rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

make a count to shutdown... independet of client game... if player just Alt + F4, the char continues w8 the count out... and about the zombies... try make then foiled.

Can't wait' date=' the pace of the bug fixes and updates is real nice. Just as I'm getting burnt out on dayz you pull me back in...Downloading 1.6.0 now seeing as you stole my hatchet and heat packs idea directly from my mind.

In case you can't read my mind I'll share some more of my ideas, listed from bad to worse, as my patch files slowly download from this German mirror...

* Sparse Bears and Wolves in the woods that attack and can be killed for special meat that restores more then 800 blood would be swell.

* Add some sort of ghillie tarp to throw over and better hide parked vehicles.

* Some kind of quick wave emote or gun lowering mechanic to show (or trick) fellow survivors that you are friendly.

* C4 Make it rare enough and being killed by it will be an honor.

* Parachutes, Reusable and slightly less rare then night vision goggles.

* Bicycles with space bar bunny hop functionality.

* Landmines make them as common as tin cans. No one will complain.

[/quote']

Bicycles +1. Thought of that myself once. I have played dayz for like 3 weeks now and havent found a single repairable vehicle yet (have seen them driving and flying and have been in friends chopper though) because every single vehicle is taken and held when server is created. This is why adding loads of bicycles randomly in the world would be awesome.

Ok.. stop... STOP with these suggestions and bug reports!

Stay on topic perhaps?

Bears and wolves in the woods, that gives you better meat than a cow.. bunnyjumping bicycles.. you trying to make this look like world of warcraft? This is a real life zombie apocolypse simulator.

"Some kind of quick wave emote or gun lowering mechanic to show (or trick) fellow survivors that you are friendly." You can use Salute or Surrender, to do signs with other players.

Ive already commented on the DCing in combat and I still think it would be best with a 20second logout timer and stay inside the game for 20seconds if you ninja DC.

Honestly they need to make it so you can bandage when prone before DC'ing.

I was in the ATC, kill one guy, but got shot. went to bandage but I nearly got my head shot off several times. And yeah then I DC'd.

Wasn't this thread at 50 pages yesterday? Was in process of reading them all, but it seems the thread was culled to 16 pages. Maybe it's a cache issue or something? Anyway...

The problem is impossible to fix without annoying some legitimate users of dc. It's not a normal mmo where there are definite safe log out areas.

1. Forcing the player to remain still for x seconds before being able to logout only provides the perfect headshot opportunity for someone who has tracked you unknown to you. At the moment, I can hide in a bush and disconnect immediately when I feel I'm in a safe relogin area. Should I have to stay longer for solidarity reasons for the bandits? No.

2. Forcing avatar to stay longer on server after logout? Most people that suggested this would hate the idea of logging back in after 2 weeks of play only to find themselves on the beach without any knowledge of what happened to them. Game design 101, make sure the player *knows* why they died. This solution wont work and causes more issues.

3. Initial solution by rocket also has its issues as have already been explored by other users in the thread (at least further into it when I was reading beyond page 16).

4. [side topic] Separating characters ownership of belongings per server to stop server surfing cannot work. It's hard enough to find a single server that has an open slot, let alone being forced to develop your character on 1 server alone.

Agree with some others here. There are far more pressing bugs to solve first, some even unsolvable since the bugs reside with arma (physics proxies of rocks causing player to be permanently stuck etc).

I think it's the way people approach who is missing out when people dc. Those that dc during pvp are missing out on some of what makes the mod good, but that doesn't change *your* experience. You play to survive whether someone disconnected on you or not. You survived before you met them, and you'll survive after they logout on you.

BTW if you die in an mmo you might lose some of your gear, but you keep your gained stats. There is nothing to be kept in Day Z at all if you are killed by standing still or after you logout.

Just please, do the thing with a timer count after you decide to DC. It's really frustrating when you trying to ambush someone in the city while he is going in the shop. You darts toward the guy from your hiding spot, got zeds on your arse but they are fools with rotting brains, you will deal with them later. Just need to kill this guy, grab some extra clips, beans and bandages off him. You engage him with all that zeds on your back, he flips off, he is injured, bleeding and nearly dead, trying to escape. You chase him, got bit by zeds but f*ck em! He die and they can gnaw his body happily while you sort things out. And then the guy just decide to DC and by doing so coitused you all over the face.

Now this is... I am a little bit mad when such things happens you know.

Wasn't this thread at 50 pages yesterday? Was in process of reading them all' date=' but it seems the thread was culled to 16 pages. Maybe it's a cache issue or something? Anyway...

