rocket

Disconnecting to avoid death

i agree to some extent' date=' but it really, really needs to be done carefully as was said earlier...

earlier today i logged in, and apparently as i was loading, another player happened upon me. as i entered the game world, someone was in the middle of an assault rifle burst and i was already down to half health and bleeding before even the location text sprang up.

if half of the ideas in this topic had already been implimented, i would have died simply because i logged in at the wrong moment on the wrong server. I'm all for stopping people running away from a firefight, but there are so many problems that could arise from each idea, and could potentially ruin what is an amazing mod (heck, game!)

[/quote']

can be fixed with a "safe zone", where you cant spawn unlesss theres enough space between a player and you. so if you are able to spawn, you are also able to lay down in a corner and try to disconnect low profile.

I've had 2 occassions yesterday where people D/C'ed after I've hit them. Multiple hits but apparently they dc'ed after the first hit so they can save their shiny sniper-rifles and loot from us.

First a guy I've hit with a CZ in cherno firestation, then a guy at kozlovka whom I've hit several times with M4 from afar after four of us were hunting him for half a mile through the forrest.

I really really hope there will be some game-mechanics that will fix this. Personally I'd actually appreciate if the players body would stay present for a while still, even if the player already DC'ed (And by that I mean killable for a few seconds and of course lootable as usual if he dies).

You should always think twice where you leave and if you're really save in your position to leave.

Btw rocket: Are server-admins allowed to ban people using this glitch?

Hunted a bandit for ages, got the drop on him and he disconnected. It's the first time it's happened to me but from what I can see it's fairly common.

Why? Why are people such low lives? It's just wrong and something I've never even considered doing. What's the point in playing a survival/horror/simulation if that's how you're going to play it? Just do the rest of this community a favour and leave, as all you're doing is making more work for the devs, whilst killing any fun, or immersion for people who aren't actually total cunts.

It just goes to show that a lot of people, when left to their own devices, can't be trusted to do things properly and have to be controlled, like 5 year old school children.

I'm for this being dealt with in a harsh manor. Bans or even perma bans should be the norm for this kind of behaviour as it does nothing but troll a good community that people are working very hard in to create/maintain. It's as bad as hacking imo.

Good idea I read in here, that I agree with, is to log people that bypass using a /quit or a logout fuction, and just like, go to CTRL+ALT+DEL in order to leave the game to bypass a ten, to fifteen second wait time. This will give people enough time to do the job.

Finally, awesome news! Though i'm not sure how it will panout with the current state of the game, where you are forced to relog (sometime manytimes in a row) because of bugs in either DayZ or Arma2.

Example: I spawn to my character only to find out that i have 5-7 FPS, i wait a bit (30 secs?) and then i relog to the same server (go to server lobby). Log back in, see the same problem, so I disconnect from the server entirely and choose another. I log to a new server, load up my character and notice that this time my screen is flickering like mad. Then I wait for minute or two for the flickering to stop, it doesn't and OHAI relog again to get rid of it, or change server.

There are atm dozens of reasons why players are forced to log-relog-disconnect in cycles, and I hope that with this "combat logout prevention" you wont create a system that punishes legit players trying to legitly log into the game and being forced to relog-spam by bugs.

Finally' date=' awesome news! Though i'm not sure how it will panout with the current state of the game, where you are forced to relog (sometime manytimes in a row) because of bugs in either DayZ or Arma2.

Example: I spawn to my character only to find out that i have 5-7 FPS, i wait a bit (30 secs?) and then i relog to the same server (go to server lobby). Log back in, see the same problem, so I disconnect from the server entirely and choose another. I log to a new server, load up my character and notice that this time my screen is flickering like mad. Then I wait for minute or two for the flickering to stop, it doesn't and OHAI relog again to get rid of it, or change server.

There are atm dozens of reasons why players are forced to log-relog-disconnect in cycles, and I hope that with this "combat logout prevention" you wont create a system that punishes legit players trying to legitly log into the game and being forced to relog-spam by bugs.

[/quote']

+1

Someone here suggested to keep player avatar present on the server for 60 seconds if they alt+f4 or just disconnect. Why not just do that? Why the warnings? If someone is after you and you D/C then they will still be able to interact with your avatar for the next 60 sec. You log back it' date=' sorry you're dead, your loss.

[/quote']

That's the best solution in my opinion. But i would increase to 120 secs to make sure people can kill disconectors.

