket did over the course of the event. People not think to go look it all up?!?

But why should we have to go to a interview that was not specified that rocket did to find out about the latest patch? If anything he should at least be posting something on the forums. No one should have to go to external sites to find new information on a mod, it would be more practical for the external sites to get information from the actual forums/website. Same thing with the stand alone, he has a site for all the information on the standalone but yet hes gonna go out and do a interview and release new information through that rather then a site specifically made for the stand alone.

But why should we have to go to a interview that was not specified that rocket did to find out about the latest patch? If anything he should at least be posting something on the forums. No one should have to go to external sites to find new information on a mod, it would be more practical for the external sites to get information from the actual forums/website. Same thing with the stand alone, he has a site for all the information on the standalone but yet hes gonna go out and do a interview and release new information through that rather then a site specifically made for the stand alone.

Because your going to hear it from Rocket, every word he says. It's not going to be miss-interpretated and mutated to something better or worse than what he meant, it's going to be YOU who gains the information straight from the hourses mouth. And you make it sound like it should be mandatory for everything to be on here, like it's his fucking job to put everything he said word for word onto the forums just so you don't have to press as many button and mouse clicks.

He's providing information that he wants to provide to numerous different people, all asking different questions, they then publish that interview online, not rocket. Just get off your lazy ass and look around, if you support the mod that much, you should already be doing that by going to one of many sources, and not crying when info is only posted in one place, and not all. It's the internet dude, information on anything you want is just a couple of clicks away....don't be lazy about it!

Edited by Yorkie065
  • Like 1

GOOD LUCK.

not when they force updates all servers to a broken ass patch!

Edit: and they knew it was broken when doing so.

Edited by Tommy3k

The interviews have been collected in a stickied thread for your convenience: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/75035-news-from-gamescom/

• Like 1

again...

i dont mind going a week or two without communication, but the fact that rocket is going on other sites and at the same time he IS completely ignoring dayzmod.com/forum, which is the official site, is very odd. and it sucks. this "official" site should be the FIRST and foremost for information. isnt that the point of this forum? after this "official" community has been informed, commented on, whatever, then go to all the others like redit. same thing with the tweets. i do not want to have to go to 3+ different fucking websites to learn anything about this damn game because we cant all organize in the same fucking place.

i dont want to hunt down a bunch of different interviews or whatnot and collect them all in the same place, and i you shouldnt have to either. this place should be utilized for what is was created for. thats why i signed up. how about you?

• Like 2

again...

i dont mind going a week or two without communication, but the fact that rocket is going on other sites and at the same time he IS completely ignoring dayzmod.com/forum, which is the official site, is very odd. and it sucks. this "official" site should be the FIRST and foremost for information. isnt that the point of this forum? after this "official" community has been informed, commented on, whatever, then go to all the others like redit. same thing with the tweets. i do not want to have to go to 3+ different fucking websites to learn anything about this damn game because we cant all organize in the same fucking place.

i dont want to hunt down a bunch of different interviews or whatnot and collect them all in the same place, and i you shouldnt have to either. this place should be utilized for what is was created for. thats why i signed up. how about you?

you miss the point where they just came back from germany after 4 days filled with lot of action, maybe they just need some REST.

updates will appear as soon as they are ready to push them out, and as soon you are meant to see them.

• Like 1

Just follow Rocket on Reddit if your interested in his chatter. He posts on there much more frequently then on here.

Just follow Rocket on Reddit if your interested in his chatter. He posts on there much more frequently then on here.

Please Sir, kindly direct me to these videos of which you speak....

How about you shut the fuck up and complain in the correct thread. This is about Gamescom you fucking nab.

Because thats what they want you to do, Anyway you're just trolling everyone are you even aware of that?

you miss the point where they just came back from germany after 4 days filled with lot of action, maybe they just need some REST.

updates will appear as soon as they are ready to push them out, and as soon you are meant to see them.

no, you miss the point. the point about finding time and energy to post on other websites rather than this one. the point im not talking about updates. the point im talking about is communication.

this is the official community dayz site. this should be the first place to get information and the best place to get information and the place to get the most information. fuck redit. fuck twitter. i signed up at daymod.com/forum for a reason. i didnt sign up with 4 separate entities to get info about one thing. i went straight to the (supposed) source.

by the way, seems like there is a fillinthenamecon every other week. they dont have laptops? smart phones? internet connections at hotels or the fillinthenamecon itself? oh yeah they do. check redit.

if there were no posts on redit or tweet, no problem. i wouldnt say jack shit. what i am saying is there is time and energy to post on redit, but not here. thats bunk.

Edited by sivart