The problem is impossible to fix without annoying some legitimate users of dc. It's not a normal mmo where there are definite safe log out areas.

1. Forcing the player to remain still for x seconds before being able to logout only provides the perfect headshot opportunity for someone who has tracked you unknown to you. At the moment, I can hide in a bush and disconnect immediately when I feel I'm in a safe relogin area. Should I have to stay longer for solidarity reasons for the bandits? No.

2. Forcing avatar to stay longer on server after logout? Most people that suggested this would hate the idea of logging back in after 2 weeks of play only to find themselves on the beach without any knowledge of what happened to them. Game design 101, make sure the player *knows* why they died. This solution wont work and causes more issues.

3. Initial solution by rocket also has its issues as have already been explored by other users in the thread (at least further into it when I was reading beyond page 16).

4. [side topic'] Separating characters ownership of belongings per server to stop server surfing cannot work. It's hard enough to find a single server that has an open slot, let alone being forced to develop your character on 1 server alone.

Agree with some others here. There are far more pressing bugs to solve first, some even unsolvable since the bugs reside with arma (physics proxies of rocks causing player to be permanently stuck etc).

I think it's the way people approach who is missing out when people dc. Those that dc during pvp are missing out on some of what makes the mod good, but that doesn't change *your* experience. You play to survive whether someone disconnected on you or not. You survived before you met them, and you'll survive after they logout on you.

BTW if you die in an mmo you might lose some of your gear, but you keep your gained stats. There is nothing to be kept in Day Z at all if you are killed by standing still or after you logout.

THIS!! out of the 3 hours i play,id have to Re log or DC for up to 35 legitiem reasons.

First fix things that are broken, than add stuf that isnt needed for the game play.

id rather stop playing Day Z than lose my char because i have to DC cause i cant conect/spawn or get bugged out.

fix those damn zombies first, fix the starter bag first(i lost every thing i had in the bag and the bag self when i went into a pond to refil my flask)

fix whats broken,than improve what isnt needed for now.

The only way i see d/c is if a player is killing you. if its zombies chasing you' date=' they will usually rape you a bit before you are able to d/c.

[/quote']

but if done quickly enough, they can get at most 1 hit.

THIS!! out of the 3 hours i play' date='id have to Re log or DC for up to 35 legitiem reasons.

First fix things that are broken, than add stuf that isnt needed for the game play.

id rather stop playing Day Z than lose my char because i have to DC cause i cant conect/spawn or get bugged out.

fix those damn zombies first, fix the starter bag first(i lost every thing i had in the bag and the bag self when i went into a pond to refil my flask)

fix whats broken,than improve what isnt needed for now.

[/quote']

You know what? Because of whiners like that Cherno is now became camper fest with all this lies about damsels in distress. Not my style but i see some reason in this now.

lots of people already gave ideas like this but i wonna reinforce it, logging in and out could be good once all the bugs etc. have been fixed but more importantly, as a way to prevent alot of negative things (including being able to just instant click out of the game immersion) is to make a system where u must wait a while (like 20sec) to disconnect and on top of that, maybe adding this would help to; not being able to abort when ur in combat.

Anyone who talks about a disconnect timer and says "Well OK, but what about when you have a legitimate reason to disconnect but are in danger?"

The game isn't supposed to and won't differentiate between a legitimate reason for leaving. The thing about a rule or mechanic like this, is that once it's implemented, everyone has to follow it no matter what, no excuses, no appeals. It's a risk you have to take in any other MMO style game where if you enter a dangerous area, you run the risk of being killed whether you're at your computer or not. If there's the possibility you might be called away from your PC at a moment's notice, then it's probably a good idea not to put yourself in that position in the first place.

"Zombies please stop nibbling on my toes, moms told me to carry out the trash."

To add to Castuns writeup

Unless your house is on fire, there is also no good reason why you cannot wait the 20 seconds.

If your excuse is mommy or dadda says off the pc NAO! Well boohoo, and if it is the wifey saying the same thing, well man up and say "be there in 2 min."

There really isn't a legitimate reason to quit while in danger.

Sure you might have something actually important to do, but eighter it can wait, or your char is not important enough to save, just quiting, and therefore avoiding the harm is still unfair.

Had my first experience of disconnecting to avoid death today. Guy running straight at me in the trees overlooking the military camp at Stary, wanted to avoid him really, but he kept coming. I shot him twice with my M9. I walk over to finish him and he's gone! Asshole.

Milk milk lemonade around the corner fudge is made.

all that needs to be said has been said.