In this game, sometimes firefight is slow. Sometimes you take time behind walls waiting for something to happen before you do some stepts to your victim / agressor. So 60 secs would be ineficient in some cases. 2 minutes would be the minimum (in my opinion).

Jesus christ' date=' people. Is it not obvious that it is not possible to keep the player on the server? Think about for a few seconds, and you'll see why its not being done this way. You act like this is in the capabilities of the DayZ team to implement, well, they only really have control over spawns, inventory, health, sickness, temperature, and all that other stuff they added. They can't just keep a player in the server.

[/quote']

Never say never.

Besides... DayZ will be implemented in the next update of Arma 2 OA as official mod (as i've read in some interview). So.... this mod is not another mod. This mod is THE MOD, and Bohemia will supoort it.

So, i asume that is posible.

Well does that Mean well be able to host our own servers Since i did BUY Arma 2 and OA and Since its IMplmented in the update

Why not a simple system comparable to most MMO's?

You want to log out so you click disconnect' date=' a message pops up: "Your character will be taken offline in X seconds (counting down realtime). You can still see your character during this time but can't take any actions. So if someting happening in this timespan you click cancel and react. You're back in the game and if you wanna quit you'll just have to do it over again.

Alternatively, instead of waiting, you just click "disconnect now". You get a warning: "Are you sure you want to quit, your character will remain in the game for "X" more seconds." And you click: "Yes, whatever".

It probably has been suggested...

Cos the way you explained it, it will mean you can log out during a fight and get no penalty, you only get the penalty if you do it over and over again, right...? Doesn't seem a consistent solution at all.

[/quote']

This^^^^^^ should work :)

You guys are all pussy's and whiners he D/cedOMGAWD stop crying dude these guys have more to worry about then you being able to look pixels of Items jesus christ be thankfull you can play the damn thing to begin with yeah it sucks but o frecking well looks like your gunna have to look harder for that ammo SURVIVE you keep saying it so do it and stop bitching

After instant disconnection your character still need to be in game for 15-30 sec. After normal disc you should have quit timer. That will solve problem, many mmo have this.

AGAIN THIS ISENT AN MMO its a MOD BASED OF A MILITARY SIM NOT WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Finally' date=' awesome news! Though i'm not sure how it will panout with the current state of the game, where you are forced to relog (sometime manytimes in a row) because of bugs in either DayZ or Arma2.

[/quote']

Absolutely agree! I do understand that reconnect when attacked - exploit, but still i'm forced to do this x times at a day. For example - i've sneaked in some house, but "smart" zombie, who dont really care, broke my legs right through the wall. I know this is alpha, and I know that this is only a game, but still - it's a survival game, and I don't wanna die every 30 mins because of random bug.

In short - reconnect needs to be fixed only after another major bugs.

[/quote']

Absolutely agree! I do understand that reconnect when attacked - exploit, but still i'm forced to do this x times at a day. For example - i've sneaked in some house, but "smart" zombie, who dont really care, broke my legs right through the wall. I know this is alpha, and I know that this is only a game, but still - it's a survival game, and I don't wanna die every 30 mins because of random bug.

In short - reconnect needs to be fixed only after another major bugs.

Dicsonnection exploit completely destroys Dayz gameplay. You are almost immortal. With it you are just destroying all the survival extreme gameplay. Pvp is almost useless. People are waiting to get in serv for 10-20 mins and 15-30 sec wont make people rage.

Dicsonnection exploit completely destroys Dayz gameplay. You are almost immortal. With it you are just destroying all the survival extreme gameplay. Pvp is almost useless. People are waiting to get in serv for 10-20 mins and 15-30 sec wont make people rage.

PvP - maybe. Any other gameplay types almost useless without disconnecting, because you will die. Not because you failed, but because of some lag or bug. I've died a lot of times because of this, and it's boring to start again and again only to die one more time without any reason.

i agree to some extent' date=' but it really, really needs to be done carefully as was said earlier...

earlier today i logged in, and apparently as i was loading, another player happened upon me. as i entered the game world, someone was in the middle of an assault rifle burst and i was already down to half health and bleeding before even the location text sprang up.

if half of the ideas in this topic had already been implimented, i would have died simply because i logged in at the wrong moment on the wrong server. I'm all for stopping people running away from a firefight, but there are so many problems that could arise from each idea, and could potentially ruin what is an amazing mod (heck, game!)

