rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

I know.

And no, that doesn't mean he can do anything. :S

AFAIK he's not working with the source code. Please prove me wrong and take most of what I said about impossibilities back. Heck, I wish he'd work with the source code, the results would be amazing.

But until then it's more than save to assume that h's working within the very same limitation as any other mod out there as well. Just with the added bonus of "inside knowledge" due to his day job.

You can do a lot, and I mean a frigging lot, with the engine, just look at things like ACRE/ACE or I44.

But even that has limits. And basic MP functionality is part of that.

AGAIN THIS ISENT AN MMO its a MOD BASED OF A MILITARY SIM NOT WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Noone is implying DayZ is world of warcraft, but can't you see the problem being raised here ? The point to the mod is to survive. Meaning every choices you make must have consequences. Alerting too many zeds should mean instant death, but for now you can actually just log out of the game and instantly be safe. It is an issue and an exploit that must be solved.

We're just trying to come up with solutions to this issue. These solutions are maybe not the most original out there. But if a mmo like World of warcraft has a clever solution that would work in this mod, why not try it ?

Just remove -1500 blood everytime people disconnect

Lol wut? So if I've got hit by anyone and left 1500 blood I'll need to find food/blood before disconnect?

and let anyone who presses respawn start with over with only 6000 blood.

Respawn button in menu must be removed totally or have pop-up dialog window. Already hit it two times by mistake.

It's not. I posted in a thread that was talking about that' date=' that META-GAMING is explicitly allowed. I.e. infiltrating teamspeak servers and groups etc...

Disconnecting to avoid death IS an exploit.[/quote']You, sir, are a credit to humanity and game developing.

• Like 1

The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space' date=' it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character.

[/quote']

But this doesn't stop people from d/c to avoid death whatsoever.

Its not like this is happening every 5 minutes.

It will rather kill people who are victims of server crashes and debug forest spawns. On some evenings it takes like 2 hours and connecting to 5 different servers to finally be able to play somewhere.

I know.

And no' date=' that doesn't mean he can do anything. :S

AFAIK he's not working with the source code. Please prove me wrong and take most of what I said about impossibilities back. Heck, I wish he'd work with the source code, the results would be amazing.

But until then it's more than save to assume that h's working within the very same limitation as any other mod out there as well. Just with the added bonus of "inside knowledge" due to his day job.

You can do a lot, and I mean a frigging lot, with the engine, just look at things like ACRE/ACE or I44.

But even that has limits. And basic MP functionality is part of that.

[/quote']

Maybe Rocket isn't but someone is working with source code because it has been announced that Bohemia pulled some devs from ArmA3 to patch ArmA 2 because of the mod sucess. So expect a patch.

a 'you DC and re-C too much so you die' system won't help me - the only DC'ers I've suffered have been on the server chatting for hours before I fire at them

such a system would ruin me though, because I DC every half hour to have a smoke/fix a drink/take a call/eat/live in general

avatars stay in game for 90 seconds after you leave the server, or just don't try to fix it

Good on ya, looking forward to it. I just hope that zeds walking/seeing through walls, zeds spawning on your face and munching away etc gets fixed first, because thats what happened the 3 or 4 times I've dc'd to save my ass, nothing sucks more than being killed by bugs. Don't care if I die of taking a risk or being shot by a bandit or griefer, thats on the games terms, bugs aren't.

AGAIN THIS ISENT AN MMO its a MOD BASED OF A MILITARY SIM NOT WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Noone is implying DayZ is world of warcraft' date=' but can't you see the problem being raised here ? The point to the mod is to survive. Meaning every choices you make must have consequences. Alerting too many zeds should mean instant death, but for now you can actually just log out of the game and instantly be safe. It is an issue and an exploit that must be solved.

We're just trying to come up with solutions to this issue. These solutions are maybe not the most original out there. But if a mmo like World of warcraft has a clever solution that would work in this mod, why not try it ?

[/quote']

alerting too many zeds means instant death. ok how should i alert less than too many zeds in town. lets see this. i alert one zed in town which enters warp 4 and sticks to my ass like mmf on poor countries. what should i do? kill melee? there is no melee wep. kill crossbow? you cant cos in his warp 4 even photon torpedo would be useless. so i use gun. lets say makarov. and guess what instead one zed alerted now i have 12. i start to run. instead 12 now we have 26 runners on my ass in warp 4 mod. i manage to run in house. ok now i will get them. but look he is eating me through wall so i fast move to center of room to avoid eating me through wall. but now i have warper through floor and walls just hitting me. so pls advice how the fuck should i alert less than too many zeds?