Also please get rid of the retrying to authenticate because I get it when I log in after a server has restarted or when I die

YOU KNOW WHAT,FUCK THIS! IM QUITING DAYZ.

i lost all my stuf now because i couldnt get into anny servers.

than i finally found a server,and tada. ALL MY STUF IS GONE!!! GOD FUCKING DAMIT! 6 HOURS OF MY WHOLE LIFE GONE,FOR NOTHING!

the reason why i'm pissed,is that i have no fucking idea why i lost all my stuf, no idea why i spawn on the beach all of the sudden. how did my char die?

only thing i can remember was that i joined a server. while in loading screen,i saw other players around my spawn point. but my screen kept on receiving data bla bla ect. so the thing im guessing is,my char did spawn. but without me.

well great, wonderful. fucking shit bug!

this was a bug,but this is alos a legitim reason why to not implement such features that will result in this.

i lost all my stuff because i was in debug/loading screen while my char it self was already spawning.

first fix whats needed,than .. you know the rest.

u probably got killed by someone who capped spawn forest

I would suggest to anyone who plays this ALPHA, to be prepared that anything can happen, that you don't get too attached to your character or gear while we are in this early stage, and enjoy the actual playing time, no matter what happens.

Having an attitude that next time you log in you might be dead, makes stuff like this easier to handle, and you enjoy the time in-in-game more

To the two looters in Zelenogorsk (one wounded who couldn't walk, and the other in a ghillie suit with a winchester) who logged off this afternoon when i got the drop on you: may your genitals rot off. You guys suck.

Jesus.. a lot of you have a ton of tears. I too think disconnecting to avoid death is cowardly but not to a point where I am going to tear my day away because I was incapable of killing someone for their loot.

My thinking right now... there is plenty other players to kill off to get their sweet lewt. Also lets not forget to mention the current revision is FILLED with bugs. I do not blame anyone who legitimately logs to avoid death by the most retarded things. Such as a car tapping an object at 1MPH and exploding....

I like the idea of a timer which would count down when you abort and stop if you perform an action. If that's not possible then I'd like the body to remain for say a minute afterwards.

Cheating death is cheating the experience. If you can escape at the push of a button then you no longer need to fear what's around the corner or in the woods. Alerted some zombies? Quit. Cheating death undermines the experience and all effort by both rocket and the other players.

Players need to accept that death is a real possibility in order to become immersed into the DayZ world.

My .02

To add to Castuns writeup

Unless your house is on fire' date=' there is also no good reason why you cannot wait the 20 seconds.

If your excuse is mommy or dadda says off the pc NAO! Well boohoo, and if it is the wifey saying the same thing, well man up and say "be there in 2 min."

There really isn't a legitimate reason to quit while in danger.

Sure you might have something actually important to do, but eighter it can wait, or your char is not important enough to save, just quiting, and therefore avoiding the harm is still unfair.

[/quote']

I'd say to people that haven't managed a successful kill and have someone log off on them, they didn't take the person by surprise well enough. Grab a crossbow and surprise them before they get the chance if you want to play that type of character (bandit), otherwise you didn't think it through/weren't good enough to begin with.

At the same time, don't encourage this type of character. It's good that you have a few, but when it's the vast majority it becomes a joke. The only reason it happens here is there are no consequences anymore.

As for the mmo argument, you still keep your stats in an mmo after death (which are often the most time consuming parts to develop). The whining from the other side comes from the fact that a bandit feels ripped off they couldn't side step the "grind" of dayz and get some easy loot, cutting out hours of time normally needed to acquire it. It's called a design flaw, and a fairly fundamental one at that.

rocket, you could make sort of a aggression timer, in which if there are zombies around or shots fired, say in a 200m radius from you, you cannot log out for a couple of minutes.... just some insight!

Wasn't this thread at 50 pages yesterday? Was in process of reading them all' date=' but it seems the thread was culled to 16 pages. Maybe it's a cache issue or something? Anyway...

[/quote']

You misinterpreted those two points.

Point 1 is staying still (let it be standing, crouching or proning)but able to move and interrupt the process if you feel in danger. a small icon would appear over your head when disconnecting in case you're being virtually robbed and want to take it the quit way.

Point 2 happens when you quit with alt+f4, forcing your character to stand the way you left him with point 1 procedures.

This solution does cause more issues to people who want to quit when they hear gunshots, people who want to quit because they're going to die, people who quit because zombies are chasing them, etc.

In short, cowards who don't want to face consequences. Same people that wanted the removal of the bandit skin so they can murder other players easily and quit the game when in danger.

Disconecting to avoid death is an exploit.

Where is the problem....

To be fixed, no doubt.

I've seen it twice today, don't do it, if you do not want to play the game as it should be played...