[/quote']

In future you could probably avoid bad spawns by controlling where to log off. If however you died because you got randomly assigned spawn then what is the problem, means you were starting over, what difference it makes that you got killed? You had nothing to lose anyway.

and it's boring to start again and again only to die one more time without any reason.

In what way is it boring? Every time I start anew I get a different experience, not boring, not by a long shot.

PvP - maybe. Any other gameplay types almost useless without disconnecting' date=' because you will die. Not because you failed, but because of some lag or bug. I've died a lot of times because of this, and it's boring to start again and again only to die one more time without any reason.

[/quote']

Exploit is still exploit, using it for avoiding bugs doesnt make it legal. Agree bugs and connection problems must be solved too.

and it's boring to start again and again only to die one more time without any reason.

In what way is it boring? Every time I start anew I get a different experience' date=' not boring, not by a long shot.

[/quote']

I'm playing with friends, so each new character means ~30 mins of running (to my friends) before real fun starts. It tooks about hour or two to find server where all of us can play (usually because me and my wife playing from one router and one of us gets kicked), then half of hour we're trying to find each other... And then server crashed\zombie killing one of us through the wall\bugged tree make me bleeding\one of us respawning in debug area\etc. May be it's just me, but to play DayZ for a couple of hours I need to spent another 3-4 hrs in lobbys\server browser, so each death = headache.

In what way is it boring? Every time I start anew I get a different experience' date=' not boring, not by a long shot.

[/quote']

I'm playing with friends, so each new character means ~30 mins of running (to my friends) before real fun starts. It tooks about hour or two to find server where all of us can play (usually because me and my wife playing from one router and one of us gets kicked), then half of hour we're trying to find each other... And then server crashed\zombie killing one of us through the wall\bugged tree make me bleeding\one of us respawning in debug area\etc. May be it's just me, but to play DayZ for a couple of hours I need to spent another 3-4 hrs in lobbys\server browser, so each death = headache.

This top is about disconnection exploit, not about other bugs isnt it? Other bugs also must be fixed, but saying that you are fixing one bugs using another is just make no sense...

This top is about disconnection exploit' date=' not about other bugs isnt it? Other bugs also must be fixed, but saying that you are fixing one bugs using another is just make no sense...

[/quote']

Exactly what i'm said before- major bugs should be fixed before or at the same time with disconnect fix, imo.

Just remove -1500 blood everytime people disconnect and let anyone who presses respawn start with over with only 6000 blood.

That'll ease the stress on the servers.

[/quote']

This top is about disconnection exploit, not about other bugs isnt it? Other bugs also must be fixed, but saying that you are fixing one bugs using another is just make no sense...

mickika r you fucking normal? man if there was normal play enabled with zombies noone would disconnect. i personaly never disconnected after being hit or anything in pvp but problem is in speed zombies. kuzis jebote led? eating you through walls and getting to see you even if it is impossible. understand that. so than what you just say this is exploit and i am gonn let him eat me through wall or chase me by his super speed abilities to eat me and throw away all eq i got???? you must be eating some sick dope mate:) pass it on:)

Just remove -1500 blood everytime people disconnect and let anyone who presses respawn start with over with only 6000 blood.

That'll ease the stress on the servers.

now this is some serious suggestion!

+1

Why do all these posts think that logging out once or twice will instantly kill your characters?

Rocket never said how much the threshold was and what the time frame was.

Those with crashing computers, do you crash every two minutes or something? If so, you should probably do something else with your computer instead of playing.

Same for d/c due to routers/connection in general.

Read the bloody server description before joining, that'll help everyone in the long run as it lessens the strain on the servers. Not just go in, hop out and log in somewhere else six times in a row. If you die to that, well deserved I say.

Someone said that he'd d/c when he sees someone shooting at him right when he logs in. And how will that kill you? You log out once in a situation were hardly anyone would blame you for it. You're not "doing this too many times in a short space", as rocket put it, right?

Perspective and common sense, people, use it.

And keeping the avatar of someone on the server after he d/c is most probably impossible due to how ArmA works and always has worked.

I've played the series basically since 2001 and never have I seen a MP mission where the character you had played stayed on the server after a d/c of any description.

Not saying it's impossible, especially keeping rocket's "connections" in mind, but I'd be incredibly surprised to see it happen.

Also this is not a game, it's a mod.

It's limited by the engine of the original game. A mod changes or adds to the assets of the base game. As such there are certain limitation to what can be done.

Again, perspective and common sense. Use it and make this mod a better place for all of us.