ROCKET,

Have u ever played TIBIA?

Just make a combat mode (when a zombie is chasing you, you shoot or you get shooted you enter in combat mode), the combat mode will dissapear after like "30 seconds" without any combat. E.g. A zombie chase you then you are in combat mode, after killing it you wait 30 seconds to be able do D/C... If you D/C without waiting your caracter will be there standing still for 30 seconds until it D/C from the main server...

I think it's easy

If you D/C without waiting your caracter will be there standing still for 30 seconds until it D/C from the main server...
Here is the problem. It would have to emulate your character somehow as you are not present.

If you D/C without waiting your caracter will be there standing still for 30 seconds until it D/C from the main server...
Here is the problem. It would have to emulate your character somehow as you are not present.

Many games have this as a bug, so I doubt it would be that hard to implement as a feature. And it wouldn't really have to emulate anything you just lie there while being eaten by zeds.

Why don't you just make it that if you want to disconnect you have to sit still and not move for twenty seconds, but you can still swivel your head, however, if you start getting shot at you are free to move as it just breaks the counter and in order to log off you need to sit still for another twenty seconds. Basically just a cool down timer where you're in control, but moving restarts the count from zero so you're never stuck, frozen, or immobile.

This game is starting to become more Pvp then Survivor .. so if I want to pvp I'll probably play tibia lol .. *Joking* ..

Guys this game is more survivor than pvp so start to look for your own shit and stop killing other for easy stuff.

The main server logs when you login and logout. If it detects you doing this too many times in a short space' date=' it will warn you when you login. If it continues to detect this, then it will punish you by killing your character.

[/quote']

Or how about if it would be like in (every) other mmos that your character have to wait 30 secs or so to log off from the server?(including when killing the process)

That warning implementation would only cause problems. Like as example when you are looking for a good server. Like no night, etc. Or not to mention servers stability and their habbits to get crashed etc.

Some people have suggested even a longer time for log off, but hey comon if you are not able to shoot the person dead from your position or run in the house in next 30 secs or so you don't really deserve a free kill either... especially in a permadeath world. Maybe there could be a different count down when you have hostiles in close proximity. Though how the system could tell if it is your buddy on the same ts or a bandit who is trying to kill you? So basically that would only work if there would be different groups for the players.

Some people have suggested even a longer time for log off' date=' but hey comon if you are not able to shoot the person dead from your position or run in the house in next 30 secs or so you don't really deserve a free kill either... especially in a permadeath world. Maybe there could be a different count down when you have hostiles in close proximity. Though how the system could tell if it is your buddy on the same ts or a bandit who is trying to kill you? So basically that would only work if there would be different groups for the players.

[/quote']

You could implement Domination style grouping system for DayZ and then this system would be good way to end this DCdodging bs.

Log-off timer ftw.

If you get DC'ed by what ever reason it's your bad luck and you should suffer the consequences. Rocket shouldn't care too much about that. In any Onlinegame DC means you might lose stuff or your life. Wether it was because the cat ate your network-cable or you ragequited.

There are way, way too many bugs and balance issues in this, at this stage, to start thinking of ways to punish disconnectors. It's a good idea, but a bit too early.

Just logged out myself in a barn at a tinpot village, which was respawning zeds at a silly rate and burnt through all my rounds in a couple of minutes, 60+ zeds. That is a balance issue, spawn the zeds elsewhere after a village/town is cleared and don't spawn zeds there again for a good 10+ minutes.

I dont think that's the perfect solution 'cause you can still disconnect and wait some time whihc is worth it when you've got a good character. And 'cause I often try to join like 5 servers until I find a good one where I've got enoughh fps, don't have to wait like 15 min and don't spawn in the debug forest. I think there are better solutions like saying you can only disconnect when noone is near or you have to wait then (if thats possible)

A short log out timer (10 sec or less) would work for now.. Unless zombie pathing is fixed you cant really blame people for trying to get away from a stupid death.

Shit is not good with zombies, at this point there is little reason for the glitchy fucks being in the game.

Add some sort of incentive to engaging the zombies please. Shits all fucked imo.

Pathing bullshit, never ending chase, glitching out always hitting you after they are dead... people adapt to work around bullshit like this, can you blame them?